PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think Ashraf's Comments Mean For The Present Day?

Abelzorus-Prime
07-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Does it leave you hopeful, fearful or neutral? (https://youtu.be/5HgkJKq1FK0?t=2063)

joshoolhorst
07-05-2017, 07:22 PM
I hope it is a good surprise if they keep it like that, if not I don't understand why they made the movie 65% and the last few books Modern Day focused.
I stay neutral on this but this is the last time perhaps that I would look forward to MD if it becomes the same thing like the last 5 years.

cawatrooper9
07-05-2017, 07:28 PM
It's a tough call.

One the one hand, MD has always been about suspense and crazy twists, so I'm not too surprised the team wants to keep a close lid on things.

On the other, fans have been extremely disappointed by MD in the past few years, so it might be a good idea to be a little more open- at least with things as simple as game mechanics, if we're getting 3rd person again, etc- to win fans back.

I'm optimistic, but I can't fault someone for finding this secrecy on the MD to be suspicious.

flambeau2
07-05-2017, 08:05 PM
I'm not trolling but I could never understand why people want MD out of the game, it's completely optional but for some very small parts. Don't like it, don't play it, there's a whole AC game waiting for you outside MD. Why do some people want it to be completely ripped off is beyond my understanding, it's not like MD fans are asking for the game to be MD exclusive.

I loved every MD section in all AC games, the lore, the puzzles, everything, but yeah, I get that some people don't like it and that's why I'm wishing for optional solid MD gameplay in Origins, but I'm fearful. Sadly, I think MD will be nothing but some fancy cutscenes or a 5 minutes silly gameplay. Hope I'm wrong

joshoolhorst
07-05-2017, 09:23 PM
I'm not trolling but I could never understand why people want MD out of the game, it's completely optional but for some very small parts. Don't like it, don't play it, there's a whole AC game waiting for you outside MD. Why do some people want it to be completely ripped off is beyond my understanding, it's not like MD fans are asking for the game to be MD exclusive.

I loved every MD section in all AC games, the lore, the puzzles, everything, but yeah, I get that some people don't like it and that's why I'm wishing for optional solid MD gameplay in Origins, but I'm fearful. Sadly, I think MD will be nothing but some fancy cutscenes or a 5 minutes silly gameplay. Hope I'm wrong

You know what I don't understand. Why do the people who hate MD handle it like it takes over 50% of the game it is only like 90 minutes but they threat it like it goes on for 8 hours or so

dxsxhxcx
07-05-2017, 09:52 PM
I believe they'll use the same formula they've used in AC4 but without dragging the story and actually going somewhere tangible this time, maybe they'll add some interesting puzzles, places to climb and even some sort of action (but in 1st person), what IMO is not good enough.

You know what I don't understand. Why do the people who hate MD handle it like it takes over 50% of the game it is only like 90 minutes but they threat it like it goes on for 8 hours or so

you're still forced to go through a few scenes at the beginning/middle/end of the game and even though sometimes you can go back to the animus right after being ejected out of it, the game still interrupts you to do that and that's what they hate about it. All they need and want is the already established lore that says we are inside the animus interacting with someone else's memories to justify the HUD and other elements that would otherwise break their fantasy of playing as a pirate/italian assassin/etc.

Don't get me wrong, that's a valid concern and I get where they are coming from but IMHO anyone who only sees the historical portion of the game (and usually separates one from the other, treating them as two different entities) is looking at it from the wrong angle and that's the source of the problem because there's no way to please these people without compromising the MD experience.

PlunderBunker
07-05-2017, 10:25 PM
I've got a very good feeling about it. Something tells me they've completely changed everything about modern day and made it much better, meaning, it just won't be the standard walk and talk conversations with abit of puzzles and parkour. You don't have to look any further than the new combat system to know that. If they can do the same for modern day that they've done for the past setting, they've nailed it and that's why I think they're keeping it hush hush. They want to suprise us with it. So yes, I do believe we're getting a 3rd person protag (maybe even multiple protagonists) They're going all out on this game. Things are changing in the modern day, storywise.

Also, I believe the newcomers and naysayers will actually change their mind about modern day and say "you know what? This is epic!" That's what I want them to say

cawatrooper9
07-05-2017, 10:28 PM
I believe they'll use the same formula they've used in AC4 but without dragging the story and actually going somewhere tangible this time, maybe they'll add some interesting puzzles, places to climb and even some sort of action (but in 1st person), what IMO is not good enough.

I think a formula like that could be excellent with a third person avatar. Go explore an area and even perhaps go on optional ACIII-style MD missions over the course of the game, but not be overly intrusive for those who want to play exclusively the historical parts.

dxsxhxcx
07-05-2017, 11:09 PM
I think a formula like that could be excellent with a third person avatar. Go explore an area and even perhaps go on optional ACIII-style MD missions over the course of the game, but not be overly intrusive for those who want to play exclusively the historical parts.

IMO the only way to do that is by allowing those who don't want to have their historical experience disrupted by the MD sequences to choose if they want to play them or not at the beginning of the game, when the time comes to leave the animus, a loading screen would appear and they would be back in the past, at least the only way (I can think of) that wouldn't affect the MD experience for those who like it in any way, they would still have to deal with voice-overs while inside the animus but maybe the devs could mute them as well if the players choose not to be bothered by the MD.

I agree that the return of a third person avatar is a must (to IMO put the Modern Days back on track), preferably one capable of speaking his/her mind like Desmond and not a soulless mute avatar.

Sigma 1313
07-06-2017, 12:19 AM
I think we loved Syndicate's modern day and heard a lot about it at the end of the summer before it's release.

ajl992015
07-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Thing is, the modern day story for me just isn't interesting because we don't have a character. Now imagine AC4, and ACS with a modern day protagonist. same gameplay for ac4 but in 3rd person and maybe in acS it could have been like AC1 with the small area and secrets with cutscenes for what shaun, rebecca and galina were doing. SAME story but through the eyes of a protagonist who we connect with and can invest in. Literally most issues would be fixed. AC4 and ACS had great modern days in terms of the overall story but were so limted due to no character, we couldn't invest into anybody. I don't even mind the AC4 or ACS modern day but I want a character to follow. Even ACS's cutscenes, even if that was from the point of view of a character travelling with the crew rather than an initiate. It would still be miles better. Ubisoft just give a character to follow. I promise this will fix many issues and won't hinder anything for those who don't like modern day. Those who dislike it still need to sit through the initiate stuff anyway so might as well make it interesting!

cawatrooper9
07-06-2017, 02:08 PM
IMO the only way to do that is by allowing those who don't want to have their historical experience disrupted by the MD sequences to choose if they want to play them or not at the beginning of the game, when the time comes to leave the animus, a loading screen would appear and they would be back in the past, at least the only way (I can think of) that wouldn't affect the MD experience for those who like it in any way, they would still have to deal with voice-overs while inside the animus but maybe the devs could mute them as well if the players choose not to be bothered by the MD.

I agree that the return of a third person avatar is a must (to IMO put the Modern Days back on track), preferably one capable of speaking his/her mind like Desmond and not a soulless mute avatar.

That's definitely one option. Or, a perhaps slightly more intrusive one would be for Rebecca (or someone) to say at some point in the story "Hey, I know you're busy, but mind stepping out of the Animus for a bit? We could use some help with something."

As long as it's not repeated nearly as obnoxiously as Jacob's "Oh, a letter. For me?" :p

IsAZebraACat
07-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Basically, there are 3 options:

1) They improved MD/increased the amount of MD content - which will anger the half of AC players who hate MD
2) They didn't improve MD/decreased amount of MD content - which will upset the half of AC players who love MD
3) They kept the amount of MD content about the same as other games - which will annoy players who want more AND players who want less of it

So from a business perspective, they have no choice but to keep quiet and hope nobody finds out until after they have already bought the game.

pacmanate
07-06-2017, 07:13 PM
MD has never been talked about before and to be has either been good or bad for it (good being pre AC4).

Although, Ashraf has said he acknowledged people didn't like floating tablets in AC4 and Rogue, and also "heard" fan feedback on how it was handled in Syndicate and Unity.

I think this definitely confirms a new Modern Day Protagonist, dunno what else you can have other than that.

Abelzorus-Prime
07-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Present Day is part of the DNA of AC, they shouldn't cater to the fans that just want it completely removed, and if they can handle 5 games with present day are still on board I doubt they ever went overboard.

Though they should listen to the fans who have criticisms of present day, stuff like them not being exciting enough or too slow paced. I disagree but it gives the Devs tsomething to build upon.

UnknownGamer1994
07-07-2017, 01:02 AM
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/68736-e3-2017-assassin-s-creed-origins-notre-entretien-avec-l-hist
This interview according to some Reddit user and the website itself confirms that the modern day will be playable, the thing is that it's in French.
Can someone translate what Maxime said from the video interview to English? word by word?
The article itself makes a vague reference about the modern day being playable through the Google Translate, therefore it will be much helpful to read the exact translation of words coming from the interviewed historian of Assassin's Creed Origins.

Megas_Doux
07-07-2017, 01:25 AM
I'm expecting pretty much nothing so if I get something is a win......

cawatrooper9
07-07-2017, 02:39 PM
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/68736-e3-2017-assassin-s-creed-origins-notre-entretien-avec-l-hist
This interview according to some Reddit user and the website itself confirms that the modern day will be playable, the thing is that it's in French.

Definitely thought you meant all MD would be in French, at first.
:p

Maybe that is the direction they should go.

Moultonborough
07-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Basically, there are 3 options:

1) They improved MD/increased the amount of MD content - which will anger the half of AC players who hate MD
2) They didn't improve MD/decreased amount of MD content - which will upset the half of AC players who love MD
3) They kept the amount of MD content about the same as other games - which will annoy players who want more AND players who want less of it

So from a business perspective, they have no choice but to keep quiet and hope nobody finds out until after they have already bought the game.

I can agree to the this for the most part. No matter what they do there will always be a group of people who are going to be upset with the result. No matter how hard they try to find a middle ground to please everyone its just not possible. For my part I have always loved MD. I find it interesting to see how the war has adapted throughout the centuries and how it affects the events of today. But I can understand some people don't enjoy that part of it.

They said they read the forums which is great and by what he said they are changing the slide due to feedback (forums and in person I'm sure is great. And he said the something about MD. But to say that half the fans will be upset is hard to say. While there is a good amount of us the the forums we are far from being half the fans. I would say we the the very vocal minority. How many players like or don't like MD is impossible to say. But overall you are correct.

gordon677
07-13-2017, 03:36 AM
I think it will be in the game, but it feels like it takes a back seat to the historical setting. I can see how it would be hard to make most people happy with MD and it does feel like a deep dividing point for a lot of people.
1. Bayek goes to MD from events that started in 49BCE and returns to his own time when he's done (maybe a few years later, but he's still the same age that could set up for the next game if there is a trilogy involving Bayek without him getting too old.), that might be interesting for me.
2. Turn MD into a DLC making it bigger and deeper than ever before. That would making the people that love it very happy and the people that don't can just skip it.
3. Keep it short and sweet, but make it optional. That would keep most people happy but less time would be spent on MD, so those that want more and a deeper story might not like it. (I hear that the same story has been dragging on for several games, not making much progress)

Sorry if I seem harsh on MD. Being new to AC and Origins (only learned about it about 4 days ago) I can already see that MD had been a problem with out even seeing videos or playing it. MD is going to be hit or miss for new players like my self. I understand that the game is about MD going into the past looking for artifacts, but it's advertised in a very bad way. To me it's a historical game with a MD component and have them both in the same game can create big problems if MD takes up too much of the main game. If they want MD to be a big part of the game they have to advertise it as such. They didn't talk about it at all at E3 also Ashraf said the game is mainly about Beyak leads me to believe it's not a big part of the game. (unless Bayek is the one we play in MD.) So it does look like to me it will take a back seat again.

I will be buying the gold edition on Friday. Thanks to all the Devs for making a beautiful game. I loved the quest line in the demo with Shadya and Khenut. It was a very moving ending and I hope for many more heart felt stories. Also I back the let's pet cats movement.

PlunderBunker
07-13-2017, 09:35 AM
I think it will be in the game, but it feels like it takes a back seat to the historical setting. I can see how it would be hard to make most people happy with MD and it does feel like a deep dividing point for a lot of people.
1. Bayek goes to MD from events that started in 49BCE and returns to his own time when he's done (maybe a few years later, but he's still the same age that could set up for the next game if there is a trilogy involving Bayek without him getting too old.), that might be interesting for me.
2. Turn MD into a DLC making it bigger and deeper than ever before. That would making the people that love it very happy and the people that don't can just skip it.
3. Keep it short and sweet, but make it optional. That would keep most people happy but less time would be spent on MD, so those that want more and a deeper story might not like it. (I hear that the same story has been dragging on for several games, not making much progress)

Sorry if I seem harsh on MD. Being new to AC and Origins (only learned about it about 4 days ago) I can already see that MD had been a problem with out even seeing videos or playing it. MD is going to be hit or miss for new players like my self. I understand that the game is about MD going into the past looking for artifacts, but it's advertised in a very bad way. To me it's a historical game with a MD component and have them both in the same game can create big problems if MD takes up too much of the main game. If they want MD to be a big part of the game they have to advertise it as such. They didn't talk about it at all at E3 also Ashraf said the game is mainly about Beyak leads me to believe it's not a big part of the game. (unless Bayek is the one we play in MD.) So it does look like to me it will take a back seat again.

I will be buying the gold edition on Friday. Thanks to all the Devs for making a beautiful game. I loved the quest line in the demo with Shadya and Khenut. It was a very moving ending and I hope for many more heart felt stories. Also I back the let's pet cats movement.

I'm sorry but you can't go from "a fan from a few days ago" to a "MD disliker" just because you don't like something that MANY people like. Saying you want it out is rude, especially after a couple of days. Read the lore dude. It would be like taking out the force in star wars or having batman without gotham city etc. Again, AC newbies get to me. Point 1 doesn't make any sence, the series is pretty much grounded in reality. MD still has that problem, but they're fixing it. Working on it. And it'll work better in Origins. I'm so done "sigh"

cawatrooper9
07-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Sorry if I seem harsh on MD. Being new to AC and Origins (only learned about it about 4 days ago) I can already see that MD had been a problem with out even seeing videos or playing it. MD is going to be hit or miss for new players like my self. I understand that the game is about MD going into the past looking for artifacts, but it's advertised in a very bad way.

Just curious- you recently learned about AC 4 days ago, or Origins? If its AC as a whole, have you played any games? Which ones?

I ask because the concept of MD can be really off-putting to someone who goes in expecting a historical game. I remember when I first got AC1, and looking at the player manual on my way home (Player manual? Man this series really is getting old!)

Basically, it outlined a lot of the stuff with the Animus and the MD plot. Having expected a game set in the crusades, I was horribly confused. I hadn't gotten the impression at all that the game would contain modern elements, and the whole thing seemed pretty meta to me.

And to be honest, I hated the MD stuff on my first play of the first game- right up until the end, when it all made sense to me. Then, I began reading stuff online about how the next game would have Desmond going into the Animus but probably visiting another time period, and I was totally sold- all of a sudden, the most off-putting part of the game because the most intriguing.

SixKeys
07-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Just curious- you recently learned about AC 4 days ago, or Origins? If its AC as a whole, have you played any games? Which ones?

I ask because the concept of MD can be really off-putting to someone who goes in expecting a historical game. I remember when I first got AC1, and looking at the player manual on my way home (Player manual? Man this series really is getting old!)

Basically, it outlined a lot of the stuff with the Animus and the MD plot. Having expected a game set in the crusades, I was horribly confused. I hadn't gotten the impression at all that the game would contain modern elements, and the whole thing seemed pretty meta to me.

And to be honest, I hated the MD stuff on my first play of the first game- right up until the end, when it all made sense to me. Then, I began reading stuff online about how the next game would have Desmond going into the Animus but probably visiting another time period, and I was totally sold- all of a sudden, the most off-putting part of the game because the most intriguing.

Whereas I knew nothing about the plot aside from having seen the cinematic trailer, so I didn't know what to expect. When the game started and I saw some guy plugged into some weird futuristic machine that made him have some kind of hallucinations about being in the Crusades, I was instantly hooked. Expectations (or lack thereof) definitely play a big part in one's enjoyment of the series.

Rugterwyper32
07-13-2017, 09:22 PM
I also entered with no real expectations other than a friend's suggestion and the cover of the game. Took a chance with it, and my thoughts on Modern Day has only changed big time once since. It was really cool of them to explain why the game part is there, framing devices like that are really cool. And I liked the mystery going on in 1, I did like that it was something different focused on trying to figure out "ok what the hell's going on". And then 2 started heading towards the "chosen one" path and went full Giorgio Tsoukalos by introducing the Isu (instead of keeping "Those Who Came Before" as a very vague term), plus the entire introducing another plot while barely making any progress in what was originally meant to be a trilogy. Any interest 1 built up for me nearly died with 2, and since then we've had all that mess with transmedia and whatnot. And by this point, you know my take on it.
So yeah, I might be on a minority here, but AC2 started my utter lack of care for Modern Day, when it comes down to it. I still like the framing device side of it, but that's about it, honestly.

dxsxhxcx
07-13-2017, 11:48 PM
they screwed up when they decided to milk the franchise at the expense of the (MD) story, simple as that. After AC2 the MD became an afterthought and this won't change before they deal with Juno and start anew, (IMO) what this franchise needs is a soft reboot, only then they will be able to do something good with the MD.

Abelzorus-Prime
07-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Assassin's Creed Origins already is a soft reboot in terms of it's historical element but perhaps it will be translated to the Present Day aswell.