PDA

View Full Version : Turtling on Console

GrimBlitzer
07-11-2017, 07:06 PM
I don't know about any of you fellow console players, but I have recently come across quite a few players that are turtling hardcore in Duel and Brawl modes (PS4) just so they don't lose.

I mean it's bad, this morning I had a few games, but noticeably against a Centurion player, who wouldn't attack, he would just stare. He didn't even PARRY ME for at all! he just blocked EVERYTHING I threw at him, I could only trick him with Lawbringer's "50/50". Even then he started to learn to wait for the shove, then kick, and once I was in a wall at 100% health, I went to 1 bar before I could get up and get out of stamina.

Now I realize this isn't new by any means. Centurion is a clear problem and he is a poster boy for the Turtle Meta, but damn. It is really boring and frustrating to fight players like that, not just Centurions.

I can say though, if the defense patch had chip, and it was implemented before that exact fight, he would have DIED from chip alone. That's how much he wasn't attacking.

I like to throw attacks out there, aside from attempting to parry, because it's fun, kinda makes it unpredictable.

My two cents anyways.

Blasto95
07-11-2017, 07:54 PM
I ply on console as well, but have not played in weeks. Last I played, rarely ran into turtles. But I also rarely played Duels. Yet my friend continues to play religiously and has said as well hes noticed a lot more turtles on console.

Just like patches, most console players are not actively looking up these techniques from computer. A few will and then pass it on to some other console players, who then crush another console player who has to emulate it and so on and so on. I feel like console just takes a little longer to catch onto the meta.

Tyrjo
07-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Imo the worst turtlers on console (PS4) are Lawbringers at the moment. Free shove on block, who came up with that idea? It promotes turtling like hell. Whatever offense you try to do is punished instantly. :(

GrimBlitzer
07-12-2017, 06:05 AM
What's funny is, I main the Lawbringer, and I only shove after dodging, I can't remember the last time I shoved on block, but when I do it's usually against a warlord or centurion turtle.

Legacy_Zealot
07-12-2017, 08:57 AM
I play on Xbone. Ran into a lot of turtle lawbringers, he is a counter attacker to be fair. Ran into a rep 30 Orochi that literally would not do anything but wait for me to attack, must have been an exciting ride to rep 30 for him. Stopped playing duel because it is just a staring contest.:rolleyes:

Dude_of_Valor
07-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Yep seen a few more turtles but know that I have been more patient in my play as well recently. I think that if you are playing a class that has turtle openers (SB from a Warden for example), and someone is sitting and waiting, then the world is your oyster (on console this is).

Just need to force them to react and make a mistake. Be more patient, move in and out of range and mix up your actions. If you end up winning because you just hit them with a zone attack or a top light then so be it.

Kaijudub
07-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Yep seen a few more turtles but know that I have been more patient in my play as well recently. I think that if you are playing a class that has turtle openers (SB from a Warden for example), and someone is sitting and waiting, then the world is your oyster (on console this is).

Yes and no. Sb is pretty unsafe in the console world now especially against versed players. I myself have had to really slow down the way i play recently with the Warden so am probably adding to the turtle vibes. Defo noticed it creeping into console play, although against pk's and zerks its pretty hard to block everything.

Personally LB's and Conqs are the main culprits for turtling on the ps4. Conq kinda has to i guess and since the shove on block thing was given to LB's its their best route. I kinda feel scared to attack LB's now, especially a good one. SB will sometimes get me in but it feels like their shove is more successful.

Dude_of_Valor
07-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Yes and no. Sb is pretty unsafe in the console world now especially against versed players. I myself have had to really slow down the way i play recently with the Warden so am probably adding to the turtle vibes. Defo noticed it creeping into console play, although against pk's and zerks its pretty hard to block everything.

Personally LB's and Conqs are the main culprits for turtling on the ps4. Conq kinda has to i guess and since the shove on block thing was given to LB's its their best route. I kinda feel scared to attack LB's now, especially a good one. SB will sometimes get me in but it feels like their shove is more successful.

When I face a LB (and conqueror for that matter) with my warden, I keep my guard up, as the must respect my fast light attack. Then I use my zone attack when in range. This means they must now deal with two different attacks, and struggle to guess where it comes from. With that mind set, I can start to dance around them, maybe catch them with a light into SB into two side hits.

If they do block into a shove, it is 50/50, but rarely do I see LB mix up their actions from light attacks or GB's.

As for a conqueror, one tip is (and you have to be quick) charge your SB especially after a hit, and as they go to dodge you cancel yours dodge and then SB again.

Agree it is hard to keep up with PK and Beserkers. Not found a viable solution to them yet!

Sierra_125
07-12-2017, 01:37 PM
I main LB and its true, it is difficult to resist the allure of the block shove. Especially when you consider how slow and obvious his assault attempts can be m.

The_B0G_
07-12-2017, 01:46 PM
I only play dominion so when I face someone who just sits and stares, trying to turtle I'll either just leave and head to a zone, or call help over and sit and wait with him, then gank the sh** out of him.

After I do that a couple of times they usually play more aggressively.

UbiNoty
07-12-2017, 10:29 PM
I don't know about any of you fellow console players, but I have recently come across quite a few players that are turtling hardcore in Duel and Brawl modes (PS4) just so they don't lose.

I mean it's bad, this morning I had a few games, but noticeably against a Centurion player, who wouldn't attack, he would just stare. He didn't even PARRY ME for at all! he just blocked EVERYTHING I threw at him, I could only trick him with Lawbringer's "50/50". Even then he started to learn to wait for the shove, then kick, and once I was in a wall at 100% health, I went to 1 bar before I could get up and get out of stamina.

Now I realize this isn't new by any means. Centurion is a clear problem and he is a poster boy for the Turtle Meta, but damn. It is really boring and frustrating to fight players like that, not just Centurions.

I can say though, if the defense patch had chip, and it was implemented before that exact fight, he would have DIED from chip alone. That's how much he wasn't attacking.

I like to throw attacks out there, aside from attempting to parry, because it's fun, kinda makes it unpredictable.

My two cents anyways.

Sorry to hear that - running across a hardcore turtler can really put a damper on the mood, but at least the def meta changes should be here not too long from now. You'll be able to test it out on the next PT at the end of the month. Snd while I'm not entirely sure chip damage will be in it, we have invested some heavy thought into it - so we'll see when it comes!

UbiNoty
07-12-2017, 10:29 PM

My two cents anyways.

Sorry to hear that - running across a hardcore turtler can really put a damper on the mood, but at least the def meta changes should be here not too long from now. You'll be able to test it out on the next PT at the end of the month. Snd while I'm not entirely sure chip damage will be in it, we have invested some heavy thought into it - so we'll see when it comes!