PDA

View Full Version : Did dinosaurs ever exist in AC?

joshoolhorst
06-14-2017, 07:38 PM
I doubt it but still I tried to find something but couldn't find it is there any mention of it and YES I made this because I saw Harry Potter basilisk but that is a mystical creature mostly and perhaps a hallucination

wvstolzing
06-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Why do you doubt it? It's based on the real world. There's no mention of trilobites either; but I'm sure they could make an appearance if we ever go that far back in time.

joshoolhorst
06-14-2017, 08:50 PM
]Why do you doubt it?[/B] It's based on the real world. There's no mention of trilobites either; but I'm sure they could make an appearance if we ever go that far back in time.

To be honest I don't know

HDinHB
06-14-2017, 09:22 PM
You do come up with some interesting questions.

I you are wondering if dinosaurs ever existed in the AC Universe, one of the Darwin missions in Syndicate involved retrieving a fossil, so I would say yes. Since dinosaurs died out millions of years before humans existed, don't expect to encounter living dinosaurs during any of the games. Except maybe Nessie or one of the few other survivors.

But what about TWCB? We know how and when they died out, but when did they begin? Did they exist during the time of dinosaurs? You might meet a living dinosaur while reliving the memory of a pre-prehistoric Isu ancestor.

http://i.imgur.com/4bNL8c2.png

wvstolzing
06-14-2017, 09:40 PM
But what about TWCB? We know how and when they died out, but when did they begin? Did they exist during the time of dinosaurs? You might meet a living dinosaur while reliving the memory of a pre-prehistoric Isu ancestor.

They belong in the genus Homo (looking & behaving the way they do [exactly like us], they can't really belong anywhere else); so they can't possibly be that old. Mammals showed up towards the end of the era of the dinosaurs, and were shrew-like nocturnal animals. If we ever go that far back in time, we could at most relive 'memories' of scurrying for scraps of food while avoiding predators.

Sigma 1313
06-15-2017, 12:40 AM
They belong in the genus Homo (looking & behaving the way they do [exactly like us], they can't really belong anywhere else); so they can't possibly be that old. Mammals showed up towards the end of the era of the dinosaurs, and were shrew-like nocturnal animals. If we ever go that far back in time, we could at most relive 'memories' of scurrying for scraps of food while avoiding predators.

I was thinking about that. I would think that they would likely be about 200,000 years old or so. If you look at Humans (and we just discovered a 300,000 hominid that seems like an early Sapien), assuming the out of Africa theory is true (there was another recent discover in Greece that calls this into question a bit, but wouldn't necessarily discount it), then it theoretically took us nearly 215,000-230,000 years to leave africa and actually populate the world (ignoring other hominids that left before us). From there, it took about another 60,000 to actually begin civilization due to farming, and about 5,000 more after that for any empires to actually take form. It then took another 7000 to get where we are now.

Now, let's look at the AC Universe. Humans were made around 75,000 BCE, rebelled in 74,000, and left Africa in 70,000 BCE. So that means it only took use about 5000 years to actually leave our birth place.

Isu are labeled as Homo Sapiens Divinus by abstergo (who is sequencing their Genome). If Isu are that similar to us genetically (we were created in their image and able to successfully breed with them), it would likely be a safe bet to assume it took them around the same time to get to where they were as it did with us.

So, if humans were around 75,000 BCE, it probably took around 15,000 years of civilization to reach where they were. That puts at 90,000BCE. 75,000 years of early expansion of earth puts us at 165,000BCE.

Here's the real question though. Where did the Isu come from? They made us and similar hominids through accelerated evolution. The Isu, have triple helix DNA, something that is not natural on earth, as all signs show that there's only been one evolutionary tree on earth, which is double helix. Despite this, they are classified as hominids and are similar enough to procreate with humans with double helix. Minerva does state that they are native to earth and are a product of thousands of years of evolution. The first Hominids appeared 2,000,000 years ago. It took millions of years to get to this point, and we'd still be millions from the level of the Isu. But this still doesn't explain how the Isu could be the only species that has a triple helix rather than double, with no fossil record or indication that other species have ever had this. Do you see where I'm going with this?

The Isu were genetically engineered Hominids. A precursor race forced the evolution of Isu and they took over. So who were the precursors? Aliens? other hominids? Who knows. But I bet it would be a safe bet to assume that they were like humans. Created to be subservient, rebelled, war, catastrophe, build of civilization, and creation of subservient species. And what are humans currently doing in AC? Working on creating a species by sequencing it? Wouldn't the next step be to make a new species?

VestigialLlama4
06-15-2017, 02:10 AM
Back when the Lore was consistent, it was established that the First Civilization, Those Who Came Before are products of Natural Selection.

i.e. they evolved from Apes but unlike Real History, they became Godlike superior beings and created Homo Sapiens as a Slave Species.

So yes dinosaurs did exist in the AC-verse but they did so in an age long...long...long before the series began. Before the evolution of primates.

It wouldn't make any damn difference whatsoever.

wvstolzing
06-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Here's the real question though. Where did the Isu come from? They made us and similar hominids through accelerated evolution. The Isu, have triple helix DNA, something that is not natural on earth, as all signs show that there's only been one evolutionary tree on earth, which is double helix. Despite this, they are classified as hominids and are similar enough to procreate with humans with double helix. Minerva does state that they are native to earth and are a product of thousands of years of evolution. The first Hominids appeared 2,000,000 years ago. It took millions of years to get to this point, and we'd still be millions from the level of the Isu. But this still doesn't explain how the Isu could be the only species that has a triple helix rather than double, with no fossil record or indication that other species have ever had this. Do you see where I'm going with this?

The Isu were genetically engineered Hominids. A precursor race forced the evolution of Isu and they took over. So who were the precursors? Aliens? other hominids? Who knows. But I bet it would be a safe bet to assume that they were like humans. Created to be subservient, rebelled, war, catastrophe, build of civilization, and creation of subservient species. And what are humans currently doing in AC? Working on creating a species by sequencing it? Wouldn't the next step be to make a new species?

That's the real question indeed; however, I don't think there's anything more behind the 'triple helix' -- I think that really should be ascribed to the ignorance of the writers. Such aberrations do come up in games writing; compare the bit in Mass Effect 3 about 'synthesizing' organic DNA with robot DNA to produce ...... glowy green organics that ..... ugh.

I think writers are led to such aberrations, because the popular conception of the DNA is something like "formula/blueprint that precisely spells out the WHATNESS/ESSENCE of a living being". AC adds a fantastical twist to this: The 'whatness' of anything must involve its complete history as well (e.g., I am the exact being that I am, given everthing that has happened to me); so this formula must involve full-motion recordings of the life stories of all its contributors.

Even if all its weird presuppositions were correct, that idea would still fail, since the # of contributors to one's DNA (that is, one's ancestors) grows exponentially (2 to the power of number of generations removed); so, roughly, from a century ago, a person has 16 ancestors (parents of great-grandparents) -- from 2 centuries ago, 128 -- from 3 centuries ago, 1024 ... and the numbers are getting out of hand already. Do all of these contribute full-motion recordings? Some of them? Which ones?

The DNA is nothing like a spelling out of something's unique 'whatness', however; it's a collection of tiny little building plans for proteins that are shared across living beings -- in various species, they find different expressions, resulting, rougly, in body parts with different functions. Gene A that contributes to the shape of a fly's somethingorother gets applied a different number of times, to result in a human being's somethingelseorother, and so on. You could say that a system of recipes, and recipes to apply recipes could be considered the 'essence' of a living being -- but then we'd be changing the meanings of our terms. Essence understood as 'recipes and instructions for their application' isn't the same thing as a complete snapshot of all the properties of that thing.

So it simply doesn't make sense that the DNA should contain narratives. Triple-helix DNA can't exist, and it can't be combined with double-helix DNA. The historical/modern day portions in AC should've had something else bridging them. We can kind of suspend our disbelief in that fantastical conception of 'genetic memories', because we're kind of aware of the possibility, at least, of such an alternative (perhaps the modern day heroes are simply researching the life of an illustrious ancestor like archeologists). So we excuse the aberrations and move on with the adventure.

I-Like-Pie45
06-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Juno probably just made and put their bones in the ground to mess with the paleontologists as one of her many petty evil schemes.

Locopells
06-15-2017, 05:50 PM
What is she, Slartibartfast?!