PDA

View Full Version : For Honor - HDR?

Herbstlicht
06-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Hm, kinda wonder. This game is one the prettiest out there right now. Why not adding HDR support for even better contrast, no more visible gradients in the fading skybox-colors. Not saying it is "needed", but prettier would not be bad I guess.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 10:31 AM
I'd like to see that but you do realize that you need LCD that supports HDR to actually see the benefits?

SirHeckerich
06-08-2017, 11:22 AM
On my 3 month old 4k HDR+ Screen I can choose between HDR+ mode and gaming mode. I decided for gaming mode to reduce the Inputlag.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 11:35 AM
But that's TV, isn't it? I'm still waiting for reviews of the gaming monitors that should arrive this year because anything that touches output adds lags and I wonder what they did about that.

Herbstlicht
06-08-2017, 11:59 AM
New TV-sets are fast with HDR, so fast in gaming mode that it doesn't even matter. Monitors are out there too, however, even more expensive then some TV's and only giving you like 15ms advantage over the better TV's. So for console gamers, whose XBox's and PS4's are all HDR compatible and more and more playing on HDR Tv-Sets, that would be a welcome addition. Horizon for example was breathtaking in 4k HDR.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Do you have any review of the gaming monitor with HDR support?
15ms latency is quite big in PC world. ;)

Herbstlicht
06-08-2017, 12:07 PM
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD99-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

This one is the most affordable right now. A lot of reviews out there, more on their way as well. But rather expensive still.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Yeah...but the 4k is overkill and it's only 60Hz. I'd like to see 144Hz+ and 1440p with g-sync and HDR support. (also I'd like to see some money in my pocket to buy monster like that :D)

DrinkinMyStella
06-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I have a ps4 pro and a 4k hdr tv and the ps4 automatically sets every game up for HDR.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 01:09 PM
If the game itself doesn't support that it's only gimmick.

DrinkinMyStella
06-08-2017, 01:19 PM
If the game itself doesn't support that it's only gimmick.

if the game doesn't support HDR then the TV and pro will optimise the game like HDR not true HDR but close to it.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 01:30 PM
That's why I said that's a gimmick. The idea behind HDR is so creator could adjust signal in a way that it will be displayed the best it could with properly adjusted colors, white balance and things like that. When PS4 do this automatically it only simulates everything. It's like making 3d movie from 2d one in real time.
But I still would like to see the results of this alteration both in terms of visual and how much latency it introduce.

Herbstlicht
06-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Hm, no, not really. The TV can in fact do a lot of processing. I did set a specific profile only for For Honor where I pushed it as close to a seemingly HDR-experience as I could without having to turn off game mode. But there is only so much your TV can do in game mode. Outside of it .. well, you could have like 60fps gameplay, only with added 50-100ms latency. So it makes everything too unresponsive.
144hz panels supporting 4K HDR with GSync and NSync featuring like 1ms delay will be some ultra-expensive stuff for some time still. But they are here already (not with 1ms response time, but well ..).
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27UQ/
Dunno though how good any of those monitors is. I have absolutely no clue. I am happy with my TV-Set and am sure this tech will be even superior to it. But personally, I will not spend this much money on a gaming monitor ever. Loving couch gaming too much to care about some 15'ish ms difference - or maybe 20 the time they achieve real 1ms latency on those things.

However, just to put stuff in line:
https://displaylag.com/display-database/
This site tests real life lag. It differs drastically from what the manufacturer tells you. Even the best monitors got like 9ms before they respond. So .. 9, or 19 (like with those LG-TV's) - the gap is getting smaller every generation.

Back to For Honor in HDR:
I am rather sure the work required wouldn't even be too much. A lot of engines internally render in a way, it could simply be outputtet in HDR as well, but it just gets toned down to SDR. Performance normally doesn't take a hit as well, so - possibly - it could be a nice easy to implement improvement that might even attract a few tech and visual savy users.

Draghmar
06-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Yeah but what TV/console do is only simulation. In order to be true HDR experience the signal has to have enough data to process. Yes you can change contrast, gamma, saturation but only based on the initial data. And if there was no info about what is in the dark area then you won't get anything by leveling it up.

I read all the news about hardware - it's my hobby. ;) So I know about those displays. I'm waiting for the reviews to read them.
And about expensive monitors...unfortunately I have very good eyesight so I can easily see good panel from bad one. I worked for many years on Eizo with SPVA panel when there was almost no IPS on the market so I'm very soiled in terms on visual quality. Now I have AOC AG271QG that has 1440p with 165Hz on IPS and I'm almost happy with it...almost. ;)

Thx for the site. I'll bookmark it. :)

Yes, most (if not all) game engines generate frames with enough data to make it easily HDR. So it shouldn't be much work.

Sykoink
06-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Normally i'd love HDR in any game but i feel i don't really need it for this game. I have the Samsung KS8000 4k SUHD and i chose this set because its also perfect for gaming. The TV has the lowest input lag compared to other 4K Tv's even with HDR turned on.....BUT i also have a BenQ monitor for competitive gaming and i always play For Honor on my BenQ Monitor because you can still feel the difference when playing on the Tv or the benq monitor and in this game timing is everything. HDR would add a little more input lag.

I wouldn't be against it, it would make the game make even more pretty and it would be cool if i just wanted to play For Honor when relaxing and not trying to be on top of my game.

Herbstlicht
06-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Well, the time I had my old TV, I did play out of curiousity on the PC-Monitor. Yes, it was advantageous. However, the new TV-Set delivers 21ms delay in HDR mode with non-HDR being even faster. My Monitor at a real 11 ms when those tests done by inputlags.com are to be believed. So the difference is marginal.
Still, there are a lot of TV's out there with 60ms+ where display lag is a serious issue (hence some of my suggestions on the indicators) and people would be better of when sticking to a monitor.
However, nothing beats couch gaming. Even for For Honor. Besides, I needn't win everytime. I feel decent enough to have my fun and the matchmaking puts me together with rougly equally skilled people. So even on a monitor, after winning a few games extra, I would soon get matched against appropriate opponents again. Better staying "down" where I feel I belong better - less turtling and stuff :)