PDA

View Full Version : Defensive meta fix for Ranked modes

Epoqx
06-02-2017, 12:30 PM
I would like a real discussion about this, because i was just thinking of an idea to balance the overhaul meta into competitive plays, but i'm pretty sure i didn't think about all the consequences around it.

So, everyone knows the actually problems of defensive meta, i won't remind it. I was thinking about the really well made animations from all the characters, which is one of the big benefits from this game, and how they could take more place in the game. This is proposed for some kind of modes only, where skills actually matters a lot : Ranked.

The fix i propose, will make the game more immersive, will give even more skills knowledge into the game, and mostly, could reward even more aggessivness :

Get ride of the guard indicators in any ranked mode.

It will favorise knowledge of the game, and mostly knowledge of animations. This will put the skill cap even higher, and will widen even more the hole between the differents MMR categories. (Keep in mind that this is for Ranked modes)

It will favorise more aggressive plays, and less of the "block waiting for parry" plays. While blocking will be the more interesting choice for defensive players, they will take even more risks, to actually try to parry any incoming attacks, because of the indications being in the animations themselves, and no more from a little red line which shines for few ms showing you the actual direction and timing to get the parry.

It will favorise feints. Players without UB's, which relies a lot on feinting to open up the ennemy, will have an easier time. As parry being more risky, especially against these feinting machines, paired with more damage on block in any incoming patch for example, feints will have a much bigger impact, either on the mind of the opponent, and on his reflexes too.

It can probably help even more fast attacking characters. Honestly for this one i'm 50/50. The problem of the fast attacks from these chars, are the fact that we are waiting for the guard indicators to pop up, and that these are really fast on consoles. Meanwhile, if u concentrate on the animations themselves, you can actually follow the flow of the characters, and their body moves to get more hints about where they are attacking. I think it can help a lot of us to read the attacks of these type of characters, and at the same time, if they combo it with feints, it can be even more deadly.

I would really like an interesting discussion about it, and what would be the pros and cons for you guys.

MarkedElite
06-02-2017, 01:02 PM
I don't think it would work, removind the ui from the game is a big part of the defensive part of the game, sure, we want it balanced but not completely destroyed.
At least thats my opinion.

Edit: If you compare hard to the realistic story mode you will see what im saying.

Epoqx
06-02-2017, 01:19 PM
I don't think it would work, removind the ui from the game is a big part of the defensive part of the game, sure, we want it balanced but not completely destroyed.
At least thats my opinion.

Edit: If you compare hard to the realistic story mode you will see what im saying.

I did the whole story in realistic, so the only thing i can tell about this, is that it wasnt tht hard, and i was at me early few days with the game.

People will learn to adapt. I know guys who play without the indicators, and believe me they play god damn well. And they do it against those who still have them...

Honestly, i dont think it is that much game changing.

Netcode_err_404
06-02-2017, 01:58 PM
I did the whole story in realistic, so the only thing i can tell about this, is that it wasnt tht hard, and i was at me early few days with the game.

People will learn to adapt. I know guys who play without the indicators, and believe me they play god damn well. And they do it against those who still have them...

Honestly, i dont think it is that much game changing.

Story doesn't have pk light spamming at you.

That_guy44
06-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Nobushi would benefit from this. A lot of her attacks look similar without indicators. Actually anyone with pokes would be a menace. Valkyrie would be top tier just because he lights look the same. This would be ideal if the game wasn't so fast on console. The heavy characters would be obsolete. Their moves are slow and easily telegraphed compared to a pk or valk in your face using only lights.