PDA

View Full Version : With non-yearly release cycles(hopefully)do you think we can get a bigger/better DLC?

RVSage
06-19-2017, 08:39 PM
We all know that Ubisoft's current plan seems to be , not to return for yearly releases.

I posed this question when I met the devs, and they are said they cannot talk about it at the moment.

Does this mean we can get a bigger , more fleshed out DLC in 2018? Like Blood and Wine in Witcher 3??? or Uncharted 4 Lost Legacy???

I always thought Brotherhood for the most part felt like a DLC of AC2.

Thoughts???

STDlyMcStudpants
06-19-2017, 08:55 PM
We all know that Ubisoft's current plan seems to be , not to return for yearly releases.

I posed this question when I met the devs, and they are said they cannot talk about it at the moment.

Does this mean we can get a bigger , more fleshed out DLC in 2018? Like Blood and Wine in Witcher 3??? or Uncharted 4 Lost Legacy???

Thoughts???

This engine is being used for a trilogy....
Its back on a yearly cycle.. prepare for cookie cutters creed until 2020 with the ps5 and next box
so i doubt it..
UBisoft just isnt CD projekt red...
Theyre working on multiple games at a time with as much love as they can.. unfortunately that much isnt a lot compared to CD
I feel CDPR made expansions out of love for the lore.. .to finish the story of Geralt... and move on to Ciri
These expansions were 10-20 hours long each...not counting added side activities..
If it was a ubi studio they wouldve been standalone games for $60
We'll get about what were used to...
maybe a 2hr expansion

cawatrooper9
06-19-2017, 08:59 PM
This engine is being used for a trilogy....
ITs back on a yearly cycle.. prepare for cookie cutters creed until 2020 with the ps5 and next box

Source?

RV, I think we talked about this last week, but I totally think it would be neat if the game isn't going annualized to have some significant DLC to scratch that itch- as long as it's something that

1) Adds to the story or overall lore (think Freedom Cry)

and

2) Doesn't subtract from what's in the game at launch (for a negative example, think Bonfire and Forli)

Otherwise, yeah, significant DLC would be great!

STDlyMcStudpants
06-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Source?

RV, I think we talked about this last week, but I totally think it would be neat if the game isn't going annualized to have some significant DLC to scratch that itch- as long as it's something that

and

2) Doesn't subtract from what's in the game at launch (for a negative example, think Bonfire and Forli)

When the egypt rumour started going around late 2015/early 2016 it was attached to them doing a trilogy based off of this character like they did with ezio..
The next being set in Ancient Greece/Rome 3rd place idr

RVSage
06-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Source?

and

yea true that, Bonfire should have been part of main AC2 game.

The DLC could focus on a secondary character, who could get more screen time in the DLC, like they did with Evie on JTR (Not that Evie was secondary) or like Adewale for Freedom Cry. With a more focus and depth. would be great

cawatrooper9
06-19-2017, 10:07 PM
When the egypt rumour started going around late 2015/early 2016 it was attached to them doing a trilogy based off of this character like they did with ezio..
The next being set in Ancient Greece/Rome 3rd place idr

Right, I guess given your claim I was just wondering if you were going off more..

The DLC could focus on a secondary character, who could get more screen time in the DLC, like they did with Evie on JTR (Not that Evie was secondary) or like Adewale for Freedom Cry. With a more focus and depth. would be great
Yeah, that's probably the route they should go. That allows them to bring in a new perspective. It also makes it seem like a totally new story, and less like something cut from the main game.

SHADOWGARVIN
06-19-2017, 10:32 PM

Does this mean we can get a bigger , more fleshed out DLC in 2018?

I certainly didn't know it was Ubisoft's plan to not return to yearly releases. As fas as I know Ubisoft hasn't said anything about this. It seems to me that they gave the ACO team one exta year to truly reinvent the series. I think that if this game is a succes that they will most likely return to yearly releases and I hope that they will. AC is one of the few games I play and I really missed it last year. DLC is no substitute for a whole game. I rather have a new AC game than DLC.

I love AC Brotherhood. It's one of the best games in the series. Not once did I feel as if I was playing a DLC of AC2.

ze_topazio
06-19-2017, 11:05 PM
In a perfect world there would be no DLC at all, everything would be on the disc from the start.

strigoi1958
06-19-2017, 11:56 PM
I have to go with ze-topazio here but just because I would prefer annual games rather than a game one year and DLC the next. Also as this is (as mooted) part of a trilogy... I'd like to play the second and third without too long in between.

Judging by how fickle some fans are (I'm going on how quickly the forums faded after Syndicate) it might not be beneficial financially to risk losing all the fans to a different game by prolonging the wait... especially if Origins becomes the best selling AC game or even one of the best selling. (But that my just be me looking for reasons to have the next game next year ;) )

Megas_Doux
06-20-2017, 01:01 AM

I don't think the annual releases are gone. They are just on hold......If Origins turns out to be a critical and financial success there will be a sequel in 2018. Count on it!

If Ubi develops such thing, it will turn either a full priced game or an episodic DLC to say the least. No Blood and wine in a 1000 years. Which leads me to:

I always thought Brotherhood for the most part felt like a DLC of AC2

I used to have the articles, but are long gone now. See, AC II at first was this game in Ezio was said to fight "3 families" which a posteriori we can safely assume as the Pazzi's, Barbarigo's and even the Borgia's. It's not that far fetched to think during the stages of development ACB ended up a full 60$.

SixKeys
06-20-2017, 04:55 AM
I used to have the articles, but are long gone now. See, AC II at first was this game in Ezio was said to fight "3 families" which a posteriori we can safely assume as the Pazzi's, Barbarigo's and even the Borgia's. It's not that far fetched to think during the stages of development ACB ended up a full 60$.

It's not even speculation, this is confirmed to have been the plan before they decided to turn the expansion into a full game. The official AC2 novelization has some inconsistencies with the gameplay, including Rodrigo committing suicide, which may have been changed not so much for historical accuracy (they could always have found some excuse to justify it) but because they needed him alive for ACB, to give Ezio's continued vendetta against the Borgias some impetus. Ezio's change of heart at the last minute to spare Rodrigo's life feels very abrupt considering how casually he's been taking the lives of the other conspirators up until that moment.

As for "bigger" DLC, well....compared to which ones? Tyranny of King Washington is pretty huge if you count all three episodes as one. Freedom Cry is a decent size, so much so that they released it as a standalone. Dead Kings was fairly small in comparison. Can't say how big Jack the Ripper was as I never got very far, but I'm guessing Dead Kings size. Would love to get something the size of ToKW, but with the whole map being fully explorable, not limited by episodes.

pirate1802
06-20-2017, 05:42 AM
Witcher 3 I feel is a very bad game, not because it's actually bad but because it raises your expectations so high that everything else now seems puny in comparison. For example, having played the "DLC" Blood and Wine, I feel I can never go back to piecemeal hour-long DLCs without feeling ripped off. Damn CDPR.

VestigialLlama4
06-20-2017, 06:25 AM
There is a trend among some franchises to do away with the old DLC Model.

UNCHARTED LOST LEGACY and DISHONORED DEATH OF THE OUTSIDER are examples. ACIV: Freedom Cry is arguably another kind of that.

When I think of Bigger Better DLC, I think of in chronological order:

GTA IV: Episodes

UNDEAD NIGHTMARE (Which is legitimately better than the main game and i will fight anyone to the death for that)

DISHONORED: KNIFE OF DUNWALL/BRIGMORE WITCHES (which is 2/3rds the size of the main game and just as good).

Among the DLC AC has put out...only Tyranny of King Washington comes close in terms of that ambition and scope.

Everything depends on what comes next...but I'd be surprised if Ubisoft Pre-Announced a Story DLC for Origins they way they did Jack the Ripper...

because the industry trends are against it.

straty88
06-20-2017, 07:05 AM
It's not even speculation, this is confirmed to have been the plan before they decided to turn the expansion into a full game. The official AC2 novelization has some inconsistencies with the gameplay, including Rodrigo committing suicide, which may have been changed not so much for historical accuracy (they could always have found some excuse to justify it) but because they needed him alive for ACB, to give Ezio's continued vendetta against the Borgias some impetus. Ezio's change of heart at the last minute to spare Rodrigo's life feels very abrupt considering how casually he's been taking the lives of the other conspirators up until that moment.

Yeah they also stated in one of the developer diaries that game was originally supposed to go from 1476 to 1503. 1503 being the year of Rodrigo's death.

Edit: 0:54

https://youtu.be/jpv97dOggoM?t=54s