PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Battle of Britain (life on an airbase)

tomwilliams007
04-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Firstly may i say that oleg has done a wonderful job with Il2 and i find whiners annoying. Secondly in battle of britain what i would like to see is simulation of life on the airbase. I would not want this to detract from the flying. Wings of Glory used to have this, it used FMV's for breifings and to show what life was like on an airbase. I would also love to see characters in the squadron in campaign mode, because i you and good enough diaglouge or character to go along with them you find yourself trying to protect your mates more often. You could even have different voices for the diffent pilots over the radio when flying. What would be even cooler give people a sense of preservation would be to have them actuallly die or some points knocked off them when they get shot down. Also Wings of Glory used to show you one of the letters which were sent home when a pilot was KIA and would have the CO reading out, all these could combine to give a sort of 1940's British feel. This would be good if you wanted to show people history of what life was like behind the scenes as well as up in the air. AYou could even go as far as having FMV's for pilots leave when they went to lodon and places like that. It would give a much better feel of wartime Britain and personally i think that is important. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

tomwilliams007
04-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Firstly may i say that oleg has done a wonderful job with Il2 and i find whiners annoying. Secondly in battle of britain what i would like to see is simulation of life on the airbase. I would not want this to detract from the flying. Wings of Glory used to have this, it used FMV's for breifings and to show what life was like on an airbase. I would also love to see characters in the squadron in campaign mode, because i you and good enough diaglouge or character to go along with them you find yourself trying to protect your mates more often. You could even have different voices for the diffent pilots over the radio when flying. What would be even cooler give people a sense of preservation would be to have them actuallly die or some points knocked off them when they get shot down. Also Wings of Glory used to show you one of the letters which were sent home when a pilot was KIA and would have the CO reading out, all these could combine to give a sort of 1940's British feel. This would be good if you wanted to show people history of what life was like behind the scenes as well as up in the air. AYou could even go as far as having FMV's for pilots leave when they went to lodon and places like that. It would give a much better feel of wartime Britain and personally i think that is important. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

eeonel
04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
An interesting post.

--Also Wings of Glory used to show you one of the letters which were sent home when a pilot was KIA and would have the CO reading out

I too have played games that do this. Its interesting the first time it happens, but every future time you just bypass the animation. Developers should rather focus on areas of gameplay that will be used more than once.

Also be aware that some other games have got the pre/post flight atmosphere wrong.

Eurofighter typhoon springs to mind where you spent many hours with your colleagues waiting for missions. And every hour you cared less for them & less for the game !

tomwilliams007
04-22-2004, 12:50 PM
I see your point, but sometimes you get the other extreme, i sometimes find that i feel rather lonely in il2 because it just seems devoid of life or history what it needed more is more radio chatter and general bantering. I would like to see some history incorperated to give it a feeling of wartime britain, sort of like little history flicks of how the war was progressing and what was happening on the home front so you actually feel a part of the war. Also sometimes i feel that random generated missions are often devoid of any feeling for dynamic campaigns what they need to try nd do is implement more cammeradre into the game so you get annoyed and feel bad when you hear your mate screaming for help down the radio as hes shot down in flames.

tttiger
04-22-2004, 01:47 PM
A very good point and one that was made often in the early days of IL-2 (I guess everyone realized no one was listening and gave up).

IL-2/FB/AEP is a very mechanical sim with no sense of continuity or ambiance. Even the missions have no particular purpose in a larger scheme of things (at least nothing you can glean from the briefings). There is no sense of supporting ground battles, etc.

Off line, at least, I think this is largely due to the use of computer-generated campaign missions. Both the BOE missions and the DCG missions are limited to: take off-fly to a point-have a fight-if you live, fly home. There have been attempts to humanize it a bit by adding squadron members with pictures and birthplaces but I feel no real connection to them as characters in a story. The campaigns still lack atmosphere and continuity.

I guess that's why I favor on line Coops. They sure aren't perfect but the best of them have briefings that give you a sense of time, place and history. Fly a Hangar mission and you receive a whole history lesson behind the mission. But even that doesn't quite do it. We don't know what ground unit we are supporting, what they are attacking or the point of our mission.

I'm not sure it can be resolved by films of the CO writing a letter home (I toss out all the films we do have).

But when I look at campaigns, the best ever IMHO were those in Falcon 4.0. You flew as part of a "package" that would include SEAD, strike and even recon aircraft for damage assessment. No, you couldn't win the war all by yourself but every pilot's role as part of the "package" was vital and the whole mission could be won or lost depending on how well you performed.

A Falcon 4.0 campaign was an ongoing story in which you were a player. IL-2 is sadly lacking in that aspect. It doesn't "tell a story." Frankly, I don't think either Starshoy or Lohengrin "get it" when it comes to telling a story. And not Oleg, either. If they read this, they probably won't even know what the hell I'm talking about http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The campaigns are designed by computer programmers (geeks) not writers. The models are great, the terrain is beautiful and the battles are fun. But in the campaigns at least, it is a "sterile sim." The campaigns really lack a sense of time and place and humanity.

Thanks for bringing it up again, although I doubt it will do any good.

Aloha,

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

[This message was edited by tttiger on Thu April 22 2004 at 12:55 PM.]

[This message was edited by tttiger on Thu April 22 2004 at 12:57 PM.]