PDA

View Full Version : Trying out the P-47

perioikos
02-10-2004, 06:53 AM
For a change of pace, I spent last evening flying (offline) the P-47(D-10). Wow, what a blast! I set up a mission where my AI wingman and I, while taking off from a rough field, were jumped by 2 Bf 109g-6 ... my wingman bought it before he ws wheels up, but I got outta that. I spiral-climbed (very wide circle) to 30 000 feet before taking the offensive; snapped the wing off the 1st and burned the 2nd. [full disclosure: 1 ai-wingman (average), 2 ai-bf 109G-6 w/2 MG151/20 (veteran)]. Then I did an interception at 6 000m against 3 Bf 110G; I climbed from 6 to 8 000m, and had my way with them [1 veteran - 2 average] ... I mean they could do nothing. Against some Bf 109F-4's at low altitude I got my engine smoked in a head-on pass, but seem'd to be able to outrun them at ground-level (until I hit the trees). One thing about head-on passes in the P-47 that makes it difficult is the wide-dispersion pattern.

I haven't flown the P-47 models seriously before, and since only against Bf 109F-4 - G-6, and Bf 110G's, but I was surprised how well the P-47 does power climbs and performs at very high altitudes; by climbing at 200mph, the ai was never able to catch me, although it did take a few long-range shots.

One thing that I did appreciate, for the 1st time, was the usefulness of the rear-view mirror ... there was always someone in it that I had to watch.

Improvement in the high-altitude FB-model has been discussed before, but I was wondering what the short-comings of the current model are? While the P-47 didn't seem graceful at 30 000 feet, it was powerful and effective, where as the 109's seem'd to be falling all over themselves. How diffently, than currently modeled, should aircraft in FB perform at high altitude?

perioikos
02-10-2004, 06:53 AM
For a change of pace, I spent last evening flying (offline) the P-47(D-10). Wow, what a blast! I set up a mission where my AI wingman and I, while taking off from a rough field, were jumped by 2 Bf 109g-6 ... my wingman bought it before he ws wheels up, but I got outta that. I spiral-climbed (very wide circle) to 30 000 feet before taking the offensive; snapped the wing off the 1st and burned the 2nd. [full disclosure: 1 ai-wingman (average), 2 ai-bf 109G-6 w/2 MG151/20 (veteran)]. Then I did an interception at 6 000m against 3 Bf 110G; I climbed from 6 to 8 000m, and had my way with them [1 veteran - 2 average] ... I mean they could do nothing. Against some Bf 109F-4's at low altitude I got my engine smoked in a head-on pass, but seem'd to be able to outrun them at ground-level (until I hit the trees). One thing about head-on passes in the P-47 that makes it difficult is the wide-dispersion pattern.

I haven't flown the P-47 models seriously before, and since only against Bf 109F-4 - G-6, and Bf 110G's, but I was surprised how well the P-47 does power climbs and performs at very high altitudes; by climbing at 200mph, the ai was never able to catch me, although it did take a few long-range shots.

One thing that I did appreciate, for the 1st time, was the usefulness of the rear-view mirror ... there was always someone in it that I had to watch.

Improvement in the high-altitude FB-model has been discussed before, but I was wondering what the short-comings of the current model are? While the P-47 didn't seem graceful at 30 000 feet, it was powerful and effective, where as the 109's seem'd to be falling all over themselves. How diffently, than currently modeled, should aircraft in FB perform at high altitude?

Cajun76
02-11-2004, 04:23 AM
Welcome to the Jug. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif On a server or in a situation where there are historical plane sets, the Thunderbolt can be extremely effective. It's effectiveness drops significantly against late war greats like the Bf-109K, Fw-190A 8/9 and Fw-190Ds, as well as La-7, Ki-84 and Yak 3 unless you use strict BnZ with plenty of altitude advantage. Medium to high alt with a '43 plane set can be a Jug's playground. Keep your speed high, it's your #1 advantage in that situation, imo. The biggest defect of the high alt model in FB is that it dosen't go past 10,000m. From there it's just modeled in a linear way, I believe. Not quite sure on the specific details.

Good hunting,
Cajun76

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Cajun76/Realfire_02.gif
Have you thanked a veteran today?

Zayets
02-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Find a mate if you fly online. I fly the Jug exclusively for G/A but don't refuse a fight if some jerry picks me as his next victim. Sometimes I can extend , sometime I can run , sometime I can even shoot them. My objective is to reach their base and give'm hell. Then back to home.

Zayets out
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Zayets-iar80pic.jpg

Merlini.a.f.
02-11-2004, 04:38 AM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif anotherone joins the few who enjoy the jug.
it's a formidable plane....i even saw some guncam footage that shows a p47 outturn a fw190a8.....she's verry forgiveing...
it's one of the greatest warbird....treat her with respect and she will get the job done....just learn how to fly her(verry rewarding). I think that most pilots don`t like her just because she's hard to fly(you need to pay attention to instruments all the time)...unlike on a la7,yak9u,bf109k...and so on....
you have to know her to love her.....
a true beauty.