PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Survive As a Kensei?

Vakris_One
06-16-2017, 12:53 AM
I played the early alpha and the subsequent betas and finally decided to buy the game. I main Kensei and I used to win close to 90% of my fights against any characters and against most players. So I'm not a newbie but I have obviously missed a lot in the game.

I've stuck to doing Duels and Brawls just to get back in the groove and because my characters are low gear level. I am getting destroyed by veteran players! There is nothing my Kensei can do - it seems like everyone is intimately familiar with his moveset and knows exactly how to shut him down. They are parrying everything the Kensei can do: his side dodge attack, his top dodge forward attack, his top heavy unblockable, his top heavy cancel to uninterruptible side heavy, guardbreaks... it's crazy. I cannot surprise or feint any of my opponents no matter how much I mix up my attacks. And I'm going, "wtf happened to attacking in this game? Everyone is doing turtle defence + unstoppable counter attack and spamming guardbreak.

The Kensei seems too slow and sluggish to be able to win 1v1s. It feels as if the current meta has left him behind and made him into an obsolete relic of yester year. Or am I just doing something wrong? Any high level Kensei players out there willing to give advice on what I have to do to play my beloved Kensei?

Much obliged for any tips and tricks to playing the Kensei against high level players, which seems to be the whole playerbase. There doesn't seem to be many new players to speak of.

XxHunterHxX
06-16-2017, 01:14 AM
You just w8 for them to atack first...and parry them in to gb coz its 100% garanteed now and thats pretty much how you go about it....

and gb in to the wall for a garanteed top heavy......

its hard man.....now that slow caracters with tons of hp + lots of dmg have fast stance....slow caracters like kensei ir kinda pointles...unles you wana w8 for your oponent to atack first...and turtle up you can win.....im even turteling up with the shinobi....or pk.....the game as it is now its bad....relly....if you just got the game then take it back and ghet back the money you spend on it...

Kitsune..
06-16-2017, 04:51 AM
I'd suggest you to watch some videos from these channels
Alphastrike6 (https://www.twitch.tv/alphastrike6/videos/all)
Lucasfio (https://www.twitch.tv/lucasfiodois)
BigHatLogan (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsQcys4Em2tbZPBNjMtSpBA)
They aren't really new, but Kensei hasn't changed much sadly :(

x_Senduko_x
06-16-2017, 01:03 PM
After this Patch even with this "buffs" (i cant write it without laughing) ur live as kensei is much more harder cuz all classes now have fast guardstance.

Vakris_One
06-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I'm gonna stick with it and try to prevail. The Kensei is my best bet at having some level of fun while trying to fight against this turtle meta. He's got a lot of ways to cancel out of attacks and turn them into strikes from different directions even though he's now slow as hell vs the fast guard stance, which I understand every character got given - so they all have the speed in defence of an agile assassin with lightweight weapons... gut punch to the logic there.

I must admit I was very surprised at being totally negated by quite a few Lawbringers while playing both as a Kensei and an Orochi. An Orochi having to turtle against a HP monster like the LB because he can shut down any attack at any speed is not balanced. Lawbringer has high health for a reason and that reason ain't so he can have the best of both worlds by being both excellent at defence and excellent at going aggressive. The Warlords I faced had the same issue. I was very surprised at how quickly they can switch back to guarding after making an attack themselves - a few of them actually blocked my Kensei's dodge strike as I dodged out of the way of their light attack.

I only bought the game yesterday. Honestly I am quite miffed that 4 months after release and the game is unbalanced to the point where it seems like only 3-4 characters are viable for high level play. If they kept it the way it was in the last Beta it would have been much more balanced, albeit still not perfect. At least all the characters had viability back then.

After this Patch even with this "buffs" (i cant write it without laughing) ur live as kensei is much more harder cuz all classes now have fast guardstance.
What buffs is the Kensei getting?

x_Senduko_x
06-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I'm gonna stick with it and try to prevail. The Kensei is my best bet at having some level of fun while trying to fight against this turtle meta. He's got a lot of ways to cancel out of attacks and turn them into strikes from different directions even though he's now slow as hell vs the fast guard stance, which I understand every character got given - so they all have the speed in defence of an agile assassin with lightweight weapons... gut punch to the logic there.

I must admit I was very surprised at being totally negated by quite a few Lawbringers while playing both as a Kensei and an Orochi. An Orochi having to turtle against a HP monster like the LB because he can shut down any attack at any speed is not balanced. Lawbringer has high health for a reason and that reason ain't so he can have the best of both worlds by being both excellent at defence and excellent at going aggressive. The Warlords I faced had the same issue. I was very surprised at how quickly they can switch back to guarding after making an attack themselves - a few of them actually blocked my Kensei's dodge strike as I dodged out of the way of their light attack.

I only bought the game yesterday. Honestly I am quite miffed that 4 months after release and the game is unbalanced to the point where it seems like only 3-4 characters are viable for high level play. If they kept it the way it was in the last Beta it would have been much more balanced, albeit still not perfect. At least all the characters had viability back then.

What buffs is the Kensei getting?

his helmsplitter and swiftstrike doesnt stop the chain even its blocked.

Vakris_One
06-16-2017, 03:07 PM
his helmsplitter and swiftstrike doesnt stop the chain even its blocked.
Oh.... Well, it's something I guess. I would have gone with increasing the speed of swiftstrike and the speed of cancelling the top heavy unblockable into a side uninterruptable as the Kensei's moves are far too slow and telegraphed now with high level players able to parry him with ease.

Netcode_err_404
06-16-2017, 03:10 PM
How to survive as kensei ?

Easy.

Hope to never find a good parry king. Or a turtle.

If you do meet one of these, run.