PDA

View Full Version : People are actually complaining about the Kensei buff?

Jasado
06-10-2017, 03:17 PM
That's insane. The buff is huge.

Kensei ALREADY spam their dodge attack 24/7, it's worse than turtle meta, you can't combo them for anything without an immediate swift strike response. Hell, I slap them with a light and stand still because they reflexively mash it just like berseker and orochi - and at least before this upcoming buff, that strategy made them free lunch - because you were given a free grab > heavy on block.

Now, the block won't stumble them. Meaning they can continue the combo, and because of previous buffs, means instant combo end finisher feint mindgames.

This also makes their gap closer a lot safer, unlike valk still being a free grab on block.

Remember, they abuse the fact they have the one dash attack that comes from the opposite direction of where they dodge, using your own brains conditioning against you. (Personally I think this is bad design because it's only there to trick your brain by breaking the ruleset of every other dodge attack matching the direction of the dodge, which is just applying false power for the sake of novelty, but hey, that's how it is.)

Either way, this buff truly is gamechanging for Kensei. People who don't realize that are either bad at Kensei or bad at fighting Kensei, lmao.

Kensei does truckloads of damage and his kit is really balanced/good, and every buff to him has polished him for the better incrementally.

I sort of get the feeling when the defense meta patch comes through he's going to be absolutely nuts.

Anyways, please stop complaining about a buff that's actually really solid for an already solid class.

It's so annoying seeing people scream rage about everything, even when Ubi delivers on something they ask for. That sort of crap is how you shut down developers trying to hear you, since you're an implacable baby screeching no matter what they do. At least test the buffs in depth before you criticize them so heavily.

Antonioj26
06-10-2017, 03:22 PM

Kensei ALREADY spam their dodge attack 24/7, it's worse than turtle meta, you can't combo them for anything without an immediate swift strike response. Hell, I slap them with a light and stand still because they reflexively mash it just like berseker and orochi - and at least before this upcoming buff, that strategy made them free lunch - because you were given a free grab > heavy on block.

Now, the block won't stumble them. Meaning they can continue the combo, and because of previous buffs, means instant combo end finisher feint mindgames.

This also makes their gap closer a lot safer, unlike valk still being a free grab on block.

Remember, they abuse the fact they have the one dash attack that comes from the opposite direction of where they dodge, using your own brains conditioning against you. (Personally I think this is bad design because it's only there to trick your brain by breaking the ruleset of every other dodge attack matching the direction of the dodge, which is just applying false power for the sake of novelty, but hey, that's how it is.)

Either way, this buff truly is gamechanging for Kensei. People who don't realize that are either bad at Kensei or bad at fighting Kensei, lmao.

Kensei does truckloads of damage and his kit is really balanced/good, and every buff to him has polished him for the better incrementally.

I sort of get the feeling when the defense meta patch comes through he's going to be absolutely nuts.

Anyways, please stop complaining about a buff that's actually really solid for an already solid class.

It's so annoying seeing people scream rage about everything, even when Ubi delivers on something they ask for. That sort of crap is how you shut down developers trying to hear you, since you're an implacable baby screeching no matter what they do. At least test the buffs in depth before you criticize them so heavily.

Lol worse than the turtle meta? Kensei is garbage and if you are constantly getting hit with swift strike than that's on you. If your opponents are half decent at parrying or blocking than this "buff" does nothing. He will remain a noob stomper and it will help him stomp noobs more but that's all it will do. He will still be trash past mid level play. If your brain hasn't caught onto his dash attack than honestly that's really your problem. It shouldn't take more than a few sessions to realize it comes from the opposite directiOn, it's not like it changes back in forth.

Vasher.
06-10-2017, 03:35 PM
It seems people will complain about anything in this community...toxic.

Antonioj26
06-10-2017, 03:36 PM
It seems people will complain about anything in this community...toxic.

Well it's probably because kensei has been at the bottom since launch and two buffs later he will still remain at the bottom.

guor6800
06-10-2017, 03:49 PM

What do you main bro?

Kitsune..
06-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Probably because the love the devs have promised to Kensei happened to be a fast sex. I personally feel really bad for those Kensei mains, who made awesome suggestions and shared their ideas. They weren' t needed.

SenBotsu893
06-10-2017, 04:25 PM
This has to be an troll post....

i was actually thinking about making a post on why Kensei did not recieve a proper buff.

It is as easy as pie to block the incoming swift strike. if you havent learned it by now then im sorry but you clearly have to catch up. He is not the only one with an opposite evade move...
also if blocked now it still interupts kensei. He CAN NOT continou into the finisher. tested it already enough the past 2 days.
AND to make it even more laughable... i still havent encountered a kensei that countered my guardbreak after i blocked their swiftstrike (myself included)... either the patch did not apply on consoles or the timing is difficult.

and gues what. in most of my duels i got simply Parried by doing swift strikes willy nilly.

you are very wrong about this to be a gamechanger for Kensei.

And if you really want to compare kensei to valk you should compare previeous patchnotes and you will see how big of a buff valkyrie got and how little kensei has changed.
Also Valk has way faster attacks and shorter indicators plus better mix ups. And even though Kensei is supposed to be a Vanguard his HP is the same of an Assasin.

OH jeah you said he does truckloads of damage... if you check the values you will notice he his avrg. heavy is actually just in the middle field. Furthermore he can never land more than 1 light if he continous the combo its just asking to be parried because all his attacks are very welll telegraphed and not that fast. Heck the Centurions HEAVY is faster than Kenseis LIGHT and they do more damage...

Antonioj26
06-10-2017, 04:44 PM
This has to be an troll post....

i was actually thinking about making a post on why Kensei did not recieve a proper buff.

It is as easy as pie to block the incoming swift strike. if you havent learned it by now then im sorry but you clearly have to catch up. He is not the only one with an opposite evade move...
also if blocked now it still interupts kensei. He CAN NOT continou into the finisher. tested it already enough the past 2 days.
AND to make it even more laughable... i still havent encountered a kensei that countered my guardbreak after i blocked their swiftstrike (myself included)... either the patch did not apply on consoles or the timing is difficult.

and gues what. in most of my duels i got simply Parried by doing swift strikes willy nilly.

you are very wrong about this to be a gamechanger for Kensei.

And if you really want to compare kensei to valk you should compare previeous patchnotes and you will see how big of a buff valkyrie got and how little kensei has changed.
Also Valk has way faster attacks and shorter indicators plus better mix ups. And even though Kensei is supposed to be a Vanguard his HP is the same of an Assasin.

OH jeah you said he does truckloads of damage... if you check the values you will notice he his avrg. heavy is actually just in the middle field. Furthermore he can never land more than 1 light if he continous the combo its just asking to be parried because all his attacks are very welll telegraphed and not that fast. Heck the Centurions HEAVY is faster than Kenseis LIGHT and they do more damage...

Patch isn't out yet, PC this coming week and an unannounced date for console.

Kitsune..
06-10-2017, 05:27 PM
And I haven't even mentioned that the Kensei Humiliation Department has finally made it to Kensei fashion, and even more, they were messing with his nodachi! With his precious weapon, the embodiment of power and awesomeness!
http://oi64.tinypic.com/a4n4o8.jpg
You really want to stop here, guys. I swear, you do! :mad:

MasterChiefPON
06-10-2017, 05:40 PM

🙈

UbiNoty
06-11-2017, 12:55 AM
We're looking to make Kensei more viable, not make him a god.
We believe the buffs we're giving him will give him a lot more options in initiation as Helm Splitter + Swift strike will now now uninterruptible on block - and then from there he'll be able to have more access to utilize his moveset.
Once the live update goes out, we'll take your feedback on the changes then and see if we need to bump up the love a bit more.

BeefMan_
06-11-2017, 01:10 AM

Literally what
Kensei is straight garbage. At this stage in the game, there is literally no excuse for being killed by one.
This isn't even that big of a buff. His dodge lights are still parry bait, it's just that they're no longer a 100% liability to use.
I don't see you complaining about Nobushi, who does everything Kensei does, except infinitely better.

t. Kensei main

BeefMan_
06-11-2017, 01:12 AM
We believe the buffs we're giving him will give him a lot more options in initiation as Helm Splitter + Swift strike will now now uninterruptible on block - and then from there he'll be able to have more access to utilize his moveset.
Once the live update goes out, we'll take your feedback on the changes then and see if we need to bump up the love a bit more.

Just increase the speed of his dodge lights (and his regular lights, too) and maybe buff his feints. That's all you need to do.

MasterChiefPON
06-11-2017, 01:25 AM
I'm a Kensei main and honestly I'm pretty good with him when someone plays as intended (I'm ****ed, I know) because I can feint and parry but I can't do **** against turtles, anyone in elimination can stall me and don't do anything until a teammate arrives and then gank me, there's some people who don't do anything and just parry my lights which are not hard to parry so I have to turtle and try to parry lights too or they just never throw anything for me to parry, just safe attacks. I'm considering to stop playing Kensei for a while and just go to someone faster like Pk or Shinobi or someone with a good opener because what's the point with being good at feinting and mixing things up if I could do the same feints and mix ups with another character with a better opener or one with fast attacks and flickering zone attacks.

CaptainPwnet
06-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Well it's probably because kensei has been at the bottom since launch and two buffs later he will still remain at the bottom.

3 buffs actually and yes nothing will have changed for him against decent players. Just more quality of life adjustments to stomp noobs with.

Really don't get it either. Both Raider and Lawbringer got significant changes all at once. It's debatable how useful those changes were of course. But Those 2 characters got more in 1 patch then Kensei has gotten in 3 separate buffs and yet nothing has changed for Kensei except more noob stomping which just pads UBI's precious but mostly useless data lol.

MasterChiefPON
06-11-2017, 02:56 AM
3 buffs actually and yes nothing will have changed for him against decent players. Just more quality of life adjustments to stomp noobs with.

Really don't get it either. Both Raider and Lawbringer got significant changes all at once. It's debatable how useful those changes were of course. But Those 2 characters got more in 1 patch then Kensei has gotten in 3 separate buffs and yet nothing has changed for Kensei except more noob stomping which just pads UBI's precious but mostly useless data lol.

The problem with these buffs is that the swift strike is still so easy to parry and gives a full heavy of it as it is a light parry, I only use it to punish a bash or kick and because it is a punish it always goes to top unblockable because it hits, the fact that now it goes to top unblockable even on block doesn't mean it's a good opener because if another Kensei tries to throw me that from iddle I'm gonna parry it and punish him with a side heavy for trying and the helm splitter is better yes but how I see it is that if your opponent is good at parrying, then it's not gonna be as useful as they thought. I think the swift strike is not gonna be useful as an opener, just for punish as it is now and the helm splitter will depend on the skill of your opponent so I don't see it as good.

UbiNoty
06-11-2017, 03:00 AM
The data we use for evaluation is filtered and we use rep 1 and up players to try to get accurate information. And thank you for voicing your feedback and concerns about the upcoming buffs, I'll pass it over to the team.

Arkhos1988
06-11-2017, 03:14 AM
omg the doge hit atack is to strong.... most even don'T use it couse it gets parryed 90% of the time. The buff is not great, i would have prefered more around the part stamina recoverytime and maybe something to open up. Gb range maybe.
That people complain about it in regards of, not what the Kensei needs, is understandable. The whine about kensei so, is basicly saying, i ahte it couse i suck.
In regards of his dmg, well he doesnt do much more than most other champs, only his top heavy unblockable, and thats only usuable if you gb someone into a wall. at least if these are the actual stats https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wwr17AtTDFU3BZY_81axLVMKdHdNZuV0wGOb589VKgc/edit#gid=0

Pestilence1X
06-11-2017, 03:22 AM
Those buffs are going to do absolutely NOTHING for Kensei against turtlers, which is where he struggles. These buffs are simply quality of life buffs. That's it. He will be able to smash noobs more easily with these buffs, but at noob levels are not where you balance the game. I love how Ubi thinks that buffing swift strike and helm splitter will actually do something for him. Those moves are terrible. Helm splitter should NEVER be used and swift strike is only useful as a reactionary move. NOT as an opener. Kensei received nothing with this buff. I'm genuinely disappointed because this patch made it seem like Kensei was actually going to receive something useful. I just don't understand how Ubi struggles so badly with giving proper buffs to solid heroes that need them, yet they can create heroes that are nothing but ******** and gimmicks.

Is it really that hard? The weakest heroes in this game are the ones that literally rely on the basic mechanics and fundamentals of the game. Things that EVERY OTHER HERO ALREADY HAS (Kensei relying solely on feinting for example)! The ones that are powerful and "OP" are the ones that rely on more than just basic fundamentals. There are so many flaws with this games' balance that it's not even funny anymore. When you create a hero that has certain moves and abilities, you create the next with EQUAL (but not the same) moves and abilities. You can't create a hero with less offensive and defensive options as another hero and expect it to go well (Comparing Kensei to Warden). It should have been VERY obvious which would have been stronger.

Kitsune..
06-11-2017, 05:49 AM

The problem is that you guys don't give a flying truck about feedback. You'll start your data gathering, which will take forever considering your current playerbase numbers and the part of active Kensei mains in it. I would like to say "Take your time", but you don't have it. Here you have all the feedback on your "buffs" right now, you have a sh1tton of awesome ideas from Kensei mains, so start with that promiced love already.

Y_Shrewditch
06-11-2017, 12:35 PM
The data we use for evaluation is filtered and we use rep 1 and up players to try to get accurate information. And thank you for voicing your feedback and concerns about the upcoming buffs, I'll pass it over to the team.

I saw something like that in another thread but can't find it anymore, so I'll post the question here.

With the xp-buffs (and Champion status) it's extremely easy to get to rep 1 these days. Just do a couple of hours of Dominion, play against bots, and you're there. I've seen lvl 3 characters slaughter rep 10+ players, both in 1v1 and 4v4. So basically, reputation doesn't mean all that much.

I ('d like to) consider myself a slightly above average skilled player, with a 55% winrate in duels (hey, it's above the average of 50, so bite me ;) ) on Nobushi. But I feel it's taken me to at least to rep4 to get to grips with her and be anything remotely decent.

Sometimes I just slaughter my opponents, sometimes they completely slaughter me, though lately it's mostly a 50/50 (or 2/3). I struggle against good Kensei, while I run over bad Kensei.

Maybe it's because I'm not a statistician, but I don't see how my stats hold any meaning for balancing issues simply because my character is over rep1.

So my question is; is it possible for you to elaborate a bit more on how you use the stats to determine issues?

For instance; do you filter for the top 1% in killcounts, do you compensate a low killrate with time played on that character, time played in total and k/d rate in total?

Dizzy4213
06-11-2017, 01:34 PM
The problem is that you guys don't give a flying truck about feedback. You'll start your data gathering, which will take forever considering your current playerbase numbers and the part of active Kensei mains in it. I would like to say "Take your time", but you don't have it. Here you have all the feedback on your "buffs" right now, you have a sh1tton of awesome ideas from Kensei mains, so start with that promiced love already.

Couldn't agree more. The only way feedback will ever get noticed, is if it blows up on Reddit and even then, it's not guaranteed that they will do anything. LB has been plagued with bugs since release, and I've done everything I possibly can to try and get bugs noticed, but to no avail. It's simply not worth posting feedback anymore. Eric, who is supposed to be the Community Developer, isn't even active on these forums. Just look at the Warframe forums. I took a break a several months ago, so I'm not sure how much has changed since then. Say what you will about the game, but the difference between DE and Ubisoft is like night and day. The WF forums is much cleaner, way more organised, barely any spam, is easy to see staff replies. Rebecca and Megan who are the Community Manages for the game, are almost always active on the forum. Unlike FH Community Developers, who to put it bluntly, are completely ****ing useless! The most I've seen from Eric is the odd post about a meme on Reddit. Oh, and WF support is actually helpful, unlike Ubisoft's.

I know you can't really compare a F2P game with a AAA game, but the difference between how each of them handle their communities is astounding. This is the first Ubi game I've bought in over 9 years, and it will most certainly be my last.

Duuklah
06-11-2017, 04:49 PM

On PC you literally can't throw a single swift strike without being parried. Its treated as a light so GG..

ELDRIX_
06-11-2017, 06:54 PM
lol is this for real?

Epoqx
06-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Even if the future kensei buff isnt exactly what he needed, it will help much more on the opening mechanics for the kensei.

The fact that the front dash light can't get stopped by block, means that we will have much more opportunities to get our mix up, even if it isnt the best out there, because a single fast light can counter it.
Makin the unblockable uninterruptible would be an appreciated buff, and making that mix up strong enough so that people need to stay defensive from it.

The incoming buff on swift strike was needed since too long.

If you guys can't handle the swift strike, you arent clearly good enough to advice a change for the kensei.

That move is the slowest dodge hit move from all roster, and a single block guarantees you a free GB. It isnt used AT ALL on high level.

Antonioj26
06-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Even if the future kensei buff isnt exactly what he needed, it will help much more on the opening mechanics for the kensei.

The fact that the front dash light can't get stopped by block, means that we will have much more opportunities to get our mix up, even if it isnt the best out there, because a single fast light can counter it.
Makin the unblockable uninterruptible would be an appreciated buff, and making that mix up strong enough so that people need to stay defensive from it.

The incoming buff on swift strike was needed since too long.

If you guys can't handle the swift strike, you arent clearly good enough to advice a change for the kensei.

That move is the slowest dodge hit move from all roster, and a single block guarantees you a free GB. It isnt used AT ALL on high level.

"You guys?"

You mean just the one guy who made this thread? Everybody else is saying swift strike is dogs hit and it's a free parry/gb.

Epoqx
06-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Yeah was pointing out these people calling the Kensei OP !

Antonioj26
06-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Yeah was pointing out these people calling the Kensei OP !

But there isn't "these people," it's just one dude.

Epoqx
06-12-2017, 09:15 AM
But there isn't "these people," it's just one dude.

A guy created another thread to complain about kensei for exemple. These dudes.

ceaser64
06-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Lol all you have to do to beat a Kensai is parry his dodge attacks, or block if your not that good. 90% of the time if they feint the UB finisher once they'll do it most the time so don't ever try to parry the first attempt of it if their feinting a lot, and watch your guard indicator for left or right for the follow up.

Jasado
06-12-2017, 12:26 PM
"All you have to do to beat X is PARRY HIS X!!!!!!!"

Said everyone about every single matchup ever.

Still amazing how Kensei mains/****riders screech bloody murder over even good things that aren't "WHY DON'T ALL MY ATTACKS DO 200 DAMAGE AT 200 MS AND BE UNBLOCKABLE??? WHERE ARE MY BUFFS?!?!?!?"

The buff is still a far better buff compared to it not existing.

Seriously, if you're the kind of person who complains that certain moves in your moveset NO LONGER ARE A FREE GRAB ON BASIC BLOCK, the problem is you, not the buff.

For people saying "you never even use the move at all anymore because people just parry it" - that kind of conditioning means that when you finally do use it out of nowhere, people will probably end up blocking it instead of parrying - because you didn't do it an entire match/1v1. So now, that sort of conditioning will be better for the Kensei.

If everyone is just such a god no matter what enemy they are and ALL perfectly parry everything you do - well, you suck. Turtle harder and parry more instead of attacking.

Oh? What's that? Most of Kensei's problems derive from the turtle meta issue and not necessarily Kensei himself?

Well okay then. Stop using a separate issue from Kensei's independent balance to criticize a buff to his independent balance.

Is the buff minimal compared to what it could be? Of course. I'm sure it doesn't meet everyone's expectations.

Objectively it is a far better improvement than it is a detriment, though. It may very well be a better buff in the long run depending on the patch that addresses defense. It also probably won't be the only buff, but like the Shinobi nerfs, they probably want to buff him step by step.

Besides, if you're SO ******* good at the game that you only play people who have 100% parry rate of anything "unviable" you do, all you have to do is use your dodging superior block property and swift strike at the same time, then it's a guaranteed hit while defending, if we're talking about ONLY BEST CASE SCENARIO FIGHTS hahahahahahaha. *eyeroll*

Kensei mains for biggest drama queens NA.

Antonioj26
06-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Still amazing how Kensei mains/****riders screech bloody murder over even good things that aren't "WHY DON'T ALL MY ATTACKS DO 200 DAMAGE AT 200 MS AND BE UNBLOCKABLE??? WHERE ARE MY BUFFS?!?!?!?"

Seriously, if you're the kind of person who complains that certain moves in your moveset NO LONGER ARE A FREE GRAB ON BASIC BLOCK, the problem is you, not the buff.

For people saying "you never even use the move at all anymore because people just parry it" - that kind of conditioning means that when you finally do use it out of nowhere, people will probably end up blocking it instead of parrying - because you didn't do it an entire match/1v1. So now, that sort of conditioning will be better for the Kensei.

If everyone is just such a god no matter what enemy they are and ALL perfectly parry everything you do - well, you suck. Turtle harder and parry more instead of attacking.

Oh? What's that? Most of Kensei's problems derive from the turtle meta issue and not necessarily Kensei himself?

Well okay then. Stop using a separate issue from Kensei's independent balance to criticize a buff to his independent balance.

Is the buff minimal compared to what it could be? Of course. I'm sure it doesn't meet everyone's expectations.

Objectively it is a far better improvement than it is a detriment, though. It may very well be a better buff in the long run depending on the patch that addresses defense. It also probably won't be the only buff, but like the Shinobi nerfs, they probably want to buff him step by step.

Besides, if you're SO ******* good at the game that you only play people who have 100% parry rate of anything "unviable" you do, all you have to do is use your dodging superior block property and swift strike at the same time, then it's a guaranteed hit while defending, if we're talking about ONLY BEST CASE SCENARIO FIGHTS hahahahahahaha. *eyeroll*

It really is a trash attack, I don't understand how you still can't defend yourself against it. It's not at all difficult to parry even on console. I can't remember if this is the same thread but kensei is just a noob stomper. All this buff does is help with that even further. Risking a parry for a superior block swift strike isn't really worth it. Hes at the bottom and will remain at the bottom.

MarkedElite
06-12-2017, 04:59 PM

*Cough* you mean Raider *Cough*

Kensei is 2nd worst.

Antonioj26
06-12-2017, 05:06 PM
*Cough* you mean Raider *Cough*

Kensei is 2nd worst.

It's debatable and some would throw berserker below the two of them. Either way raider is certainly above the two of them now with his buffs. He's not god tier by any means but I think he's in a great spot.

rossato2109
06-12-2017, 06:11 PM

Indeed, I don't get this "kensei is awful" idea. I have good friends that play Kensei and they also think its ridiculous to say kensei is in a bad state. He just isn't as easy as the shinobi or centurion but besides that he is excelent.

Antonioj26
06-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Indeed, I don't get this "kensei is awful" idea. I have good friends that play Kensei and they also think its ridiculous to say kensei is in a bad state. He just isn't as easy as the shinobi or centurion but besides that he is excelent.

Excellent compared to who?

Epoqx
06-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Kensei is low tier for few reasons, all of them because the defensive meta is a must right now.
To make it short, Kensei is a noob stomper, but without any opener, with his slow and large animations, it gives him no chances to open up someone and gives oppenents some easily blockable attacks.

ceaser64
06-12-2017, 07:22 PM
It's debatable and some would throw berserker below the two of them. Either way raider is certainly above the two of them now with his buffs. He's not god tier by any means but I think he's in a great spot.

Lol so the conq is better than the kensai, raider, and possibly zerker?

Kitsune..
06-12-2017, 07:28 PM

Better is the wrong word. Noone can be better, than the Awesome, Glorious and Honorable Kensei-dono! :p
He is more effective. He's boring af, but he's the best turtle in this game and goes well with the meta.

Antonioj26
06-12-2017, 07:35 PM

He's probably the character with the most diverging opinions on where he is placed on the tier list. I personally think he's A and I'm not alone but many think he's bottom of the barrel. I do excellent with him, he has the best defensive tools in the game and this game highly rewards defensive play so it makes sense that he would be higher on the list.

guor6800
06-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Take one of your friends and put him against a good warden/warlord who don't even bother trying to parry and just blocks and spams 50/50. Come back after that and tell us again how excellent kensei really is. Yeah those buffs are stupid. Yeah free gb of block is great and all. But we are talking about the slowest and most telegraphed side dodge attack in the game.Most champions can miss their UB and still manage to punish you for "swift striking".

ceaser64
06-12-2017, 09:09 PM
He's probably the character with the most diverging opinions on where he is placed on the tier list. I personally think he's A and I'm not alone but many think he's bottom of the barrel. I do excellent with him, he has the best defensive tools in the game and this game highly rewards defensive play so it makes sense that he would be higher on the list.

I'd put him at like upper mid. Like a B minus. He's got the best defense for sure but his offense is the worst in the game in my opinion. He has very few safe moves and you really need to be on your A game for GB/CGB and parry to really make him shine. I'm still trying to get the timing down on that automatic Heavy he can do if you time it ok a block right. Just cant figure out what "cue" to look for

Pestilence1X
06-13-2017, 01:33 AM

Okay, I was somewhat taking this thread seriously until I saw this post. This is the biggest troll post I have ever seen. You're probably just some ****ty player that got schooled by one too many Kensei's because you still haven't figured out how to parry some of the slowest attacks in the game, let alone block them. Look at most other heroes in the game and compare them to Kensei and you will see why most people complain.

The point of buffing him is not to make him a god or top tier, but to give him something that most other heroes have (mostly top tier). Openers. When you said though that if you can't successfully attack, you should turtle harder, it made me laugh so ****ing hard. That was a good joke. It's not about sucking. It's about how ****ed up this game is and how easy some heroes are to react to.

Jasado
06-13-2017, 03:28 AM
Okay, I was somewhat taking this thread seriously until I saw this post. This is the biggest troll post I have ever seen. You're probably just some ****ty player that got schooled by one too many Kensei's because you still haven't figured out how to parry some of the slowest attacks in the game, let alone block them. Look at most other heroes in the game and compare them to Kensei and you will see why most people complain.

The point of buffing him is not to make him a god or top tier, but to give him something that most other heroes have (mostly top tier). Openers. When you said though that if you can't successfully attack, you should turtle harder, it made me laugh so ****ing hard. That was a good joke. It's not about sucking. It's about how ****ed up this game is and how easy some heroes are to react to.I actually have no problem versus Kensei.

Feinting and mindgames is the core of advanced gameplay, and Kensei is a character built around that.

His lights are not slow or weak, and heavy speed is less relevant when you can feint game well to force parries and your grabs combo into confirms.

I don't disagree his opener game needs help, but people in hysterics that this isn't a straight up buff to take the edge off is ridiculous.

The turtle point I made WAS a joke, not a ****, so stop taking it so hard.

If you can't ever find a place to use his gap closers/side attacks (when there is definitely a place for them), that is more indicative of your inability to know the moves, not mine, lmao.

Dodge attacks are immune to grabs, so you can use them as a response to reading an enemy mixup/feint. Also good in multi fights to reposition while hitting a new target. You can, as I previously stated, dodge into an attack WITH swift strike and superior guard it via Kensei's unique block.

Trying to pretend the move is useless, so any buff to it is also useless (in this case, removing the worst case scenario - a simple normal block removing any point to the move existing) - when most people are also stating they don't ever use the move because of how "useless" it is (So then what the hell would you know about a move you don't even bother with, lmao) - is very clearly showing bias and hyperbole.

It's STRICTLY A BUFF. Kensei will be better, all the way up to fabled "high level play" (please cite some sources beyond 1 or 2 matches between some streamers, I've love to see Kensei just failing in every way while being used by skilled players.) - with some diminishing return the higher up you go.

Again, Kensei mains who constantly complain and Kensei ****riders are the most fragile wet napkins I've seen in a gaming community. A buff is a buff is a buff. Be thankful and test the buff before writing it off, then give more feedback on what sore spots you think need addressing.

It's obvious they want to settle where the defense meta change patch lands him before they go overboard. Screeching autistically about buffs because they aren't the one you want when it is objectively improving your character is how you shut down dialogue.

Also, since I'm the one who MADE the thread, I already stated how easy it is to lazy block for free lunch grabs on Kensei. (Not that this stops low-mid tier Kensei's from simply throwing them out there like welfare.) I at least need to parry now, which before I could literally block an offscreen Kensei using helmsplitter on me trying to invade my 1v1, change targets, and free grab > heavy. Now, I may block it, but I have to respond to his mixup followup instead of getting free damage. That's a buff.

Say it with me. BUFF. It has ripples beyond 1v1 environment between parry bots, which is inane to reduce it to.

Antonioj26
06-13-2017, 04:01 AM
If you can't ever find a place to use his gap closers/side attacks (when there is definitely a place for them), that is more indicative of your inability to know the moves, not mine, lmao.

Dodge attacks are immune to grabs, so you can use them as a response to reading an enemy mixup/feint. Also good in multi fights to reposition while hitting a new target. You can, as I previously stated, dodge into an attack WITH swift strike and superior guard it via Kensei's unique block.

Again, Kensei mains who constantly complain and Kensei ****riders are the most fragile wet napkins I've seen in a gaming community. A buff is a buff is a buff. Be thankful and test the buff before writing it off, then give more feedback on what sore spots you think need addressing.

It's obvious they want to settle where the defense meta change patch lands him before they go overboard. Screeching autistically about buffs because they aren't the one you want when it is objectively improving your character is how you shut down dialogue.

Also, since I'm the one who MADE the thread, I already stated how easy it is to lazy block for free lunch grabs on Kensei. (Not that this stops low-mid tier Kensei's from simply throwing them out there like welfare.) I at least need to parry now, which before I could literally block an offscreen Kensei using helmsplitter on me trying to invade my 1v1, change targets, and free grab > heavy. Now, I may block it, but I have to respond to his mixup followup instead of getting free damage. That's a buff.

Say it with me. BUFF. It has ripples beyond 1v1 environment between parry bots, which is inane to reduce it to.

This buff doesnt help with using the dodge attack in the situations you mentioned if kenseis were already only using it when it was safe. This "a buff is a buff" mentality is so dumb, would you be saying the same thing if they shaved off 10 stamina usage from his swift strike? Like I said before hes consistently been at or near the bottom depending on who you ask since release and this will do nothing to change that so dont act bewildered when people are explaining why this isn't enough. People who are even novice level have learned it comes from the opposite direction and if they can parry raw heavies then they will be able to parry swift strike too. It's pretty much useless and I'd go as far as to say the worst "buff" they've implemented thus far. I can't think of one as bad as this but I could just be drawing a blank.

Jasado
06-13-2017, 04:15 AM
This buff doesnt help with using the dodge attack in the situations you mentioned if kenseis were already only using it when it was safe. This "a buff is a buff" mentality is so dumb, would you be saying the same thing if they shaved off 10 stamina usage from his swift strike? Like I said before hes consistently been at or near the bottom depending on who you ask since release and this will do nothing to change that so dont act bewildered when people are explaining why this isn't enough. People who are even novice level have learned it comes from the opposite direction and if they can parry raw heavies then they will be able to parry swift strike too. It's pretty much useless and I'd go as far as to say the worst "buff" they've implemented thus far. I can't think of one as bad as this but I could just be drawing a blank.

You are living in a "scarcity mindset" and frankly I feel pity for you. Up is down and left is right for you. A buff is a buff mentality is not "stupid", it is an objective fact. Your inability to accept an objective fact and rationalize improvement as detrimental would almost be a talent if you weren't cutting your nose off to spite your face.

You are clearly stuck in your ways and not interested in either a two way discussion or objective facts, so have a good evening.

Antonioj26
06-13-2017, 04:26 AM
You are living in a "scarcity mindset" and frankly I feel pity for you. Up is down and left is right for you. A buff is a buff mentality is not "stupid", it is an objective fact. Your inability to accept an objective fact and rationalize improvement as detrimental would almost be a talent if you weren't cutting your nose off to spite your face.

You are clearly stuck in your ways and not interested in either a two way discussion or objective facts, so have a good evening.

But it is dumb and I gave you an example of why it's dumb. It's no different. Who cares if it's a buff it's useless against anyone with the even the slowest reactions. I never said it was detrimental so don't twist my words. Yeah I'm pretty stuck on this buff not doing anything and the opinion of someone who isn't able to deal with this attack isn't going to change that, sorry.

CaptainPwnet
06-13-2017, 05:08 AM

Antonio is actually completely correct. This "buff" kensei got, just like all his other buffs make no difference when playing against half decent or better players. All his changes have been quality of life changes to stomp noobs more quickly and efficiently. Against a player who knows how to play they are 100% worthless. I don't even remember the last time I blocked a swift strike instead of parried it cause it's so easy lol. Helm splitter is easy to block because you never have to keep your guard anywhere but top until you have to react to one of his other incredibly slow attacks so making this chain into his finisher is a moot point.

That point is further moot because kensei's finisher mixups/cancels are all easily reacted to in the first place so quicker access to these makes no difference against a decent player.

Antonioj26
06-13-2017, 05:43 AM
In case anyone is curious jasado challenged me to 1v1 and I beat him 5-1 with kensei. If the image of a less than mediocre player was conjured up in your head after reading his original post than you were correct in your assumption. It's a shame I don't understand how the recording works in psn. It seems inconsistent where sometimes I can press the capture button and it will let me press square to capture the video but it doesn't let me every single time. Probably something I'm doing wrong. Time for bed, if you want more tomorrow jasado let me know and I'll break out my less than rep 1 kensei again for you.

Jasado
06-13-2017, 05:55 AM
In case anyone is curious jasado challenged me to 1v1 and I beat him 5-1 with kensei. If the image of a less than mediocre player was conjured up in your head after reading his original post than you were correct in your assumption. It's a shame I don't understand how the recording works in psn. It seems inconsistent where sometimes I can press the capture button and it will let me press square to capture the video but it doesn't let me every single time. Probably something I'm doing wrong. Time for bed, if you want more tomorrow jasado let me know and I'll break out my less than rep 1 kensei again for you.

No problem. I killed you round 1 and based on reading you, I figured out what was going on. The rest of the matches after your hour long whine and subject shift fest after talking **** had me in no mood to keep bothering. I obviously did not block several finishers. You proved my point that Kensei isn't in a bad spot, and that you shouldn't be throwing naked dodge attacks anyways. This buff just addresses edge cases that were too punishing for even a simple block.

Not only did you avoid doing what you claimed was foolproof against me and instead doing totally other stuff (you were tryharding so much LMAO) none of it reflected the points you pretended to want to prove. Yet you want me to take you seriously.

You can ***** for over an hour in the messenger but after me obviously sandbagging after killing you round one, you gotta go to sleep.

Take your free win, I got everything I wanted out of the fight. If you want to actually spend some time playing, sure, I'm not averse. Just don't whine at me for another hour for 40 seconds of gameplay.

Jasado
06-13-2017, 06:04 AM
Antonio is actually completely correct. This "buff" kensei got, just like all his other buffs make no difference when playing against half decent or better players. All his changes have been quality of life changes to stomp noobs more quickly and efficiently. Against a player who knows how to play they are 100% worthless. I don't even remember the last time I blocked a swift strike instead of parried it cause it's so easy lol. Helm splitter is easy to block because you never have to keep your guard anywhere but top until you have to react to one of his other incredibly slow attacks so making this chain into his finisher is a moot point.

That point is further moot because kensei's finisher mixups/cancels are all easily reacted to in the first place so quicker access to these makes no difference against a decent player.

Edge cases, especially outside of 1v1 and incoming Kensei helmsplitters don't equal him getting blown the **** out though.

If you love parrying swift strike, that's fine, but any attack that isn't a direct point blank light thrown from neutral is easy parrying. That's not exclusive to swift strike or helm splitter.

There are cases where him doing it at almost perfect timing through someone's whiff on recovery that results in a reactionary block just in time doesn't mean a free grab versus him, though. The pressure is on his side.

And I mean, he can feint his feints during his mixup and go for a grab, along with one of the feints having armor if you read an opponent trying to respond to the overhead with a light or zone interrupt. His feint game at the end of a combo simply has more oomph than most anyone else because that's his identity - when feint game is how you open people up or do damage. If they can read every single option you have, that is more you being predictable (and turtling being too effective).

I don't disagree that the nature of the turtle meta creates problems for Kensei - but again, that's not a Kensei problem, that's a system problem. Kensei as a character isn't weak. Again, while this buff isn't top of the line, it's not something worth complaining about. It removes a punish that was way too severe for a simple guard. During the wait that from now until the meta changing patch, it's 1 LESS thing to complain about, not MORE.

guor6800
06-13-2017, 07:31 AM
I don't disagree that the nature of the turtle meta creates problems for Kensei - but again, that's not a Kensei problem, that's a system problem. Kensei as a character isn't weak. Again, while this buff isn't top of the line, it's not something worth complaining about. It removes a punish that was way too severe for a simple guard. During the wait that from now until the meta changing patch, it's 1 LESS thing to complain about, not MORE.

Yeah regarding the devs the defense meta fixes gonna include more punishment when you oos. Explain to me please how a kensei can punish you when you're oos?Including those "buffs".

Kitsune..
06-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Yeah regarding the devs the defense meta fixes gonna include more punishment when you oos. Explain to me please how a kensei can punish you when you're oos?Including those "buffs".

Well, Kensei will be able to lure some exhausted parries with his HS to TU chain once this patch is installed, or at least to make some pressure on his OoS opponent being rather safe himself. Still Kensei himself hits OoS state much more easily, than his opponents IMO, his damage has insane stamina cost sadly. :(
More punishment for OoS is hardly able to fix turtle meta TBH, right the opposite even.

guor6800
06-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Well, Kensei will be able to lure some exhausted parries with his HS to TU chain once this patch is installed, or at least to make some pressure on his OoS opponent being rather safe himself. Still Kensei himself hits OoS state much more easily, than his opponents IMO, his damage has insane stamina cost sadly. :(
More punishment for OoS is hardly able to fix turtle meta TBH, right the opposite even.

Exactly my thoughts. Yeah after buff HS mix-up could cause a kind of 50/50 on Oos oppontents. The point is that you have nothing to bring your opponent on oos state except parry.And Kensei by default is an offensive-minded designed champion that must ATTACK and consume lots of stamina to do his mix-ups. So except of the clusterfack that is 4v4 modes i can't really see how these buffs will really help him.

Antonioj26
06-13-2017, 01:51 PM
No problem. I killed you round 1 and based on reading you, I figured out what was going on. The rest of the matches after your hour long whine and subject shift fest after talking **** had me in no mood to keep bothering. I obviously did not block several finishers. You proved my point that Kensei isn't in a bad spot, and that you shouldn't be throwing naked dodge attacks anyways. This buff just addresses edge cases that were too punishing for even a simple block.

Not only did you avoid doing what you claimed was foolproof against me and instead doing totally other stuff (you were tryharding so much LMAO) none of it reflected the points you pretended to want to prove. Yet you want me to take you seriously.

You can ***** for over an hour in the messenger but after me obviously sandbagging after killing you round one, you gotta go to sleep.

Take your free win, I got everything I wanted out of the fight. If you want to actually spend some time playing, sure, I'm not averse. Just don't whine at me for another hour for 40 seconds of gameplay.

Pfft lol you killed me on the first round and never again after that, yeah you read me really well, dude. You keep saying im whining but never explain how. Disagreeing with someone isnt whining or else I could say the same thing about you. Keep using whatever excuses you need to use to avoid facing that you are a less than mediocre player. You didn't block my finishers because you just straight up suck, and yeah kensei does amazing when his opponent isn't any good at this game hence why we call him a noob stomper.

I didn't know what we were trying to prove I asked you like 3 time, either you can counter the swift strike proving its a useless buff or you couldnt counter it and you showed us your skill level which was reflected in your original post where you said this dash attack tricks your brain. I didn't care about the outcome I just wanted to know if I was actually suppose to be fighting you or if we were doing some sort of experiment but you didn't answer. Then you said "you dont want this L on kensei" so I figured from that you wanted a serious fight with me while a I use my kensei that I have next to no experience with evident by him being under rep 1. I took your challenge and smashed you.

There you go again saying im b itching because I disagree with you, makes zero sense. If you had just told me in the original message wtf we were doing we could have had several rounds but you wouldnt give me a straight answer. Look at the time of the post where I talked about our fight and then look at this one, does this not seem to matchup with someones sleep schedule on a weekday? I'm not going to sacrifice sleep on some scrub who can't even take 2 rounds off of me in a set of 9. Jesus so not only are you terrible at the game but you also are a liar and a total poor sport, truly pathetic. Certainly was a free win, first time I can agree with you because It's always a free win against dumb orochi dash attackers/storm rushers. I'll rematch you anytime baby boy and don't worry I won't call you out on your excuses next time, I'll let you have them so you can keep that little shred of self worth.