PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good & Evil 2 has officially been re-announced. [15]

Sonicyay2
06-12-2017, 10:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L449s9bVdeM

Our 9-year long journey is finally complete.

IRISNetwork
06-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Its here

ITS ACTUALLY HERE

bitebug2003
06-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Way too much swearing and it takes place before Jade :(

Soulid_Snake
06-12-2017, 10:17 PM

Yep, really didn't like it! I understand they're trying to mature it up, but the monkey was way over excessive.

IRISNetwork
06-12-2017, 10:18 PM

I really didn't mind, to me it almost seems like Jak 2 to TPL, I was blown away.

Interesting to see how it will play out as a prequel, no Jade is a bit strange to me, we'll see what the future holds.

Soulid_Snake
06-12-2017, 10:32 PM
I really didn't mind, to me it almost seems like Jak 2 to TPL, I was blown away.

Interesting to see how it will play out as a prequel, no Jade is a bit strange to me, we'll see what the future holds.

They were rumours floating around that it is a semi reboot. According to the article, we will get disclosure to the previous game. I think they're are just throwing us off the scent by telling us it's before Jade's birth.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-new-beyond-good-evil-to-be-a-2018-semi-reboot-not-full-sequel/

IRISNetwork
06-12-2017, 10:35 PM
I hope so, I can't imagine a BGE game without Jade. My guess is that we are looking at the Iris Network on the search for whatever vague power/entity 'Shauni' is.

It would be great if the game begins like that as a way of explaining Jade's origins before moving on to her for the rest of the game.

MorganSullivan
06-12-2017, 10:46 PM
I agree, way too much swearing. I did not like that monkey at all. It felt out of place.
We waited 14 years for this. Where is the charm and innocence of the first game? Jade will not be in the game? Where is the conclusion for the cliffhanger of the first game?

As a fan of the series since the start this is not what I have hoped for. :(

IRISNetwork
06-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Aww guys it disheartens me to hear some of you didn't like it.

The longer this game aged for, the shakier an eventual announcement was going to be, would it look underwhelming? Would it look TOO different?

Personally, I think this landed and I think it landed BRILLIANTLY. Yes this introduction is a bit more 'mature', but it has the personality, it looks to have the worlds we were promised, it has a mother****ing gunslinging monkey. I'm sure the 'charm' we recognise from the first game will be there, it can all go hand in hand, don't worry, put your trust in Michel, this E3 they wanted to start with a bang.

And that's exactly what they did.

Bang bang mother****ers.

Soulid_Snake
06-12-2017, 10:56 PM
I hope so, I can't imagine a BGE game without Jade. My guess is that we are looking at the Iris Network on the search for whatever vague power/entity 'Shauni' is.

It would be great if the game begins like that as a way of explaining Jade's origins before moving on to her for the rest of the game.

Jade's way to important to be excluded, The online side is interesting me though, if done right. I don't want it to be a frantic third person shooter.

Judging by the narrative the story does seem more fleshed out.

lobasuu
06-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Hey Bitebug! I love that you are still active here!

bitebug2003
06-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Hey lobasuu - it's been a while :)

I never left - always hopeful this day would come
Our patience paid off :)

MorganSullivan
06-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Our patience paid off :)
May I ask, are you really on board with this?

KittyRino
06-12-2017, 11:16 PM
This is best thing <3 i will buy that and have alot of fun <3

IRISNetwork
06-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Agree with you on the online. The term "A seamless online playground" scares the hell out of me, but at the end of the day all we can do is wait and see what happens next.

Hopefully it's less about online 'matches' etc, but more of a optional co-op storyline. I wouldn't have minded playing from Double H's point of view whilst a friend plays Jades back in the day, lets hope its along a similar line.

jmk1999
06-12-2017, 11:29 PM
you gotta love how they totally LIED about the reveal. i left to go do some work. go figure... anyway, super stoked! love that they threw in THE SONG.

Telemanus
06-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Please don't be dissapointed yet. What I'll imagine they'll do is they show Jade's and Pey'js journey we've seen in the 2008 trailer. It might be like 90% prequel and 10% sequel to BG&E1. I think there will be certain moments that the game will switch to Jade and Pey'j in the future.

And if not, we'll get Pey'js and Jades origin story for sure. We'll learn about Jade (are there more of her kind?), and the DomZ.

bitebug2003
06-12-2017, 11:40 PM
May I ask, are you really on board with this?

Initial impressions - No. The amount of profanity was distracting me.
For now I am extremely cautious not to get over-hyped. I am disappointed this is a prequel, but time will tell. I want to see gameplay and a bit more background to these new characters.

As for the 'online experiences', BG&E did very well as a single player adventure (with a simple leaderboard - The Darkroom), so I don't find it necessary to have any kind of multiplayer.

These days it seems inevitable.

Soulid_Snake
06-12-2017, 11:46 PM
The online aspect was forced by ubisoft, if ancel had his way it probably would have been a single player game. But, it could be done well, like mini-game and races from the last game could make it work. It was good to see emotion from Ancel.

jmk1999
06-12-2017, 11:57 PM
For now I am extremely cautious not to get over-hyped. I am disappointed this is a prequel, but time will tell. I want to see gameplay and a bit more background to these new characters.

As for the 'online experiences', BG&E did very well as a single player adventure (with a simple leaderboard - The Darkroom), so I don't find it necessary to have any kind of multiplayer.

agreed. i want to remain cautiously optimistic though. i just hope the "mature" atmosphere doesn't overshadow the game itself. i'm sorta neutral about that stuff. as long as the game is solid and feels like BG&E, i'll accept it in all its glory.

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 12:12 AM
The online aspect was forced by ubisoft, if ancel had his way it probably would have been a single player game. But, it could be done well, like mini-game and races from the last game could make it work. It was good to see emotion from Ancel.

oh oh.

Hold up.

Online hovercraft races and Akuda pallet tournaments?

I would let online pass for that.

Soulid_Snake
06-13-2017, 12:22 AM
oh oh.

Hold up.

Online hovercraft races and Akuda pallet tournaments?

I would let online pass for that.

Online pass as in let it through the club? Or online pass, as in cold feet?

Ancel provides a breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwUJ468u14

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 12:32 AM
Online pass as in let it through the club? Or online pass, as in cold feet?

Ancel provides a breakdown of the trailer:

Sorry, I mean I would give it a free pass, as in, not give it too much hate.

Still worried about it though.

EDIT: Just watched the video, so much expansion of our knowledge of the BGE universe so soon, the fact that the Hybrid's were slaves created by Humans etc.

Listening to the classic BGE ost with the visuals of BGE2... I am definitely worried about multiplayer, but at this moment in time everything just seems so right.

Home sweet home.

Lyogron
06-13-2017, 12:53 AM
People have been waiting for Beyond Good & Evil 2, not some seamless online open world game with DLC and Season pass nonsense. That's the crux of the matter. I've said before that present Ubisoft could possibly be entirely unable to make a BG&E2. I have to renew that statement.

/edit December 24th, 2018:
Ubisoft is in fact unable and unwilling to make a "BG&E2" and they have proven it last week. I am horrified and disgusted at their money grabbing schemes and I hope Vivendi will make a swift end to them.

jmk1999
06-13-2017, 01:33 AM
i believe that between ACO and BG&E2, the ubi servers have taken a nosedive. i can't get on the BG&E site to do much stuff. it's slow and i can't sign up for the monkey space program thing.

Soulid_Snake
06-13-2017, 01:41 AM
Sorry, I mean I would give it a free pass, as in, not give it too much hate.

Still worried about it though.

EDIT: Just watched the video, so much expansion of our knowledge of the BGE universe so soon, the fact that the Hybrid's were slaves created by Humans etc.

Listening to the classic BGE ost with the visuals of BGE2... I am definitely worried about multiplayer, but at this moment in time everything just seems so right.

Home sweet home.

I want the core focus to be on the disclosure of the story. Ancel is at the helm so we should give online a chance. I will say this even for a cg trailer it is beautiful. The sound doesn't seem like it's done by Heral though.

QuiGonJ
06-13-2017, 03:30 AM
Hey everyone....

All these years.... I was on the verge of tears seeing it's there, but then the multiple F-bombs and lack of Jodie Forrest as Jade or the real Pey'j.... I am not sure what to think.

I know it's early, and I'm glad it's coming. I hope it works.

Daroth_343
06-13-2017, 04:10 AM
So I just watched the trailer.

I'm not really sure what to think, but it seems obvious that this isn't anything like the original game. As Ancel just said on Twitch, "it's like GTA but in space...". I can see the ambition here, and the concept of a Captain Harlock-esque space opera is certainly interesting. But how is this Beyond Good & Evil 2? The minimalist design of the original is nowhere to be found. On its own, it looks incredible, but there's no game here. Just a (probably very costly) CGI trailer, something which we've seen before from Ubisoft.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'm left with a lot of questions. It'll be years before we get to play this game, and apparently it won't even continue Jade's story. So after 14 years, whether or not we'll get a sequel to BG&E is still very uncertain. Sure, I understand that most people haven't played the game and they need to meet a new audience, but why couldn't that have been done with a sequel? My expectation is that after the trailer hype, there's going to be at least another year of waiting to see anything in terms of gameplay, given that they basically only started on the game. If we even get to play this game at all. WiLD, Ancel's other open world game, doesn't even seem to be featured at E3 and I'm starting to doubt if it'll ever be released. Honestly, I almost wish Ancel was less ambitious and just made a single-player action-adventure game like the original...

Anyway. Here's more information on the characters: http://bgegame.com/2017/06/09/meet-the-bge2-characters-from-the-e3-trailer/. Shani and Dakini seem like the more interesting characters. While Dakini looks like Jade, Shani's name (similar to "Shauni") and the fact that she's a mechanic are also reminiscent of Jade. So I imagine these two are related to her in some way.

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 05:37 AM
We've been waiting for this game for almost 15 years, and when we finally get a trailer everyone is complaining!! COMMON GUYS!!! IT'S COMING!!!!!!! GET HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuiGonJ
06-13-2017, 06:09 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/beyond-good-and-evil-2-is-like-gta-but-in-space-says-michel-ancel/

links us to the twitch stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151136534 at 28:47:00 where they talk about it more.

Oh, I know.... but we have been looking to see more about Jade and Pey'j.

goonie08
06-13-2017, 07:22 AM
I admit, I shed a tear or two at the trailer, especially when the main theme started playing as the ship was taking off. I was immediately reminded of these forums and how much time I spent here as a youngin'!

I can understand how some may have hesitation with the new direction the pre-sequel is taking, but personally, I fell in LOVE with this trailer. The swearing was off-putting at first, but after rewatching, it made sense for this cast of pirates and thieves. Despite their dirty mouths, I thought Knox and Shani were incredibly charming and fun, and I'm really digging their designs. The setting was absolutely incredible--Asian cyberpunk in space! How unique is that?!

Looking forward to seeing gameplay. While it's a huge departure from the original, I think a giant, online universe has a lot of potential for Beyond Good and Evil. :)

Eylon.
06-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Reading about Ganesha it appears that the city was founded by some colonists from Earth and, as long as I remember, Earth wasn't mentioned at all in the first game and I would have preferred that the universe of BG&E wasn't related to our planet but it's not a big deal.

Also, I think Ancel said that the humanoid animals are some sort of hybrid creation made by humans? In the first game, on Hillys, you are among theese creatures and it's normal, there are humans and there are other species. I'm not sure about this idea.

I, as many others, wanted to see what happened to that alien tumor that pey'j got but I'm really hyped for this new game :)

darknessviking
06-13-2017, 09:24 AM
i didnt like the trailer, they jokingly fire at the police, blow police ships up and then laugh about it,
it felt wrong to me im sure they are corrupt but i didnt like it at all.

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 09:28 AM
What... WHAT?!?

I'm starting to think they should have let the whole franchise die in 2003. This is literally the worst concept for Beyond Good & Evil 2 that I can think of. And I don't think there's "ambition" or a "vision" behind it. Ubisoft just wants the money of GTA or Overwatch or whatever, and they can't do it via their workhorse Assassin's Creed. They're fileting the brand in hopes of finding fans who would take anything just because it's BG&E. :(

I seriously don't think we have to worry, BGE in a way was like a GTA-esque game, open world, missions, driveable vehicles etc. They're just trying to use words that will draw in the 'outside' crowd.

I can easily see this being a 'big open world game' on the surface of it, but imagine everywhere visitable place in BGE was skinned as a separate planet, I imagine it will be not too dissimilar to that.

I'm actually scared... because i'm NOT worried, that might be setting myself up for let down, but I genuinely believe it's all going to be okay.

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 09:32 AM
The game is rated 18 on it's ubisoft page https://www.ubisoft.com/en-GB/game/beyond-good-and-evil-2/

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 09:33 AM
i didnt like the trailer, they jokingly fire at the police, blow police ships up and then laugh about it,
it felt wrong to me im sure they are corrupt but i didnt like it at all.

Let's not forget they were ordered to go after them by Zhou Yuzhu, i'm sure they are pretty corrupt.

Reading about Ganesha it appears that the city was founded by some colonists from Earth and, as long as I remember, Earth wasn't mentioned at all in the first game and I would have preferred that the universe of BG&E wasn't related to our planet but it's not a big deal.

Also, I think Ancel said that the humanoid animals are some sort of hybrid creation made by humans? In the first game, on Hillys, you are among theese creatures and it's normal, there are humans and there are other species. I'm not sure about this idea.

I think I always got the gist that Hillys was a colony in the future, otherwise they wouldn't have specified the century, which relates directly to Earth time.

I also think Hillys is a much more peaceful, tolerant community which is why it's never really brought up. The planets in System 4 however seem to have much more varied views on Hybrid's and their origins.

Asuka_Jr.
06-13-2017, 09:34 AM
When I saw the announcement notice under 'Biggest Surprises' on my Ubisoft email, my heart leap- FINALLY! Jade and Pey'j are FINALLY gonna come back! We're gonna get to investigate what the big picture was behind the Domz! And in NEXT GEN GRAPHICS!!

That trailer from the 2008 E3 was finally gonna make sense! I raced to my computer to look it up, and... ...

As someone who went through almost all of the hype-train that was No Man's Sky, was a wide-eyed child watching the original Star Wars trilogy, only to see it become the train-wreck that the 'prequel trilogy' turned out to be... And saw Assassin's Creed go from Altair... to the horror of bad programming that Unity was...

I think I can honestly say: I have NEVER been more disappointed to see the result of having a beloved game finally get a sequel. I have watched that 2008 E3 trailer I don't know how many times, and gloried in the idea that we'd finally get a modern take on those characters... Only to be given a theiving, dishonest, foul-mouthed ape and his curly-haired driver, coupled with the concept of 'it's gonna be GTA, but in space!'...

I would like to have someone explain to me just HOW THE HELL this relates to the story of an independent reporter trying to save her world from an alien invasion by digging for the truth of that invasion in relation to the supposed 'heroes' of Alpha Section?!? In exactly WHAT WAY is THIS pile of STEAMING WASTE a worthwhile sequel to the nuanced, and well thought-out plot of the original game?!?

...gah. That's it. I don't even have the energy to be any further outraged. Just when the gaming industry seemed to have reached a point where I figured the worst had already been handed out, and crap like Unity was finally starting to become the exception, rather than a standard... we are shown with great pride a bunch of rampant criminals, ripping off criminals, and being GTA in BG&E's universe...

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 09:48 AM
I've just noticed that Far Cry 5 Trailer has a BOOM BOOM MOTHER****ERS line too :D

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 09:49 AM
his curly-haired driver

Jesus.

I'm sad to see so many people not entirely happy with the announcement, because that could have been me, this announcement could have gone any number of ways, BGE2 could have turned out to be just about anything, i'm just glad it's something I was happy and hyped to see.

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Every game will have it's haters, don't think too much into it man.. I can't stop watching that freakin' trailer :D :D

EDIT: after watching the trailer for the millionth time, I've noticed that Dakini (the girl with green eyes at the end of the trailer) is wearing a Kofeyeh!! Or a Palestinian scarf!! In case you don't know about the Palestinian situation, Palestine is occupied by Israel, and the Palestinian scarf has become a symbol for RESISTANCE :D

Here is the scene I'm talking about (3:03): http://imgur.com/a/Qh0dy

And here is how the Kofeyeh looks for comparison:
https://cdn3.volusion.com/sjhtx.gvkfo/v/vspfiles/photos/Clothing_Keffiyeh-2T.jpg?1406645511

EDIT2: A dakini (Sanskrit: "sky dancer") is a Tantric priestess of ancient India who "carried the souls of the dead to the sky". This Buddhist figure is particularly upheld in Tibetan Buddhism. The dakini is a female being of generally volatile temperament, who acts as a muse for spiritual practice.

They're taking a lot from the Buddhism culture in this game :D

IRISNetwork
06-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Jesus Christ, we haven't seen the game guys, you can't boycott something you don't know anything about. We saw a great trailer, whose characters have different morals than Jade, why is that a problem? That's how real life works. Yes they are fighting corruption with violence, but ultimately as we know Jade is the one to change all that, it's called character progression, the actions of the Gada crew might somehow directly or inadvertently affect her need for the search for truth later on in her life.

You know don't know what mechanics are and aren't in the game, you guys have a right to be concerned, absolutely, but can can reserve wrathful judgement for when we see much more of the actual game?

Telemanus
06-13-2017, 01:02 PM

I, as many others, wanted to see what happened to that alien tumor that pey'j got but I'm really hyped for this new game :)

Pey'J says "sweet Jesus" sometimes in the original.

Anyway, this game is Jade's origin story right? It's about Pey'J telling Jade her origin story while they wait in the desert. Pey'J is obviously in the game as a little piglet like the concept art from last year shows us.

I'm optimistic, the trailer kinda had the atmosphere of these crazy races from BG&E1. I'm sure there are memorable characters and we'll get emotionally attached to them.

RemyPsq
06-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Hey there !

I recently created a Discord server to talk about BGE2.
If you are interested, you can join here: https://discord.gg/BaRN9YW

Djungelurban
06-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Personally, right now I'm cautious. Not cautiously optimistic, nor pessimistic, just cautious. Like many others I'm skeptical towards its tone and the scope almost seems to be a little bit too grand and as a result, kinda unfocused. The prolific appearance of guns in the trailer made it seem like the combat might have shifted towards third-person shooting instead of the largely melee based combat of the original which is a considerable negative for me personally since I strongly prefer melee combat. And the way they talked about it made it seem like online would be a central component of the game where you presumably will see and even interact other players which is literally the last thing I'd want. Right now it feels like what we're getting is an online, or atleast partially online, open world quest based third person shooter playground-esque game vaguely painted in BG&E colors instead of the story-driven charming offline single player action-adventure with melee combat and puzzles that the previous game was...

But at the same time, information is extremely scarce and vague and until we know actual detailed information about the game I'm not giving up hope. The thing about having a big open world is that it gives you options, but you don't actually have to use it more than you need. It's entirely possible they could tell a focused story within the grand universe they've created and use the rest as window dressing and sidequest dumps. Maybe some time after release they could even release a separate story campaign as DLC that picks up Jade's story that gives us the game we actually want. After all, all we need for that is one well-designed planet within the multitude that they already have, some new character art and a number of interlocking quests pushing the player forward so it should be possible. And maybe, even if the online mode is the default mode, it's entirely possible to disconnect and play through the game without having to interact or even see a single other player throughout the game (cause **** people!). Maybe the guns are there just as an option for people who like guns but it's entirely possible, or maybe even encouraged to play the game with a melee weapon. And maybe, just maybe, I can take that monkey and drop him down a ravine at the beginning of the game and then I don't have to see him anymore.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-13-2017, 08:24 PM
THANK YOU !

I have no words to describe how it was a joy for me, yesterday, when I saw this first sneak peak of the game :D

Now I want the dev team to have a complete freedom on the subject. My only non-negociable request : Make us dream when playing as much as we did during 15 years !

SuperBiscotCOT
06-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Hey there !

I recently created a Discord server to talk about BGE2.
If you are interested, you can join here: https://discord.gg/BaRN9YW

Hey I joined it, thank you for this initiative ! ;)

Epheremy
06-13-2017, 08:39 PM

A prequel was kinda inevitable. The first Beyond is unfortunately still quite unknown to the masses, and producing a sequel to a rather unknown game is risky. A prequel, on the other hand, is way safer because new players can be introduced to the Beyond Good and Evil universe without having knowledge about the first game.
Profanity shocked me at first as well, but i have faith in Michel. He will do the right thing for this franchise, i'm sure of it.

Dead-Pirate
06-13-2017, 09:15 PM
and i am here really hoping they just don't delay it more then two years, i really can't trust ubisoft enough.

DiDoFRGT10
06-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Ancel is answering my questions on Instagram :D you guys should keep an eye on his account there! When I asked him if the game will be a full on prequel or part sequel he said: "I don't want to spoil anything but you will learn many things about the roots of the original game . It's a story across generations" across generations people!! Also he posted a screenshot from in-game and it looked like fps when I asked if it is he said: "The game is 3rd person view with fps view to look around and.... take pictures !" TAKE PICTURES!!! :D :D

Dead-Pirate
06-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Ancel is answering my questions on Instagram :D you guys should keep an eye on his account there! When I asked him if the game will be a full on prequel or part sequel he said: "I don't want to spoil anything but you will learn many things about the roots of the original game . It's a story across generations" across generations people!! Also he posted a screenshot from in-game and it looked like fps when I asked if it is he said: "The game is 3rd person view with fps view to look around and.... take pictures !" TAKE PICTURES!!! :D :D

and what is his instagram account ? i just hope the game has some of the core features the first one had.

Telemanus
06-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Another great Instagram comment from Ancel:

"Hi Yvo . Thx for your comment . This way of talking (profanity) is just one part of the world . You will discover many different characters with their own personality and way to express themselves . Dakini , the pirat leader at the end of the trailer have a very different way to express herself . Diversity is key for Bg&e ."

I really can't believe all the negativity from 50% of the fanbase after one CGI trailer.

IRISNetwork
06-14-2017, 12:21 AM

Oh damn, I've been following his Instagram for a while but I feel I should probably make an account to ask him a few questions!

Another great Instagram comment from Ancel:

"Hi Yvo . Thx for your comment . This way of talking (profanity) is just one part of the world . You will discover many different characters with their own personality and way to express themselves . Dakini , the pirat leader at the end of the trailer have a very different way to express herself . Diversity is key for Bg&e ."

I really can't believe all the negativity from 50% of the fanbase after one CGI trailer.

When the game is finally released, and is a masterpeice, i'm gonna have SO many 'I told you so's to hand out :)

Asuka_Jr.
06-14-2017, 01:48 AM
When the game is finally released, and is a masterpeice<sic>, i'm gonna have SO many 'I told you so's to hand out :)

And do not misunderstand - I shall HAPPILY accept your proferred 'I told you so' with gratitude and great humility, as well as a public proclamation of my own damnfoolery for having doubted the grand masters at Ubisoft and for EVER having lacked confidence in their willingness and ability to NOT screw it up by sticking their big, fat, stupid thumbs right in the middle of a master's work.

Please understand... There are NO first impressions I WANT to be wrong about more than this. BG&E holds easily as fond a place for me as ICO (the completion of which left me feeling truly at peace - a bizarre feeling from a game), and NOTHING would make me happier than having this sequel absolutely ROCK. Well...except having it sell so well that Ubi agrees to re-making the original in next-gen graphics (like FFVII) so the series all match- but the track record for publishers NOT insisting on "making things 'better' with a 'few' changes" does not exactly inspire confidence (I'm looking RIGHT at Assassin's Creed here...)...

I'd love to be cautious. Much less cautiously optimistic, but as of now, with THIS trailer being the reveal for BG&E 2. All I can muster is resigned despair. GTA in space? BG&E? In the same sentence? (-_-)

I hope you are right, and I am totally off base, my friend. I really do...

<Edit> Forgot to mention. I have made every possible effort to support BG&E. So much so that I own the original in EVERY iteration. PS2, PS3 (HD), PS4 (HD of course), and PC. I really do love it, and hope the sequel will be a worthy followup...

<Edit 2 - thanks jmk1999 - Oops. Since I've always been a staunch Sony/PC guy, for some reason I was not aware of the Microsoft/Nintendo releases, so do not have any of those, just the ones listed... sheesh.

jmk1999
06-14-2017, 06:17 AM
<Edit> Forgot to mention. I have made every possible effort to support BG&E. So much so that I own the original in EVERY iteration. PS2, PS3 (HD), PS4 (HD of course), and PC. I really do love it, and hope the sequel will be a worthy followup...
i should add that it was better on xbox. it didn't have the bugs that the ps2 version had (that was also translated to the ps3 version). however, i've heard that the gamecube was the best version of it on consoles. i can't vouch for that though, since i didn't have a gamecube.

nice discovery, man! :cool:

DiDoFRGT10
06-14-2017, 06:24 AM
Here you go: https://www.instagram.com/michelancel/

@jmk1999: Man I feel like a kid again from the excitement http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/biggrin.png http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/biggrin.png http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/biggrin.png

Asuka_Jr.
06-14-2017, 08:41 AM
i should add that it was better on xbox. it didn't have the bugs that the ps2 version had (that was also translated to the ps3 version). however, i've heard that the gamecube was the best version of it on consoles. i can't vouch for that though, since i didn't have a gamecube.

There were bugs in the Sony versions? Hmm... I'll have to look into that one. I never noticed. I have a couple 'cubes, but got them VERY late, and sadly discovered how hard it is to get games for them. I have Pikmin (which was why I got them) but not very many others...

<checks on GC disks> GAH! You can still get BG&E for GC, but up to $100?? I don't think so, besides at this late date, it wouldn't support anything. Sheesh.

DiDoFRGT10
06-14-2017, 10:11 AM
My new desktop wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/NHIIDUw.jpg :D :D :D Haven't changed in a long time :D

Soulid_Snake
06-14-2017, 04:59 PM
DiDoFRGT10 are you Michel Ancel, lol? You can get him to reply on Insta.

Ancel will make Beyond Good & Evil, not GTA. If Ancel is inspired by GTA's narrative quality, non linear style, scale and and seamless world, then it wouldn't be a bad thing. Having said that I want him to do his own thing. The story can be completed on your own or with other players, hopefully it won't be online only. Something tell's me you'll be able to control Pey'j and Double H later on in the game.

IRISNetwork
06-14-2017, 05:09 PM
DiDoFRGT10 are you Michel Ancel, lol? You can get him to reply on Insta.

Ancel will make Beyond Good & Evil, not GTA. If Ancel is inspired by GTA's narrative quality, non linear style, scale and and seamless world, then it wouldn't be a bad thing. Having said that I want him to do his own thing. The story can be completed on your own or with other players, hopefully it won't be online only. Something tell's me you'll be able to control Pey'j and Double H later on in the game.

You are describing my sentiments exactly, people get way too worked up about things like this.

This game will be open world, with multiple tasks, mini-objectives, drivable vehicles, and interesting characters. Do you know what game that describes? Beyond Good and Evil 1. Oh, you've never played BGE1? Well... it's like GTA then!

He's trying to sell the game, and telling people it's GTA in space will make the average joe flip his ****.

I agree he needs to do more to put the old school BGE fan's minds at ease, some of them are getting very concerned, but if you think about it logically, I really don't think we have anything to worry about. Personally this old school BGE fan was put at ease as soon as I saw the trailer, I just.. I get it.

Soulid_Snake
06-14-2017, 05:21 PM
You are describing my sentiments exactly, people get way too worked up about things like this.

This game will be open world, with multiple tasks, mini-objectives, drivable vehicles, and interesting characters. Do you know what game that describes? Beyond Good and Evil 1. Oh, you've never played BGE1? Well... it's like GTA then!

He's trying to sell the game, and telling people it's GTA in space will make the average joe flip his ****.

I agree he needs to do more to put the old school BGE fan's minds at ease, some of them are getting very concerned, but if you think about it logically, I really don't think we have anything to worry about. Personally this old school BGE fan was put at ease as soon as I saw the trailer, I just.. I get it.

I'm not against swearing in the game, just hopefully it's not overdone to force the characters to look cool. I did find it funny when the Sus sapien lost his **** though. I thought the realisitic artstyle was gonna make it look to murky, but it's beautiful.

IRISNetwork
06-14-2017, 05:31 PM
I'm not against swearing in the game, just hopefully it's not overdone to force the characters to look cool. I did find it funny when the Sus sapien lost his **** though. I thought the realisitic artstyle was gonna make it look to murky, but it's beautiful.

Oh my god, are you in my head?

Yes! The swearing was not 'edgy' it was hilarious in the context, these characters are funny and charming, the swearing is a part of their particular charm, Zhou losing his **** was hilarious. Not everyone will swear as Michel himself said, the swearing is a part of those character traits, and it makes sense to show them off as our first window in to BGE 2 so we enter with a big ****ing bang! I can already see the BGE I know and love, because I can see Michel in it. For those who can't, it will come.

Everybody is saying they prefer the look of the 2008-9 stuff. Even though I would have been happy back then, it looks DISGUSTING, murky and brown and horrible and bland. Now, they have a similar theme, but everything is rendered so beautifully, it is a perfect blend of realistic and stylised, the colours are magical, the character designs are brilliant!

It hurts just how much I love the direction this game is taking, and it hurts even more that some people are getting totally the wrong vibe from it all!

Phew... rant over :)

Soulid_Snake
06-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Oh my god, are you in my head?

Yes! The swearing was not 'edgy' it was hilarious in the context, these characters are funny and charming, the swearing is a part of their particular charm, Zhou losing his **** was hilarious. Not everyone will swear as Michel himself said, the swearing is a part of those character traits, and it makes sense to show them off as our first window in to BGE 2 so we enter with a big ****ing bang! I can already see the BGE I know and love, because I can see Michel in it. For those who can't, it will come.

Everybody is saying they prefer the look of the 2008-9 stuff. Even though I would have been happy back then, it looks DISGUSTING, murky and brown and horrible and bland. Now, they have a similar theme, but everything is rendered so beautifully, it is a perfect blend of realistic and stylised, the colours are magical, the character designs are brilliant!

It hurts just how much I love the direction this game is taking, and it hurts even more that some people are getting totally the wrong vibe from it all!

Phew... rant over :)

:) I'm not gonna lie, the game will have a lot to live upto, people will need to be open minded when they approach the game.

I love what's been done with the old architecture, made futuristic with holographic flames on statues and holographic signs, it's different. The thing is we'll get different flavours from different worlds, this city is not respective of the whole game. Getting glimpses of the original game's soul, this trailer is far better than the 2008 reveal. I just hope the technology side is nailed because I hope we won't be running into performance problems. Beyond Good & Evil was a technical marvel.

FlukeRogi
06-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Oh man.. I just stumbled across the trailer - didn't have a clue about this until literally a few minutes ago - totally psyched! :)

bitebug2003
06-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Comparisons made to No Man Sky etc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-15-beyond-good-and-evil-2-lets-you-create-your-own-character

DiDoFRGT10
06-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Yeah I was just talking about this in the BG&E2 forum, the game feels like it will be a mashup of GTA + Far Cry 4 + No Man's Sky (And Fallout? :D) the ambition they have for this game is huge which is worrying, I really hope they could pull off their vision and deliver a masterpiece.

Shouldn't we move all BG&E2 related posts to the new BG&E2 forum? It's getting annoying jumping between 3 sub forums..

pop2016
06-15-2017, 08:06 AM
"You travel, you discover cultures. And you take that, and you are richer because of this travel," - Ancel

I think we can expect different architectural styles [chinese japanese etc etc ] on planets with life and they will follow different cultures like they mentioned in e3 briefing. Main problem is the distribution of game missions which in the end should map with the story.

Dont know how they are going to achieve this feat as the scale of the game seems pretty big , its similar to no man sky and mass effect andromeda . I think the decision to not reveal details to general public is absolutely right . No pressre ubisoft just take your time .

why is there no forum page for beyond good and evil 2 O_O ? site admin we need a forum page , FORUM PAGE

errorx1
06-15-2017, 08:07 AM
I have trust in Michel ancel that it's gone be fun game to play.
The only thing that me worries me about this game is that you don't play as Jade. I think that will disappoint a lot of fans.

IRISNetwork
06-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Comparisons made to No Man Sky etc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-15-beyond-good-and-evil-2-lets-you-create-your-own-character

Hmm, that's.. different.

pop2016
06-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Beyond good and evil 2 will have civilization , no man sky literally had "no man " NPC's where on the ship and the animals ate everyone on the planet so that explains " its like beauty and no brain.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Beyond good and evil 2 will have civilization , no man sky literally had "no man " NPC's where on the ship and the animals ate everyone on the planet so that explains " its like beauty and no brain.

It's exactly what the dev team is not defending as their vision.
They want a living and breathing world. No empty narration but real interractions.

I 'm not saying that I don't want to see some empty places (deserts, seas, ...) GRW showed that leaving some empty locations can lead to a beautiful open word.

DiDoFRGT10
06-15-2017, 07:54 PM
After reading many articles about the game, I'm starting to get a sense of how the game will play out. It's like Fallout in a way, but you won't play a certain character in the game, you'll be a character you create on your own, the customization level will be very high, from the looks of the character (human or hybrid white or black.. etc), to the crew you'll gather, to the ships you'll drive. The story will have certain events that all players will experience, but how you get to these points is totally up to you, but either way, the story will unfold the same way for everyone. Loving the idea!!

QuiGonJ
06-15-2017, 11:31 PM
After reading many articles about the game, I'm starting to get a sense of how the game will play out. It's like Fallout in a way, but you won't play a certain character in the game, you'll be a character you create on your own, the customization level will be very high, from the looks of the character (human or hybrid white or black.. etc), to the crew you'll gather, to the ships you'll drive. The story will have certain events that all players will experience, but how you get to these points is totally up to you, but either way, the story will unfold the same way for everyone. Loving the idea!!

And to be fair, going back and reading about the original BG&E, this was what Ancel wanted to begin with. It was just cut down dramatically due to tech not being there yet. I was able to sign up for the beta this afternoon, so I guess we just wait and see at this point.

bitebug2003
06-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Please continue Beyond Good & Evil 2 discussions in the dedicated forums

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1648-Beyond-Good-amp-Evil-2

Thanks.

CaribbeanCLANK
06-19-2017, 04:15 PM
A cinematic trailer and people are already complaining.

I am excited and I am looking forward to learn more about the game.

Asuka_Jr.
06-23-2017, 04:06 AM
Not just A cinematic trailer, but a SECOND one, that unlike the first, shows no signs of EITHER of the original game's primary characters, and doesn't even IMPLY that there will be any continuation of the investigative storyline that the ENTIRE first game was about, and was left on a cliff-hanger.

Please do not dismiss original BG&E fan concerns, just because you don't share them.

I loved BG&E not because I could compete in Hover-races, not because I could take wildlife pictures and make money from them, not because I could use my Dai-jo staff to kick butt, NOT because I got to upgrade my hovercraft up to being a short-range spaceship... I loved that game because I CARED about the characters, I CARED about helping JADE solve the mystery of the DomZ attacks, and I felt like I was actually helping collect evidence that was going to be used to not just save the orphans at Pey'j and Jade's lighthouse, not just the local people, but the WHOLE of Hillys, AND that I was helping to pull down the cruel plots of some manipulative villains.

Jade was a young idealist, working as an independent reporter, who CARED about the people of her world, NOT just her friends and extended family. She was honest, forthright, confident and unwilling to compromise her morals for ANY reason. Because she CARED.

You DO know that the story was NOT finished at the end of the first game, right?

The first teaser trailer at least IMPLIED there would be Jade and Pey'j in SOME kind of game, and that raised the hope we might actually get to finally pursue the truth of the fantastic STORY we never got to finish in the first game. Then silence...for YEARS...and now, we actually get a trailer that is even titled 'Beyond Good & Evil'...and there is a lying, cheating, thieving, foul-mouthed APE, swindling a pig that MIGHT be considered to be of the same species as Pey'j, but no Pey'j. No Jade. No forthright, honest, independent reporter chasing further leads in what even so far has proven to be the biggest story in her world's modern history... And you want to act like people are over-reacting to what the trailer shows? Really?

I don't even have an example to hold up as an equivalent in games... I'm sure there's other examples of games that were wildly popular, and the sequel was like a totally different game. Like the developers thought that the fans didn't even want to play the same TYPE of game, or just wanted to use the popular game's name to sell their new game, without it actually playing like the first... Sadly, in the moment I cannot come up with one of those type, but THAT is the concern that we old-timers have. That the characters and STORY that we so loved playing through will become relegated to some pointless side story, or just be the window dressing for intermissions between acts.

I want to know what happens to Hillys. I want to help Jade investigate the deeper story of the DomZ and Alpha Squadron, as well as who she REALLY is, and why the DomZ implied that she is connected to them, and what Pey'j knows about her history, and I want to see how she reacts to learning the truth. To me, BG&E is a story that I want to get to the bottom of, and while I understand that will require some telling of past events, I DON'T want to spend practically this whole game in the past! I want to see and PLAY as Jade! I want to sneak into military installations and collect evidence, and finally learn the truth about the DomZ and what happens to Jade and Pey'j.

So yeah, I'm concerned, and I'm willing to complain. Because if the end game results in the original story being relegated to side notes and short cut-scenes, that will hardly qualify as a legitimate sequel. It may be good game, but if it ignores the characters and history of the first game, it's still not a sequel. It's just a cheap grab at a lot of peoples' nostalgic hopes, for the sake of a quick buck off the original property name...

MonkeyJamboree
06-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Not just A cinematic trailer, but a SECOND one, that unlike the first, shows no signs of EITHER of the original game's primary characters, and doesn't even IMPLY that there will be any continuation of the investigative storyline that the ENTIRE first game was about, and was left on a cliff-hanger.

Please do not dismiss original BG&E fan concerns, just because you don't share them.

I loved BG&E not because I could compete in Hover-races, not because I could take wildlife pictures and make money from them, not because I could use my Dai-jo staff to kick butt, NOT because I got to upgrade my hovercraft up to being a short-range spaceship... I loved that game because I CARED about the characters, I CARED about helping JADE solve the mystery of the DomZ attacks, and I felt like I was actually helping collect evidence that was going to be used to not just save the orphans at Pey'j and Jade's lighthouse, not just the local people, but the WHOLE of Hillys, AND that I was helping to pull down the cruel plots of some manipulative villains.

Jade was a young idealist, working as an independent reporter, who CARED about the people of her world, NOT just her friends and extended family. She was honest, forthright, confident and unwilling to compromise her morals for ANY reason. Because she CARED.

You DO know that the story was NOT finished at the end of the first game, right?

The first teaser trailer at least IMPLIED there would be Jade and Pey'j in SOME kind of game, and that raised the hope we might actually get to finally pursue the truth of the fantastic STORY we never got to finish in the first game. Then silence...for YEARS...and now, we actually get a trailer that is even titled 'Beyond Good & Evil'...and there is a lying, cheating, thieving, foul-mouthed APE, swindling a pig that MIGHT be considered to be of the same species as Pey'j, but no Pey'j. No Jade. No forthright, honest, independent reporter chasing further leads in what even so far has proven to be the biggest story in her world's modern history... And you want to act like people are over-reacting to what the trailer shows? Really?

I don't even have an example to hold up as an equivalent in games... I'm sure there's other examples of games that were wildly popular, and the sequel was like a totally different game. Like the developers thought that the fans didn't even want to play the same TYPE of game, or just wanted to use the popular game's name to sell their new game, without it actually playing like the first... Sadly, in the moment I cannot come up with one of those type, but THAT is the concern that we old-timers have. That the characters and STORY that we so loved playing through will become relegated to some pointless side story, or just be the window dressing for intermissions between acts.

I want to know what happens to Hillys. I want to help Jade investigate the deeper story of the DomZ and Alpha Squadron, as well as who she REALLY is, and why the DomZ implied that she is connected to them, and what Pey'j knows about her history, and I want to see how she reacts to learning the truth. To me, BG&E is a story that I want to get to the bottom of, and while I understand that will require some telling of past events, I DON'T want to spend practically this whole game in the past! I want to see and PLAY as Jade! I want to sneak into military installations and collect evidence, and finally learn the truth about the DomZ and what happens to Jade and Pey'j.

So yeah, I'm concerned, and I'm willing to complain. Because if the end game results in the original story being relegated to side notes and short cut-scenes, that will hardly qualify as a legitimate sequel. It may be good game, but if it ignores the characters and history of the first game, it's still not a sequel. It's just a cheap grab at a lot of peoples' nostalgic hopes, for the sake of a quick buck off the original property name...

This is summed up FAR better than I ever could. Thank you for explaining it so well. I'm an "old school" fan who was disappointed and worried by the trailer as well. Seeing the trailer for BG&E2 was like reading the the first part of a mystery book trilogy, then the author suddenly switching genres to forensic horror after more than a decade of nothing, and completely changing writing style to write a loosely-tied book in the same universe, without writing the rest of the books in the series, yet having left the first book on a cliffhanger. Doing this just confuses, frustrates, and alienates existing fans. Sure, the resulting new work could be fantastic, but it COMPLETELY AVOIDS the point of the original work. It's for this reason I don't often get into entertainment media until a series is "finished" - if I wait anxiously for the next part, I'm often disappointed by the result.

limeboy9
06-25-2017, 03:42 PM

I think this is what he means by complaining.