PDA

View Full Version : All new approach to Main Assassination Missions!

WendysBrioche
06-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Not sure if this has been posted about, but being my first time hearing or seeing anything about this, I thought I should post it.

Anyways, just read this new Kotaku article:

http://kotaku.com/assassin-s-creed-origins-new-mission-system-sounds-lik-1796465562

Not sure which interviews this info came from, but the article states that in contrast to how assassination targets and missions have been handled in the series since AC II, the system and methods by which our targets are going to be located seem to be much more in-depth this time around.

Locating targets this time, instead of just being handed straight to you as an objective point on the map, is going to be a much more in depth process, requiring the player to actually gather information about our targets from the environment and/or npc's.

Additionally, the more information we gather, the more opportunities will be presented in terms of where, when, and how we can assassinate our targets, as they now apparantly may be following daily schedules, with multiple peak times available for the ripest and best achieved assassinations.

Here's wehat the article directly had to say:

I needed an example to understand the significance of the change, and Ismail obliged, telling me about an assassination side mission in the game involving a guy who has his own routine: “He’s a target. You have to go after him. Through the quest you find pieces of info about his life. During the day he’s out scouring the land on his chariot. At night, he goes home to his fort and sleeps in his cabin. The idea is: ‘There you go: you have that info, he’s your target. Do what you want.’ Do you want to go in through the stealth approach to fight him? Do you want to go out in the open world where he is on a chariot and is an awesome vehicle combat situation? But it’s a completely different situation. We play around with this a lot.”

Personally, I find a system like this to be the most ideal for an Assassin's game, and for me personally I couldn't be happier than with a system like this.

For me it's a lot of fun to actually go out into the open world, and actually do things in order to find my targets. As opposed to just have my targets spoonfed to me, done that way, the impact of the assassination seems diminished, mundane, and ordinary. But I think actually doing things in the environment, planning, scoping things out, and achieving your great assassination of your Templar target is a much more rewarding way of taking out your baddies.

I mean, people complain that the game doesn't give enough options in terms of stealth gameplay; this is just that- careful planning, acquiring information, preparing before a mission, these are all core aspects I think can be super essential and enhancing of stealth-based gameplay, as opposed to just walking to your target and scanning the environment, this system presents you with content in-game that creates missions and story content based on planned-stealth gameplay, it's so much it's spoiling for us in that regard, imho.

But this is a dynamic I think that explores a great potential in an open-world game type setup, where not only do you have a vast map to explore, but there are actual existing variables in the world that you can play around and toy with, and rules that you have to follow that are not fixed or finite but variable in nature, namely the routine schedules of assassination target npc's.

I think a system like this gives an open-world a level of interactivity that otherwise wouldn't be there. I personally couldn't be happier if this is the direction they're going with the series!

joelsantos24
06-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Good article. Ismail had hinted at such an approach before, if I remember correctly, and I was really stoked to hear about such variability and versatility in the in-game narrative. I don't want to get into it that much, because I haven't played the game, but I'm really excited about everything I've been reading and watching, so far.

LoyalACFan
06-29-2017, 06:54 PM
Yep, we were told the same thing at E3, but I wasn't sure if I should post anything about it since it didn't come from a formal presentation or Q&A thing. Happy to hear it myself, as well ;) I'll also add that you can now advance time to the next day/night state by holding R3, so you can choose when to approach your target without having to wait for him to move.

wigster2012
06-29-2017, 07:18 PM
If this is indeed true then it's something I would very much like, I love doing things like recon and detective work. So to me this would be a great addition.

cawatrooper9
06-29-2017, 07:19 PM
Right, glad that's out in the open now!

Kind of a neat twist on the "everyone has a 24 hour agenda" that they've been spinning, the fact that this factors into assassinations, too.

cawatrooper9
06-29-2017, 09:24 PM
I also think it'd be cool to take a similar approach to Far Cry 4's fortresses. Like, make some targets accessible from the beginning, but the actions a player has in the real world can help null the defenses.

WendysBrioche
06-29-2017, 10:18 PM
I do really wonder how dynamic this may be. Will all assassination targets be assigned different activities or will some have identical activities? Damn, I really want to know more about this game but I suspect that we'll have to wait till August for Gamescom.

Ya, but I wouldn't get too excited myself juuuuuust yet. :cool:

It might just be something they have a little bit of here and there, this is one of the few occasions we've gotten features like this since the first game, so it may not be EVERWHERE.

If I recall correctly, the community was really split on the investigation thing years ago, so they may be experimenting again and hoping for the best and that people will feel more positively about it this time around.

I imagine it'll be quite different from AC I's investigation though, but I have a strong feeling it'll be better this time, and for sure have a lot more impact on how your assassination missions will play out in terms of all-together different scenarios than what we've seen in previous games.

I'm cool with just a few missions like this, anything will suffice for me, I love this kind of stuff in games, especially the AC series!

SixKeys
06-30-2017, 04:55 AM
Yup. This is something I asked Ash about. I gave him a hypothetical scenario where you know a certain target goes out at a certain hour every day, so you could sneak into his manor while he's gone, kill a guard, poison the body and leave it in the target's bedroom for him to find and poison him that way. Ash grinned and gave a thumbs-up to confirm that that kind of scenario is absolutely possible. They want players to experiment with the system and come up with crazy assassination ideas. I'm so stoked to try it out. :D

Sushiglutton
06-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Typically I'm very sceptical whenever a developer indicates lifelike behaviour of npc:s. BUT the time manipulation mechanic sort of proves there's something there. Sounds pretty rad actually. I wonder how extensive the system is. Like how many activities a target has per day. It could quickly go out of control workload wise. Interesting piece of info regardless!

BananaBlighter
06-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Sounds amazing, can't wait to see how deep it really is.

Rugterwyper32
06-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Now this is the best news I've heard so far. Opens up a few good options, should be fun to experiment with it and figure out the cleanest options you have to get to your target. Now what I'd love is to take out everyone in the target's base location and utterly ruin their day when they make it back home, hopefully the passing time mechanic allows for something like that. "Oh no, my house is littered with corpses!".

joelsantos24
06-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Yup. This is something I asked Ash about. I gave him a hypothetical scenario where you know a certain target goes out at a certain hour every day, so you could sneak into his manor while he's gone, kill a guard, poison the body and leave it in the target's bedroom for him to find and poison him that way. Ash grinned and gave a thumbs-up to confirm that that kind of scenario is absolutely possible. They want players to experiment with the system and come up with crazy assassination ideas. I'm so stoked to try it out. :D
Exactly.

I think it's awesome, the fact that we finally have a system which, by it's own concept, motivates and gives incentive for players to experiment with different approaches and methods. It makes me wonder how many (truly) unique kills we could set in motion. It's funny, how some players highlight the (hypothetical) lack of emphasis being given towards the more conventional Assassin tools of distraction and crowd control, when we're being shown that the very own environment can be used as a tool to our advantage.

crusader_prophet
06-30-2017, 10:42 PM
This kind of philosophy was kind of discussed in the forums under this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!?p=11787178

Wonder if the devs actually read this particular thread though.

AC1 was the only game where the sync feature was immersive to me, it tied directly to the concept of Animus. As the franchise moved along, I expected it to evolve by becoming more integrated to gameplay and narrative delivery, instead it has become more of a checklist of laundry items and less of an element of storytelling. The sync mechanic is supposed to be a dynamic feature in the game which changes based on actions inside the Animus. It is supposed to reflect a player's level of synchronization with his/her ability to accurately recreate/retrace the ancestor's memories. There should be threshold level that should be maintained to achieve a certain narrative outcome. Sync should have the capability to affect a narrative's outcome in a single mission and in the entire game.

For a very basic example,

if a player's sync level is below threshold because I didn't complete certain pre-requisites (such as go talk to someone, or go for a scouting mission, talk to armor/weapons NPC etc) then he/she will not be able to access certain conversations, pathways to assassination, knowledge of specific target's location, defenses etc during a mission and there will be high probability to fail the mission, the target getting away and increased awareness among the Templars of the assassin's motives and moves, risking NPCs fate in the story etc. In the next, attempt it will be more difficult to reach the target and progress the story because lack of my actions should have consequences in the world.
If a player's sync level is just above the threshold because he/she completed bare minimum pre-reqs, giving just enough data points to Animus to re-create the Ancestor's memory and figure out a target's location and required additional info to perform a successful assassination. However, this will end with lesser rewards such as Animus not being able to converge and figure out what additional info the target had about a PoE and recent Templar plot, where was a valuable treasure chest located to acquire better gear/items etc. This will impact the present day storyline as well.
If a player's sync level is high because of my actions i.e. complete enough pre-reqs, gather intelligence, remained incognito prior mission, didn't leave a plethora of bodies on the streets etc., there will be a high probability to execute a successful assassination, locate additional resources and plot items from templars, gain popularity in modern day, unlock multiple ways to assassinate, additional death scene conversations etc. This does not mean that I can go on rampage killing during the mission and also not that I can just stick to a single cover and stay there and take my time. AI should be smart to scout even covers so I have to be in motion. If my style is to go on rampage during a mission, then in the next mission - the templars have fortified their defenses because the game reacted to my style of playing.

In summary, sync should not just a mere checklist of items by introducing optional challenges. It makes the game less immersive with bare minimum motivation and incentive. Synchronization should be reflective of a player's actions in the Animus and have an impact on story-telling and gameplay.

VoldR
07-01-2017, 05:11 AM
Yep, we were told the same thing at E3, but I wasn't sure if I should post anything about it since it didn't come from a formal presentation or Q&A thing. Happy to hear it myself, as well ;) I'll also add that you can now advance time to the next day/night state by holding R3, so you can choose when to approach your target without having to wait for him to move.
I watched a YouTube channel Centerstrain01
Which showed us that about shifting time.
:)

Up till now he was the only I'm aware of that mentioned it shortly after E3.

wigster2012
07-01-2017, 04:45 PM
I think the main thing they're worried about is given that players can be very one dimensional they don't want to give objectives for a particular style in case that's not the way the player wants to play the game, meaning they won't want to do certain missions purely because it's stealth related and there more of a gun-ho type. Hence they've gotten rid of sync and made it more open.