PDA

View Full Version : My Ideas, Requests and Offers about the Game

Gallowglass89
06-16-2017, 02:13 AM
This game made me create Ubisoft account and get here, so here are my additions to your post:
(Please excuse my English, it's not my native language.)

- Man-o-War available for pirates. Let's face it: anyone who knows any amount about pirates knows they never relied on canons much, doing one or two salvos mainly for disorienting the enemy crew before the boarding. Let's stop this and, having fantasy-like ship designs and krakens in 1721, let's also dream about heavy armed reinforced piratic battlestations full of trained cannoneers, with black hulls and sails destroying any civilized nations ships sent to hunt them. In terms of ship sizes and classes, I would ask for third rates most probably; capturing a third rate two deckers (64-80 canons) would already be a deed of legend and a captain with few of these would be a prominent and infamous figure; a successful boarding and capture of a three decker (90-100) would be an ultimate naval victory for any pirate and would make such a player a top figure across the whole Indian ocean. Just imagine how cool a pirate customization would be for such floating fortresses? Personally I always was a fan of the idea of a firepower domination, to hell the boarding glory the pirates were always famous for - I want to be a pirate with the most guns at my command and the crew trained and weathered by countless gun battles with other ships; of course it should go with a price as I would be ultimately destructive at distance but clumsy and ineffective in close combat; a nice balancer to the overall rogueish, 'melee' oriented pirate flavor. That said, I would be happy with any other ship classes added to the already announced list. Only three is obviously too little a number both for tactical fun in battle and overall atmosphere of a ragtag outlaw flotilla. I also would like to note that it does not mean a manowar would just destroy the ships instead of boarding them - as we saw in the announcement trailer, we can always destroy the spar and masts first to cripple the ship, aim at the upper deck to wipe out the manpower of the enemy, like Sabatini's captain Peter Blood did, or, like another French captain from the same book, aim at the cannon decks to dominate the enemy's firepower and then easily board. There should be options in which to train your crew - where to aim at, how to shoot - salvos or rapid fire etc. Each should have its advantages and disadvantages in different scenarios.

- Boarding options: sink/capture boarded ship; kill/capture (for ransom) the remaining enemy crew; grab the resources like weapons, powder, cannonballs, food, booze, ammunition etc. which may take time so you have to choose if you dont have time and in the middle of battle - whether to meddle but replenish your initially limited and highly needed resources; you could also choose on which type of resources to concentrate - food/booze for keeping your crew fresh and content, powder and ammo for higher firepower, wood/cordage/sailcloth/other stuff like that - for repairing the rigging, spar and masts for better manouverability and speed. You have to prioritize, to wisely choose and to meet the consequences of imbalanced resources. For example, capturing a ship with smaller gold amounts but higher amounts of other resources would also be optional and attractive if you have hulls full of gold but severe lack of fine food and water for your mates; or lack of ammo.

- Customization for anythings, and tons of options for it. Pirates are their own unique culture, a grotesque but attractive outlaw mix of other cultures peppered with naval/morbid imagery. Considering the region in which we will operate, it allows the widest range of imagery, tattoos, body art, clothing and symbols we could choose from. besides that, more functional customization would be available. In addition to what I mentioned in previous parts, I would also agree with people who ask for more customization/specialization options for your crew. And not only first mates. The sail ship crew consists of several positions who manage different things but are all very important. The crew and the discipline - boatswain, the cannons - chief gunner, the naval skills - skipper, the resources and finance - quartermaster (hey John Silver), chief mate and/or firstmate for overall management - they all should have different characters to manage over, whose personalities, charisma and skills should matter, that should add some storytelling and roleplaying depth - who do you trust enough to ask for support in case of a possible mutiny after several defeats and failed boardings? who would betray your 'lair' location to the pirate hunters or trade company agents? who is prone to rum abuse and would forget to command his subordinates to prepare the powder and ammo before a tough fight with a rival pirate frigate? whom would you sacrifice or make example of in front of your whole crew to remind them of who's the biggest and the baddest wolf here? It should add to the overall constantly dangerous, social darwinist atmosphere that comes when you operate a team of outlaw daredevils. I dont mean the developers should write Witcher 3 on sea, it should just be something more than multiplayer oriented arcadesque stuff with moba-ethics and timing.

- That leads us to the next and last request - cultural and racial diversity, this is Indian ocean, nuff said. Africa, Arabic peninsula, India, Bay of Bengal, Southeast Asia. Plus colonies of almost all 'exploring' european nations' across that region. It is 1721 - the superstitions and traditions of each of cultures involved should be somewhat present to create absolutely flamboyant, impressive mixture your pirate fleet can become.
I am absolutely OK with no in land gameplay, as I already mentioned in another thread, a good, deep story and appealing characters can be created without it pretty nicely, Still, strategy-wise, we should have nice atmospheric hideouts and lairs announced in the initial info about features. Again, I need to stress out, lairs also should differ based on region - ports in Madagascar, on Sumatra, at Seishel islands and around Sri Lanka should have different vibe about them, different resources, possible blades for hire with differnt specializations etc.

I would like to hear any comments, thoughts and criticism on these points:) I plan to add more with time. Personally if they add at least a part from each into the game, it probably would be the best game for me since the times I started playing games in 1998.

Galakseeowonder
06-16-2017, 09:19 AM
This game made me create Ubisoft account and get here, so here are my additions to your post:
(Please excuse my English, it's not my native language.)

- Man-o-War available for pirates. Let's face it: anyone who knows any amount about pirates knows they never relied on canons much, doing one or two salvos mainly for disorienting the enemy crew before the boarding. Let's stop this and, having fantasy-like ship designs and krakens in 1721, let's also dream about heavy armed reinforced piratic battlestations full of trained cannoneers, with black hulls and sails destroying any civilized nations ships sent to hunt them. In terms of ship sizes and classes, I would ask for third rates most probably; capturing a third rate two deckers (64-80 canons) would already be a deed of legend and a captain with few of these would be a prominent and infamous figure; a successful boarding and capture of a three decker (90-100) would be an ultimate naval victory for any pirate and would make such a player a top figure across the whole Indian ocean. Just imagine how cool a pirate customization would be for such floating fortresses? Personally I always was a fan of the idea of a firepower domination, to hell the boarding glory the pirates were always famous for - I want to be a pirate with the most guns at my command and the crew trained and weathered by countless gun battles with other ships; of course it should go with a price as I would be ultimately destructive at distance but clumsy and ineffective in close combat; a nice balancer to the overall rogueish, 'melee' oriented pirate flavor. That said, I would be happy with any other ship classes added to the already announced list. Only three is obviously too little a number both for tactical fun in battle and overall atmosphere of a ragtag outlaw flotilla. I also would like to note that it does not mean a manowar would just destroy the ships instead of boarding them - as we saw in the announcement trailer, we can always destroy the spar and masts first to cripple the ship, aim at the upper deck to wipe out the manpower of the enemy, like Sabatini's captain Peter Blood did, or, like another French captain from the same book, aim at the cannon decks to dominate the enemy's firepower and then easily board. There should be options in which to train your crew - where to aim at, how to shoot - salvos or rapid fire etc. Each should have its advantages and disadvantages in different scenarios.

- Boarding options: sink/capture boarded ship; kill/capture (for ransom) the remaining enemy crew; grab the resources like weapons, powder, cannonballs, food, booze, ammunition etc. which may take time so you have to choose if you dont have time and in the middle of battle - whether to meddle but replenish your initially limited and highly needed resources; you could also choose on which type of resources to concentrate - food/booze for keeping your crew fresh and content, powder and ammo for higher firepower, wood/cordage/sailcloth/other stuff like that - for repairing the rigging, spar and masts for better manouverability and speed. You have to prioritize, to wisely choose and to meet the consequences of imbalanced resources. For example, capturing a ship with smaller gold amounts but higher amounts of other resources would also be optional and attractive if you have hulls full of gold but severe lack of fine food and water for your mates; or lack of ammo.

- Customization for anythings, and tons of options for it. Pirates are their own unique culture, a grotesque but attractive outlaw mix of other cultures peppered with naval/morbid imagery. Considering the region in which we will operate, it allows the widest range of imagery, tattoos, body art, clothing and symbols we could choose from. besides that, more functional customization would be available. In addition to what I mentioned in previous parts, I would also agree with people who ask for more customization/specialization options for your crew. And not only first mates. The sail ship crew consists of several positions who manage different things but are all very important. The crew and the discipline - boatswain, the cannons - chief gunner, the naval skills - skipper, the resources and finance - quartermaster (hey John Silver), chief mate and/or firstmate for overall management - they all should have different characters to manage over, whose personalities, charisma and skills should matter, that should add some storytelling and roleplaying depth - who do you trust enough to ask for support in case of a possible mutiny after several defeats and failed boardings? who would betray your 'lair' location to the pirate hunters or trade company agents? who is prone to rum abuse and would forget to command his subordinates to prepare the powder and ammo before a tough fight with a rival pirate frigate? whom would you sacrifice or make example of in front of your whole crew to remind them of who's the biggest and the baddest wolf here? It should add to the overall constantly dangerous, social darwinist atmosphere that comes when you operate a team of outlaw daredevils. I dont mean the developers should write Witcher 3 on sea, it should just be something more than multiplayer oriented arcadesque stuff with moba-ethics and timing.

- That leads us to the next and last request - cultural and racial diversity, this is Indian ocean, nuff said. Africa, Arabic peninsula, India, Bay of Bengal, Southeast Asia. Plus colonies of almost all 'exploring' european nations' across that region. It is 1721 - the superstitions and traditions of each of cultures involved should be somewhat present to create absolutely flamboyant, impressive mixture your pirate fleet can become.
I am absolutely OK with no in land gameplay, as I already mentioned in another thread, a good, deep story and appealing characters can be created without it pretty nicely, Still, strategy-wise, we should have nice atmospheric hideouts and lairs announced in the initial info about features. Again, I need to stress out, lairs also should differ based on region - ports in Madagascar, on Sumatra, at Seishel islands and around Sri Lanka should have different vibe about them, different resources, possible blades for hire with differnt specializations etc.

I would like to hear any comments, thoughts and criticism on these points:) I plan to add more with time. Personally if they add at least a part from each into the game, it probably would be the best game for me since the times I started playing games in 1998.

We can assume from the gameplay trailer that their is almost Spanish and English pirates captains/crew