PDA

View Full Version : Is this game really in chaos right now?

PrezidentTrump
06-10-2017, 12:29 PM
I was thinking about buying this game since I had fun in beta, and I also liked the unique combat. However, I've glanced around a few places and found out that the game is dropping players fast and the ones that are here are either toxic, don't care, or just like the game enough to look past all the current technical flaws such as the lag and all the exploits that brings to the combat system. How is it really? Asking for community input to guide my purchase or non purchase.

How is the game now?
Are the developers working to fix issues the community has brought up?
Is the new content coming out exciting from what you can see/read?

Gray360UK
06-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Are you the kind of person that can play Dark Souls without wanting to smash your controller into the wall? Or, more importantly, you do want to smash your controller into the wall, but you don't, you keep on trying over and over and over until you get somewhere.

If so ... you might just survive For Honor ;)

Jarl.Felix
06-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Just pay 60 euros and join the " Ubisoft fooled players" like we did. What can go wrong ? It's a lifetime opportunity.

Kitsune..
06-10-2017, 12:55 PM
The game is being overrun by Centurions right now, looks like we have 1 000 000 of those per 1 sq m =/
The devs are definitely doing something, but the changes per patch are minuscule and the data gathering periods take too long. Therefore the God tier heroes are still God tier and sh1t-tier ones have barely left their unenviable place. Ah, turtle meta is with us and there's no light at the end of this tunnel so far.
The new content is... well...exciting, lol, you can read a lot of threads about it on forums. The new maps are gorgeous though, they really are, I send all my love to the people who designed them <3 Especially the Temple Garden ^_^

Jarl.Felix
06-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Why not telling him about the bugs after every damn little patch ? The disconnects errors ? The crap balance ? The overused devs excuse "we are working on it" ?

The only guys who deserve praises are the designers AND the sound team. The sound team did excelent job to be honest. Top quality.

PrezidentTrump
06-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Yes I'm very resilient haha, I do enjoy people freaking out though. The only issue I would have were, I guess I should call them rumors since I didn't do much reading on it... the issue I would have is the lag and how that would effect combat. More specifically, since I don't have high ping (Generally in the 60ms range) I was wondering is there any exploit others could use against me using lag to their advantage, I've heard whispers of that kind of talk here and there. Is this game Peer to Peer or Dedicated server?

PrezidentTrump
06-10-2017, 01:07 PM
The game is being overrun by Centurions right now, looks like we have 1 000 000 of those per 1 sq m =/
The devs are definitely doing something, but the changes per patch are minuscule and the data gathering periods take too long. Therefore the God tier heroes are still God tier and sh1t-tier ones have barely left their unenviable place. Ah, turtle meta is with us and there's no light at the end of this tunnel so far.
The new content is... well...exciting, lol, you can read a lot of threads about it on forums. The new maps are gorgeous though, they really are, I send all my love to the people who designed them <3 Especially the Temple Garden ^_^

I've heard all the maps were going to be free, which was the same for rainbow six siege, my current favorite game. While that may be one of the main pulls, I was also wondering how fast the turn around time is for the developers? You mention the data gathering periods taking long, but how long would you say it takes the developer to realize an issue (Such as a really overpowered character/severe bug that hampers the experience), and then release a patch for it? I do look forward to the new maps, I recently picked up a 1070 GTX for my G-Sync 1440p monitor and I've just been enjoying every damn thing, even games from the 90's so I can only imagine a Temple Garden map with great glee haha.

PrezidentTrump
06-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Why not telling him about the bugs after every damn little patch ? The disconnects errors ? The crap balance ? The overused devs excuse "we are working on it" ?

The only guys who deserve praises are the designers AND the sound team. The sound team did excelent job to be honest. Top quality.

Hey there Felix, you sound like you're pissed so you just might know something that I need to. About the bugs, are they minor things that might be annoying, but are just a side effect of a game full of complex code to be fixed in the next patch? And if they are do the development team ignore them for awhile or do they usually patch up minor things fairly quickly. Also if they are big bugs I'd like to know the same thing. Balance I've heard has been an issue, but is there anyway that someone who practices hard enough with a character could defeat an overpowered one? Or is it completely one sided. I sympathize with the server issues, I'm almost convinced it really is a Ubisoft game issue after having run into them an abnormal amount of times in their games. I have a Soundblaster Z with a custom EQ and a high quality headset, looking forward to enjoying the fruits of the sound teams labor.

XxHunterHxX
06-10-2017, 01:21 PM
This is a pretty good review no ******** no nothing......i could say DONT BUY THIS GAME its **** ! but......i do love the game i have near 500 hours in it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUqsdK8BAgE

kweassa1
06-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Game's fine.

None of the so-called "issues" people constantly and endless whine about are exclusive to FH, and the most valid complaints are network stability, but even that's only a real problem when you have habitual leavers that destabilize and desync the game.

If the FH devs really made a mistake, they assumed everyone would have ideal connections in ideal network environments and are good sports. Unfortunately we've got players playing worldwide from zones/regions that have different quality of internet connections and its ISPs, and constantly rage quit every time they get beat up bad... so in a sense going P2P was indeed a bad choice.

But that being said, they've been working hard to remedy the problem and in most cases, it works fine.

Tillo.
06-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Yes it is in chaos.
It's not worth $60 and I'll tell you why: it is the year 2017 and for a fully AAA price tag you will be getting a game that has pauses during online gameplay. It has synch problems and matches crashing due to the worst netcode ever written. Single player campaign is a joke, you don't get to use all the heroes and the story looks to have been written by a 6-year-old, Ubi went cheap there too.
When you are not satisfied, you contact support or you come to the forums only to find out that instead of recieving some kind of support you are being lied to. They behave like mercenaries, they totally lack of customer support skills and they will even blame your dog before acknowledging they have a problem with their game.
Despite the cool graphics and their excellent marketing team who will be able to sell you a rock for gold, the community has had enough. Only 3 of my friends got to purchase the game, we told the rest DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY because we simply can't play For Honor. We love the game, love the concept, the mechanics, for sure balance needs to be done but what game doesn't? The problem is that we cannot stay together during an entire match. There is always one of us that gets kicked and most of the time the game crashes without giving us any reward completely wasting our time thanks to the disconnections. Did ubi fix this? Nope, they went cheap again and they will be implementing a quit penalty, which is like putting a band-aid on a .50cal gunshot wound.
To justify microtransactions they said that it is not intented for you to play all heroes. If you would like to unlock all the content without spending money you'd have to play years.
Ubi tried to hide the playerbase count by removing this number from the social media screen. Again, taking us by fools.

My recommendation is a BIG NO. Just ask yourselves, would you make a friend of yours pay $60 for this crap? I wouldn't, why would I do something that will harm my friend??

Epoqx
06-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Honestly, that game is unique.
Its not a basic fighting game, its a mix of a lot of genres with unique features.
Right now the game isnt as unbalanced as the raging guys keep saying it.

You will have some hard time probably at the beginning, with the new mechanics and with some few champs which are easier to play and carry on low level. But the balance between chars ain't got that much of a gap.
You will clearly see a defined tier list of characters when you reach a really good level. Even there, you can have fun and stay competitive with a lot of chars.
Until that level, each single character in the game can rape anyone else if you know it.

The game as a lot of character customization, some really good maps, graphically beautifull and stable. Each character as is own design (it is in big part what it makes the unbalance of the game and at the same time, his strenght.

Thr biggest downside for me, is how long the devs take to throw away more stuff and fixes. But it seems like they really take care of the game, even if it is harder to balance overall due to the unique design way taken.

Danioku
06-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Yes it is in chaos.
It's not worth $60 and I'll tell you why: it is the year 2017 and for a fully AAA price tag you will be getting a game that has pauses during online gameplay. It has synch problems and matches crashing due to the worst netcode ever written. Single player campaign is a joke, you don't get to use all the heroes and the story looks to have been written by a 6-year-old, Ubi went cheap there too.
When you are not satisfied, you contact support or you come to the forums only to find out that instead of recieving some kind of support you are being lied to. They behave like mercenaries, they totally lack of customer support skills and they will even blame your dog before acknowledging they have a problem with their game.
Despite the cool graphics and their excellent marketing team who will be able to sell you a rock for gold, the community has had enough. Only 3 of my friends got to purchase the game, we told the rest DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY because we simply can't play For Honor. We love the game, love the concept, the mechanics, for sure balance needs to be done but what game doesn't? The problem is that we cannot stay together during an entire match. There is always one of us that gets kicked and most of the time the game crashes without giving us any reward completely wasting our time thanks to the disconnections. Did ubi fix this? Nope, they went cheap again and they will be implementing a quit penalty, which is like putting a band-aid on a .50cal gunshot wound.
To justify microtransactions they said that it is not intented for you to play all heroes. If you would like to unlock all the content without spending money you'd have to play years.
Ubi tried to hide the playerbase count by removing this number from the social media screen. Again, taking us by fools.

My recommendation is a BIG NO. Just ask yourselves, would you make a friend of yours pay $60 for this crap? I wouldn't, why would I do something that will harm my friend??

Add to this the slowest balancing team ever seen on earth, like 3 months for just some light adjustments while the game is still strongly unbalanced if not broken in some gamemodes.

Add the lack of comunication and no answers to the playerbase advices and requests before the "blackout" threat. After that, the 0 comunication bacame words like "we are working on it" " we need more data" "it will be fixed soon". Still too little has been done and they proceed too damnly slow.

So, i dunno, if uou are looking for a game to play casually and without high expectations in this case FH wouldnt be that bad (maybe not for 60$) but if you're looking for you "main" game, look at something else, and moreover something that dont belong to Ubisoft

Netcode_err_404
06-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Don't buy it.

Best advise I can give you

Epoqx
06-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Add to this the slowest balancing team ever seen on earth, like 3 months for just some light adjustments while the game is still strongly unbalanced if not broken in some gamemodes.

Add the lack of comunication and no answers to the playerbase advices and requests before the "blackout" threat. After that, the 0 comunication bacame words like "we are working on it" " we need more data" "it will be fixed soon". Still too little has been done and they proceed too damnly slow.

So, i dunno, if uou are looking for a game to play casually and without high expectations in this case FH wouldnt be that bad (maybe not for 60$) but if you're looking for you "main" game, look at something else, and moreover something that dont belong to Ubisoft

The game isnt unbalanced as you say it. As a lot of you say it. In all online games the meta is defined and there is character tier lists.

There isnt a single game totally balanced, or if there is it lacks a LOT of diversity.

Choose which is the more important.

Edit : concerning dc's in game, it is personnal. I mean some people get dc a lot, some others like me only a few times here and there. And these dc's exist nearly only in 4v4's modes.

Kitsune..
06-10-2017, 03:07 PM
I've heard all the maps were going to be free, which was the same for rainbow six siege, my current favorite game. While that may be one of the main pulls, I was also wondering how fast the turn around time is for the developers? You mention the data gathering periods taking long, but how long would you say it takes the developer to realize an issue (Such as a really overpowered character/severe bug that hampers the experience), and then release a patch for it? I do look forward to the new maps, I recently picked up a 1070 GTX for my G-Sync 1440p monitor and I've just been enjoying every damn thing, even games from the 90's so I can only imagine a Temple Garden map with great glee haha.
Maps are absolutely free, they add 2 of them each season (we are at the beginning of the second season so far), each map has different variants for 4v4, 2v2 and 1v1 modes. Actually all ingame content can be purchased for ingame currency, including new heroes, it might be a bit grindy though. Still all content, excluding new heroes ofc, is pure cosmetics, so it's not a big deal as for me.
Regarding bug fixes... well warden's "one hit kill" glitch was ironed out pretty quickly, flicker bug (which fcks up attack indicators) is here for a long time. I guess it really depends upon the technical side, I'm not much of a programmer, so I don't think I can speculate on how easy is it to fix some of our well known old glitches. Regarding balancing, well, if they say they are going to buff your hero you better sit and pray for them to make it right with the buff, otherways you'll spend few months arguing with the devs on how much nothing they've done with it :p They really rely on the statistics, they use data of 7% of players (the top 7%) and they need 15000 games for a hero vs each other hero to be played, so it takes them forever to get the info they need to be convinced that the hero needs some help/nerf. And it really pisses people off when they say that some OP/underdog hero is in a good place.
I'm not discussing any connectivity issues because I don't really have them.
What else... we have a weekly lifestream, where we actually can ask the dev team questions and have some kind of live conversation. Regarding community, I really like the CompetitiveForHonor subreddit. Even despite the overall elitism, people there can give great asvices and usually share nice tips etc, it's much more helpful, than this forum.
Also this game is not beginner friendly and MM is atrocious.

Pillow_Hands
06-10-2017, 03:16 PM
The game isnt unbalanced as you say it. As a lot of you say it. In all online games the meta is defined and there is character tier lists.

There isnt a single game totally balanced, or if there is it lacks a LOT of diversity.

Choose which is the more important.

Edit : concerning dc's in game, it is personnal. I mean some people get dc a lot, some others like me only a few times here and there. And these dc's exist nearly only in 4v4's modes.

Tier lists are born because there is an imbalance, and the list just helps people decide which character to invest into because no one wants to play the C or D tier heroes, sometimes not even the B tier heroes, because playing one of those against an A tier or S tier just means you'll either have to work insanely hard to achieve a win, or just flat out lose because of game mechanics. Characters in the S tiers are usually absurdly broken.

The most defining way to understand how balanced a game is, is the power disparity between the A tier and the C tier. If it's really minimal, then it's a fairly balanced game.

Considering the balance disparity between the A tier and the C tier in this game though, I'd say the game is fairly unbalanced.

Danioku
06-10-2017, 03:37 PM

There isnt a single game totally balanced,

I'm sorry to be harsh but people who dont see how this game is far to be balanced dont really play this game or they are either noobs or they try to defend the unbalance they are currently abusing .

I dunno what kind of multiplayers game did you play before. Did you ever see something like this in any game that pretend to be serious and competitive for just a little ?

I played many many games and every one of them had unbalances. If they was single player games it was just fine. But a multiplayer with pvp involved cant simply be way too far to be balanced.
I played a lot of multiplayes as well and League of Legends for many years at a competitive level where i was top 0,2% of the player population (millions of people). Whenever there was something wrong with any char the devs fixed it in few hours, 1-2 days maximum. If something was broken they just desabled it until fix.

They had also a PBE (Public Beta Environment) a test server where choosen players were able to experiment changes weeks before release and fix unbalances eventually.

So this is how i expect a serious multiplayer dev team works. Here.... i dunno, it seems they are first experience trainees or they just dunno how to run and balance a multiplayer

The comparison between Riot and Ubisoft it's like the one between professionals and naive and watching this beautiful game full of potential in their hands just make me sad.

EDG_Avocado
06-10-2017, 04:17 PM
bought game 1 month ago. Gameplay kinda worth 60$ but honestly, these devs and no servers are onl worth 5$

Epoqx
06-10-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry to be harsh but people who dont see how this game is far to be balanced dont really play this game or they are either noobs or they try to defend the unbalance they are currently abusing .

I dunno what kind of multiplayers game did you play before. Did you ever see something like this in any game that pretend to be serious and competitive for just a little ?

I played many many games and every one of them had unbalances. If they was single player games it was just fine. But a multiplayer with pvp involved cant simply be way too far to be balanced.
I played a lot of multiplayes as well and League of Legends for many years at a competitive level where i was top 0,2% of the player population (millions of people). Whenever there was something wrong with any char the devs fixed it in few hours, 1-2 days maximum. If something was broken they just desabled it until fix.

They had also a PBE (Public Beta Environment) a test server where choosen players were able to experiment changes weeks before release and fix unbalances eventually.

So this is how i expect a serious multiplayer dev team works. Here.... i dunno, it seems they are first experience trainees or they just dunno how to run and balance a multiplayer

The comparison between Riot and Ubisoft it's like the one between professionals and naive and watching this beautiful game full of potential in their hands just make me sad.

I am totally aware of the current state of For Honor. You can check any stats tracker website, i got the same name than on forum.

I played a lot of games too, some in competitive, others just for fun, but i always played with competitivity in mind. Yo quote LoL, i was thinking about it too.

LoL is an entirely different game, with tons of characters to balances, but at the same time, the design of mechanics for each character is really simple. Much less complex than For Honor, and much less complex than any fighting game in general. While writing this, i'm not putting For Honor in the same genre as fighting games tho.

LoL is PC only, so fixes and patchs can be easily and rapidly updated. Moreover, For Honor as enterily new mechanics for a pvp genre, making it even harder to balance.

Keep in mind that LoL is becoming really old right now, and at the first stages of the game, few years ago, it was horribly unbalanced, for years.

For honor is still 4 months old, so kinda new, with some innovative mechanics that needs data to throw fixes here and there. And since the begining, it didn't stopped improving balance and content wise. So it is gettin more and more positive.

I can understand that you think they could fix and patch things faster, but they are fixing, and patching the game at a reasonnable rate. The lack of test servers is a big mistake tho, but the devs said they want to implement it for ranked and tournaments modes.

kweassa1
06-10-2017, 04:30 PM

I've probably clocked in more hours than you, and I don't really dwell into any of the "unbalanced" classes you and your ilk whine about.

And I say you're wrong. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I've been playing multiplayer games since they've invented multiplayer games. The one, constant truth you learn after many, many years of online gaming is:

(a) people lie about their skill levels
(b) people don't know what they're talking about
(c) people don't like to face the bare, harsh truth that they're just not good enough to know what 'balance' means

And by this you've basically confirmed you don't know about other multiplayer games very well, also.

Riot. :rolleyes: Really? LOL

Is there a 'balance' problem in FH? Yep. There is.

Do people really usually play at a level to be complaining about 'balance'? Nope.

See, it's really easy to mutter the word "imbalance" as if it's some ultimate evil, "the one that should not be named", the anti-Christ of sorts. The easiest way to cop out from all the problems that may actually come from yourself, not the game.

But heck, what do I know. :rolleyes:

Only 20 years of online gaming since '96, 15 years of specializing in fighting games, 8 years of part of local fighting game tourneys, and 3 years spent as a gaming magazine reporter and analyst. So I'm sure my views are no match for your expertise. :rolleyes:

bmason1000
06-10-2017, 04:38 PM
This game is incredibly fun. Its really cool and i personally have never played one like it.

Are there problems? Sure. Every online game has issues and people being verrry vocal about those issues no matter their size. I have zero regrets about the money i spent or the hours i have and continue to sink in to the game. I absolutely love it, when when players piss me off. I'll be honest, that's the only aspect of the game i ever get mad about. How people choose to play sometimes. The game is fun enough for me to look past that thigh and keep playing. Its really good.

If you're jumping in now as a new player you're going to get your a** kicked very hard and very fast for little bit. Might be off putting, but stick with it and you'll figure it out. Grab the game and hop in, dude. Hope to see you out there.

Jarl.Felix
06-10-2017, 04:48 PM
I've probably clocked in more hours than you, and I don't really dwell into any of the "unbalanced" classes you and your ilk whine about.

And I say you're wrong. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I've been playing multiplayer games since they've invented multiplayer games. The one, constant truth you learn after many, many years of online gaming is:

(a) people lie about their skill levels
(b) people don't know what they're talking about
(c) people don't like to face the bare, harsh truth that they're just not good enough to know what 'balance' means

And by this you've basically confirmed you don't know about other multiplayer games very well, also.

Riot. :rolleyes: Really? LOL

Is there a 'balance' problem in FH? Yep. There is.

Do people really usually play at a level to be complaining about 'balance'? Nope.

See, it's really easy to mutter the word "imbalance" as if it's some ultimate evil, "the one that should not be named", the anti-Christ of sorts. The easiest way to cop out from all the problems that may actually come from yourself, not the game.

But heck, what do I know. :rolleyes:

Only 20 years of online gaming since '96, 15 years of specializing in fighting games, 8 years of part of local fighting game tourneys, and 3 years spent as a gaming magazine reporter and analyst. So I'm sure my views are no match for your expertise. :rolleyes:

So basicaly you just tell them you are top player and none should complain before he gets the same level like you. Because your words are far more important and "expertised"

Everyone is entitled to speak about their experience, and to be honest at this point the game has only hard fans, far too few casual players, so I dont' need a magazine reporter to tell us about the game state.

You said, and I quote : "None of the so-called "issues" people constantly and endless whine about are exclusive to FH."

Who cares ? He asked about THIS game .. if you say this to a new player when he asks your oppinion about spending 60 euros, that's nasty.

psyminion
06-10-2017, 04:57 PM
awesome game.

I've logged over 450hrs on PS4 and I keep coming back for more.

like others have said, steep learning curve and pleanty of rage moments - still nothing like it and the thrill of a good battle is quite epic.

9/10 would by at launch again

kweassa1
06-10-2017, 05:07 PM
So basicaly you just tell them you are top player and none should complain before he gets the same level like you. Because your words are far more important and "expertised"

Everyone is entitled to speak about their experience, and to be honest at this point the game has only hard fans, far too few casual players, so I dont' need a magazine reporter to tell us about the game state.

You said, and I quote : "None of the so-called "issues" people constantly and endless whine about are exclusive to FH."

Who cares ? He asked about THIS game .. if you say this to a new player when he asks your oppinion about spending 60 euros, that's nasty.

Well, I really don't like to tote around my own experience as a source of any credibility or authority -- unless someone starts using their own clocked hours as if it means something.

Since he started the complaint by attempting to establish his own credibility by stating meaningless stuff like "I've played multiplayer games a lot (so I know what I'm talking about)" -- the logical rebuttal would be citing an equally -- if not more -- long experience to express doubt.

Of course he's entitled to his opinion -- which is why I'm using my own entitled opinion to question and refute it. Simple as that.

Besides, the whole FH experience for me, since v1.03, was nothing but impressive and enjoyable with just a few minor quirks. So just as he is basing his opinion on his experience, I base it upon mine. Any grievance or frustration I've met in regards to balance, I'm smart and experienced enough to know that its usually my own fault.

Many people who seem to think that if their frustration and anger in regards to terrible defeat is something not enjoyable, and therefore the game's not delivering them their money's worth -- which is unfortunate in that fighting games require a different mindset in the first place -- which nowadays I'm inclined to think is the reason behind FH's lower player numbers.

Let's face it.

The whiners and complainers just aren't fighting-game "material."

Fighting games are on a general decline since its peak in the late '90s and early 2000s. It's a very minor and unpopular game format that requires huge hours of investment and practice, and yet still may not deliver satisfying ratio of wins because the difference in skill level and the outcome of such is often displayed in a brutal, brutal manner. You can have all the confidence in the world, and yet one person can just destroy it and make you feel worthless in minutes. The whole process of meeting those situations and using it as motivation to become better is behind what makes people play this genre.

In this day and age where games become more "casual", "easy to access", "beginner friendly", FH from the start goes against that entire trend. So I'm not really surprised to find people in denial after suffering mental breakdowns that keep trying to tell themselves "it's not my fault, it's the game's fault."

If UbiMont made any mistake at all with FH's design, it was their decision to make it in this genre, not some easier, more beginner friendly medieval-themed hack&slash brawler.

RatedChaotic
06-10-2017, 05:39 PM
If you enjoy saying......Thats bs I blocked that......This game is for you.

kweassa1
06-10-2017, 05:41 PM
If you enjoy saying......Thats bs I blocked that......This game is for you.

Or conversely, if you don't know how to "man up" (or "women up"... if anyone's a female gamer) to defeats, this game's definitely not for ya. :rolleyes:

RatedChaotic
06-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Or conversely, if you don't know how to "man up" (or "women up"... if anyone's a female gamer) to defeats, this game's definitely not for ya. :rolleyes:

There are flaws in the indicator system bro. It has nothing to do with manning up. There are many videos with proof.

kweassa1
06-10-2017, 06:04 PM
There are flaws in the indicator system bro. It has nothing to do with manning up. There are many videos with proof.

AS IF the flaws were the only things that make you lose. Right?

How do you explain your defeats against classes with slow-arse ZAs that don't have any flicker troubles at all? :rolleyes:

RatedChaotic
06-10-2017, 06:09 PM
AS IF the flaws were the only things that make you lose. Right?

How do you explain your defeats against classes with slow-arse ZAs that don't have any flicker troubles at all? :rolleyes:

WoW! Great comeback. You should research alittle more. Kiddo

You should look at BigHatLogans video showing how screwed up the indicators are on youtube.

That_guy44
06-10-2017, 07:28 PM
This man had all the answers apparently. So you're saying flicker zones on console is fair. Especially when you cant physically react to block said zone. Especially when you have a character with a slow guard stance change that can't even move to make the blocks even if you tried.

Arekonator
06-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Good job taking legitimate issue (that has been acknowledged by devs) and turning it around to make it lame "git gud" ad-hominem.
The game have numerous issues, and while i agree that not all of those that forums like to scream about are legit, or nearly as severe, some of them indeed are, being it balance problems, or different ones. Being ***** about it with "you scrubs dont know what you are talking about, you just need to git gud" suprisingly does not makes the issues go away, all it does it just breeds more of the attitude you complain about.
Some of the issues, especially those of technical nature are borderline inexcusable. I really hate to use the "CURRENT YEAR" argument, but having a player leave to crash whole rest of the lobby is just terrible work, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.
Some of the balance changes can be questionable and even though i overall like the way the game is going, sometimes it feels like the devs just make huge steps back for no reason.

Now to the OP, despite what i said, i still enjoy the game a great deal, despite its numerous flaws and despite it being incredibly frustrating at times.Unless you are really into this type of games, i woudnt reccomend buying it for full price tho. And if you decide to anywas, prepare to have your face having stomped repeatedly for some time, because majority of players are already gone, so those who stayed likely sunk huge ammount of time into the game and will make your entry experience considerably harder. But if you really like this kind of games and dont consider sixty bucks huge deal, give it a go.

Juuzaam
06-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I was thinking about buying this game since I had fun in beta, and I also liked the unique combat. However, I've glanced around a few places and found out that the game is dropping players fast and the ones that are here are either toxic, don't care, or just like the game enough to look past all the current technical flaws such as the lag and all the exploits that brings to the combat system. How is it really?

I think by just reading through this thread you already got your answer. The community became toxic as hell... Everyone is somehow insulting each other...
Just pure facts: The playerbase didnt just dropped, it became so small and unimportant that it became a problem on its own. Only DieHards & TryHards are left with a lot of salt.
The game still got every major problem people complained about right from the start. It starts with the AAA price & ingame shop of a f2p titel. The grind is real...for a AAA titel!
Matchmaking, balance of heros, gear stats are still problems the community is eating themself about it.

Imo, the game on its core is realy awesome, gameplay & graphic is just to great to be not mentioned, but there are way to many problems and the way the devs are fixing these is utterly disapointing.
Before you think of buying the game, just read the player rewievs on steam, read this thread and think twice if you realy want to get into this, which i totaly doubt.

I assume there are quite a lot players inactive waiting for a better time for this game, we might or not might get. Atm you should wait as well. Do not buy this game!!! If you get it for free, wait before you play it!!

AzureSky.
06-10-2017, 08:43 PM
I was thinking about buying this game since I had fun in beta, and I also liked the unique combat. However, I've glanced around a few places and found out that the game is dropping players fast and the ones that are here are either toxic, don't care, or just like the game enough to look past all the current technical flaws such as the lag and all the exploits that brings to the combat system. How is it really? Asking for community input to guide my purchase or non purchase.

How is the game now?

In a game value standpoint, dont buy it, its not worth the 60$, if theres a disccount of 50% still not enough, the actual value of the game with all the problems the game has its around 20$

MisterArdor
06-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Agreed.

I enjoy the game but who knows how much renown has been left on the table because of the game destabilizing and receiving the famous [0006000118] code. It also happens at the beginning of the game after you have waited a couple minutes to get into a game and as soon as the game starts you get booted. I visualize throwing my controller through the tv but then think, that's just stupid.

If they can at least solidify the destabilization, we could at least enjoy each game without having to worry if we will be able to finish it when someone rage quits, etc. Maybe P2P was not a good idea, I don't know, I'm not smart enough to weigh in, but as a casual gamer and player of R6 Siege and For Honor, it is extremely dissatisfying to have these network environment problems.

I'll keep playing, but damn!

l8knight347
06-10-2017, 09:08 PM

How is the game now?

For Honor is the most frustration and FUN game i've played. I actually got so mad I broke a controller. got a new one as was back playing the next day. it is a great game and is well worth putting up with all it's problems.

The_B0G_
06-10-2017, 11:06 PM

How is the game now?

If I were you I would wait until they balance the new heroes, none of my friends like this game since they released, if you buy now you will probably get turned off by them.

FledgeSRondo
06-10-2017, 11:38 PM
After 500+ hours in the game this is my assessment.

Positives:
* Design, graphics and aesthetic are great, tasteful and wonderfully polished. Some maps are simply lovely, and the sound, music and voice acting are also absolutely top notch, in many cases meme worthy. I can't stress enough that the art and sound folks are unsung heroes for this game.
* The core concept is incredible, and when everything runs smoothly it's incredibly fun and addictive, with plenty of skill-based fighting, strategy and depth. It's very cleverly designed how all the gameplay elements fit together (the duel aspect, the battlefield fighting aspect, the level layouts, the gear systems, etc.), and clearly a lot of intelligent, ingenious thought went into the game.
* It's a fiercely bold, pioneering, original concept in a sea of derivative franchises. In some respects I really think the game is ahead of its time.
* There are many unique, noteworthy, hilarious and glorious moments to be had while playing, when everything synchronizes perfectly it's almost transcendent.
* Ubisoft regularly patches and adds new content to the game. They are passionate, dedicated to and invested in For Honor, communicating regularly with the community and keeping a pulse on public reception. Changes come slowly but they have come, and it is comforting to know people are working on it.

Negatives:
* For Honor is incredibly frustrating if not all out exasperating for a variety of reasons I'll list out here. It is very easy to lose your cool, and even the most mild-mannered can boil over into rage territory. You will require lots and lots of patience for this game.
* The most frustrating aspect is the connectivity and lag. It's just bad. The game is P2P instead of dedicated servers, and having started playing Overwatch on the same platform (PS4) I see a remarkable difference, like night and day. Matches lag and framedrop noticeably in For Honor with maddening regularity, and on console with a 30fps cap it can be painful. When multiple characters appear on screen everything slows down, throwing off your inputs completely in a game that demands hairtrigger timing and sensitive execution. Opponents sometimes teleport erratically from frame skips. Sometimes you'll spam the dodge roll button to escape from an engagement only to watch your character inexorably continue standing vulnerable in place, heck, sometimes you'll input an attack only to watch it literally happen a second or two later, it's just awful. Matches pause anytime somebody leaves, oftentimes throwing you completely off in a battle you might be winning (sometimes even saving your enemy's life), and though recent patches fixed stability to some extent it's still possible for disconnect errors to break the game when somebody quits. The worst is when you input moves that you know should connect (e.g., Peacekeeper guard-break to wall throw should guaranteed follow up with Dashing Thrust to stab), but because of some latency your opponent is not only able to block but even sometimes parry because their end of the "simulation" shows you moving slightly more slowly than what you see on your end (I've been on both the giving and receiving end of this problem). It's the stuff that rage-quits are made of.
* The game is buggy. Sometimes armor turns frosty white. Sometimes minions are stuck frozen in place. Sometimes the overworld map screen uses a blur out effect that doesn't clear up, literally fogging up matches so you can't see anything and have to quit. Sometimes you enter a match stuck in perpetual respawn wait hovering over the battlefield while not actually being able to fight, though you can see your character standing at the spawn point. Sometimes gear images are off center. Recently there was a huge exploit discovered that gave players a 1-Hit KO... and in order to fix that they had to temporarily introduce other small bugs into the game. My brother just started playing the game recently and was all raised eyebrows when these kinds of bugs started happening to him right out the gate, it diminishes confidence significantly and doesn't look professional at all.
* The game mechanics change so regularly and with such far-reaching consequences to the meta that at times you feel like a guinea pig testing ideas out for Ubisoft. First it was Revenge, then the gear system overhaul, then they introduced DLC characters with radical turtle-breaking movesets with huge unprecedented repercussions in multiplayer modes, now they're modifying the Guard-break stance timing for all the characters... Sometimes it feels like the dev team is just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks, and players have to suffer through these growing pains while they monitor the effects and figure out how everything should be. Despite it's AAA sheen, at this point the game is absolutely an evolving work in progress, not a finished product.
* Owing to the game's novel mechanics, evolving meta, ongoing modifications and conflicting dual identities as a fighting game and a MOBA, For Honor is still being balanced. The new Season 2 characters especially have received a lot of flack for almost making certain game modes unplayable and certain mechanics useless (e.g., the strength and defense stat boosts of Revenge when outnumbered mean nothing when you're wailed on by multiple Centurions).
* Matchmaking is hit or miss. Sometimes you'll be thrown into the middle of a one-sided, already lost match-in-progress that other people left for obvious problems (bad lag, AFK farmers, low-skill team members, Centurion gank squads, etc.). Sometimes the Rep/Gear level spread is completely one sided. You can have a great or bad time depending on how you get matched.
* There are other minor things that some people consider issues, though they haven't been troubling for me personally, things like not enough gear variety, long grinds for steel, annoying daily orders/contracts, not enough game modes, using real-world money to buy gear ("pay2play"), etc.
* The community is really toxic. There are some good friendly folk around, but not enough.

All that said... I'm still playing. Might just be me, but the addictive, unique, fun, strategic and glorious aspects of the game are enough to keep me coming back for more despite all the issues (which at times really have brought me to the brink of throwing in the towel). The game at its core is a blast, but whether or not you can look past the problems really depends on your patience, temperament and tolerance.

UbiNoty
06-10-2017, 11:42 PM

How is the game now?

We're actively working to address the issues and communicate with the community the changes that we're making.
We're still looking for ways to improve stability even further. I'll admit there were problems in the beginning, but since then we've done a lot towards fixing it and we've definitely seen improvement. It's still not perfect yet, but we're still looking to make it better.
And yes, you'll see a ton of salt on the forums about the new heroes (especially for dominion/4v4 players) but they're not actually that bad if you're a 1v1 type player - if not, we are working on balancing them, so there's that.

Hopefully that will give you a bit of insight from my perspective. I don't believe we're in chaos at all, just going through some growing pains.

Nativ_Toola
06-11-2017, 12:25 AM
We're actively working to address the issues and communicate with the community the changes that we're making.
We're still looking for ways to improve stability even further. I'll admit there were problems in the beginning, but since then we've done a lot towards fixing it and we've definitely seen improvement. It's still not perfect yet, but we're still looking to make it better.

They do nothing of that. All they do is making one stream each week to repeat "It's gonna come soon" again and again until the word Soon mean Infinity +1 and then suddenly dropping a balance patch without testing it with player before so that when it go online, we gonna test it live and suffer for their mistake until the next patch (and actually, we still suffer for the first patch)

Apparently it's to hard to make a Test Server to let the patch being tested for 1 or 2 week before releasing it on live server to make sure he is not bugged or unbalanced...

and it's to hard to make a real point on patch apparently to. like a youtube video with a interview of each pole of developer, asking on what they work, how, what difficulties they have. what they want to do on short and long therm, What means are available to them to do what they want. and the limitation imposed by ubisoft.

See like true transparency.

And a public apologize for all this **** can be appreciated to.

EDG_Avocado
06-11-2017, 02:21 AM
And yes, you'll see a ton of salt on the forums about the new heroes (especially for dominion/4v4 players) but they're not actually that bad if you're a 1v1 type player - if not, we are working on balancing them, so there's that.

Hopefully that will give you a bit of insight from my perspective. I don't believe we're in chaos at all, just going through some growing pains.
if losing over 80% of the PC's playerbase in 4 months isn't chaos, IDK what is.

ZUNniK.
06-11-2017, 03:12 AM
Jump in and come join us on our salty battlegrounds. Make sure your nerves are in Full Guard Stance and your frustration resistance is geared up to 144. Its still satisfaying to chop a cents head off, dancing on your enemies bodies, seconds later getting gangraped from his bros while your mates watching from B, ready to nuke their butts... and yours. Find youreself moments later disconnected in mainmenu , just to do it all over again. Its addictive. and fun. go buy it. we need more bodies to dance on :)

Vingrask
06-11-2017, 04:10 AM

How is the game now?

Are you ready to play the game as it is instead cry for change everything as your wish?

Are you ready to learn a lot, to practice and improve to be a good player instead a quitter or a whiner?

Are you ready to do feedbacks based on experience and good arguments to help the game improve being fair?

Are you ready to wait the devs work and even when your hope get low still play the game and believe?

Are you ready to follow the steps devs suggests to fix your side of the game even that not being your fault?

If yes, buy the game and you will have a lot of fun.

For Honor is challenging, it is the game's first feature. Majority of the complains is made by weak players, especialy those who spam or smash buttons instead really play. Try look for their profile on fhtracker and you will see they are 4v4 modes players. Those players aren't the good ones, they are here playing hack'n slash. If you are the same kind of player, listen to them.

If you plan play Duels, like me and the real good players I met everyday, you will have a lot of fun. We aren't 100% happy with the game because things like the defense which is too strong today, but devs listened and they are reworking the core of the game for us! We asked for changes to the Faction War and did a lot of construtive suggestions, and UbiNoty already said they already have a team doing that!

Devs listen to us. Game IS fun if you like it as it is, not like it should be based on your opinion. Basicaly every week we have a patch improving the game, and I really believe For Honor will last for years and evolve a lot in this time.

ONYX_x5
06-11-2017, 04:44 AM
To the guy thinking about buying this game.
With all the gaming media out there that is covering or reported what is going on in FOR HONOR you still come here, to a truly divided forum, and post that question? Yaaaa. No! That is straight up passive aggressive trolling at its finest.
You threw gas on that one thing that divides this the player base. BALANCE. Not disconnects, not match making, Balance.
Troll on big man, with this environment it's as easy as at comes. Lmao

PrezidentTrump
06-11-2017, 09:09 AM
I thank everyone for replying to my post and giving me your thoughts, I've read them all and feel I have come to a conclusion. The word "Chaos" was the right word to describe this community, but I can see the majority of you are also passionate about the game and only want it to get better, if only because the core of the game is fresh. From what I've read it really seemed like Ubisoft dropped the ball at the beginning, and have been slower to make progress, almost as if they weren't prepared for the onslaught of problems and not having the resources set up ahead of time to fix them more quickly; not having the test servers working is one example. The one thing that I'm struggling with is Peer to Peer, it ruins games in the long run and has so many known issues when compared to dedicated servers, all to save some money to not have to rent servers.

My conclusion is to wait for an amazing sale, someone mentioned 20 dollars which seems right to me (Sadly, since the game is so young), or up until a time where the developers pull their heads out of the sand and use dedicated servers. I will buy it at a higher price if they fix the majority of the issues I've seen here, and considering an employee of Ubisoft responded to me and gave me his honest thoughts (which I truly appreciate), I have some hope for the future of this game as long as everyone is on the same page of wanting to make For Honor the game we all know it can be. Again, I thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my questions and give me their thoughts, it has proved invaluable. Love you all, and have an amazing night/day/life!

PrezidentTrump
06-11-2017, 09:11 AM
To the guy thinking about buying this game.
With all the gaming media out there that is covering or reported what is going on in FOR HONOR you still come here, to a truly divided forum, and post that question? Yaaaa. No! That is straight up passive aggressive trolling at its finest.
You threw gas on that one thing that divides this the player base. BALANCE. Not disconnects, not match making, Balance.
Troll on big man, with this environment it's as easy as at comes. Lmao

I wish you the best of luck with the many facets of your deluded paranoia.

ONYX_x5
06-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Man. I do like this guy. He just told Ubisoft off in the nicest, most passive aggressive way I have seen. He's good.

ONYX_x5
06-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks Death!