PDA

View Full Version : Easter Egg Hunt

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 12:09 AM
According to the BGE2 Blog, there are a couple references to the original Beyond Good and Evil throughout the announcement trailer, can anyone spot any?

http://bgegame.com/2017/06/09/beyond-good-evil-easter-eggs-anyone/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L449s9bVdeM&ab_channel=Ubisoft

EDIT:

Complete List of Easter Eggs, References and Notable Moments found so far-

0:05- Poster of a piglet-hybrid (baby Pey'J?) on the right, similar to the one in the concept art we saw not too long ago.
0:05- 'Montpellier' sign light blink so we can read 'Tellier', colleague of Michel Ancel's.
0:12- New character introduced, Zhou Youzu. 'Hybrid pig, pretentious collector and ruthless crime boss'.
0:18- New character introduced, Knox. 'Punk-*** hybrid monkey who is always looking for trouble'.
0:18- Knox wears a green headband, reference to Jade?
0:36- "Pey'J-ee(?)" Name of a Pig Hybrid deity.
0:48- New character introduced, Li Dayou. 'Rejuvenated madam who runs Zhou’s backrooms'.
1:06- Advertisement for Mammago Garage
1:08- Jetpack. Reminiscent of Pey'J's jetboots.
1:26- Starkos Ad
1:27- New character introduced, Shani. 'Badass biker and ingenious mechanic of Somalian ancestry'.
1:27- 'Shani' name reminiscent of 'Shaun', the energy/entity related to Jade in Beyond Good & Evil.
1:27- Ad for a death match between a Rhino and Hippo hybrid named Capo and Razer.
1:27- The ad indicates game takes place in 2380, 55 years before the events of Beyond Good & Evil.
1:31- 'Hybrid Power' poster in the bottom right.
1:33- Statue of Ganesh with multiple arms cradling a light, reminiscent of Domz Priest statue.
1:34- Clear look of the city of Ganesha.
2:07- Radio Cheeta.
2:15- Wilhelm Scream
2:26- Escape scene reminiscent of 2009 leaked gameplay.
2:29- Environment reminiscent of 2008 Teaser.
2:47- The Gada, the Space Monkey spaceship.
2:51- Space Monkey Logo, vaguely reminiscent of Alpha Sections logo.
2:51- Space Monkey Logo has two kanjis, left one is 'Brave' and the right one is 'Love'.
2:55- Pearl on the table. "Bueno Yade."
2:55- Possibly a Dai-Jo staff on a stand near Dakini. May just be a Katana or another weapon.
2:58- Mammago Rhino with a BARRANCO D-53 EQUIPPED WITH CUTTING HAMMER!
2:58- Shark Hybrid.
2:58- A Box of K-Bups, completely restores your energy.
2:58- New character introduced, Dakini. 'Mysterious Captain of the Gada…'
3:03- M-Disk, close up of text, unconfirmed, possibly Hyllis or System 3/4/T(?).
3:08- Dakini says 'Moksha'... possibly referencing the space artifact. Moksha could refer to the Buddhist concept of enlightenment, 'True Freedom'.
3:10- "Just as Yama(?) described it" Who or what is Yama? New character? Yama could also reference the Hindu God of Death.
3:14 - Green eyes, call back to Jade. Jade's mother?
3:14- "True freedom lies Beyond" reference to the title.
3:16- Original BGE theme.

Thank you to everybody who contributed and has been contributing to this list, please keep searching... for the truth!

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 12:17 AM
0:05- Spotted a poster of a piglet-hybrid similar to the one in the concept art we saw not too long ago.
0:36- "Pey'J-ie" ?
1:06- Advertisement for Mammago Garage
2:15- Wilhelm Scream
2:58 - Mammago Rhino with a BARRANCO D-53 EQUIPPED WITH CUTTING HAMMER!
3:14 - Green eyes, call back to Jade. Jade's mother?
3:16- Original BGE theme.

What I've caught so far, let us know if you guys see anything.

guest-Lp9GiL0C
06-13-2017, 12:35 AM
at 2:58, there's also K-bups

Jagerbomber9000
06-13-2017, 05:13 AM
0:06 - Baby Pey'j artwork on the right, that we haven't seen I don't think but it very much resembles the others.
0:10 - was curious if the wrecked car/cart might've been the one in the original trailer, but it definitely is not.
1:09 - Mammago poster
1:33 - Poster on the right? but I can't tell what it is.
They're stealing an m-disk (though it has a casing like UMD disks lol - didn't have that in the original)
1:56 - devil character hologram?
2:07 - Radio Cheeta? No idea what that is.
2:29 - Hologram of k-bups? Can't really tell, but they're pointy here instead of round.
3:00 - Mammago Rhino (holding "The" wrench) and Shark, and actual box of k-bups
3:03 - Took me a while because of so much motion blur, but M-Disk says "(?) hyllis" on it - which ends up being a map.
3:10 - The dead guy guy represents danger, as stated by Ancel in the interview video.
3:14 - Possible space whale next to ship?

I wish I could translate the various text and signs throughout.

That's clearly Jade's mother. Ancel says "Pey'j" is a common religious name in this universe, I think either given to or taken by Pey'j, also a website screenshot says that the black lady is Shani. (Was it not spelled Shauni in the first game?) Anyways, I bet Jade knew Shani after this story. I'm almost partially even expecting them to put a version of the original teaser trailer at the end of the credits.

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Damn people! You found them all! :D

SuperBiscotCOT
06-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Wow good eyes and ears guys ! :o

I think I came here too late :D

G.A.Pster
06-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Wow you guys are a lot more observant than me, that's awesome they put so many easter eggs into it!

IRISNetwork
06-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Damn people! You found them all! :D

Not yet ;)

Starkos advertisement seen for a SPLIT second at 1:26

https://imgur.com/9dJp1GR

And a Pearl at 2:55!! And is that a Dai-Jo staff near Dakini I see?

IRISNetwork
06-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Edited the OP to list everything we've found so far, if it looks like I've missed anything out, or people still have more to contribute, let me know!

ElPrimordial
06-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Edited the OP to list everything we've found so far, if it looks like I've missed anything out, or people still have more to contribute, let me know!

I found this very interesting piece of information:
https://www.reddit.com/r/beyondgoodandevil/comments/6hfc15/i_think_its_safe_to_assume_that_michel_ancel_is_a/

And more for reddit (although many things are already pointed here there is new info, especially concerning to chinese writings and hindu stuff in the trailer):
https://www.reddit.com/r/beyondgoodandevil/comments/6gynyr/i_believe_this_might_be_a_more_or_less_exhaustive/

I was going to suggest Dakini's mechanical arm but there are so many characters from animes, games, movies, literature that have one that I don't think is worth it.

CulturalLemur
06-17-2017, 11:20 AM
3:08- Dakini possibly says 'Look Sha...' talking to Shani?

Dakini says "Moksha". Check out some of the trailers with subtitles in other languages.

IRISNetwork
06-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Dakini says "Moksha". Check out some of the trailers with subtitles in other languages.

Very interesting! Thank you very much! I had assumed she was saying something in another language, but the more i convinced myself she was saying 'Look sha' the more it sounded like it :D

Will update! I wonder what Moksha is!

CulturalLemur
06-17-2017, 02:26 PM
I found this on Reddit:

Moksha (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moksha) is the goal of Hindu life. It is equivalent to Enlightenment, Nirvana (Buddhism) and Jivan Mukthi (Yoga) or "True Freedom". Moksha is the end of one's cycle of death and rebirth (and therefore of suffering), and the unification of the individual consciousness (atma) with the supreme or universal consciousness (Param-atma) also known as Brahman in Hinduism.

Yama (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama) is the god of death in Hinduism but it might be the name of a character in the game also.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Wow wow wow !
This is going too far, I'm not ready for this :o

So excitting !
That mean we may found many explanations searching through existing cultures of our time, from what they take their inspirations :D

Also is the trailer she says "As Yama described it"
Does that mean she can talk to gods ? And in this case are gods on her side from what the ton of the voice is ?

CulturalLemur
06-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Also is the trailer she says "As Yama described it"
Does that mean she can talk to gods ? And in this case are gods on her side from what the ton of the voice is ?

I'm pretty sure that Yama Dakini is talking about isn't a god.

I dunno why, but when I hear "Yama" I imagine a goat hybrid like Fehn or Oumi :P

DiDoFRGT10
06-17-2017, 03:17 PM
I found this on Reddit:

Moksha (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moksha) is the goal of Hindu life. It is equivalent to Enlightenment, Nirvana (Buddhism) and Jivan Mukthi (Yoga) or "True Freedom". Moksha is the end of one's cycle of death and rebirth (and therefore of suffering), and the unification of the individual consciousness (atma) with the supreme or universal consciousness (Param-atma) also known as Brahman in Hinduism.

Yama (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama) is the god of death in Hinduism but it might be the name of a character in the game also.

I think the reincarnation theory is getting stronger now :O

IRISNetwork
06-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Oooh man, this is really exciting stuff! I agree, I think Shauni is in some definitely connected to this :)

EDIT: Have updated list to reflect this info, thanks man!

CulturalLemur
06-17-2017, 06:06 PM
So I decided to go and see whether "Dakini" has a secret meaning, too. Here's what I found on good ol' Wikipedia.

"A ḍākinī (...) is a type of spirit in Vajrayana Buddhism. The Sanskrit term is likely related to the term for drumming, while the Tibetan term means "sky goer"(...)" Oh, that's cool! It's almost like a Skywalker! :D

"The dakini (and the daka) appeared in medieval legends in India (such as in the Bhagavata Purana, Brahma Purana, Markandeya Purana and Kathasaritsagara) as a demon in the train of Kali who feeds on human flesh. They are comparable to malevolent or vengeful female spirits, deities, imps or fairies in other cultures, such as the Persian peri."

O_O

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/e/e4/Well_that_escalated_quickly.png/revision/latest?cb=20121214210610

Kheops7
06-20-2017, 02:58 PM
So I decided to go and see whether "Dakini" has a secret meaning, too. Here's what I found on good ol' Wikipedia.

"A ḍākinī (...) is a type of spirit in Vajrayana Buddhism. The Sanskrit term is likely related to the term for drumming, while the Tibetan term means "sky goer"(...)" Oh, that's cool! It's almost like a Skywalker! :D

"The dakini (and the daka) appeared in medieval legends in India (such as in the Bhagavata Purana, Brahma Purana, Markandeya Purana and Kathasaritsagara) as a demon in the train of Kali who feeds on human flesh. They are comparable to malevolent or vengeful female spirits, deities, imps or fairies in other cultures, such as the Persian peri."

O_O

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/e/e4/Well_that_escalated_quickly.png/revision/latest?cb=20121214210610

I thought the same thing the use of religion in this game seems massive and is certainly important story wise.
In some article Michel Ancel even talk about legendary characters we know that Dakini is already one but is it just nickname for characters who may have a relation with character from the first BGE or there more at it to discover about them...

Jayhan90
06-21-2017, 08:46 PM
"...feeding on human flesh." D:

From Skywalker to cannibal, yikes! xD

As for Easter Eggs - and maybe I'm reading too much into this - but please tell me I'm not the only one who thought at 2:55 that the crew cheering at Knox and Shani was VERY reminiscent of the citizens of Hillys cheering Jade and co. after they'd seen the broadcast?

CulturalLemur
06-21-2017, 09:01 PM
As for Easter Eggs - and maybe I'm reading too much into this - but please tell me I'm not the only one who thought at 2:55 that the crew cheering at Knox and Shani was VERY reminiscent of the citizens of Hillys cheering Jade and co. after they'd seen the broadcast?

I can see this similarity, yeah, but I do think that you might be reading too much into this indeed :)

Jayhan90
06-21-2017, 09:07 PM
I can see this similarity, yeah, but I do think that you might be reading too much into this indeed :)

Hahahah I figured that much. Oh well, at least I tried. ;D

IRISNetwork
06-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Hahahah I figured that much. Oh well, at least I tried. ;D

I thought the exact same thing, very reminiscent of the og Hillys citizens, and I love it, it shows Michel has stayed true to the original art style in his own way :)