PDA

View Full Version : Everyone please pick some planes and test radiator/cooling

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
I was doing tons of this with the last public beta, it is rather tedious, and even more tedious now that autolevel doesn't work for fighters.

I was curious to see how the new radiator drag modelling went, so far I have tested 190A4 and 190A5 at sea level (50m).

FW190A4- same as 1.11 except now you can open the radiator and run 110% throttle 100% prop pitch (faster than auto) and have the same speed as 102% throttle, either way you don't overheat. Basically now you can achieve the same continuous speed w/o overheating by a)running low throttle/radiator closed, or b)running high throttle/radiator open. Either way you end up with the same speed.

FW190A5- there seems to be a problem here, which is why i'm posting this thread and encouraging everyone to test some planes. What I found was that at 94% throttle + WEP + prop pitch 100% + radiator closed you go forever without overheating (50m Crimea map), 95% throttle you overheat. The problem is that with this plane opening the radiator does not cool the engine. With the radiator open you are still limited to 94% throttle, 95% overheats even with radiator open.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
I was doing tons of this with the last public beta, it is rather tedious, and even more tedious now that autolevel doesn't work for fighters.

I was curious to see how the new radiator drag modelling went, so far I have tested 190A4 and 190A5 at sea level (50m).

FW190A4- same as 1.11 except now you can open the radiator and run 110% throttle 100% prop pitch (faster than auto) and have the same speed as 102% throttle, either way you don't overheat. Basically now you can achieve the same continuous speed w/o overheating by a)running low throttle/radiator closed, or b)running high throttle/radiator open. Either way you end up with the same speed.

FW190A5- there seems to be a problem here, which is why i'm posting this thread and encouraging everyone to test some planes. What I found was that at 94% throttle + WEP + prop pitch 100% + radiator closed you go forever without overheating (50m Crimea map), 95% throttle you overheat. The problem is that with this plane opening the radiator does not cool the engine. With the radiator open you are still limited to 94% throttle, 95% overheats even with radiator open.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 09:18 PM
I can't wait anymore. Gotta download to join the fun..I wanna see La~5 overheat maybe. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Fillmore::
-- I was doing tons of this with the last public beta, it
-- is rather tedious, and even more tedious now that
-- autolevel doesn't work for fighters.

Trust me, this is a Good Thing for the FB test simmer. Anyway you can't use autolevel for climb testing or turn testing anyway. It may change the FM, we don't know whats in the code.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 10:38 PM
I'd join in, but I think it's a waste of time.

(a) Most of the people who play the game just aren't going to notice (aren't interested in) any bugs in the radiator drag modelling, auto prop pitch, manual prop pitch etc, etc unless they are REALLY, REALLY obvious. They are much more interested in some slight graphical anomaly on the B17G, as that's nice and easy to spot.

(b) I don't think Oleg is going to be very interested and it's probably to late anyway to get the bugs fixed, as I think the finished patch is coming out soon.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Visually, when in closed/auto mode the P-51's radiator shutter does not even begin to open until the engine is already suffering damage from overheating.

I have reported this, and it may just be a 3D model function error, but it bears further testing.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 11:03 PM
WooHooToYou wrote:
- (b) I don't think Oleg is going to be very
- interested and it's probably to late anyway to get
- the bugs fixed, as I think the finished patch is
- coming out soon.

Oh, I don't know..... I was surprised by how quickly he got back to me /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'm inclined to agree that it is getting late in the day for inclusions into the 1.2 final, but issues that do not get addressed then may get addressed for the January add-on. It won't hurt to keep the bug reports going in.....

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 11:24 PM
I'll tell you one thing, Oleg wasn't lying when he responded to my post and said that all planes radiator drag would be reduced. Before RC01/2 you would lose about 55-70km/h with radiator open, now it is down to about 20-30km/h which is much better IMO. Bravo Oleg.

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Yes, the drag is waaaay lower now.

And remember last time we got into this we found the inittial auto setting was bugged, and that got fixed.

So clearly Oleg responds to bug reports, and even takes a second look at the sim from just posts on related subjects.

Effort put into testing/bug reporting is not wasted.

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 12:15 AM
kyrule2 wrote:
- I'll tell you one thing, Oleg wasn't lying when he
- responded to my post and said that all planes
- radiator drag would be reduced. Before RC01/2 you
- would lose about 55-70km/h with radiator open, now
- it is down to about 20-30km/h which is much better
- IMO. Bravo Oleg.

Noticed similar things myself. Good work. For some planes I don't quite understand how the radiator drag speed drop numbers have been arrived at - planes like the A6M5 and P47 'look' like their radiators should act like a big dive brake, but don't seem to shed much speed. Given that my total research into the field is none at all, I'll give Maddox the benefit of the doubt :>

I wonder when we will see the parade of apologies from the people who posted some very bold statements about Olegs bias and desire to cripple the 109/190 through radiator bugs.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 12:26 AM
I think this is a good idea, I'll take the Bi-1.

OK the results are in, it works fine.

<center>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>
Got Nimrod? Try the unofficial <A HREF=http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4870c2bc08acb0f130e5e3396d08d595>OT forum</A>

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Saw some post mentioning the P51 radiator not working on auto.

So I tested it, radiator seems to function properly in terms of cooling the engine and such *except* auto position. Remember back in IL2 when "closed/auto" meant that the radiator was linked to the throttle so that open throttle=closed radiator and closed throttle/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif pen radiator? Well, that is the way the auto setting is currently working with the P51. I think it should be thermostatically controlled, shouldn't it?

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
haha, funny things happen to posts when smilies are enabled.

Anyway, nm about the FW190A5, been so long since I did those old tests I had forgotten about the behavior at very low altitudes, it seems to be related to the WEP. I found the same thing with the 190D9 at 50m, 94% ok 95% overheat no matter the raidator, but once you get up to 1000m opening the radiator allows continuous 109% rather than the 103% with rad closed, and some heat soak testing showed that opening the radiator was cooling the engine.

Maybe someone can check the LAs to see if their radiators work now (heck, those may have been fixed in 1.11, I never did test them after the last open beta was over to see if they got fixed).