PDA

View Full Version : IL2 Manager & IL2 Stab

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Both are versions compatible with FB. Don't use both at the same time! I initially had IL2 Manager installed, and picked historic ranks and authentic markings. Worked fine, and automatically converted screen shots to JPG. Heard a lot of good about IL2 Stab, so I downloaded that one next. Picked the options for historic rank and authentic Luftwaffe markings (just to be consistent) and BLAMMO, my ranks were Soviet! SOOOO, I had to experiment turning Managers settings off, check FB, turn Stabs settings off, check FB, etc etc etc until I got the settings in the game and the settings in IL2 Manager to match. I'm about to get rid of Stab... not because I don't like it, I just prefer the JPG conversion of IL2 Manager, and the program screen is cool. Now, I need some help. Can someone please tell me which are the historic and which are the modern ranks for the Luftwaffe? I believe that Unteroffizier is the historic, and Oberfeldwebel is modern. Anybody got a clue?

SSgt Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!
-Accept Follow-on Shifts!
-Take the Fight Upstairs!

I found a list of Luftwaffe ranks during WWII:
Flieger
Gefreiter
Obergefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Unteroffizier This is where historic ranks start
Unterfeldwebel
Feldwebel
Oberfeldwebel This is where default ranks start (?)
Stabsfeldwebel
Leutnant
Oberleutnant
Hauptmann
Major
Oberstleutnant
Oberst
Generalmajor
Generalleutnant
General der
Generaloberst
Generalfeldmarshcall
Reichsmarschall

Courtesy of www.feldgrau.com/luft.html (http://www.feldgrau.com/luft.html)

Message Edited on 07/20/0304:11PM by Aardvark892

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Both are versions compatible with FB. Don't use both at the same time! I initially had IL2 Manager installed, and picked historic ranks and authentic markings. Worked fine, and automatically converted screen shots to JPG. Heard a lot of good about IL2 Stab, so I downloaded that one next. Picked the options for historic rank and authentic Luftwaffe markings (just to be consistent) and BLAMMO, my ranks were Soviet! SOOOO, I had to experiment turning Managers settings off, check FB, turn Stabs settings off, check FB, etc etc etc until I got the settings in the game and the settings in IL2 Manager to match. I'm about to get rid of Stab... not because I don't like it, I just prefer the JPG conversion of IL2 Manager, and the program screen is cool. Now, I need some help. Can someone please tell me which are the historic and which are the modern ranks for the Luftwaffe? I believe that Unteroffizier is the historic, and Oberfeldwebel is modern. Anybody got a clue?

SSgt Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!

I found a list of Luftwaffe ranks during WWII:
Flieger
Gefreiter
Obergefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Unteroffizier This is where historic ranks start
Unterfeldwebel
Feldwebel
Oberfeldwebel This is where default ranks start (?)
Stabsfeldwebel
Leutnant
Oberleutnant
Hauptmann
Major
Oberstleutnant
Oberst
Generalmajor
Generalleutnant
General der
Generaloberst
Generalfeldmarshcall
Reichsmarschall

Courtesy of www.feldgrau.com/luft.html (http://www.feldgrau.com/luft.html)

Message Edited on 07/20/0304:11PM by Aardvark892

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 08:43 AM
I have the Russian rankings problem with only IL-2 Manager 3.1 installed. Only way to fix it is to turn off realistic German rankings(even though I want them). I guess I'm a perfectionist.

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 10:32 AM
And I chose IL2 Manager too (thought it strangely converts TGA files into really HUGE JPGs). First it does convert automatically your pictures, second it's very user-friendly, looks really professional and gives you almost everything you need, except for the bugged german historic ranks.

I did install Stab, but I got rid of it like you did, propably because it didn't seem to offer anything better than IL2 Manager, beside being simpler and quite uglier.

Was I wrong ? The fact is I don't need two FB Managers, and Stab just lost the match. But maybe I haven't used its best features, who knows ? It looks like a a good piece of software too...

About german ranks, your list is historically accurate. Now how do you replace actual ranks by those in the system files, don't ask. I got used to infantry ranks (that's what FB ranks are), and even to the purple diamonds replacing swastikas on iron crosses. After all, what counts is to fly /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 11:59 AM
The only good thing I could about Stab was the diary. I may use it with the patch though, until IL2 Manager is updated.

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:08 PM
I didn't take a chance to use the diary. What is it exactly about ? Some free text that you can type, mission by mission in order to keep souvenirs ?

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Yes. Allows you to write your thoughts on your missions. Makes it feel realistic and even a little worthwhile.

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 01:25 PM
I use both Manager and Il2 Stab, and works fine but I had to turn off the LW markings in Manager and let them on only in Il2 Stab, and works fine, so they can be used both.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

"The show must go on..."
<center>http://www.btinternet.com/~jj_b/vaw/images/iar81t.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Something unusual going on now. The luftwaffe aircraft only show the authentic markings IF IL2 Stab is running! Does anyone know how to edit the config file simply to turn these on? I'm about to give up on Stab and Manager. The ranks aren't important, unless they're so far off as to use Soviet ranks for Luftwaffe pilots. Whether I start a campaign as an Unteroffizier or Oberfeldwebel makes no difference to me, especially since I have yet to survive past the second mission!

SSgt Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!

XyZspineZyX
07-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Both utilities perform several functions the same, so it is not always advisable to run both at the same time.

You can, but I would advise doing the following:

1. Install the game (and patch if applicable) clean.

2. Install IL-2 Stab. Ensure values are set to IL-2 defaults (this is the default when IL-2 Stab is first installed).

3. Install IL-2 Manager.

4. Make sure only one of the utilities is configured to enable the Hakzenkreuz!

The German ranks as shipped with the game are IMHO incorrect for a game based at the Staffel (Squadron) level. The highest rank a Staffelk√¬§pitan or Staffelf√ľhrer would be is a Hauptmann. Early in the war, the lowest flying rank was an Unteroffizier. Later in the war, Gefreiter's were flying. The problem is, we only have seven rank levels to play with. So which seven to include is the problem and means that ranks get left out (such as Unterfeldwebel).

The other problem is, the Germans had Officier Candidate ranks as well such as F√¬§hnrich and Oberf√¬§hnrich. These were the equivalent of normal NCO ranks but just indicated that that NCO wanted to be an officier.

Then there are ranks such as Hauptfeldwebel. NCO's with these ranks never flew as they were more concerned with running the unit administratively etc.

Which utility to use is a matter of personal preference to you and you alone.

Matt
http://www.users.on.net/mjtm/IL-2/

Message Edited on 07/21/0311:15AM by matttm