PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks & Canoes

LeviDaManJabroni
06-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Hey Ubi Team,

So I was out fishing with a buddy of mine out on Bull Lake, MT this past weekend and we were using kayaks as a means to hit up the fishing holes alongside the shores. We had been discussing video games already on the way up so the new Far Cry, among others, were already on my mind and I kept thinking to myself how cool it would be if you had access to kayaks and canoes in the new Far Cry. The feeling of being in a kayak compared to a motorized boat is so much more personal in my opinion with how quite they are to use as well as how low you are to the water. You can hear everything nature is doing and we were even able to sneak up pretty close on a turtle resting on an overturned tree that had halfway fallen into the water. We could see the spools of young fish go right beneath our boats and I was imagining in my head that with a canoe even you could could fit a 'co-op' buddy in the front or maybe even the new dog companion. These are just some thoughts I had over the weekend and I just had to share them with you all.

- thanks from a big fan

Steve64b
06-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Kayaks and canoes would indeed work well with the fishing. Perhaps they can even make a glass bottom kayak, so you can actually see the fishes below while you're paddling. :)

scrapser
06-27-2017, 04:12 PM
When I lived there I mainly did stream fishing for brookies or cast lures for rainbow and brown in the larger rivers. I got into fly fishing, too on the Missouri. I only fished Holter lake beyond that. Holter is man-made with a hydro-electric dam. I wonder if the game will make use of the many hydro plants in the region. Seems like it could be an epic event in the game.

But I too like the idea of kayaks and canoes. I've done both here in New England. The only place I have visited in the east that reminds me of Montana is Moosehead Lake in northern Maine.

HorTyS
06-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Kayaks & canoes definitely seem like options specifically for non-action / relaxation type downtime use. Can't imagine them being a viable option when under pursuit by the pegi's! Probably better of just diving in & swimming at that point.

HorTyS
06-27-2017, 06:01 PM
In the official trailer it is possible to glimpse a canoe near the fisherman.

True, but to me that looks like it is just part of the environment rather than an a pilot-able canoe. They had similar "set dressing" canoes in FC4.

http://i.imgur.com/P5Fyk3b.png

I hope I'm wrong but to me that looks like an integrated part of the world environment rather than an interactive element.

Canadian Beer42
06-28-2017, 01:53 AM
Ooo and with a paddle and everything!

HorTyS
06-28-2017, 03:03 AM
Ooo and with a paddle and everything!

Maybe the oar could be another new melee weapon! haha

scrapser
06-28-2017, 04:44 AM
How about friendly game wardens?

HorTyS
06-28-2017, 07:28 AM
How about friendly game wardens?

What about them? Maybe there'll be one who gives us hunting quests? I still remember one year antelope (speaking of, antelope should be in the game!) hunting and my dad was annoyed because he didn't get one and on our way out of the hunting zone we saw a herd so my dad pulled his rifle from behind the seat and shot one from the truck (which is illegal technically) and not long after a truck came up the road as he was gutting it and he thought he was in it because he thought it may've been the game warden. Fortunately it was just a civilian, but bringing up game wardens just reminded me of that.... I totally forgot about antelopes though, they should be in the game as well as big horn sheep & mountain goats. Also moose could be a new fearsome creature, those stubborn bastards can get very hostile....

scrapser
06-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Game wardens was mostly for humor but I suppose one could show up at opportune moments and maybe help you if you're in a jam, sort of like a buddy.

Yes Antelope. Your story reminds me of a day when we went hunting for Elk (Elk should be in the game, too) in Monarch which is about 35 miles southeast of Great Falls. We were on the trail of one all day but it kept itself just ahead of us so all we found were the occasional steaming pile of Elk droppings. Eventually we gave up and went back to the car (a 58 Pontiac station wagon). My father realized he locked the keys in the car, laid his rifle on the hood and walked up to the dirt road we had driven in on to find a rock to break the side window. He got up to the roadside and there was a bull Elk standing in the middle of the road about 100 feet away! Typical.

Another time we were fishing for Brookies in Running Wolf Creek and while there a game warden showed up and we had to count the trout to show we had not hit the limit yet. It used to be 10 fish or 10 pounds whichever came first.

HorTyS
06-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Game wardens was mostly for humor but I suppose one could show up at opportune moments and maybe help you if you're in a jam, sort of like a buddy.

Yes Antelope. Your story reminds me of a day when we went hunting for Elk (Elk should be in the game, too) in Monarch which is about 35 miles southeast of Great Falls. We were on the trail of one all day but it kept itself just ahead of us so all we found were the occasional steaming pile of Elk droppings. Eventually we gave up and went back to the car (a 58 Pontiac station wagon). My father realized he locked the keys in the car, laid his rifle on the hood and walked up to the dirt road we had driven in on to find a rock to break the side window. He got up to the roadside and there was a bull Elk standing in the middle of the road about 100 feet away! Typical.

Another time we were fishing for Brookies in Running Wolf Creek and while there a game warden showed up and we had to count the trout to show we had not hit the limit yet. It used to be 10 fish or 10 pounds whichever came first.

Perhaps one of the guns for hire we meet will be a game warden or something. And elk definitely are in the game, you see a character hunting one in the debut trailer

http://i.imgur.com/GZC6cMB.png

MikeJDRW
07-26-2017, 12:31 AM
I like canoes, and since we had small boats in FC4, I think canoes would be a doable thing. Of course then you have to deal with rapids and such, but an experienced paddler can do rapids.

What about them? Maybe there'll be one who gives us hunting quests? I still remember one year antelope (speaking of, antelope should be in the game!) hunting and my dad was annoyed because he didn't get one and on our way out of the hunting zone we saw a herd so my dad pulled his rifle from behind the seat and shot one from the truck (which is illegal technically) and not long after a truck came up the road as he was gutting it and he thought he was in it because he thought it may've been the game warden. Fortunately it was just a civilian, but bringing up game wardens just reminded me of that.... I totally forgot about antelopes though, they should be in the game as well as big horn sheep & mountain goats. Also moose could be a new fearsome creature, those stubborn bastards can get very hostile....

Yeah there should be antelope as MT and WY have a lot of them. Moose also, and Bison, which also can be mean if you get too near them. Also don't forget the mule-deer....just sayin' there's all sorts of critters in MT.

As far as an oar might go as a defensive weapon, ya can lightly sharpen an aluminum one and they will cut.

HorTyS
07-26-2017, 02:28 AM
Moose are highly territorial and will get aggressive to trespassers, so I definitely hope to see moose in the game. When I was a kid we went to the bison range a couple of times. They're protected and kept in sanctuary so I wouldn't be surprised not to see them in the game though. I do hope they have rapids and more fast moving rivers in this game. Now that I think on it the rivers seem pretty static in FC4....

MikeJDRW
07-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Yeah moose are, but I've had one plod past me when I was out reading on my deck, paying me no mind, which I thought was cool a couple of years ago. It didn't pester me and I didn't it, but followed it at a distance down to our cove, where it started dining on the river grasses. Seeing moose here is cool all the time, and we can see them from time to time, although they are a solitary animal. They are likely to be alone, or with their mate or their kids - it's not uncommon to see a cow and its calf or two roaming near the creeks and other wet areas (other might call swamps) during daylight or even dusk hours. The ones we don't see are the bulls as often; yet every once in a while we get that treat!

The rez down at the end of our road - 28+ miles to the bridge crossing have a herd of bison, and yea they are fenced in as well. Other than that we saw them at Yellowstone in Wyoming in '02, or other places, like zoos...