PDA

View Full Version : The profanity in the trailer

stevelabny
06-13-2017, 01:35 AM
Seriously?
That was the most immature display Ive seen of unnecessary and unispired vulgarity I've seen in a long time.
When even the posters on 4chan are complaining that there's too much vulgarity, you might have done something wrong.

Vulgarity doesn't make ANY game cool. But there's some franchises where it may be tolerable.
The first BGaE was a very family friendly game.
You want to make the story or art style more "mature", fine, go ahead. But there is nothing mature about this nonsense.

swifterik
06-13-2017, 06:38 AM
They said the f word bunch of times. Is that what you're on about? It needn't be to make the game more "mature", maybe the creators just wanted to have more writing freedom. I'm sure even in the worst case you won't hear more f**ks than you would in any GTA game.

river_zora
06-13-2017, 07:33 AM
BG&E: Hehe, Jade said fart.

BG&E2: **** YOU MOTHER****ERS RIGHT IN THE ****

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 08:36 AM
I loved every part of it! You have to keep in mind that this game is Ancel's original vision for BG&E, and Ancel is the gaming GOD, so when there is too much swearing in the game, it's not too much, it's the right amount! :D BANG BANG MOTHER****ERS :D :D :D

SirLegar
06-13-2017, 09:58 AM
well, i also think there is too much swearing.. Im not offended or something :D But bad language doesnt fit the BG&E we know and love.

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Don't compare it to the original, Ancel said from the start the original is not the game he wanted to make, it was just 10% of what he had in mind.. Be patient people, we only have one freakin trailer! Don't start judging the game just yet :)

G.A.Pster
06-13-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm fine with swearing, but with BG&E2 it just seems forced and like Ubi is trying to make it more hip and edgie to appeal to "joe average gamer."
It just seems like a uncool kid trying to be cool by swearing.

But if it's truly Ancel's choice I'm fine with it. :cool:

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 12:45 PM
I've said it before, I do not think they are trying to be edgy with the swearing, to me it shows they are just having a lot of fun with it. Its a symbol not that the game has 'matured' but that it has 'expanded'. We are starting to see a fully fledged universe, more character development, more world building.

I don't want to make this comparison again, but look at The Precursor Legacy and look at Jak 2. Nuff said, I think.

I am 99% sure Ubisoft never come up to Michel and told him he has to make swearing, gunslinging monkeys, that is 100% Michel, just look at him, you can tell he's a cheeky bastard himself. I love him.

I laughed when Knox first swore, and every subsequent time, because 1. It was the combination of all this 15 year old pent up hunger and melancholy for a new BGE, all finally released by a single 'What! What! That's swiss ****ING chocolate!' (I did some sort of strange laugh-cry, it was a weird feeling) and 2. it's just the juxtaposition of these talking animals who happen to be potty mouths set against a backdrop of dystopian underbellys and quirky funky music. It's hilarious, it's charming, it's BGE.

I agree with DiDo,

bang bang mother****ers.

Di_avo
06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Definately just let the creators have complete artistic licence here to breathe life into a world teeming with substance, vision and character.

thank you BG&E2 for being alive. we welcome you

gorkslasher
06-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Heck, it depicts what clearly is a rough kind of crowd. Underworld, low lifes etc. I think the level of profanity is appropriate for what is being displayed. This isn't a scene in sunday school after all. For people who cannot deal with profanity there are games like Sims or Hello Kitty Island Adventures. I'd look there for comfort. Frankly I am way more concerned about realistic violence in games (ala CoD shooting real people with real blood) than I am about a barrage of f-bombs. An f-bomb has never killed anybody, even if they have the most sensitive of sentiments.

Atlantis2409
06-13-2017, 03:15 PM
I understand for some people that the profanity seems a bit of heavy side but a couple of things to support it.

- In previous discussions with Ancel about the first BG&E, Ancel has said that he has/had this large idea than what we were being shown and I personally believe that perhaps the first game was toned down a bit (we can't know). Films do it all the time to meet rating criteria, why not the same for games as well?

- The original audience has grown up a lot. If this was a reboot I could see how they might be cutting off a big chunk of potential players by making it a mature game. That being said, there is some assumption that the inclusion of swearing somehow means there will be a lack of character and story depth, losing some of that empathy players got from the first game.

- Finally, on a personal note, for me the monkey character really was refreshing (profanity and all). There tends to have been this almost stereotypical standard in the past few years where games that include seemingly British characters make them 'proper'. They can come across posh, a bit upper class or pompous. Alternatively they can just sound outright comical when they try to go the other way. This character hits a spot that is rarely reflected in games outside of perhaps Call of Duty where there is a British character, that for many people, is actually somebody they feel they can relate to.

The phrases and the way profanity was incorporated in to them felt natural for the kinds of characters that were being shown and interacting. I'm British myself and the feel of the way the monkey character spoke felt 'natural'.

As a side note, a character like Tracer in Overwatch is (for quite a few British people) an example of how to portray an accent/dialect poorly.

James45_1978
06-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Totally agree, BGE doesn't need to be made gritty, this isn't Batman. The original game (which started off full of orphans and talking animals) is what was released, what people played and what people fell head over heels for. I don't buy that Ancel's original vision was more realistic, if that's what swearing implies. The original was perfect both in its unique tone and involving setting. It was never supposed to have a f-bomb laden script to rival Die Hard. Double H would not approve.

Also, 1 post in 9 years!!

limeboy9
06-13-2017, 07:30 PM
The first game was located on a peaceful planet where people were clueless about what was going on with their government. It makes sense for people on other planets that we know nothing about to have completely different manerisms. Therefore I think you can't make the argument that it's out of character for the gameworld.

You can however make the point that it's none of your interest to have swearing in the games you play. That's totally up to you. I'm an adult who has no problem with profanity in any form of media besides media marketed towards children.

Besides, he reason why there's no swearing in BG&E1 maybe is because they were limited to a T-rating for the sake of marketing.

feckyerlife
06-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Its funny to me that people are complaining about how a space pirate and a mob boss are talking to each other, like they wouldn't speak to each other like that in real life. Plus from the vibe of the other characters, the monkey seems like the real profane one compared to the other main characters. He definitely strikes me as the comedic break of the game.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-13-2017, 08:59 PM
He definitely strikes me as the comedic break of the game.

Yes. It's a classic in narrative design, for example, Trevor in GTA 5 is more comic that the 2 other main charcaters.

emirparkreiner7
06-13-2017, 11:13 PM
I mean Logan was cool, right?

Maxildan-Ubi
06-14-2017, 01:43 AM
Ho my little poney... You are shocked ! Tsss and I guess you love Samuel Lee Jackson and tarantino movies... Get the **** out of here and let this team create a great game with great characters. Jade and pey'j are BGE1, 15 years ago on PS2 with mostly children playing it, let's discover BGE2, 15 years later in a world where adults play games. Dont talk just on a trailer !

<3 MOTHER****ING SON OF A ***** ! ;)

G.A.Pster
06-14-2017, 05:03 AM
My concern isn't that there's swearing, but that it was forced by Ubisoft onto Ancel to make it seem more mature and not a "kids games".

It just seems like a stretch from the first game where not even the bad guys had guns, and there was no swearing at all.
It could have been more violent and had minor swearing and still have received a T rating, this leads me to believe no swearing and low violence it was the way Ancel wanted it to be.

Jenadam
06-14-2017, 08:02 AM
I really liked Knox with all his swearing, the environment they seem to evolve in looks pretty authoritarian and thus is a really good place to develop that punk personnality ! But later during the trailer you can clearly find that enchanting and uplifting atmosphere especially at the end with the "Future lies beyond" line and the few piano keys from the original soundtrack. I think it's gonna be a very intersting mix just giving the two different facets of the universe shown in the trailer.

DiDoFRGT10
06-14-2017, 08:11 AM
This is Ancel's comment regarding this issue in his Instagram account: "Hi Yvo . Thx for your comment . This way of talking is just one part of the world . You will discover many different characters with their own personality and way to express themselves . Dakini , the pirat leader at the end of the trailer have a very different way to express herself . Diversity is key for Bg&e . ������" Like I said before, the man knows what he's doing, and we only got one trailer! Wait before you go screaming around people :D

link to the post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVQTegqgkFK/?taken-by=michelancel

G.A.Pster
06-14-2017, 09:18 AM
This is Ancel's comment regarding this issue in his Instagram account: "Hi Yvo . Thx for your comment . This way of talking is just one part of the world . You will discover many different characters with their own personality and way to express themselves . Dakini , the pirat leader at the end of the trailer have a very different way to express herself . Diversity is key for Bg&e . ������" Like I said before, the man knows what he's doing, and we only got one trailer! Wait before you go screaming around people :D

I forgot about his instagram account, him saying that is good enough for me.

James45_1978
06-14-2017, 09:56 AM
how a space pirate and a mob boss are talking to each other, like they wouldn't speak to each other like that in real life.

The pig and the monkey from a different planet would speak to each other like that in 'real life'? What's BGE universe got to do with real life.

Ho my little poney... You are shocked ! Tsss and I guess you love Samuel Lee Jackson and tarantino movies... Get the **** out of here and let this team create a great game with great characters. Jade and pey'j are BGE1, 15 years ago on PS2 with mostly children playing it, let's discover BGE2, 15 years later in a world where adults play games. Dont talk just on a trailer !

If you equate being an adult with your knowledge of swear words I'd suggest you need to grow up, or at least extend your vocabulary. Tarantino deals with vaguely realistic characters, gangsters etc we're talking about a lush, rich, wonderfully daft space opera with anthropomorphic animal characters thrown in. How is it in anyway a logical evolution of the story to turn it into a Tarantino movie?! Also, wash you mouth out...

My concern isn't that there's swearing, but that it was forced by Ubisoft onto Ancel to make it seem more mature and not a "kids games".

It just seems like a stretch from the first game where not even the bad guys had guns, and there was no swearing at all.
It could have been more violent and had minor swearing and still have received a T rating, this leads me to believe no swearing and low violence it was the way Ancel wanted it to be.

BINGO!

James45_1978
06-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Just had a reply from Michel himself on the Instagram post (which I'm geeking out about a little), apparently yesterday he had a conversation with Tim 'Full Throttle' Schaffer about how to implement a settings option to bleep out the swears if desired, as appeared in Tim's Brutal Legend.

stevelabny
06-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Just had a reply from Michel himself on the Instagram post (which I'm geeking out about a little), apparently yesterday he had a conversation with Tim 'Full Throttle' Schaffer about how to implement a settings option to bleep out the swears if desired, as appeared in Tim's Brutal Legend.

For me, its not about the words themselves. I'm a grown man, gamer and sports fan and arguer. I don't have kids. My gf is sensistive to it, but I'm not with her 24/7. I don't need the words beeped for my delicate sensibilities. The only place I even think beeping works over cursing is South Park and the random late night "unnecessary censorship" skits. What does bother me is when profanity is used as a crutch or as a terrible way to make things "mature", "gritty" or "real" . I curse sometimes. For emphasis. For comedy. Out of anger. It works better when its unexpected or extreme. Nobody I know in "real life" curses like the characters on Deadwood or in this trailer. Its TERRIBLE and LAZY writing.

As for "its just the monkey don't panic. diversity" that's now how trailers work. Anyone here should know that. And HE should know that. The trailer is how you give people an impression of your game. If you lead with a constantly-cursing monkey, that's what people are going to take from it. The trailer was supposed to create HYPE and instead they got some lowest common denominator applause and turned off 75% of the fans of the original game. That makes it a bad trailer.

Does bad trailer = bad game? Of course not. But right now , that's all I have to go on. So right now, my interest has LOWERED.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-14-2017, 08:12 PM
The trailer was supposed to create HYPE and instead they got some lowest common denominator applause and turned off 75% of the fans of the original game. That makes it a bad trailer.

I think you are a bit over-exagerating.

And btw people that say "this number of people isn't OK with that" have the worst argument. How can you know ?
In what right do you talk for the rest of the community ?

I think you should calm down :D
My experience of moderator for Ubisoft has learned me a lot of things ... including recognizing bad arguments ;)

I understand that the trailer may not satisfy everyone, it will never.
You can have this point of vue, you can keep it, but you only have the right to talk about your opinion, not others, they can simply come and share it if they want ;)

RoninHex
06-14-2017, 09:45 PM

you won me!!! i was about posting this, i dont have a problem with the searing wasnt forced, was odd becaouse we arent used to hear it on games, alse we have to let ancel and his team create the world they wanted to make 14 years ago, some one that stood in front of that crowd and almost breake in tears speak of some one that truly loves his creation.
p.d. sorry for bad english

RoninHex
06-14-2017, 09:56 PM
As for "its just the monkey don't panic. diversity" that's now how trailers work. Anyone here should know that. And HE should know that. The trailer is how you give people an impression of your game. If you lead with a constantly-cursing monkey, that's what people are going to take from it. The trailer was supposed to create HYPE and instead they got some lowest common denominator applause and turned off 75% of the fans of the original game. That makes it a bad trailer.

Does bad trailer = bad game? Of course not. But right now , that's all I have to go on. So right now, my interest has LOWERED.

we also have the rush of the chase, that feel so like bge, the music was so similar gave me the same feeling when the cops, pirates, or be in a race in bge, i just want to jump into that universe and star exploring, know more about the game we all love, and for the searing part, i do know a lot of people that talk like that, maybe truly depends of the context the characters are, this looks like rough world.

LyFTiD4LyFe
06-15-2017, 03:26 AM
I can't believe the cussing is such a big issue for people. The cinematic's a natural evolution of the original. It feels right. Art design's the same.

I love Knox as is. People should quit being so sensitive.

SLAPAPOW
06-15-2017, 03:29 AM
Gamers and the game industry have matured. The writers can throw in some profanity if they want to.

I LOVED the trailer myself.

hrabik88
06-15-2017, 10:05 AM
I can't believe the cussing is such a big issue for people. The cinematic's a natural evolution of the original. It feels right. Art design's the same.

I love Knox as is. People should quit being so sensitive.

As for the swearing - since it has the BGE name in it - it does not feel right, it does not fit the charm of it, and was the main reason people were confused whether it is actually a BGE game or not, during the reveal.

Arguments about it becoming more mature are ridiculous - the way the showed it in the trailer was super immature. Swearing can be good, but it has to be done with taste, this one though felt as you would hear a bunch of teenagers thinking that they are all grownups by talking this way. Made my ears hurt.

Really hope that this lame monkey will be the only one behaving like that, and we will be able to avoid interacting with it.

Scraps007
06-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Personally I am fine with it though I definitely wince here and there haha because I'm not used to hearing it so regularly in a short period of time.

Just remember this is a diverse world, many different types of peoples in different types of cultures. What may not appeal to one may be entirely the norm for others. Our behavior in the western world may be offensive in terms of the excesses to these characters for example.

I just say, wait and see as well as watch. Of course providing feedback will be important as the devs seem to be focusing on that at the moment.

Igl85
06-15-2017, 10:24 AM
The swearing in the game doesnt bother me. The amount of f*** given :D by Knox is most likely character centric. There will probably be some other characters that swear occasionally as well, but not like Knox.

Legion-495
06-15-2017, 10:25 AM
First of I'm fine with the Trailer.
I understand some are a bit pissed because of dat damn swear words.
However this does not show anything in the game and there could be that one character Knox in that very case that makes up this whole thing with swear words and thats probably it. Chances are your character actually functions as the opposite to that.

Despite a lot hating it there are probably a equal number of others liking it. Either way someone is always annoyed.

James45_1978
06-15-2017, 04:10 PM
I can't understand how people could be charmed by the relatively innocent BGE universe and then see the BGE2 trailer and think, "**** yeh, swearing monkeys are what this needed!"

SuperBiscotCOT
06-15-2017, 04:37 PM
I can't understand how people could be charmed by the relatively innocent BGE universe and then see the BGE2 trailer and think, "**** yeh, swearing monkeys are what this needed!"

See ? There is the difference.
I can understand why people have a problem with it.

I don't give much importance to this detail. But I know that other people do and I accept what they are thinking, I don't try to impose my vision of things.
To me everyone think the way he wants to.

But I also feel like this is too much importance for a detail like this one.
You waited 15 years to complain ? No! so enjoy it ! :D
It won't be the perfect game. No game is perfect for everyone but nothing push the character you will play to have this behavior. And I'm sure that we will find some poetry in this game.

bl4ckgriffin
06-15-2017, 08:36 PM
This game wants to touch upon mature and serious themes like slavery, mafia, hybrids made for humans personal gain, pirates and so on, why do some people expect these to be treated in a childish manner? I have no problem with mature content.
i would be hugely disapointed if it takes the bioware hallmark of romances and sexual orientations. Anything else is ok by me

CulturalLemur
06-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Do some of you guys really think that what you saw in the trailer was "the most immature display of vulgarity"? No way. Imagine Dakini inserting the M-Disk or whatever at the end and instead of what she ended up saying going: "F**king Moksha! Just as f**king Yama f**king described it! True f**king freedom lies beyond! F**K!"

The fact that a space pirate like Knox and a crime boss like Zhou Yuzhu swear a lot is perfectly authentic.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-16-2017, 12:50 PM
"F**king Moksha! Just as f**king Yama f**king described it! True f**king freedom lies beyond! F**K!"

"Beyond good F**K! and evil" ;)