PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Roth Discussion (Syndicate Spoilers)

TexasCaesar
06-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Just finished Sequence 8 and boy was that a good sequence. Some of the most entertaining writing in an AC game, and decent missions. His death scene was particularly great, though. There's been some good Templar death scenes (like, say, Thomas Hickey) and some bad ones (like Rupert Ferris), but the Roth scene is the only one I remember that caught me totally off-guard.

Of course, I'm talking about the kiss. So, do you all think Roth is meant to be gay? I could see it going either way. That he was just going out the same way he lived, a crazy bastard driven by impulse, or I could see it as being a sort of romantic thing (I think the Progression Log entry for Roth alluded to Jacob being somebody he "loved.") Not romance in the typical sappy sense, but at least some kind of attraction.

strigoi1958
06-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Wrong forum... this is the origins forum this needs to be in assassin's creed general discussions.

frodrigues55
06-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Interesting topic, because it deals with a certain aspect that I don't think many people noticed while playing the game. The scene was part of a dicussion with Syndicate's lead writter and you can read the rundown here: http://remeshed.com/2016/jacob-frye-gay-bisexual/

It's really well explained but to sum it up: Jacob is bi. They both were low-key attracted to each other. They enjoyed each other's time up until everything went to hell, obviously.

TexasCaesar
06-18-2017, 06:26 AM
Interesting topic, because it deals with a certain aspect that I don't think many people noticed while playing the game. The scene was part of a dicussion with Syndicate's lead writter and you can read the rundown here: http://remeshed.com/2016/jacob-frye-gay-bisexual/

It's really well explained but to sum it up: Jacob is bi. They both were low-key attracted to each other. They enjoyed each other's time up until everything went to hell, obviously.

That's kind of disappointing, it's reasonable to assume that a character is straight unless otherwise evidenced, and you'd think that they would give more attention to that notable aspect of Jacob's personality. It could have been more interesting, but keeping that out of the game itself sort of feels like wasting it. At least, there could have been more hints dropped or more build-up. I never got a gay vibe from Jacob and Maxwell, just a budding friendship.

SixKeys
06-18-2017, 08:44 AM
That's kind of disappointing, it's reasonable to assume that a character is straight unless otherwise evidenced, and you'd think that they would give more attention to that notable aspect of Jacob's personality. It could have been more interesting, but keeping that out of the game itself sort of feels like wasting it. At least, there could have been more hints dropped or more build-up. I never got a gay vibe from Jacob and Maxwell, just a budding friendship.

So you never got a gay vibe from them, yet in your first post you say you could see the possibility of there being mutual attraction. :confused: Which is it?

joshoolhorst
06-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Wrong forum... this is the origins forum this needs to be in assassin's creed general discussions.

I hate the change personaly XD