PDA

View Full Version : So, I made the switch from PC to XBOX one -- my thoughts so far.

druez
07-08-2017, 07:13 PM
UPDATE 7/19/17

Well, I still love this game. Its been two weeks on console. Most of my review still stands. I get games alot faster then PC for Elimination and Skirmish. But, the stability is horrible. There are good days and bad days, but overall I can complete 7 out of 10 games on a good day, but over the last 5 days it has been horrible. I can't even complete orders, because I can't get the games finished. I stopped playing again and I really didn't want to. But, it is too frustrating. What a great game, really need to fix the net code.

Its funny, we have a joke at the office about you guys. UBISOFT, they make the best worst games ever. I mean The Division was awesome, but was terrible. For Honor was awesome, but was terrible. The ideas, the graphics all fantastic. The execution of the core systems, well done. The back lying support and stability, horrible. Sorry guys. I know I'm the problem. I get sucked in every-time and buy your games preorder. Then I get sad and happy as I play them.

The hackers were so bad on the The Division PC version, I went to console. You guys need to do better.

On the PC side, I hardly ever lose 4 v 4 connection.

I was a rank 20 on PC. I had the season pass and I really love the game. I have a 980TI and run the game in 1080p ultra. The game runs smooth and beautiful. Due to low player count on game modes other then duel, brawl and dominion, I decided to take the plunge to XBOX one.

PC Pros

Graphics are smooth and beautiful
Control scheme very responsive (I've used both k/m and controller) Both work well, but K/M is the main way I play
I have about a 95% success rate on all game modes in terms of not getting disconnections or drops for me e.g. I get booted from game with an error
Game is allot of fun
text communication e.g. type messages between people

PC Cons

Low player count and long queue times to find games in Texas NA for any mode other then Duel, Brawl or Dominion. Impossible to find skirmish game. This means you can't complete any elimination or skirmish orders.
Main disconnect issue is due to anticheat timeout (whatever that is). Usually happens when you join a game in progress
Turtle meta is real. So much less attacking and it becomes more of a war of attrition on who wants to attack first
GB and Anti GB is a game in itself

XBOX One Pros

Queue times for all game modes pretty quick e.g. minute or less (Texas / North America)
Control scheme less responsive, so turtle meta really isn't as much of thing. Less is actually more in this case, I didn't realize how much more fun it would be to play this way.
Matchmaking seems much more balanced (I'm guessing this is due to the larger player count)
Everyone on the same playing field due to everyone using controller
No hackers
I think I actually prefer the combat in this mode

XBOX One Cons

Queues are great, but I've played 14 Dominion games and I've only completed 4. The reliability of a dominion match is horrible. Once someone leaves and you get a resync, I seem to drop 8 out of 10 times. This is really frustrating. I never really understood all the complaining about reliability until I experienced this. This is terrible. I don't know why it is so much worse on XBOX One. This experience is actually why I'm on here typing this. I'm running in the same location at my house. My PC and XBOX one hooked up to the same router. Both have green NAT. I have a 1 GB connection to my house. This needs to be fixed.
Graphics are solid, good for XBOX title but simply can't match PC
Nobody on voice in game, this should really defaulted to on.
Occasional stuttering/graphic frame rate issues/slow downs in intense situations
I can't figure out how to remap my controller buttons, is there a way to do this? I don't see one. (huge con)

Well there you have it. I'm not an expert, but I'm a 44 year old gamer and I'm a Sr. IT Director and run an IT group of 220 people. Been playing games since the days of Atari and Commodore. I love this game and think For Honor 2 could just be so damn outstanding if you fixed the connection issues and added more to the meta/campaign game. While my background isn't in developing games, I've shipped multiple commercial real time data solutions (for the oilfield).

Key Features for future patches or For Honor 2

Fix the connection issues. I'm not going to say dedicated server or no dedicated server, I'm not a netcode expert. I'll leave that decision to your gurus. My only suggestion is if you stay peer to peer (I do understand the benefits of doing this); you do have to have a better method of using your dedicated servers to keep games in sessions if people leave. I can deal with pauses in the game, if we knew that remaining players would be able to reliably reconnect to each other. The "dropping" from game and losing all your stats and progress are the huge issue.
Bigger battles more people/larger maps - no point if you can't fix the connection issues
I'm pretty disappointed there is not a "True Faction Campaign". e.g. if I choose Vikings, I should only be able to score points for my side if I'm using a viking.
I would prefer an even more dedicated option of the above suggestion where you have true faction combat e.g. only Vikings, Knights or Samurai on one team. Only those games would count towards the Campaign. But, one of those two options needs to be included.
Some type of Clan campaign. Where you could have "Clan Wars". e.g. build a castle or map of your own. Capture territory, e.g. level up your castle etc... This would be a For Honor 2 situation. More control of your minions e.g. like Tiger Knight? Maybe even the ability to customize your minions and level them up as well.

I'm not proof reading this, sorry if there are typos and grammar mistakes. It has been years, since I've taken the time out to write a critique of a game. But, I think this game is so good it is worth it. You could be sitting on a gold mine, if you just invest the resources in it.

Take care and thanks for reading.

MetalDevil19
07-08-2017, 07:20 PM
I like the game as well. This game can be great, but I think it just needs more time. Especially if the people developing it may have dropped, so that might be why things take so long.

I think its cool you're a Sr. IT director, I'm currently in college trying to at least get a certificate in I.T. and Support, while working my *** off in 2 other jobs trying to keep up with rent, and if I like it enough, maybe turn it into an associates next, and maybe do some volunteer work for the experience.

druez
07-08-2017, 07:21 PM
How do you edit your post. I want to fix my formatting on my last list :). I can't find an edit button.

MetalDevil19
07-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Click on the "+" sign that's next to reply on the bottom right, and click "Edit post."

druez
07-08-2017, 07:27 PM
MetalDevil - college is great. But, one of the great things about IT/Computers is you really don't have to goto college. I'm not discouraging you from going to college, I'm just saying you don't have to wait for college to learn this on your own. Some of my best programmers and network engineers are self taught and they went and got their certifications on their own. My best developer has been coding for 30 years and never bothered with college. With that being said he is truly gifted. You can learn so much just by reading and trying things on your own.

CandleInTheDark
07-08-2017, 07:27 PM
The + box next to reply let's you edit. I believe they said a while ago they had it in the works to let you change bindings but you can't yet unless you have an elite controller which you modify outside the game itself. They said that xbox got the biggest boost from their connectivity patches but that goes to show how far down they were, for some reason the last Microsoft xbox software update made things worse, last I knew they were working with Microsoft on that. Connectivity really is the biggest thing, certainly on console, right now.

MetalDevil19
07-08-2017, 07:34 PM
MetalDevil - college is great. But, one of the great things about IT/Computers is you really don't have to goto college. I'm not discouraging you from going to college, I'm just saying you don't have to wait for college to learn this on your own. Some of my best programmers and network engineers are self taught and they went and got their certifications on their own. My best developer has been coding for 30 years and never bothered with college. With that being said he is truly gifted. You can learn so much just by reading and trying things on your own.

I think you're right, but doesn't it help if you want to get higher pay though? I thought during one of my lectures, one of the instructors said that if you go to school, by law, they have to pay higher.

Although ill admit, your post is an example of Bill Gates, (and Allen) who took a risk and dropped out of college then built their own software in two weeks and sold it, then became a billionaires in their time.

That_guy44
07-08-2017, 08:01 PM
One of your last cons for console is spot on. We can't even map controls. Even games on last generation allowed you change the controls. Some of the buttons aren't even being used! R3 for ps4 would make an excellent option as a dodge button. You wouldn't have to move your thumb back and forth from the analog stick.

bmason1000
07-08-2017, 09:04 PM
That sucks for xbox players, I'm sorry to hear that guys. Ps4 connection is pretty splendid these days. The last few months actually. Sometimes players leave or join and there's no resynch, no pause, i really can't remember my last actual full on dropped game. This must be why there's such discrepancy in the forums as pertains to disconnects? All the platforms are here together. Haha I'm kind of embarrassed that never occurred to me

druez
07-08-2017, 09:12 PM
They actually have full key mapping on the PC version. You can map whatever you want.

druez
07-08-2017, 09:16 PM
MetalDevil19 - no employers do not have to pay you more if you have a degree. That is completely untrue. e.g. your instructor is BSing you. For the record, I do not have a degree and I dropped out of high school my senior year and took my GED. I did get my MCSE back in 1996, but that was the only major cert I got. The rest I learned on my own.

WABO423
07-08-2017, 09:22 PM
That sucks for xbox players, I'm sorry to hear that guys. Ps4 connection is pretty splendid these days. The last few months actually. Sometimes players leave or join and there's no resynch, no pause, i really can't remember my last actual full on dropped game. This must be why there's such discrepancy in the forums as pertains to disconnects? All the platforms are here together. Haha I'm kind of embarrassed that never occurred to me
I can vouch for the connection issues on ps4 it has become very rare for a total disconnect last month or so, every now and then i may get a resync once every few games of dominion or other 4v4s

kweassa1
07-08-2017, 09:30 PM
I was a rank 20 on PC. I had the season pass and I really love the game. I have a 980TI and run the game in 1080p ultra. The game runs smooth and beautiful. Due to low player count on game modes other then duel, brawl and dominion, I decided to take the plunge to XBOX one.

PC Pros

Graphics are smooth and beautiful
Control scheme very responsive (I've used both k/m and controller) Both work well, but K/M is the main way I play
I have about a 95% success rate on all game modes in terms of not getting disconnections or drops for me e.g. I get booted from game with an error
Game is allot of fun
text communication e.g. type messages between people

PC Cons

Low player count and long queue times to find games in Texas NA for any mode other then Duel, Brawl or Dominion. Impossible to find skirmish game. This means you can't complete any elimination or skirmish orders.
Main disconnect issue is due to anticheat timeout (whatever that is). Usually happens when you join a game in progress
Turtle meta is real. So much less attacking and it becomes more of a war of attrition on who wants to attack first
GB and Anti GB is a game in itself

XBOX One Pros

Queue times for all game modes pretty quick e.g. minute or less (Texas / North America)
Control scheme less responsive, so turtle meta really isn't as much of thing. Less is actually more in this case, I didn't realize how much more fun it would be to play this way.
Matchmaking seems much more balanced (I'm guessing this is due to the larger player count)
Everyone on the same playing field due to everyone using controller
No hackers
I think I actually prefer the combat in this mode

XBOX One Cons

Queues are great, but I've played 14 Dominion games and I've only completed 4. The reliability of a dominion match is horrible. Once someone leaves and you get a resync, I seem to drop 8 out of 10 times. This is really frustrating. I never really understood all the complaining about reliability until I experienced this. This is terrible. I don't know why it is so much worse on XBOX One. This experience is actually why I'm on here typing this. I'm running in the same location at my house. My PC and XBOX one hooked up to the same router. Both have green NAT. I have a 1 GB connection to my house. This needs to be fixed.
Graphics are solid, good for XBOX title but simply can't match PC
Nobody on voice in game, this should really defaulted to on.
Occasional stuttering/graphic frame rate issues/slow downs in intense situations
I can't figure out how to remap my controller buttons, is there a way to do this? I don't see one. (huge con)

Well there you have it. I'm not an expert, but I'm a 44 year old gamer and I'm a Sr. IT Director and run an IT group of 220 people. Been playing games since the days of Atari and Commodore. I love this game and think For Honor 2 could just be so damn outstanding if you fixed the connection issues and added more to the meta/campaign game. While my background isn't in developing games, I've shipped multiple commercial real time data solutions (for the oilfield).

Key Features for future patches or For Honor 2

Fix the connection issues. I'm not going to say dedicated server or no dedicated server, I'm not a netcode expert. I'll leave that decision to your gurus. My only suggestion is if you stay peer to peer (I do understand the benefits of doing this); you do have to have a better method of using your dedicated servers to keep games in sessions if people leave. I can deal with pauses in the game, if we knew that remaining players would be able to reliably reconnect to each other. The "dropping" from game and losing all your stats and progress are the huge issue.
Bigger battles more people/larger maps - no point if you can't fix the connection issues
I'm pretty disappointed there is not a "True Faction Campaign". e.g. if I choose Vikings, I should only be able to score points for my side if I'm using a viking.
I would prefer an even more dedicated option of the above suggestion where you have true faction combat e.g. only Vikings, Knights or Samurai on one team. Only those games would count towards the Campaign. But, one of those two options needs to be included.
Some type of Clan campaign. Where you could have "Clan Wars". e.g. build a castle or map of your own. Capture territory, e.g. level up your castle etc... This would be a For Honor 2 situation. More control of your minions e.g. like Tiger Knight? Maybe even the ability to customize your minions and level them up as well.

I'm not proof reading this, sorry if there are typos and grammar mistakes. It has been years, since I've taken the time out to write a critique of a game. But, I think this game is so good it is worth it. You could be sitting on a gold mine, if you just invest the resources in it.

Take care and thanks for reading.

Thx for the interesting comparative post. Quite informative!

RatedChaotic
07-08-2017, 11:08 PM
They said they are working on adding remapping to console. Yet its still not here. The only way to remap is using an elite controller. I bought one just because of this game. It definitely improved my gameplay. If you get one make sure you get a warranty tho. The left stick magnet base likes to come unglued from the frame and it loses its precision somewhat.

But ya xbox connectivity in For Honor is the worst I've seen. I play vs AI with matchmaking off and with the fighting hud off. Just because I dont get my playtime interrupted at all. With the hud off it can be a challenge at times. Its definitely more fun than with it on.

If the connectivity was better I'd rock a no hud in pvp. But getting kicked alot really burns my biscuits. So I just play this way till the game gets better connectivity and hero balances.

UbiNoty
07-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately XB1 has historically proven to be a bit more difficult for us to address in terms of stability. It's definitely improved, but still not quite on par with PS4 and PC for connectivity - we've been working with microsoft to keep trying to find the reason why, but it seems with each XB1 update it always sets us back a bit.

In 1.09 I think we've added a few optimization improvements and reduced conflicts with some of microsoft's game functions in order to make it a bit better so that should hopefully help.

And we did announce plans for full controller remapping, so that should be coming as well.

CandleInTheDark
07-08-2017, 11:39 PM
They said they are working on adding remapping to console. Yet its still not here. The only way to remap is using an elite controller. I bought one just because of this game. It definitely improved my gameplay. If you get one make sure you get a warranty tho. The left stick magnet base likes to come unglued from the frame and it loses its precision somewhat.

Yeah you definitely want a warranty, I sent mine off to be replaced last week because the game believed I was constantly pushing my right analogue stick up which screwed with my camera angles, minor thing on For Honor, on other games it was gamebreaking like on Elite Dangerous it cost me insurance cost on a new ship after I crashed leaving the dock >.> my driving is bad enough when my ship doesn't start rising on its own lol.

Unfortunately XB1 has historically proven to be a bit more difficult for us to address in terms of stability. It's definitely improved, but still not quite on par with PS4 and PC for connectivity - we've been working with microsoft to keep trying to find the reason why, but it seems with each XB1 update it always sets us back a bit.

In 1.09 I think we've added a few optimization improvements and reduced conflicts with some of microsoft's game functions in order to make it a bit better so that should hopefully help.

And we did announce plans for full controller remapping, so that should be coming as well.

Connectivity has gotten better since it started, but yeah there is still a lot of room for it to improve, hopefully the people working with Microsoft make some decent progress.

WABO423
07-08-2017, 11:55 PM
Yes you can without the elite controller here's a link on how to do it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/254132/how-to-remap-your-xbox-one-controllers-buttons/amp/

WABO423
07-08-2017, 11:59 PM
You can do the same thing on ps4 by going from the home menu then top menu->settings->accessibility->button assignments

bmason1000
07-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Yes you can without the elite controller here's a link on how to do it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/254132/how-to-remap-your-xbox-one-controllers-buttons/amp/

Isnt that going to remap it for ALL games, though?

Gray360UK
07-09-2017, 12:11 AM

Yes it says so in the instructions (just came from having a look). Not only for games, for your home screen too. It completely redefines the buttons, not just for a game, or for all games, but for everything.

WABO423
07-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Yes but you can always swap it back whenever you want easily, and no need so shell out money for a special controller that apparently has quality control issues (going by reviews)

CandleInTheDark
07-09-2017, 12:23 AM
Yes it says so in the instructions (just came from having a look). Not only for games, for your home screen too. It completely redefines the buttons, not just for a game, or for all games, but for everything.

I tried this and I temporarily forgot where I put the A button and was all nope, I'm waiting for my controller to come back in the post or the remapping in game to come, whichever happens first lol.

Gray360UK
07-09-2017, 12:26 AM
I tried this and I temporarily forgot where I put the A button and was all nope, I'm waiting for my controller to come back in the post or the remapping in game to come, whichever happens first lol.

I know I would be exactly the same, I don't even want to mess with my controller button definitions, I'd be lucky if I could figure out how to launch For Honor the next day ;)

WABO423
07-09-2017, 01:33 AM
I tried this and I temporarily forgot where I put the A button and was all nope, I'm waiting for my controller to come back in the post or the remapping in game to come, whichever happens first lol. ps4 is a bit easier because you can pin the enable custom input option to the quick menu and turn it on and off easily

Gray360UK
07-09-2017, 01:53 AM
I think you forgot to add "Restart game to quit matches without penalty." to pros

That's doable on both platforms.

druez
07-09-2017, 04:27 AM
I find it strange that they are having so many problems with XBOX Live getting the multiplayer going. In general XBOX Live is a better online experience then PS4. I have both systems and a PC. One reason, I usually go XBOX over PS4 is the controller layout for XBOX and XBOX live is usually better then the PS+.

Rikuto01.tv
07-09-2017, 06:00 AM
The stability took a nose dive in a recent update, I'd just like to add. Both console versions generally run better than they do in this current build.

MetalDevil19
07-09-2017, 06:58 PM
MetalDevil19 - no employers do not have to pay you more if you have a degree. That is completely untrue. e.g. your instructor is BSing you. For the record, I do not have a degree and I dropped out of high school my senior year and took my GED. I did get my MCSE back in 1996, but that was the only major cert I got. The rest I learned on my own.

Perhaps thats true, but one of my class mates did say that they have worked for the industry for 13 years, her employer said that she needed to get a certificate or degree in order to get higher pay from them.

druez
07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
That is correct some employers require certs for higher positions or pay. But, that is on the employer not by law. Some employers do not require it.

druez
07-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Updated my initial post with the following.

UPDATE 7/19/17

Well, I still love this game. Its been two weeks on console. Most of my review still stands. I get games alot faster then PC for Elimination and Skirmish. But, the stability is horrible. There are good days and bad days, but overall I can complete 7 out of 10 games on a good day, but over the last 5 days it has been horrible. I can't even complete orders, because I can't get the games finished. I stopped playing again and I really didn't want to. But, it is too frustrating. What a great game, really need to fix the net code.

Its funny, we have a joke at the office about you guys. UBISOFT, they make the best worst games ever. I mean The Division was awesome, but was terrible. For Honor was awesome, but was terrible. The ideas, the graphics all fantastic. The execution of the core systems, well done. The back lying support and stability, horrible. Sorry guys. I know I'm the problem. I get sucked in every-time and buy your games preorder. Then I get sad and happy as I play them.

The hackers were so bad on the The Division PC version, I went to console. You guys need to do better.