PDA

View Full Version : Faction War

thornh
07-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Who wrote the mathematical formula for Faction War, a former IRS employee? Is it me or is this just the most convoluted algorithm Ubi could dream up?

Kidding aside, Faction War needs some new math. Why not keep it simple? If your faction deploys the most assets in a territory it's theirs. Get rid of the defense bonus, etc. I'm so tired of deploying assets and having my faction sitting in a very good position only to go to bed and wake up to see a faction that was 8 points behind suddenly 6 points ahead. Just base the whole thing on deployed assets and stop giving a bonus for sucking the previous round.

Then there is the conspiracy theory that the whole thing is scripted. I want to believe it is not scripted but I am starting to have my doubts. Vikings won Season 1 and didn't get a new hero. If the rumors are true (and they were for Season 2) then the new heroes should be Viking and Knight. It will be very interesting to see if the Samurai win season 2 and do not get a new hero.

Faction War is an intriguing concept that has been poorly executed. It could be a much more viable part of the game if it were given more meaning and actually made some sense. People are passionate about the faction they choose to represent but, in the end, how does it really matter?

My faction is done for this season. Personally, only to help disprove the conspiracy theory, I will be doing what I can to contribute to a Knight's win this season. I have nothing against all the honorable Samurai out there but I really hope, for as convoluted as it is, the Faction War is actually something that the players are contributing to and not just some marketing ploy by Ubi.

RatedChaotic
07-12-2017, 07:00 PM
I felt the same way after seeing the Knights lose every round last time. Theres that feeling I have that something is wrong with this Faction War or the math behind it.. But I just cant pinpoint it. but it looks like the Vikings has what the knights had prior.

The game has many bugs in the combat system, heroes, matchmaking, connectivity. I think its safe to say theres bugs in the faction war aswell. We just dont know about them. Because we cant see the whole picture.

Has the Faction War algorithm even been shown to the public? If not Now we know why.

SenBotsu893
07-12-2017, 07:14 PM
there are soooo many things not explained about the faction war. all we ever got was something like:
"just deploy war assests to support your faction"

and thats just simply not true at all. if what the devs said about the faction population is true then the samurai would automatically generate the most war assests.
yet the vikings had the biggest impact in the first season. and now in season 2 the least populated faction (knights) have all of a sudden soooo much force.
seriously there are hidden factors that greatly change the course of the faction war.

i wouldt say its completly rigged but it just feels like that the playerbase has simply no ifluence over the outcome.
it boils just down to dumb luck when the round ends.

and another thing that rubbs me the wrong way is the rewards for the faction war winners.
lets say you choose the vikings and win the faction war, why do you get rewarded with things for non-viking characters?
id assume if you pledge yourself for the vikings youd get rewards for vikings. whats the point in choosing a faction if the reward is the same regardless of choice?

thornh
07-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I don't know, it all just comes down to the very last turn of the round each time and there is no real strategy. I play v. AI with matchmaking off most of the time and, while I don't suffer disconnections, my assets are much lower so I have to play longer to deploy more assets. Last night I really wanted to help the Vikings try to pull out one round so I decided to play PvP. I did get a few good Dominion matches in but then got three DCs in a row right at the end of a match. 20 minutes wasted and I went back to bots.

It kills me that I love this game so much. I have only missed playing two days since launch. The time and money spent promoting this game was insane. I have the three helmet collector's edition and it is one of the best collector's editions I have ever bought. The art direction, environment design, character modeling, character animation and sound design (when it works correctly) are all outstanding. It is so close, and yet so very far, from being a classic. So damn frustrating.

Blasto95
07-12-2017, 08:21 PM
there are soooo many things not explained about the faction war. all we ever got was something like:
"just deploy war assests to support your faction"

and thats just simply not true at all. if what the devs said about the faction population is true then the samurai would automatically generate the most war assests.
yet the vikings had the biggest impact in the first season. and now in season 2 the least populated faction (knights) have all of a sudden soooo much force.
seriously there are hidden factors that greatly change the course of the faction war.

i wouldt say its completly rigged but it just feels like that the playerbase has simply no ifluence over the outcome.
it boils just down to dumb luck when the round ends.

and another thing that rubbs me the wrong way is the rewards for the faction war winners.
lets say you choose the vikings and win the faction war, why do you get rewarded with things for non-viking characters?
id assume if you pledge yourself for the vikings youd get rewards for vikings. whats the point in choosing a faction if the reward is the same regardless of choice?

At one point they did explain how the most popular faction will receive less war assests per person. They never, to my knowledge, released any specifics or math on it. Like Ive always wondered is it balanced evenly? Does a popular faction get any bonus at all?

1 Person = 10 votes
or
10 people = 1 vote each
Essentially this is what they are doing I believe. But do the 10 people = the 1 person faction? Or maybe the 10 people get 1.1 vote each for a small advantage?

In the end, the larger faction is at a disadvantage because that means more people are required to deploy war assests.
This is also why I think Samurai or Knights, whichever loses, will not win next round either. People will believe the next faction is up to win, over populate it, and allow a smaller faction to claim victory.

bmason1000
07-12-2017, 08:23 PM
...if what the devs said about the faction population is true then the samurai would automatically generate the most war assests.

it boils just down to dumb luck when the round ends...
Number of assets is determined by the size of your factions population to balance out. Larger population, players generate less assets. Which is exactly why the samurai don't automatically win every round, vikings did better last season and why knights are doing much better this time. Thats exactly how they explained population and assets, its possible you just misunderstood or missed that bit of information.

As for luck when the round ends...eh, you're not too far off on that one haha

UbiNoty
07-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Who wrote the mathematical formula for Faction War, a former IRS employee? Is it me or is this just the most convoluted algorithm Ubi could dream up?

Kidding aside, Faction War needs some new math. Why not keep it simple? If your faction deploys the most assets in a territory it's theirs. Get rid of the defense bonus, etc. I'm so tired of deploying assets and having my faction sitting in a very good position only to go to bed and wake up to see a faction that was 8 points behind suddenly 6 points ahead. Just base the whole thing on deployed assets and stop giving a bonus for sucking the previous round.

Then there is the conspiracy theory that the whole thing is scripted. I want to believe it is not scripted but I am starting to have my doubts. Vikings won Season 1 and didn't get a new hero. If the rumors are true (and they were for Season 2) then the new heroes should be Viking and Knight. It will be very interesting to see if the Samurai win season 2 and do not get a new hero.

Faction War is an intriguing concept that has been poorly executed. It could be a much more viable part of the game if it were given more meaning and actually made some sense. People are passionate about the faction they choose to represent but, in the end, how does it really matter?

My faction is done for this season. Personally, only to help disprove the conspiracy theory, I will be doing what I can to contribute to a Knight's win this season. I have nothing against all the honorable Samurai out there but I really hope, for as convoluted as it is, the Faction War is actually something that the players are contributing to and not just some marketing ploy by Ubi.

We're currently in the process of trying to give faction war a makeover based off of all the feedback we've heard on it. We want to give the faction war more substance, and are also looking to find ways to either make it more transparent as to it's mechanics, or simplify it to give it more clarity.

I will say that it's definitely not scripted, but I do think there are a numerous factors that influence the outcomes that many are either 1. not aware of, or 2. don't utilize. So that's also something for us to work on improving.

thornh
07-13-2017, 01:10 PM
We're currently in the process of trying to give faction war a makeover based off of all the feedback we've heard on it. We want to give the faction war more substance, and are also looking to find ways to either make it more transparent as to it's mechanics, or simplify it to give it more clarity.

I will say that it's definitely not scripted, but I do think there are a numerous factors that influence the outcomes that many are either 1. not aware of, or 2. don't utilize. So that's also something for us to work on improving.

Thanks UbiNoty. I appreciate the feedback and I think an overhaul of Faction War will be very welcome by all.

The_B0G_
07-13-2017, 01:34 PM
As far as the Vikings being in the position the Knights were in last round I think I know the reasoning there.

Vikings won the last round with the lowest population but on average their players had tge highest skill out of all factions, therefore earning a lot more assets per match.

What I think happened after season 1 is a lot of the unskilled players from the Knight faction jumped on the Viking bandwagon. So while Viking population went up after season 1, it was a lot of bad players, so they lost their X factor that won them the first season.

I almost jumped ship to Vikings myself after seaaon 1, then I seen all the faction war stats that ubi released and understood how we lost, even though I as still salty about not winning a single round in season 1 I decided not to switch.

thornh
07-13-2017, 01:57 PM
I can't remember if it was on his forum or on reddit but someone a while ago made the suggestion that we should be allowed to predetermine where our assets are deployed and after a match they are automatically deployed there. I know there are times I forget to manually deploy.

Draghmar
07-13-2017, 02:00 PM
What I think happened after season 1 is a lot of the unskilled players from the Knight faction jumped on the Viking bandwagon. So while Viking population went up after season 1, it was a lot of bad players, so they lost their X factor that won them the first season.
I thought too that would be the case but they said on the stream that population flow between faction was very small.

Ulrichvonbek111
07-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Very honourable.
You are Viking you say from the very beginning,,respect.
Though I'm of the thinking otherwise.
Why when you say that you'll contribute to knight faction win that yet you have no dislike and wish no malice to the other,,to prove what...
Like i said if you're Viking respect given for season 1 win.
Yet again I'm thinking otherwise.
Could you really be a knight trying to form a mind set ?
In season 1 there was an element of the knights that got so resentful that blew their supposed Chivalry right out of the water.
So I ask you this are you truly a Viking without malice or resentment ?
Or....
Are you really one of the few bitter resentful up to the usual shenanigans an embarrassment to the true Chivlerous Knights ?

Why do I say this..
Well it's because if you are a sincere being,,no biases,,honest and non resentful then why even consider trying to play this hand..
Even showing your hand straight after the end of the round draws great suspicions....

So are you a knight at a very deceitful strategy,,,
Because I cannot believe for a second that a warrior culture and ethics such as the Nordic warriors would even come up with what you've come out with...
It would be their gain or no ones,,never sharing spoils with outsiders,

Straight after the end of the round you came up with your statement. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Vakris_One
07-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Hey UbiNoty. Obviously I don't know the inner workings of the Faction War mechanics but the one thing that I see as a huge flaw and very discouraging for us players is the fact that it always comes down to whoever wins the last turn of the round. It doesn't matter how successful your chosen faction has been throughout the round or even the whole Season because only the last 2 hours of a round count. It's very much based on outright dumb luck as to who wins rather than actual long term strategies.

I find that to be very dissapointing because it makes everything except the last turn completely meaningless and a waste of time for the players. A better system would be one where the cumulutive efforts of your faction are counted so that you can feel like your contributions always mean something rather than: 'Oh, I'll just book time off work 2 hours before the round/Season is scheduled to end and make sure to push at the very end so my faction secures the grand prize at the very last second even though it has been doing sweet f-all the entire Season.'

thornh
07-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Very honourable.
You are Viking you say from the very beginning,,respect.
Though I'm of the thinking otherwise...

I have real Norse blood in my veins. In real life I am a pagan, a heathen. I believe in the Old Way. I have no love for Knights. Knights are defenders of a belief system with which I do not agree. But I respect both Knights and Samurai who fight with honor to defend their beliefs.

However, regarding just the Faction War and my concern that it may be scripted, I would like to see the Knights win to disprove the conspiracy theory. If the Season 3 rumors had a new Samurai hero instead of a Knight then I would have wanted the Samurai to win to disprove the theory. The only faction I truly care about is the Viking Faction. Period.

OokiireteHoshii
07-13-2017, 05:30 PM
If you want to improve this ****show of a war get rid of rounds: 2 and a half months long without timers (only start and end) and whoever dropped the most war assets wins. A weekly reward to everybody that contributes (i mean a REAL reward) and GG. Everybody would be much more invested in this, otherwise it will remain a timezone-based minigame.

thornh
07-13-2017, 05:52 PM
get rid of rounds

I agree 100%. No rounds. Just one continuous war for the whole season with accumulating assets.

CandleInTheDark
07-13-2017, 06:21 PM
I agree 100%. No rounds. Just one continuous war for the whole season with accumulating assets.

One thing they could do if they did this is to have the shifting borders based on who currently holds the most assets in a zone (though likely you would need a target score, say 55% or 40% if all sides contest a zone, to stop it being a matter of who gets there first), if your faction has the territories surrounding a zone then that one loses the contested status and has those asset relocations reset should the zone become contested again (since you don't keep full armies in areas there is no one to fight). That way you keep the territories aspect and you keep the bonus for deploying assets on the front the game mode is but it is on an ever shifting map that could change at any time. The only problem I do see is if a faction gets wiped off the map though if home bas is always safe, the fact they only have one territory might get them territories back over time.

Ulrichvonbek111
07-13-2017, 07:33 PM
I have real Norse blood in my veins. In real life I am a pagan, a heathen. I believe in the Old Way. I have no love for Knights. Knights are defenders of a belief system with which I do not agree. But I respect both Knights and Samurai who fight with honor to defend their beliefs.

However, regarding just the Faction War and my concern that it may be scripted, I would like to see the Knights win to disprove the conspiracy theory. If the Season 3 rumors had a new Samurai hero instead of a Knight then I would have wanted the Samurai to win to disprove the theory. The only faction I truly care about is the Viking Faction. Period.

I respect your reply my Nordic friend,,though if you take sides by contributing your assets to the knights then you my friend may be actually creating another conspiracy theory,,this being the brave fearless Nordic warriors aided the knights to victory..
Now look at history,,was ever once your abused or slaughtered by those from the East..no.
The knights and their Barons murdered many of your kin in so many brutal ways as to send a message to who was boss.

Myself I am Scottish and so proud to be so.
Scotland through history have given birth to many brave warriors considering our population compared to that of england ..
As you know one important battle was against a foe that had 32,000 better trained warriors against 7,600 mostly untrained warriors,, farmers and monks...and the brave won..decimating proud Edwards army against all odds.

I posted what I did out of concern my friend,,not maliciously.
I'm glad you replied and as I said respect to you.

I've always been steeped in Japanese history and culture since an early age..I'm now 52 and had waited for a game like this to appear for decades,,in fact I'd given up waiting.
I've practiced Kenjutsu and Aikido for 27 years,,so when this game was in closed Beta I played (fought) and was delighted.
I swore my allegiance to the Bushido path (Samurai)as I consider myself as being on that path for nearly 30 years.
During the closed Alpha,,Beta and open Beta the Samurai took nothing in game and outside of game i.e. forums,YouTube etc they took a lot of abuse and severely riddiculd...
All the knights cries of "God wills it" and kill the weebs were and still are really pathetic..
We,,you the Nordic warriors fighting for your Knut and me for the Shogun both fought fiercely and relentlessly.
In the background there was a certain resentful percentage of knights who just couldn't get their heads round how the Samurai had achieved so much compared to before when we had nothing.
The forums and other discussion points were being infiltrated by malicious,,hate mongering and scheming % of knights...
They actually even on here tried or suggest to the Vikings an alliance to "attack the weebs"....mmmmm.
Respect to the Vikings because they held their integrity and honour,,thus no alliance with the treacherous zealot bile vomiters
I do not take anything away from the Knights who are Chivalrous
they have my respect...but the others yes they no who they are I hold you in contempt.

All I ask of you my warrior kin is to be fair and don't punish the Samurai just to prove a point that in itself deemed a conspiracy amongst many conspiracies and even more.
Deploy with an honest strong Nordic forgiving heart and open mind..
Thank you and once again respect.