PDA

View Full Version : Reload Animations... Not A Big Fan Of

Canadian Beer42
06-12-2017, 11:45 PM
In E3, the reload animations are TOO FAST. I understand it is still in The Alpha stage, so it will probably change, but I just wanted to set my ground and say where I'm at. Far Cry was never a fast paced game, it shouldn't be, Primal I think is where it started, with the quick and short animations for looting and skinning. I like how Ubisoft is adding in new animations for reloads, and such but c'mon, do NOT make them blink of an eye fast. I hope Ubi take this into consideration, I love Far Cry, and I'd hate to see it go in this direction.

HorTyS
06-15-2017, 12:19 AM
In E3, the reload animations are TOO FAST. I understand it is still in The Alpha stage, so it will probably change, but I just wanted to set my ground and say where I'm at. Far Cry was never a fast paced game, it shouldn't be, Primal I think is where it started, with the quick and short animations for looting and skinning. I like how Ubisoft is adding in new animations for reloads, and such but c'mon, do NOT make them blink of an eye fast. I hope Ubi take this into consideration, I love Far Cry, and I'd hate to see it go in this direction.

Perhaps they already have the faster reload skill unlocked? I've watched a few vids and the speed of the reloads weren't particularly notable to me but I suppose I wasn't specifically looking at that, though now I'll pay attention to it.... My main hope with reloads (and glad that the animations are clearly new/ different than the last few games) is that buying the skill actually changes the animation rather than simply speed it up...

Fireseed
06-15-2017, 02:09 PM

I agree! And please Ubisoft, give us these inspections (idle) animations back from Far Cry 2. Thanks! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93zeW3GWvmE

HorTyS
06-16-2017, 05:06 AM
Having seen more footage and paid more attention, the reloads have seemed pretty fast. Hoping a fast reload perk was enabled for the e3 demo and that initially there will be a totally different, slower reload animation for all the weapons on display. And i'm right there with you on the idle animations. Would be cool to have those back, and also weapon inspection animations initiated by pressing reload with a fully loaded weapon, it's the little details that promote good games to great ones, and stuff like that I feel like goes a long way...

Canadian Beer42
06-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Definitely too fast!! Same for the healing animation which does not actually show the bandaging of the arm.

I don't know if they're too fast, but I don't like how you don't see the arm.

HorTyS
06-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Yeah, definitely don't want a more drawn out healing animation. Not sure I care about seeing the arm either, it actually makes more sense because when you wrap your arm you're not gonna hold your wounded arm right up to your face.... I'm still thinking the reloads on display in the e3 build are with a faster reload perk enabled....

TRASH85
06-18-2017, 04:28 AM
I saw all the E3 footage i could stand but nothing about multiplayer / map editor does this seem firmiliar to you? I did hear we got prone ( lay on ground ) can any one cofirm this ?l

HorTyS
06-18-2017, 09:07 PM
I saw all the E3 footage i could stand but nothing about multiplayer / map editor does this seem firmiliar to you? I did hear we got prone ( lay on ground ) can any one cofirm this ?l

The lack of discussion about ME/MP seems familiar, but no marketing cycle in the history of marketing cycles has come out & openly discussed all aspects of a game right out of the gate, so expecting all of that to be revealed is a mistake on your part. I can confirm that I also heard you can go prone but it has not been officially confirmed as a feature.

As for the topic at hand, that being reloads and whatnot, I can't help but believe the ones on display in the e3 demo are with a fast reload perk, because Canadian Beer42 is right, they seem pretty fast. I don't know if they seem overly fast as he is saying if the fast reload perk is indeed in effect, then the seem fine in that context, but yeah, hopefully when we start the game we have totally different and slower reload animations.

Fireseed
06-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Have just seen the self healing animation. Hoo boy, much too fast and without any details. Same with reload animations by Grace. What´s wrong with you, Ubi Montreal? Great animations was one of your biggest strentghs in Far Cry. I really hope this was just used for the E3 build. :(

Fallen-Champ
06-24-2017, 12:43 PM
I did hear we got prone ( lay on ground ) can any one confirm this ?l
Would be interested to see a link or video to this about going prone, I played the E3 Demo and also an Extended Demp at the Ubisoft lounge and there was no mention of it, Prone is a question I had asked back in March saying it was a big thing with the instincts games and would love to see it return especially when we talk about a game where we say it is realistic but then you can't snipe laid down and stealth only allows ducking slightly.

Prone would be an excellent addition but I don't see it in FC5 hope I am wrong.
https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/resource/en-us/game/far-cry/far-cry-5/dsc00253_294034.jpg

Maybe another image will come out with a better view so we can see the controls on the PS4 setup, I didn't take any notice when I was over there, wish I had looked - Larry in the picture might know, I will ask the other guys if any remember anything about going prone, no one mentioned it and it would be a big feature so I don't believe it at this point.

HorTyS
06-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Have just seen the self healing animation. Hoo boy, much too fast and without any details. Same with reload animations by Grace. What´s wrong with you, Ubi Montreal? Great animations was one of your biggest strentghs in Far Cry. I really hope this was just used for the E3 build. :(

I also noticed the strange-ness of Grace's reload animation, it didn't even look like she ejected her empty mag before putting a new one in, a pretty vital element to reloading I would say! However I don't necessarily take issue with the healing animation I've seen. I always thought it was a little goofy that Brody & Ghale held their arm right up to their face to slowly wrap it in gauze, so this quick new one is fine by me. Maybe I'll just tell myself my character was an EMT before they joined the sheriff's office, so they know how to quickly wrap a wound, haha.

Would be interested to see a link or video to this about going prone, I played the E3 Demo and also an Extended Demp at the Ubisoft lounge and there was no mention of it, Prone is a question I had asked back in March saying it was a big thing with the instincts games and would love to see it return especially when we talk about a game where we say it is realistic but then you can't snipe laid down and stealth only allows ducking slightly.

Prone would be an excellent addition but I don't see it in FC5 hope I am wrong.

So far the closest thing I can find to "confirmation" is the 2nd hand speculation from a Polygon "journalist" who says he was told it'd be in the full game. Don't know how reputable he is as a "journo", but given that it seems we're getting firing modes and enemies having a downed state and such, a small addition like going prone hardly seems out of the question.

Prone quote in this hands on impressions video (https://youtu.be/4LW4KwHjrQ0?t=2m36s)at around the 2:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/4LW4KwHjrQ0?t=2m36s

The rest of the video seems to devolve into mis-interpreted ideas that the game may feature racism as a main theme or something but I feel like that was just these "journos" not really knowing much about the game, hence my quotes anytime I refer to them as someone who should be in the know about the topic they're discussing... I sort of get the same sjw vibes from polygon as I do from the current gamespot crew, they're a bit overly-sensitive I think....

Fallen-Champ
06-25-2017, 12:15 AM
Prone quote in this hands on impressions video (https://youtu.be/4LW4KwHjrQ0?t=2m36s)at around the 2:30 mark..

Nice I really hope so it's about time that came back - really hope it's true.

HorTyS
06-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Nice I really hope so it's about time that came back - really hope it's true.

I'm not really a big advocate for prone,nothing about the way I play the game really necessitates it, but I certainly have no issue with it's inclusion either, more options are rarely a bad thing. I think FC2 was the first game to introduce the "slide to crouch" move, and I've loved it ever since. All games that feature both sprinting and crouching should have slide to crouch...

Fallen-Champ
07-03-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm not really a big advocate for prone,nothing about the way I play the game really necessitates it, but I certainly have no issue with it's inclusion either

I used it in multiplayer, it was more for game modes such as CTF / Domination type where you could crawl along the floor and get closer to the objective and surprise other players where you would get spotted much further away if crouched or stood up.

Players back then also had binoculars so could pick you up with those but luckily most like me were lazy and didn't use them:) I agree the run and slide / crouch was a nice addition when they brought it in.

Canadian Beer42
07-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Even if it was that fast for the fast reload perk then it is still way too fast.

HorTyS
07-16-2017, 09:35 PM
Even if it was that fast for the fast reload perk then it is still way too fast.

I dunno about that, I mean how slow do you want these reloads to be FFS?

Canadian Beer42
07-17-2017, 06:16 AM
I dunno about that, I mean how slow do you want these reloads to be FFS?

I can barely make out what is happening in some reloads, things are happening too fast for it to be even considered remotely realistic. The reload with the assault rifle, the mag just slides right out very quickly and the new mag appears outta nowhere to take its place.

HorTyS
07-17-2017, 10:12 AM
I can barely make out what is happening in some reloads, things are happening too fast for it to be even considered remotely realistic. The reload with the assault rifle, the mag just slides right out very quickly and the new mag appears outta nowhere to take its place.

Hrmmm.. I've gone back & rewatched some videos and it seems to me that the only thing missing is a clearer or more visible mag dump, as that does seem to happen instantaneously. Beyond that though, I think everything looks pretty clear. The magnum reload is different and it doesn't seem excessively speedy, so I like that, & the MAC11 seems fairly quick but thats fine assuming it is with the quick reloads skill... The main thing for me about reloads, because fast or not they're not really going to affect my enjoyment, but to me I just enjoy a variety of them, so I really think they should create whole new reload animations for before & after the quick reload skill (assuming it returns, which I sort of expect)

fourheadedgoat
07-18-2017, 05:15 AM
The only thing that pisses me off about reload animations; is when I can't load individual bullets for revolvers and top loading rifles. I mean..you just have to throw all your bullets away, which is immersion breaking and..just...beyond ******ed. Contrast that with reloading one bullet at-a-time whenever you can, like you could in Battlefield 1 [and the shotgun in Far Cry]; SO immersive!!

HorTyS
07-18-2017, 08:13 AM
I often think about how reloading in FPS games is one of the most over looked/ taken for granted elements in the genre. I really think there are some things that could be done there that could be quite interesting. We've discussed in these forums before a desire for "weapon check" animations initiated by pressing reload on a fully loaded weapon, so thats one thing.

I think also they could take a page out of the game "BLACK"s playbook and have separate animations for reloading depending on if you are under fire or safe from harm, with "safe" animations being more deliberate, and animations whilst under duress being more efficient and to the point. My final and most FC specific desire for reloads is that it wholly changes the reload animations when you unlock the "faster reload" skill. These things, among others, could go a long way to adding depth to the genre. Another area in need of deeper gameplay I believe would be environmental interaction....

fourheadedgoat
07-23-2017, 12:28 PM
..if you like slide-to-crouch, you're 'gonna love run-to-prone, Battlefield style:-) Hey guys, we've got a sniper here we need to retrain for CQC. Your new challenge, if you choose to accept it; is to clear an outpost using only the shotgun..and an ak-47. You're not allowed to reload the AK, if you run dry, you have to switch to the shotgun for a while-THEN you can reload. Realistic, no spam reloading. No hud and no insta-kill animations. Only glorious death awaits you.

HorTyS
07-24-2017, 08:41 PM
..if you like slide-to-crouch, you're 'gonna love run-to-prone, Battlefield style:-) Hey guys, we've got a sniper here we need to retrain for CQC. Your new challenge, if you choose to accept it; is to clear an outpost using only the shotgun..and an ak-47. You're not allowed to reload the AK, if you run dry, you have to switch to the shotgun for a while-THEN you can reload. Realistic, no spam reloading. No hud and no insta-kill animations. Only glorious death awaits you.

Actually I have no interest in going prone at all. I played black ops which had the "dolphin dive" to go prone,don't know if thats what battlefield has, but my playstyles never really incorporate the use of going prone, so I just don't care for or use it. I'ma try out this challenge you've set for me though. I've recently started the game over playing on hard with almost no HUD elements whatsoever.

It'll be hard for me not to use a takedown in a pinch, but I'll try, I'm also not keen on the idea of not even attempting to take it stealth initially, but I'll give it a whirl as I sort of like being given specific conditions in which to complete makeshift objectives like that. I'll try to record it... though anymore I'm not sure where to get my videos, the site I used to use isn't getting my clips like it used to... guess i have to figure that out as well...

Edit: Figured out how to get the vid uploaded, I guess I had changed or it did so automatically the sharing options on my console, perhaps when I got upload studio, at any rate, figured it out & got the vid online. This is a, forgive the pun, far cry from my typical playstyle, so I admit it took me a couple tries, but I cleared this one without taking much damage. Played on HARD, very minimal HUD (just the reticule) and no takedowns or explosives... I don't think I even took a single hit actually!

https://youtu.be/y2LGQndQRPI

Lemme know if something about it didn't meet the criteria of your challenge, this was fun!

And now my challenge to you (and anyone else who wishes to participate) is to take an outpost undetected without using any ballistics based weapons, or explosions, just throwing knives, the bow and/or takedowns! Post the vid here when complete!

Canadian Beer42
07-29-2017, 04:32 PM
When I think about it, I wouldn't want prone to be a thing in Far Cry either.

HorTyS
07-31-2017, 12:56 AM
When I think about it, I wouldn't want prone to be a thing in Far Cry either.

I don't mind if it's an option, I just don't see myself using it very often. Maybe if they made some of the fields have low grass where you had to belly crawl to remain undetected, but I don't snipe and unless they have situations where you have to use prone to remain undetected I just wouldn't use it much but I don't actively want them not to make it an option. Having it as an option & simply not using it is perfectly fine...

fourheadedgoat
08-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Oi...I saw the knife!! Otherwise...good job. I should have clarified..you have to allow them to set off the alarm, so it's a true hornet's nest [I always do that-deliberately, all I ever played as a kid were SHMUPS-so I want as many enemies on-screen as possible]. Maybe make that your next challenge? It will also force you to use the utterly-brilliant cover-system, as you won't survive otherwise-unless you perhaps run like Usain Bolt-which doesn't strike me as realistic. Anyway..challenge accepted; I too like to set for myself little rules. So I will do that; pure stealth, no guns or explosives. I'd better not set off the alarm either, or I'll be playing the same mission all night!!

And yeah, prone's a staple of Battlefield. Considering Far Cry and Battlefield have been locked in an arms race for years [a large part of why both games are so-good]; I'm astounded it's taken this-long to get prone in a Far Cry game. As I say, if you like run-to-crouch; you'll adore run-to-prone...it's the same thing, only more hardcore. I also love how it completely changes your perspective. The inclusion of prone, also all but guarantees a noticable AI increase-to counter it, which is yet another good thing.

HorTyS
08-07-2017, 06:03 AM
Oi...I saw the knife!! Otherwise...good job. I should have clarified..you have to allow them to set off the alarm, so it's a true hornet's nest [I always do that-deliberately, all I ever played as a kid were SHMUPS-so I want as many enemies on-screen as possible]. Maybe make that your next challenge? It will also force you to use the utterly-brilliant cover-system, as you won't survive otherwise-unless you perhaps run like Usain Bolt-which doesn't strike me as realistic. Anyway..challenge accepted; I too like to set for myself little rules. So I will do that; pure stealth, no guns or explosives. I'd better not set off the alarm either, or I'll be playing the same mission all night!!

And yeah, prone's a staple of Battlefield. Considering Far Cry and Battlefield have been locked in an arms race for years [a large part of why both games are so-good]; I'm astounded it's taken this-long to get prone in a Far Cry game. As I say, if you like run-to-crouch; you'll adore run-to-prone...it's the same thing, only more hardcore. I also love how it completely changes your perspective. The inclusion of prone, also all but guarantees a noticable AI increase-to counter it, which is yet another good thing.

Yeah I took the guy on the hill with the knife because I didn't want to kick off the engagement at that point and needed to get by him. Still don't think I'll care much for prone, not really a feature my playstyle utilizes much, so prone & running to it I'm pretty indifferent to, don't see how it's "more hardcore" either, it's the same function just to a lower perspective. I played black ops so I'm familiar with the dolphin dive. Prone to me is a trivial feature. I like stealth but I like mobile stealth where I quickly kill as many as I can without detection, prone is just for sniping & slow belly crawls, not really something I'm anticipating I'll use very much...

fourheadedgoat
08-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Ok bud, I tried your challenge-a couple of times, but have nothing to show you. The reason why; is I'm simply not having fun...and that's why I play games with my >limited time<, to have fun. I hope that's a good enough reason for you, and we can move on to other subjects. I tried-that should be enough.

My playstyle is this; I play in the most realistic way [within reason*-again >fun<] as I can; that means combining stealth, cover, AK-47s and grenades-with no HUD. I don't spam reload [that's the single thing that pisses me off the most I think about watching other people play-as IF you'd ever do that in the field]-I don't even reload-unless it's one shell/bullet at a time; I simply switch weapons-as that seems far more believable to me, and to my mind is the entire reason for carrying a secondary. I'm carrying my body mass worth of equipment; so I don't run-I hold my ground for a while, then [if I get it right-I'll often get it wrong and just die] slip away to make another attack, guerilla-style. My enemies are important to me-they're the reason I play; so I don't 'wanna kill them quickly-I 'wanna play with them; to this end it's rare I allow myself any of the heavier weapons, and if I do al,low myself, say, an automatic grenade-launcher or.LMG; I'll quickly get bored. Again, this isn't why I play Far Cry. With the hud turned off, using the cover system especially [which currently is the best on the market-though Star Citizen will change all that-as it's another big leap forwards] and a realisticly limited loadout: Far Cry is more-believable [or can be-depending on how you play] than all the other console FPS's I can think of. This is what keeps drawing me back.

*It's obvious you're 'gonna be shot a few times, if your idea of fun-why you play FPS's [like me] is for CQC. On top of the measures taken above-everything I can do or think of to increase realism-thus immersion; I just imagine I'm not one man-but a squad: so each time I get shot-I'm basically losing a man. Which is believable, as A) I'm not a trained killer-I'm a dude playing a videogame [lol] and B) the secret to the WW2 Commandos [no different from today's commandos]; is that they put increadible preparation into the mission-which includes/ed making a miniature of the target. On top of that, attacks are usually made by large groups, typically something like 60 men, or even more. Seldom fewer. I get close; because that's standard U.S Marine doctrine [and is "fun"-in a videogame]; to get as-close-as-possible before opening fire. Possibly something to do with lessons learned from the likes of Iwo Jima-where being pinned down is a hellish situation to be in. Watching my friends-who can't use the cover system ['cause they won't even try]; also doesn't look fun-for much the same reasons. If you get pinned-down at distance; you have no freedom of manouver. If you get pinned down at point-blank range; you might take a bullet/lose a man-but you can absolutely slip away and d.e.s.t.r.o.y them.

I hope this satisfies you:-)

HorTyS
08-25-2017, 10:33 AM
I mean, I never really put a lot of pressure on any of this, I wasn't really aggressive about anything. If you weren't having fun switching up your playstyle thats fine, don't feel you need to defend that decision to me, I'm just here & just play these games for fun as well, not really a big deal to me if ya don't wanna do it...