PDA

View Full Version : Random Freezes

TopGunSF
09-14-2004, 03:50 PM
I have experienced fairly frequent and seemingly random freezes in IL-2 Forgotten Battles with Ace Expansion (2.04). It is very sudden, the plane just stops on the screen and whatever sound happens to be playing at the time (about .06 seconds worth) repeats itself quickly and constantly until I manually shut off the computer. Is there a setting I need to change to fix this. I thought it may have been my sound so I tried setting the hardware acceleration on my sound card to basic but it made no difference. (Is there a 2.05 patch being planned that might work on this? Or a 2.05 patch at all?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael Augustson

TopGunSF
09-14-2004, 03:50 PM
I have experienced fairly frequent and seemingly random freezes in IL-2 Forgotten Battles with Ace Expansion (2.04). It is very sudden, the plane just stops on the screen and whatever sound happens to be playing at the time (about .06 seconds worth) repeats itself quickly and constantly until I manually shut off the computer. Is there a setting I need to change to fix this. I thought it may have been my sound so I tried setting the hardware acceleration on my sound card to basic but it made no difference. (Is there a 2.05 patch being planned that might work on this? Or a 2.05 patch at all?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael Augustson

9th_Spitin
09-14-2004, 03:58 PM
I would maybe look at your ram, I had the same excact problem happen to me in BFV, changed out my ram and it has not done it since. Not sure if this is your problem but it fixed mine. I think there are some programs that check ram for issues.

This may not be your problem but something to think about.

S~

http://flyingknights.lordsofwar.com
http://www.lordsofwar.com/public_uploads/Bloodfist/spitinfinalsig.jpg

bazzaah2
09-14-2004, 04:05 PM
video drivers? you cd try over at tech support.

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_05.gif

Crashing online as :FI:SpinyNorman

Normally Spiny Norman was wont to be about
twelve feet from snout to tail, but when Dinsdale was depressed Norman could be
anything up to eight hundred yards long.

TopGunSF
09-14-2004, 06:49 PM
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/14/2004, 20:37:56
Machine name: TECH_XP
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 8200
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 211MB used, 1037MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (72Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6414 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/12/2003 09:50:24, 384512 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Santa Cruz(tm)

That is what I am running.
TIP FOR THOSE BUYING A NEW COMPUTER!!!!!
Dells are extremely reliable computers and are extremely well backed but I would recommend going for the best you can because upgrades can get a bit expensive. Dells use SDRAM which is the shielded version of DDRRAM. SDRAM is VERY EXPENSIVE. (I was told about $400 for 128 meg of it.) So get it put in with your system when you buy it and hope it will be enough until your hard drive explodes and you get a new computer. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Think ram could be the problem? I thought 512 was pretty good.

JG54_Arnie
09-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Change to windows 2000. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Ah, maybe an option, XP is overrated. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But going for an extra bit of ram to take it to one GB total wouldnt hurt for sure.

Although its not your PC configuration performance wise. Either hardware, overheating videocard or cpu, or bad ram, check if all your fans in the computer are working ok. Or its a driver problem, test a few versions for your videocard. I dont know about the best version for ATI though.

hmm, I see what you posted about your Ram now, not sure if that has been a good choice. Try solving the problem without upgrading the PC, in my opinion your problem is not due to a shortage of ram.
---------------------------
EasternHotshots online for your entertainment, come visit us at Hyperlobby! If you like the Eastern Front that is. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

We fly with limited planesets for 1941, 1942, 1943 and 1944, the year changing every 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Questions, recommendations or compaints: PT me.
Want to join through ip? : 130.89.227.135

Lightning72
09-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Playing offline, I get something like that every time a delayed-entry flight generates.

Use "next enemy view" key to check out the opposition at the start of the game, and then again immediately after the first (and subsequent freezes). If there is a new enemy group, then that's probably whats happening.

Sorry, Ive not found a fix except to get a better cumputer/video card.

Patch_whiner
09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Freezes are unfortunately a common occurance playing high performance games. I had
a persistent freeze up problem with GP4 that I did not solve for a long time. Microsoft OS's
require the user to analyse problems rather than the OS avoiding problems and giving glaring highlights when there will be a problem. Try the following :

1. Reinstall video card drivers (after effectively removing the old ones)
2. Reinstall sound card drivers (after effectively removing the old ones)
3. Motherboard drivers - these can be critical, which versions are they?
4. Only have a few essential processes running in the background, things like
anti-virus programs running can cause lock-ups
5. Get rid of adware files
6. Versions of graphics card drivers can be significant
7. Re-install the OS if possible

Watch out for the classic Windows problem : You install an app that uses shared drivers,
you then install another app that overwrites different versions of shared drivers. When you
run the initial app it crashes.
You have to do all the work or pay someone $40/hour not to find the problem.

PW

Lateralus_14
09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Mine was doing the same thing.

Give the specs on your power supply.

Include the total wattage, and the amps supplied on the +3.3V and +12V rails. There should be a sticker on the side of the power supply that gives this information.

Also include detailed system specs.

SeaFireLIV
09-15-2004, 12:35 PM
You really need to post in the Community (Technical forum) where the real knowable guys can help.....