PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter and Invitation to the Developers and PR Team

Sorrosyss
07-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Hello good people of Ubisoft, and specifically to the Origins team.

This thread is in response to the recent Game Informer Podcast (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2017/06/30/answering-assassins-creed-origins-lingering-questions.aspx), done by the lovely Ashraf Ismail. Within the podcast it is stated that the marketing team is unsure if you will talk about the Modern Day prior to release.

This is a situation that long term fans have faced before. Prior to Syndicate we were given similar statements about the Modern Day, that it was fundamental and that fans would love it. Unfortunately as the main feedback for Syndicate proved, alot of long term fans have really not been keen on the direction of the Modern Day post AC3 - to which many lament that it died with Desmond. There is a concern amongst these very fans that we are heading once more for a passive experience.

From the comments made in various interviews, it does come across that you have something different planned this time. Whilst I can appreciate that you do not want to spill any story details, and frankly I would not want you to either, a simple confirmation that the Modern Day has a playable third person protagonist in whatever capacity would be a HUGE event in the franchise for many fans. There are many out there who have taken a break from the franchise purely because of what happened with Desmond, and to have a new plotline for them to be invested in once more would certainly lead to a number of new pre-orders for you in my humble view.

Most of the fans that post to these very forums love the franchise, and in turn are appreciative of the efforts that your development team and supporting staff put into the games and the expanded universe. Whilst our passion may lead us to pass criticism on occasion, it is always out of a position of love that we want the franchise to do well. There was a time when developers posted here, and it is something you still see for other Ubisoft titles, but not for Assassin's Creed anymore. I appreciate the fanbase is spread out across the Council, Reddit, Facebook and Twitter these days - and whilst it is lovely to interact with you on the other platforms - it would be even more welcome to see you posting once more to these forums. (Especially as we know you lurk and read what we all say.)

In conclusion then, you are most welcome to return here to your fanbase if only to say hello now and again. But I do think a simple confirmation on the form of Origins' Modern Day - if nothing to do with its content - would go a very long way within the fanbase right now. Its literally all that most of my AC friends want to talk about.

Thank you for your time, and keep on doing what you do. :)

SHADOWGARVIN
07-02-2017, 04:56 PM
I think that he does confirm in that interview that there is going to be some form of modern day. Maybe they will talk about it at Gamescom in October?
I've always liked the modern day in the earlier AC games, but there are also a lot of people that dislike the modern day. He's obviously not allowed to talk about the modern day yet. Maybe in the coming months, or maybe they want it to be a surprise for long time fans?

RA503
07-02-2017, 05:18 PM
I think that they adamant to reveal the modern day this time because the theory that is DLC maybe is true .

danijel.1983
07-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I think that they adamant to reveal the modern day this time because the theory that is DLC maybe is true .

Oh God I hope not. I wanted to preorder the golden edition but if that's true then I'd rather not. I absolutely hate modern day. :)

strigoi1958
07-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Oh God I hope not. I wanted to preorder the golden edition but if that's true then I'd rather not. I absolutely hate modern day. :)

I'm definitely not a MD fan. But I believe that the MD is an inherent part of AC. AC is not AC without MD. So I'd oppose any decision to remove it from the games. I understand that you feel you'd be buying a season pass that contains something you do no want but, I think the MD part in the DLC might not be excessive, but maybe more than Syndicate. Perhaps you should consider just buying the game until the DLC is announced.

notfunnybro
07-02-2017, 07:18 PM

What is it that you hate about the modern day part?

SHADOWGARVIN
07-02-2017, 07:24 PM

I hope it isn't. The modern day deserves to be a part of the main story. It has always been that way in the earlier AC games and if they decide to bring it back then it should be that way again. I don't want it to be an add on as DLC.

danijel.1983
07-02-2017, 07:31 PM
What is it that you hate about the modern day part?

Okay, okay, my words were a bit harsh. I don't "absolutely hate it" but let's say I don't care much for modern day especially after AC3. But if indeed turns out that The DLC is MD then I would rather choose not to preorder golden edition. Or I could buy the season pass later when it's hugely discounted (like AC3 and Black Flag recently). But of course at this point we don't know.

notfunnybro
07-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Okay, okay, my words were a bit harsh. I don't "absolutely hate it" but let's say I don't care much for modern day especially after AC3. But if indeed turns out that The DLC is MD then I would rather choose not to preorder golden edition. Or I could buy the season pass later when it's hugely discounted (like AC3 and Black Flag recently). But of course at this point we don't know.

Did you like modern day before AC3? If not, what did you dislike about it? What do you think would make a modern part of AC fun?

dxsxhxcx
07-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Just release a 5 minute gameplay video from the beginning of the game showing the MD (or an edited video to avoid spoiling important elements of the MD' story) and people will be more than happy knowing if their expectations will be fulfilled or not, all this secrecy about the Modern Days only serves to alienate long term fans who also enjoy this particular part of the game and before each release expect that this will be the time the developers will do right by it and give it the attention it deserves.

danijel.1983
07-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Did you like modern day before AC3? If not, what did you dislike about it? What do you think would make a modern part of AC fun?

For example in AC1 it was just endless conversations between Desmon, Lucy and Vidic. It's crucial to the story of course can't argue with that. But it just goes on and on and all you wanna do is play the game.
And then everything between AC2 and AC3 was actually pretty good. You actually get to do something, discover vaults, kill Lucy, Vidic... Minerva appears, Juno appears... something is actually happening. And after AC3 it just stops you know. That's how I see it. And I just stopped caring for the Modern Day. But that's just my opinion it doesn't make me a bad fan or something (I hope).

rob1990312
07-02-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm actually sick of this smoke and mirrors PR act when it comes to the modern day when it's building up to a new release, I always think that the reason they don't talk about it is because they would rather pretend it didn't exist, if they were truly proud of the Md in the games it would be mentioned more in the build up, after the last two games md they should be ashamed as they seemed like pale after thoughts shoved in just to keep some people happy. I think if they are going to do it, do it well or not at all, I think the reason it's been bad lately isn't because of lack of talent but lack of interest or commitment. That being said I enjoyed ac4s md and if the same team can match that with origins I'd be content. Really wish they'd stop the cheap talk and be real, it would be a breathe of fresh air if a dev just said oh it's not the main interest of the game and isn't really connected to our story, and just cut the hype there and then other than being like oh it's super secret you will have to wait and see. End of rant. By the way I loved the md and I am positive about the md in origins

marvelfannumber
07-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Guys seriously, the game comes out in October. We'll know what the modern day is like when the game is out, as has been the case since the first game. Honestly this comes off as kind of desperate, just expect the modern day to be garbage, have some patience and if you're lucky you're going to be pleasantly suprised or in the worst case scenario you'll just have a smug sense of self satisfaction.

notfunnybro
07-02-2017, 09:43 PM
For example in AC1 it was just endless conversations between Desmon, Lucy and Vidic. It's crucial to the story of course can't argue with that. But it just goes on and on and all you wanna do is play the game.
And then everything between AC2 and AC3 was actually pretty good. You actually get to do something, discover vaults, kill Lucy, Vidic... Minerva appears, Juno appears... something is actually happening. And after AC3 it just stops you know. That's how I see it. And I just stopped caring for the Modern Day. But that's just my opinion it doesn't make me a bad fan or something (I hope).

Yeah I totally get it. I don't think it makes you a bad fan, it's kinda hard to care for something that's barely there or doesn't really have anything going on. I was really hoping to see Desmond become the ultimate master assassin, it really seemed like that's what it was building up to and instead Desmond gets killed off and the modern day from that point on has been disappointing. I guess the reason for that is it's hard and expensive to make two separate stories with their own settings and gameplay mechanics. Maybe they could make two games, one about the present and one about the ancestor, and have cutscenes to tie in and summarize for those who don't buy both.

strigoi1958
07-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Yeah I totally get it. I don't think it makes you a bad fan, it's kinda hard to care for something that's barely there or doesn't really have anything going on. I was really hoping to see Desmond become the ultimate master assassin, it really seemed like that's what it was building up to and instead Desmond gets killed off and the modern day from that point on has been disappointing. I guess the reason for that is it's hard and expensive to make two separate stories with their own settings and gameplay mechanics. Maybe they could make two games, one about the present and one about the ancestor, and have cutscenes to tie in and summarize for those who don't buy both.

We're not bad fans if we simply like the games for different reasons... we're just all fans. :)
I have no idea why the MD faded away... I always thought that maybe AC was going to end with Ezio and so the MD was allowed to go ridiculously unbelievable so it came up with the biggest plot possible, kill Desmond. After such a huge dramatic twist it was hard to make the next plot twist bigger. Anyway as AC continued I think you are right, the cost of making 2 games and making them into 1, may have been a factor, plus, not knowing quite where to go next with the MD. (perhaps MD has been allowed to fade so it can return in a better way).

I think both could be made into one game, if done correctly. A standalone game would be possible, but it might take players away from the AC historical game rather than adding another game. Also it would then have to compete with other present day games like splinter cell, watch dogs, far cry etc... I like them to remain together, but not in the old way when the MD used to interrupt the game, I like the historical assassin game, I do not dislike the MD, I just dislike having the game paused. Make the MD a part of the game by making actions in the past lead to actions in the present, not just the 1st Civ and collecting batteries in a cave or walking around a sports arena/ office.

ACDumi911
07-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Perhaps you will like it if the modern day sequences of the game are fill with action and interesting characters. If you read Assassin's Creed Uprising comic, it's really suggesting this.

strigoi1958
07-03-2017, 02:30 AM
Perhaps you will like it if the modern day sequences of the game are fill with action and interesting characters. If you read Assassin's Creed Uprising comic, it's really suggesting this.

This may sound a little bad, it's not my intention and I hope you understand that I feel as strong about the game as you do about the MD

It's not about the action or characters for me. The MD was just moments that I was forced to endure before being allowed to play the game again. I have no interest in the story in any game. I'm glad it exists for people who like it and I feel it is important. I just didn't like the game being stopped to watch cutscenes and story. If the MD was actually part of the game, I wouldn't mind.

It is not important how dynamic and action filled it is, I just prefer playing as an assassin. I've suggested many times before, we play as historic assassins, we track items through time to the MD then we come out of the animus and locate the item, while Templar/ abstergo agents are trying to beat us to it. I'd be happy with that but not how it was before. Even in AC4 BF it was too intrusive and did not need to be included during the game, it could have all been done after the game.

Unless the story interacts with the game, it does not need to break the game play (although if it is able to be skipped then I don't mind that).

Megas_Doux
07-03-2017, 02:52 AM
Ahhhh the modern day!!!!

I want an strong modern day, with a new interesting playable character in an equally interesting situation too.... The thing is that MANY outside these forums swing from "not liking it" to even beg for it to be completely erased. In the end, not an easy situation for Ubisoft.

strigoi1958
07-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Ahhhh the modern day!!!!

I want an strong modern day, with a new interesting playable character in an equally interesting situation too.... The thing is that MANY outside these forums swing from "not liking it" to even beg for it to be completely erased. In the end, not an easy situation for Ubisoft.

Yes but even though I do not dislike the MD... I dislike how it was used in the games. Perhaps if the MD was integrated into the game it would change how gamers feel about it. At present the MD story is the basis for the game, it explains everything and therefore it is inherent to the game.... but it is a completely separate entity to the game... If the MD was removed we could still have the game based on all the MD from previous games, as shown by just the little MD in Syndicate. If the MD became more than a parallel story line that interrupts the game like tv adverts/ commercials (sorry but that is has it appears to me) and became part of the game then I think more people would accept and want it. I believe a whole series of games could be based on chasing pieces of eden through time to the MD and having Juno helping/ guiding templars to get them in the MD while we assassins raced to get them. We would no longer have people who prefer the MD to the game and vice versa... because the game and the MD would be one and the same. :D

AnimusLover
07-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Assassin's Creed without MD doesn't feel like AC to me, hence its partly why Unity sucked. It felt aimless, like my entire reason for being in Paris was for nothing. What Ubisoft need to do is admit that people disliked MD because it was lazily designed, not because it necessarily pulled them out of the animus. Brotherhood and AC3 had the best modern day sections because it felt like Ubisoft actually put effort into their presentation. I especially like the climbing puzzles in ACIII although the combat sequences were an absolute drag.

dxsxhxcx
07-03-2017, 09:39 PM
First thing to do to put the Modern Days back on track is stop dragging the story.

harsab
07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
The thing that has me concerned now is that i don't know if Origins can progress the MD. Anouk Bachman the brand manager of AC has confirmed again that the phoenix project will conclude in the comics next year.

What will origins honestly do to make things move forward? unless Origins starts a new story arc (but we clearly saw those ''events')' so...i'm quite confused at the moment on how Origins will progress the MD story. My biggest fear is if it will be just like Syndicate.

One can hope i guess.

Kiroku
07-04-2017, 12:14 PM
The whole story about subject 16 in the lost archive dlc from revelations is reason enough to follow the modern day story. It is actually really interesting. I actually didnt care too for a while because it wasnt as "in depth" as I wanted it to be. But when I found out about all the reconstructed data stuff, emails, letters, background stories and dlcs I got overwhelmed went to ac wiki to read all about it.

The modern day connected to the rest of the game was always a special for this series. Its like Science fiction combined with ancient history and religion. The best mixture of genres a game could consist of :P

harsab
07-04-2017, 12:31 PM
yea, i was just thinking that if we just have a strong presence of the Isu in Origins i'll be satisfied. Eg ruins, puzzles, information, pieces of eden etc.

gordon677
07-12-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm new to AC and I've never played MD, but it's already looking like it might take away from my Origin experience. I'm buying this game to play in Ancient Egypt. I realize MD is part of AC, but if it's really as bad as people make it out to be it's time to let it go. Instead of having something that interrupts the game (making it worse) just for the reason that it's been a part of previous games, maybe AC could start a tradition of letting things go that aren't working. At least make it optional for those that like it so that can enjoy it. It's bad that I've never played it and I already have a bad view of it. lol. I really hope that MD doesn't mess with the game that I want to play, the worst thing that can happen in a story is having a disjointed interruption that you're forced to play through just to get back to the game that you want to play, if you love MD that's great. But that's not the game that most people are going to be buying or the one that's advertised.

Rant against my fear of MD is over.

Kiroku
07-12-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm new to AC and I've never played MD, but it's already looking like it might take away from my Origin experience. I'm buying this game to play in Ancient Egypt. I realize MD is part of AC, but if it's really as bad as people make it out to be it's time to let it go. Instead of having something that interrupts the game (making it worse) just for the reason that it's been a part of previous games, maybe AC could start a tradition of letting things go that aren't working. At least make it optional for those that like it so that can enjoy it. It's bad that I've never played it and I already have a bad view of it. lol. I really hope that MD doesn't mess with the game that I want to play, the worst thing that can happen in a story is having a disjointed interruption that you're forced to play through just to get back to the game that you want to play, if you love MD that's great. But that's not the game that most people are going to be buying or the one that's advertised.

Rant against my fear of MD is over.

I dont think they will or lets say could easily take away the MD part of the AC series. The whole lore is build on MD to understand how it is actually possible to go back in history. And the answer to "how" is the animus. And because of this fact there will always be people that want to know more about the "how" and also the "why".

The MD part of AC is actually really interesting. As I already mentioned if people would pay a little attention to it and use all informations they can get about the MD its story is -at least in my opinion -way better than the stories when traveling back in time. There was a first civilization right before humans and they even made humans. This is actually really interesting and a real life conspiracy too even if it sounds weird. I would love to see wether they explain how the pyramids have been build and also by who. Even if its just a game and not the actual truth.

So dont fear the MD: Give it a try !

wvstolzing
07-12-2017, 01:07 PM
At least make it optional for those that like it so that can enjoy it. It's bad that I've never played it and I already have a bad view of it. lol.

'lol' indeed.

RVSage
07-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Assassin's Creed without MD doesn't feel like AC to me, hence its partly why Unity sucked. It felt aimless, like my entire reason for being in Paris was for nothing. What Ubisoft need to do is admit that people disliked MD because it was lazily designed, not because it necessarily pulled them out of the animus. Brotherhood and AC3 had the best modern day sections because it felt like Ubisoft actually put effort into their presentation. I especially like the climbing puzzles in ACIII although the combat sequences were an absolute drag.

This , Brotherhood did have the best modern day in the series, followed by AC3

dxsxhxcx
07-13-2017, 08:48 PM
This , Brotherhood did have the best modern day in the series, followed by AC3

(IMO) They could've done a lot more in Brotherhood though, huge missed opportunity there.

cawatrooper9
07-13-2017, 09:01 PM
The nice thing about Brotherhood is that, outside of the bookends (which, themselves were pretty cool) the MD was totally optional and unintrusive. Players who just wanted the historical experience weren't ripped out of the simulation for MD stuff at any point during the meat of the game. Players who wanted a deeper MD could explore the villa and find all sorts of cool lore stuff. It was a best of both worlds.

ACIII had cooler MD, in my opinion, but it was a little more intrusive.

WendysBrioche
07-14-2017, 06:41 AM
It would be cool if they were to do something with the modern day, perhaps involving a character like Desmond's son as the MD player character.

Personally, I've taken the Modern Day story arch a lot less seriously since Desmond's passing.

I was among the fans who even thought when the one's who came before were first revealed in AC II as rather silly.

I'm not a doubter in the remaining potential, I still think saomething good can easily be done with it, but up until the point they manage to make some gameplay MD again I can be content so long as my Historical Tourism element is good and fun. I always played AC for the assassin in history aspect, and the environments and open world. :D