PDA

View Full Version : Please add TrackIR support for Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

Gyson
06-09-2017, 08:02 PM
I would like to request TrackIR (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/) support for this game. While VR headsets are certainly more immersive than TrackIR, TrackIR (just like VR headesets) offers it's own increase in immersion above a monitor screen alone. In fact, the TrackIR experience is so enjoyable that many TrackIR users have a difficult time going back to simulators that don't offer TrackIR support. And the problem (for some) with VR headsets is that not everyone wants to be in a position where they're robbed of their real-life senses while playing a game.

Some may wonder why a gamer wouldn't want 100% immersion, but the reality is many gamers have families, partners, children, pets, etc and are not able to enjoy the kinds of distraction-free gaming they experienced in their youth. While my work, for example, allows me to play around with VR headsets, I prefer not use them at home because I have a personal desire and need to be responsible and generally aware of what's going on in my house even when I have some free time to game.

So, VR is not for everyone. But that's not the same thing as saying Star Trek simulation games aren't for everyone. A game where you and your friends can command a starship in a Star Trek setting has always been strongly desired for a long, long while - VR added into that is just icing on the cake for many. So, of course you're going to have people who want to enjoy this game without having to either invest in VR equipment or make themselves largely oblivious to the outside world while they play the game.

Personally, I was really disappointed that Bridge Crew doesn't offer TrackIR support. While the experience is not as intense as VR, ultimately both it and VR headsets are relying on head-tracking to control the player's camera, while the consoles are controlled with the provided gamepad support (or motion control devices if you happen to own those too). The truth is TrackIR provided 6DoF head-tracking functionality long before hardware like the Oculus Rift was a twinkle in Palmer Luckey's eye. And yet somehow support for it was passed up.

Please consider adding support for TrackIR. The TrackIR SDK (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/developers/) is free for developers, and Natural Point always seems both eager and interested in helping to provide developers with any needed support for their product.

As a semi-related side-note, something is wrong with the search function on these forums. I enter terms like "TrackIR" into the search box and it returns zero results, even when I'm staring at a post with the term "TrackIR" printed in it. If the search function worked reliably and properly it would certainly make it easier to keep same-topic discussions in one place.

R-VR-Closet
06-10-2017, 05:27 PM
It's not even supported to play on a single screen, so what's the point of adding trackir??
Just buy a HMD, you won't regret it!

Gyson
06-14-2017, 05:01 PM
It's not even supported to play on a single screen, so what's the point of adding trackir??
Just buy a HMD, you won't regret it!

I believe I addressed both your question and recommendation in my original post. As for the specific concern you raised.. Bridge Crew already outputs to the monitor, and I have confidence that the developers will be able to resolve any potential obstacles (assuming the interest is there).

Ensign_Obvious
06-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Lol, all VR games "output to the monitor.". That doesn't mean they can be interacted with in 2d. You think you are asking for Track IR support, but whether you realize it or not you're requesting a non-VR version of Star Trek: Bridge Crew. Somehow I believe you know how that's going to turn out.

Gyson
06-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Lol, all VR games "output to the monitor.". That doesn't mean they can be interacted with in 2d. You think you are asking for Track IR support, but whether you realize it or not you're requesting a non-VR version of Star Trek: Bridge Crew. Somehow I believe you know how that's going to turn out.

I'm not sure you understand the discussion you're attempting to participate in. Perhaps that's due to an unfamiliarity with TrackIR, VR headsets, or the game itself? I'm suggesting that because your comment doesn't make much sense.

In Bridge Crew your character is confined to a seat and unable to move through the 3D environment, and for all intents and purposes the VR headset is simply acting as your camera (albeit a highly immersive one with 6 DoF). TrackIR (coupled with a monitor, obviously) allows for similar functionality. I realize the VR headset may make you feel like you're on the bridge of a starship, but surely you realize it's not actually placing you on one? Instead, your headset is providing two slightly different angles of the same rendered scene on each eye display. Your brain does the rest by perceiving depth where it doesn't actually exist. Coupled with tech that provides positional tracking for your head (which, if you didn't realize, TrackIR also has) and that allows for a more immersive experience - but it's not magic that can't be replicated (with an understandable reduction of immersion) outside of the VR headset.

That said, when it comes to gaming I think it's a bit silly to discount immersion born of your own imagination. It's not like we, as gamers, have never been immersed in a game's world before the introduction of VR. I'm getting off-topic, however.

It sounds like, instead, that you're trying to make an argument for the VR handheld controllers (through which the real "physical" interaction with the 3D world takes place). However, Bridge Crew already provides gamepad support for players without VR controllers, so that point is moot as the latter device is not required (and outside the scope of my request).

Hope that clears the confusion up!

Ensign_Obvious
06-18-2017, 04:11 AM
Let's say that what you propose is a very simple matter, and that Ubi could implement it easily. You're still missing the point of why the game is "VR exclusive." You see, when everyone is in VR together, there is a sense of all being together in the same confined space. Any non-vr player would diminish the psychological effect that reality holds. There's a big thread in the Steam Werewolves Within forum that explains this pretty well. The thread began with someone exclaiming that there was "no reason" for Werewolves Within to be VR exclusive. Well, to anyone who played WW, that is one naive statement. You do realize that without VR, both WW and ST:BC would be exposed as having barely any gameplay value, right? I mean, I hate to break it to you, but when it comes ST:BC, there just isn't a whole lot there to write home about game play-wise. I'm very certain that if you actually got your wish, it wouldn't be but one week later that you'd be embarrassed by the stink you put up. I mean, for what? So you can play this game on a monitor for the full revelation of how mediocre it is? Lol, man. It's a social VR game. You seem to think there's some meat on those bones. There's barely any, sorry to break it to you. Let it lie...

Gyson
06-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Let's say that what you propose is a very simple matter, and that Ubi could implement it easily. You're still missing the point of why the game is "VR exclusive." You see, when everyone is in VR together, there is a sense of all being together in the same confined space. Any non-vr player would diminish the psychological effect that reality holds. There's a big thread in the Steam Werewolves Within forum that explains this pretty well. The thread began with someone exclaiming that there was "no reason" for Werewolves Within to be VR exclusive. Well, to anyone who played WW, that is one naive statement. You do realize that without VR, both WW and ST:BC would be exposed as having barely any gameplay value, right? I mean, I hate to break it to you, but when it comes ST:BC, there just isn't a whole lot there to write home about game play-wise. I'm very certain that if you actually got your wish, it wouldn't be but one week later that you'd be embarrassed by the stink you put up. I mean, for what? So you can play this game on a monitor for the full revelation of how mediocre it is? Lol, man. It's a social VR game. You seem to think there's some meat on those bones. There's barely any, sorry to break it to you. Let it lie...

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here and imprinting your personal feelings onto, well, everyone else. Just as we may disagree on what makes for good music, we can also disagree on what is and isn't fun in terms of gaming. I, for example, probably have hundreds of hours logged into games that you couldn't stand playing for more than a few minutes, and vice versa.

So, while it may be true that without a VR headset you would fail to find much entertainment in Bridge Crew, you shouldn't assume the same would be true for everyone else. When it comes to what I do and don't find entertaining, the only true authority on that subject can be me and me alone. Just as I wouldn't presume to sit here and tell you what you would and wouldn't find fun. Perhaps (in this case) the Star Trek license simply has a stronger allure for me than you.

Also, I think you're really discounting the immersion value some gamers get from TrackIR. I can tell you from experience that it goes a long way in improving my level of entertainment in games that I would otherwise probably not enjoy nearly as much. You, I feel, are approaching and judging this from the sense of simply staring at Bridge Crew on a monitor, and while it is true that TrackIR makes use of a display (as a VR headset does, ultimately) it is a far different experience from just using a monitor alone. Perhaps you don't find the device as appealing as I do. And that's fine - for the reasons I listed in my original post I have a similar dislike of VR headsets.

At any rate, your opinion on this is appreciated - but I don't share it. Thus, I stand by my original request and do hope it is something the developers will at least consider.

Ensign_Obvious
06-29-2017, 12:07 AM
Well, let me put it a different way, then: if you're not in Virtual Reality like me when you play this game, I don't want to play with you. Sorry, but it actually is a club -- not an elitist club, mind you. It's a "collective experience" club, and VR is the entry fee.

Honestly, I do understand why those who haven't experienced a social VR game don't really understand this concept, but if it helps at all, imagine you're the only one with clothes on at a skinny dipping party. With social VR, that space that isn't there between you and the screen really does make you feel kind of naked, psychologically. When you know everyone else around you is in the same boat, it's... well it's just something that can't be had with non-VR participants.

By advertising stbc as "VR Only," I was guaranteed that experience every time I play, and that's what I expect from here on out. Now, if you want a "no-VR" version of the game, I'm down with that. Might even play it, actually.

TheRealExadon
06-29-2017, 02:13 AM
I honestly know next to nothing about Track IR, but if it did increase the player base significantly and help bring DLC to the game than I am for it.

WeirdWizardDave
06-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Honestly all other arguments aside I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony, Oculus and steam/htc hadn't thrown some money at Ubisoft to develop this game in the first place to help drive VR sales.

What you really want is to find some clever folks who can write an openVR driver to run a single screen with trackIR head tracking as an openVR device, then you could play the steam version quite happily. In fact it might already exist, its the sort of thing internet people do all the time.

Captain_Summers
06-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Ok, I think this is a bad idea - but not because I'm 'anti' TrackIR (I have it and I love it and I prefer it to VR in almost every way, except for this game), but because I've been pretty active on several other games / simulations, that would have or have in the past massively benefited from TrackIR. i.e. DCS, Star Citizen and (gods forgive me) Elite Dangerous.

With the exception of DCS where most people see it's value, the vast majority of people playing Star Citizen and especially those..'people' playing Elite Dangerous think TrackIR is an expensive gimmick and refuse to pay for it. They think it's overprice and if they already have a webcam, why shouldn't that do it. In fact there are open source applications to do just that, but none are as stable or accurate as TrackIR.

So games where you are the sole person in a 'fighter' type spaceship and games that have hundreds of thousands of players (allegedly) and over 90% don't have and refuse to buy TrackIR, if these 'people' can't see the merits, you really think the even smaller number of people who would play this game are going to spend an additional 150 on it?

Get real.

These same people are already moaning on here about DLC (wanting it for free) and crying out that Season Passes or Subscriptions would drive them away.

OP - I guess you want to play this without the headset. So basically Bridge Commander. The mouse worked fine to move the head in that, and the keyboard issues controls. Why not argue for that change so they could release it as a 2D / VR game, and you could pick which input method your preferred?

After all, even if you had head tracking, you're not going to have hand tracking, so you'd be just playing it with the keyboard or a gamepad. There are already enough spare buttons on the gamepad that you could easily map one to 'headlock' so that by holding it and moving a thumbstick you could look around - again, these people wouldn't need to spend 150.

It's an idea that doesn't work. The majority of players in games that are DESIGNED for head tracking won't pay... you really think the 9yr olds and drunk middle aged men that comprises most of the randoms on here are going to?

Gyson
01-07-2018, 10:51 PM
While moot to begin with, the objections raised in this thread are all rather pointless with the release of the non-VR patch. Despite the concerns some in this thread had, it would seem people are enjoying the non-VR Star Trek experience well enough.

I would like to again voice my interest in seeing TrackIR support added to this game. I have seen others voicing theirs on the Steam forums as well, although I'm not certain how much attention the developers are paying to either location.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/527100/discussions/search/?q=trackir&gidforum=142261352646749952&include_deleted=1