PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Resident Evil 2 - striking similarities, different reactions

CulturalLemur
06-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Right off the bat I would like to say that this topic is by no means an attempt to change the minds of those that found yesterday's reannouncement of Beyond Good & Evil 2 disappointing, infuriating or downright devastating - we are all entitled to our opinions after all. Also, before I start comparing the games I would like to say that I'm not going to outright deny that all the vast differences between the development cycles and backgrounds of BG&E2 and RE2 don't exist. There's no denying that these differences justify all these polarizing reactions. With that said, let's quickly take a look at the "striking similarities" between these two games.

First of all, both games sport a sexy "2" in their titles, while also restricting the ties with their predecessors to some very specific... women. We've only seen a small glimpse of BG&E2 though, so keep that in mind.

In BG&E2, just like in RE2, devs decided to introduce a brand new cast of characters instead of reintroducing those from the last game. In the case of RE Chris, Jill, Barry and Wesker were replaced in RE2 by Leon, Claire, Sherry and Birkin. What's special about Claire though is that she's related to Chris and as a result she provides the sense of familiarity and serves as a link between two games. Now let's take a look at BG&E. In the original game we had Jade, Pey'J, Double H and General Kehck. In BG&E2 we'll have Shani, Dakini, Knox and Zhou Yuzhu. Can you see the pattern? I think we can all agree that Dakini is going to be Jade's mother and so she will serve a familiar link between 2003 game and the second one.

And this is where I want to ask this question - if you put aside all the years of waiting and "cliffhangers" (I personally share a very unpopular opinion that all things considered BG&E is a complete experience BTW) what difference is there really between these two sets of games? I don't recall people outright refusing to play the next RE game or saying that they completely lost their interest in it just because Jill wasn't in it ... granted, she was unlucky enough to receive some of the worst dialogue ever in a video game, but still, that was more or less the exact same situation. Hell, RE2 is considered one of the best games in the franchise by many. Hell 2x, the fact that BG&E2 is a prequel instead of a sequel works in its favor way more that being a sequel works in the favor of RE2 if you consider that "introducing new characters" thing. As of right now BG&E2 also seems to have the exact same gameplay as it's predecessor, just like RE2. So this situation where I see A LOT of people everywhere bashing the crap out of BG&E2 right now mainly because of the new cast while not knowing or not remembering about RE2 is just baffling to me.

Hopefully you found these thoughts of mine worth your time!

Djungelurban
06-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Gotta say that as an example this falls extremely flat. RE1 and RE2 are two event driven games released 2 years apart, in the same genre, built on the same engine, mechanically identical, the second game is a logical progression of a first game that was resolved at the end (having a new cast makes perfect sense given the premise since having the same people being involved in more zombie hijinx is logically unlikely). Actually having a character in the second game that's related to one in the first is if anything a stretch but it's an acceptable one.
BG&E and BG&E2 are two character driven games released atleast 15 years apart, in different genres, not only not sharing engines but being separated by a whole console generation, seemingly very mechanically different, the second being a very jarring progression (regression?) of the first game which ended on a mission statement on continuing to fight and even a literal cliffhanger.
I'm not saying comparing Resident Evil and Beyond Good & Evil is the worst comparison you could have made, but off the top of my head I can't of many worse ones... The only they have in common really is that in both cases all games feature a unique cast.
There are games that could have worked better though as a comparison. A couple of examples would be Jak 2, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, Shadowrun for 360 etc. None of them are perfect examples since they all retained more of what had been established in previous games that what BG&E2 seem to do. As far as jarring shifts BG&E2 is rather rare. And RE2 is absolutely not a comparable example. It's quite frankly incomprehensible that you think so.

CulturalLemur
06-13-2017, 04:38 PM
I thought I clearly emphasized the fact that I am aware of a vastly different backgrounds these series/games have as I'm making this comparison ... didn't I? :'(