PDA

View Full Version : Will For Honor go free to play??

Metastopholis
07-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Hello all!

Just watched a video talking about weather for honor will go free to play in the future, it is 100% worth a watch if you have the time and some strong points are brought up for why it would be a good thing.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCe-QbcY_Y&lc=z132shnzlrb4tvk1b22kt5grmnr0tx3gp04

I know people instantly freak out and dismiss any talks of it going free to play and will refuse to even consider it, but due to the state of the game and the fact it does not look like there is going to all of a sudden be a massive resurgence of players...i agree that it is time to at least start talking about the game going free to play in order to prop the player base back up on PC and consoles, the game already is set up to support the F2P system due to the in game cash shop...and as long as the right compensation was given to the player base who brought the game at launch i see no reason for the game to not go free to play, except for peoples own personal issues with F2P.

Would love to hear what everyone else thinks about this, and please at least watch the video before throwing out dumb comments..i want this thread to be reasonable to some extent XD.

Draghmar
07-11-2017, 12:35 PM
I think it will be F2P at some point. But not sooner then at the beginning of S4 but most likely after S4 ends because then change like that won't impact those who payed for Season Pass. You may say it would be almost clean start for FH.

The_B0G_
07-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Free2play games are the worst games out there, I hope it doesn't go that route.

Draghmar
07-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Free2play games are the worst games out there, I hope it doesn't go that route.
I can't agree with that. Most of them are because their business model revolves around micro-transactions. So they were build in F2P in mind. But there are games that adapt F2P model in a way that doesn't make gameplay garbage. For example Guild Wars 2 released base game for free when they introduced expansion. It didn't affect those who bought base game and then expansion in any negative way. But it brought more players to play and that is good thing.

Gray360UK
07-11-2017, 12:42 PM
I think it will be F2P at some point. But not sooner then at the beginning of S4 but most likely after S4 ends because then change like that won't impact those who payed for Season Pass. You may say it would be almost clean start for FH.

This. If it ever happens, and it's a big if, then it will be well after the Season Pass is no longer of value. They will have sales first (as they just have) and the price will get lower and lower, and then maybe if no one is playing it next year they might think about a F2P model that makes them money with Steel sales.

The_B0G_
07-11-2017, 12:50 PM
I can't agree with that. Most of them are because their business model revolves around micro-transactions. So they were build in F2P in mind. But there are games that adapt F2P model in a way that doesn't make gameplay garbage. For example Guild Wars 2 released base game for free when they introduced expansion. It didn't affect those who bought base game and then expansion in any negative way. But it brought more players to play and that is good thing.

Exactly, it revolves around micro transactions. In my mind any game that does this is pure poison, like 95% of all mobile games.

Games like Tanks for console are what come to mind, oh you want that sweet new tank everyone is using and kicking your a** with? Well you can either play the game non stop for a month to grind the in game currency up for it, or drop 10 bucks and have it now.

This is the sort of thing I mean when I say they are tge worst games out there, the games themselves can be very good, but they reward wallet warriors and not people who put the time in.

Like Gray said, it will be a long time before they ever consider this anyway.

Tyrjo
07-11-2017, 12:52 PM
I started a topic on this earlier, but it was closed because people started insulting each other. So be careful now in here.

Draghmar
07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Exactly, it revolves around micro transactions. In my mind any game that does this is pure poison, like 95% of all mobile games.
Yes, but like with balancing classes in FH you actually have to know how to do it properly. In GW2 there are no advantages in weapon stats. Only appearance. This means all you can buy is how you look. And you can of course get that also by playing - in over 2000h I've spent in GW2 I bought gems only once for two reasons: I wanted to support devs and I wanted one of the skins.

So it is true that most F2P games made it like the Tanks you've mentioned but that doesn't mean it is not possible to actually make it good.

The_B0G_
07-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Yes, but like with balancing classes in FH you actually have to know how to do it properly. In GW2 there are no advantages in weapon stats. Only appearance. This means all you can buy is how you look. And you can of course get that also by playing - in over 2000h I've spent in GW2 I bought gems only once for two reasons: I wanted to support devs and I wanted one of the skins.

So it is true that most F2P games made it like the Tanks you've mentioned but that doesn't mean it is not possible to actually make it good.

I guess it can be done right, but far more F2P games I've seen make it so you move at a snails pace without spending money. I haven't played GW2 but it sounds like that would be an alright way to do it.

Even just making it cosmetics only for microtransactions I don't really like, unless you can still get all the cosmetics from playing too like you said.

Draghmar
07-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Even just making it cosmetics only for microtransactions I don't really like, unless you can still get all the cosmetics from playing too like you said.
I'm not great fan of the micro-transactions either but I now that in the times we live it's hard to maintain game for longer period of time without some constant income. Previously it was expansions that provided that but there are more games right now and gamers are often jump very soon into other game so you would lost too many players between releases. That's why there are DLCs and micro-transactions, things that can hold player a little longer.

Trbevis
07-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Hmmm not sure on the free to play idea for this game, but i would love a free to play like weekend or something, a lot of my friends ditched this before season two for multiple reasons, id like them to at least try it again without paying, even if it is for judt the weekend, it wasnt the gsme that out them off, just everything else that was going on at the start of the game

Gray360UK
07-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Hmmm not sure on the free to play idea for this game, but i would love a free to play like weekend or something, a lot of my friends ditched this before season two for multiple reasons, id like them to at least try it again without paying, even if it is for judt the weekend, it wasnt the gsme that out them off, just everything else that was going on at the start of the game

I am used to the problems you get in For Honor, the errors, the disconnections, the outages, the re-syncs, the rage-quits, the lost progress, the freezes, the failed matchmaking attempts, the Centurion gank squads, the unfair match-ups, the cheesing and griefing. I guess I expect these things and have accepted them as part of the deal. What other choice do I have?

However, most sane people who game to relax and be entertained who sit down in front of For Honor for the first time are highly likely to end up smashing their controller into the wall before uninstalling the game, pausing only to come here to tell Ubisoft to go F themselves. The game is not in a good enough state imho to make any attempt to encourage new blood to join viable. We're just going to end up with more pissed off people.

Lumina-US
07-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Well, im not not sure if thats really in Ubis plans, but if it does, im gonna tell you that i want EVERY fack1ng penny back that i spent on this game EVER - 200$ + that is!

Trbevis
07-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Solid reply gray. Yeah i am also used to everything that goes on, but yeah everything you said there makes sense, shame though i would love for the numbers to increase

EDG_Avocado
07-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Free 2 play is the last hope. Free 2 play + Servers.
Otherwise the game won't have any players coming back.
This game will have low amount of players even if it is f2p without better connection issues.

AzureSky.
07-11-2017, 05:49 PM
As the first guy that suggested this (some months ago)

I think its the best idea to make it F2P, season pass owners and game owners can get new heros for free (season pass) and with a disccount (game owners) also with extra unique cosmetics, etc

The game uses P2P, that network system will get a lot better with a increase in the quantity of players (more players in a region = more green matches)

The game already has a F2P economy, these prices of customization are of a free to play, if they gave us some first customization options to use (and win extra by buying them with steel) it would be ok, but they didnt do it, they just gave us flat heros with nothing more.

Honestly the only problem is that some people think they are not going to give us any kind of compensation for going free to play, IMO i really dont care about them, i had a lot of fun with this game when it worked, yeah a disccount on new heros could be nice.

Metastopholis
07-11-2017, 09:01 PM
I truly think if they manage to fix all the bugs and connection issues and get the game to a semi balanced point, going free to play will give them the player boost needed to turn things around. it seems to be one of their only options left.

RatedChaotic
07-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Most likely after the Season Pass ends. I wont spend any money for maps or heros or anything thats bundled for sale afterwards.. I honestly dont seeing this game making it past that point without going f2p.

Now if a sequel is in thoughts. I'll be sure to rent it first before buying it this time.

Tyrjo
07-11-2017, 10:25 PM

What don't you like about free to play? FH already has micro transactions. If your friends ditched the game before season two, they must have bought the game, no?