PDA

View Full Version : Please, some HUD-free elegance would be nice,

curreyj
06-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Don't you think?
You know, like a wide-screen movie.
Yes, I hope it goes without saying that there will be a tag-free option, but unless I am wearing a Crytec space suit or some such thing, I dont want to see anything but the visual scene.
If I get ambushed or startled by a hidden enemy, well, i was not being careful enough in my approach, was I ? Or quick enough with my shotgun.
When I want to look at my map, i hit "5".
Am I axing for too much realism?

HorTyS
06-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Hopefully we still have a fully toggle-able HUD with options for each individual element, but it would be cooler still to be able to make certain elements dynamic, like ammo counters that only appear when you reload or use a grenade, or objective reminders that just appear for 5 seconds every minute or so to help keep you reminded of your current task.

curreyj
06-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Thanks for your comment!
Haven't played Primal, but once a year I play FarCry 2, and I am always amazed at the emmersiveness and simplicity of the game play, especially the close combat that happens from time to time completely by accident.

curreyj
06-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Hopefully we still have a fully toggle-able HUD with options for each individual element, but it would be cooler still to be able to make certain elements dynamic, like ammo counters that only appear when you reload or use a grenade,
Completely agree.

[/QUOTE] or objective reminders that just appear for 5 seconds every minute or so to help keep you reminded of your current task.[/QUOTE]
I think a "reminder" like that would become unbearably annoying. A quick key stroke would be enough for that purpose.

HorTyS
06-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Not everyone is on a pc and controllers ain't exactly got an extra button to spare for such trivialities. Why would your objective appearing for 5 seconds every once in a while be "unbearable"?

HorTyS
07-11-2017, 07:47 PM
I advocate reduced HUD not because of it's convenience or that it makes things "easy" but rather that it detracts from the game itself and the world it puts you in and draws focus from exploring the environment. FC2 was great as far as HUD was concerned. The ammo indicator only appeared when you reloaded or otherwise depleted your stock (like throwing a 'nade) and other than that it didn't really have much in the way of static HUD elements. The compass in FC5 is ok, thats not going to bother me much, but I'll no doubt disable a few of the other elements like constant objective indicators or the GFH directions that seem to show up whenever you aim & such...

fourheadedgoat
07-17-2017, 07:15 AM
Agreed. I play completely HUD free, nothing, zip, not even ammo readout. If I need to change ammo in a hurry; I switch to my quick change weapon-as absolutely NO ONE in real-life a) knows how much ammo they have left in their automatic weapon, and [especially] b)..reloads after every-figgen- burst. I actually get irrationally angry whenever I see people play like that, such an armchair warrior tactic.

Ideally all I want, is a compass. Nothing else. Far Cry 3 on '360 was terrible regarding the HUD, I honestly had to put a DVD case against the t.v, to prevent me seeing the minimap. Nothing's more immersion-breaking in a shooter; than knowing where your enemies are...even the T1000, couldn't track enemies behind walls.

HorTyS
07-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Agreed. I play completely HUD free, nothing, zip, not even ammo readout. If I need to change ammo in a hurry; I switch to my quick change weapon-as absolutely NO ONE in real-life a) knows how much ammo they have left in their automatic weapon, and [especially] b)..reloads after every-figgen- burst. I actually get irrationally angry whenever I see people play like that, such an armchair warrior tactic.

Ideally all I want, is a compass. Nothing else. Far Cry 3 on '360 was terrible regarding the HUD, I honestly had to put a DVD case against the t.v, to prevent me seeing the minimap. Nothing's more immersion-breaking in a shooter; than knowing where your enemies are...even the T1000, couldn't track enemies behind walls.

I typically leave some HUD elements intact, but there are definitely a few options I switch off. They just have so many unnecessary things on there by default. Like a fuggin' crouch indicator. If you need an icon on the screen to tell you you're crouched just turn off the game and stop playing because you're an idiot who needs to pick up a book or something. I like your point about ammo counts, and agree about the excessive reloads most people do. I was watching some footage of the last wolfenstein the other day and this guy was reloading his pistol after every. single. shot. drove me nuts watching.