PDA

View Full Version : Do people really care about Gear Score THAT much?

Moondyne_MC
06-14-2017, 10:58 PM
This might just be my own personal experience, but I'm finding everyone falls back on the matchmaking GS imbalances when discussing the rage quit issue. As in "as soon as people see high GS they're going to quit during the grace period".

My Nobu is rep 10 with high GS, but I also frequently play Warden, Kensei and Berserker, all with low GS, and you know what? I do just fine with them when versing high level, high GS players.

Besides certain feats stacking with GS, I feel that gear is in a well balanced area right now, and that a player of reasonable skill will have no real troubles with a GS imbalance. I really don't think it's an issue at all.

Anyone agree/disagree?

The_B0G_
06-14-2017, 11:28 PM
This might just be my own personal experience, but I'm finding everyone falls back on the matchmaking GS imbalances when discussing the rage quit issue. As in "as soon as people see high GS they're going to quit during the grace period".

My Nobu is rep 10 with high GS, but I also frequently play Warden, Kensei and Berserker, all with low GS, and you know what? I do just fine with them when versing high level, high GS players.

Besides certain feats stacking with GS, I feel that gear is in a well balanced area right now, and that a player of reasonable skill will have no real troubles with a GS imbalance. I really don't think it's an issue at all.

Anyone agree/disagree?

With similarly skilled players it gives an advantage, most noticeable is the stamina stat gear pieces for me. I had a team of guys with maxed out GS against all guys that had less than rep 1 heroes and they beat us, they rolled as a gank squad with 2 cents the whole game though.

We tried to split up and keep capping zones to make them break first but it was a small map and they were tearing through us 4v1 and 4v2 really quickly.

So I guess it depends on tactics and hero choice when it comes to gear score mattering or not. In 1v1 we would beat them but not as a gank squad. 2 cents, a zerk and a raider = quick death no matter what the gs.

UbiNoty
06-14-2017, 11:32 PM
I think it's largely a perception issue. While there's nothing to show that gear score is strongly correlated to player skill, it does still show that they've at least spent some time with that hero (and obviously put effort into them).
edit: and like Bog said, there is still an advantage to having higher GS (even though we've tuned it down somewhat).

We do have matchmaking changes that should be coming out not too long from now though, and it should go a long way towards helping to address actual matchmaking imbalance issues. :D