PDA

View Full Version : Cult-ural Misunderstanding (How FarCry isnt slandering Christians)

BonafideBacon
06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Cult's often hijack religion to show appeal to a similarly minded people, twisting it in their favor to amass a following. This very thing is actually popularized within the Bible, in the book of Revelations. If youre not familiar, please look up 'False Messiah' or 'Anti-Christ'.

Also,
This thread is to help better understand the main antagonist, Joseph Seed, and his purpose within FarCry 5. From what I can tell from anything I can grasp that has been officially released by Ubisoft, Joseph sees himself as a god or messenger from god. Now that's all fine and dandy, but how do you convince a small secluded town that likes to keep to itself, to follow such a character?
Do you think the other villians depicted within the 'Last Supper' concept art truly agree with his motives, or are they as afraid as the towns people? Maybe they have other more personal intentions?
Where did the name Eden's Gate, and their unique starlike crucifix came from?

IsAZebraACat
06-01-2017, 01:30 PM

There was a real life cult called Heaven's Gate that believed if they killed themselves they would be transported onto a space ship that was traveling behind a comet.

So unless that sounds like something you can relate to, you probably shouldn't be offended by us shooting at them in a fictional video game.

mistados
06-01-2017, 01:46 PM
There was no comet, there was no space ship..there was only this!

http://www.nyancatgif.com/images/nyan-cat-gif/original-nyan-cat.gif

HorTyS
06-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Cult's often hijack religion to show appeal to a similarly minded people, twisting it in their favor to amass a following. This very thing is actually popularized within the Bible, in the book of Revelations. If youre not familiar, please look up 'False Messiah' or 'Anti-Christ'.

Also,
This thread is to help better understand the main antagonist, Joseph Seed, and his purpose within FarCry 5. From what I can tell from anything I can grasp that has been officially released by Ubisoft, Joseph sees himself as a god or messenger from god. Now that's all fine and dandy, but how do you convince a small secluded town that likes to keep to itself, to follow such a character?
Do you think the other villians depicted within the 'Last Supper' concept art truly agree with his motives, or are they as afraid as the towns people? Maybe they have other more personal intentions?

The creative director for the game has said that all of Joseph's siblings also have their own agendas in the game. One brother is ex-military and in charge of the militant aspect of the cult. He seems, to me, more like someone who is motivated to be in a position of power for the apocalypse. Setting himself up for a "Negan" like role or something. The other brother is a lawyer (I am guessing the guy to Joseph's immediate left in the cover art) who used his knowledge of the law to manipulate the locals into buying up their properties on the cheap, I would guess his angle is acquisition of wealth, rather than true belief in the end times. The big question mark for me is the sister of the group, Faith. In the promo art she appears to be wearing wedding gown like attire. I'm curious what her agenda is...

BonafideBacon
06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
The creative director for the game has said that all of Joseph's siblings also have their own agendas in the game. One brother is ex-military and in charge of the militant aspect of the cult. He seems, to me, more like someone who is motivated to be in a position of power for the apocalypse. Setting himself up for a "Negan" like role or something. The other brother is a lawyer (I am guessing the guy to Joseph's immediate left in the cover art) who used his knowledge of the law to manipulate the locals into buying up their properties on the cheap, I would guess his angle is acquisition of wealth, rather than true belief in the end times. The big question mark for me is the sister of the group, Faith. In the promo art she appears to be wearing wedding gown like attire. I'm curious what her agenda is...
An overload of new information. :o
If he was buying property, it wouldnt explain why he has people cheering him on.
I almost wonder if she'll play a 'Lady Comstock' role, just ya know, with a weird incest twist.

HorTyS
06-02-2017, 07:46 PM
An overload of new information. :o
If he was buying property, it wouldnt explain why he has people cheering him on.
I almost wonder if she'll play a 'Lady Comstock' role, just ya know, with a weird incest twist.

Well the only people cheering for the Seed family are people they've already manipulated & turned into fanatics... Mary May is an example of someone who had her property bought out from under them and it's part of the motivation to 'rise up' against them. As for Faith Seed, I have since read a short blurb that her role in the group is as a pacifier for the recently turned or those in transition, so the "new recruits" as it were... She specializes in pacifying the people and ingraining the indoctrination so they become loyal & such from what I surmise... dunno if there'll be an incest aspect to it, but it wouldn't surprise me either...

Woodrow79
06-04-2017, 03:17 AM
There are fanatics in all religions, Christianity is no exception. David Koresh, Eric Rudolph. Violent whacks who claim 'god' sent them on a mission.

The only 'christians' that will be outraged are the ones whose beliefs are on shaky ground to begin with.

Butcherbird59
06-04-2017, 04:22 AM
Keep religion out of of FPS games and shooters in general - if not next time we shoot Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists - that's what you want?!

your call but think carefully!

Canadian Beer42
06-04-2017, 04:56 AM
Keep religion out of of FPS games and shooters in general - if not next time we shoot Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists - that's what you want?!

your call but think carefully!

Not only saying shooting Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists is offensive (I'm using your comment as an example, you don't actually offend me or seem to have the intention of offending anyone. But some people want a Far Cry where you slaughter other religions) but it is also a lame idea considering Far Cry 5 is already doing the religious cult thing so reusing it would be pathetic.

Butcherbird59
06-04-2017, 06:56 AM
The real problem here is becoming a trendsetter - once Ubi starts it other game developer may pick up this lame idea and follow suit. Well, we will see what's on the shelf when it's ready.

mistados
06-04-2017, 08:01 AM
None of my Christian friends are offended in any way by anything they have seen of this game.

Because there is nothing to get offended by.

usmovers_02
06-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Outlast 2 did it before just this year and I'm sure dozens of other games have as well.

This isn't new, they're not setting a trend, they're not deliberately creating controversy.

D.DVD
06-04-2017, 02:01 PM
None of my Christian friends are offended in any way by anything they have seen of this game.

Because there is nothing to get offended by.

True :)

BonafideBacon
06-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Not only saying shooting Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists is offensive (I'm using your comment as an example, you don't actually offend me or seem to have the intention of offending anyone. But some people want a Far Cry where you slaughter other religions) but it is also a lame idea considering Far Cry 5 is already doing the religious cult thing so reusing it would be pathetic.

This whole mention of Jews reminds me of a FarCry game I wish they'd make. Where youre set in open world 1940s Germany, as a Jew who's been put in a concentration camp. Opening sequence of you escaping trying to find the rest of your family who were placed in different camps.

To clarify, i think the game should take inspiration from anne frank, boy in striped pajamas, and the movie defiance over your typical overused "Im a soldier in the war" scenario.

WID992007
06-05-2017, 01:27 AM
There are fanatics in all religions, Christianity is no exception. David Koresh, Eric Rudolph. Violent whacks who claim 'god' sent them on a mission.

The only 'christians' that will be outraged are the ones whose beliefs are on shaky ground to begin with.

you forgot this WAKO who also claimed to be a Christian minister

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_M._Heidnik

In October 1971, Heidnik incorporated a church called the United Church of the Ministers of God, initially with only five followers. In 1975, Heidnik opened an account under the church's name with Merrill Lynch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Lynch). The initial deposit was $1,500. Heidnik eventually amassed over $500,000 (US$ 1,092,440.80 in 2010). By 1986, the United Church of the Ministers of God was thriving and wealthy.

jbonczyk
06-05-2017, 09:44 PM
first.. for the record.. i overreacted on the announcement article that gamespot posted about FarCry 5.. it was around the same time as the Manchester terrorist attack.. i also saw the screenshosts and figured it was a leftist game hating on Christianity and white people..

turns out, thats not the truth, particularly when you consider the leader of the resistance.. he's only a Christian minister himself.. and the devs made that BLATANT.. there's even a scene with him holding a rosary.

there is also more than just white people that are the bad guys.

so people need to take a chill pill and actually do research before overreacting.

be that as it may, since this thread is clearly talking about more than just the game.. i do want to say something.

i do wish we had a game that showed the harsh realities of radical islam. just as there are people that overlook the actions of Westboro and other organizations like them.. there are just as many people that overlook the actions of ISIS.. and right now i feel that, as a country, we are naive about the threats we are facing:

we have a faction of society that are white supremacists and racists.

we have factions of society that want to start a civil war in the US.. both on the radical right AND the radical left.. and yes, when you have folks on the left justifying the dallas shooting of police officers.. when you have folks on the left saying "take that S (referring to riots) to the suburbs" and folks on the left saying "people have to die to make change in this world".. we have a faction on the left that want to start a civil war.. obviously we have a radical right thats no different.. but we are fooling ourselves if we are to believe the movement is only on the right.

on top of that, we have a segment of the population that is radical Islam and are here to destroy us and our way of life. this isnt a conspiracy theory.. this isnt paranoia.. this is FACT.. and all you have to do is look at whats going on in Europe, and what's happened in the US over the past few years. they are here.. and they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

i also think that just as we need to wake up to the radical right.. we need to understand what sharia law actually is.. and what its doing to not only Christians outside of the US.. but to millions of muslims all across the world. we have been blessed to be in a country where we only see a fraction of the problems.. it doesnt mean those problems dont exist outside the US.. and it doenst mean ISIS is inconsequential or the "JV team" as Obama said a while back. and just as we need to identify the radical right.. we need to identify radical Islam as well.

again, i want to make it clear, im intrigued about farcry 5 and im looking forward to playing it..here's to hoping farcry 6 continues being bold and shows the evils of ISIS and sharia law next.

WID992007
06-05-2017, 11:31 PM
why do i need to see more of what i see on the NEWS in a game ''you wanna fight terrorist play CS or many other games "
or get off f you high horse and do something to help

no we do not need to recognize ISIS as a state ..this game has nothing to do with the real world or any ;religion ..its a video game !!....do you not get it ?

would you like Ubisoft to make a game where you fight ISIS ?

yea sure , they fire up more ISIS Arabs to make attacks and add a video game company to their crazy hit-list??

are you insane ? or do you enjoy seeing more terror attacks on the news ?

get off your computer ..go support the vets coming back from the mid east if your that worried about ISIS

we already Know the plot of FC 5 has nothing to do with it ..its about one NUT JOB.... you need to stop ..in Montana

not the Mid east . not North Korea , not some other place that has war ..you wanna play a real war game .. join the military ..let us know how much fun ya have when ya get back

Ubisoft is only making a video game .. you do not like the premise .. simply go play another game ..no one said you have to buy it , or play it ..bottom line ...GROW UP

me i'll buy it and have fun playing it ..thats what video games are for .. no they do not represent the real world ..thats up to YOU

usmovers_02
06-06-2017, 12:17 AM
first.. for the record.. i overreacted on the announcement article that gamespot posted about FarCry 5.. it was around the same time as the Manchester terrorist attack.. i also saw the screenshosts and figured it was a leftist game hating on Christianity and white people..

turns out, thats not the truth, particularly when you consider the leader of the resistance.. he's only a Christian minister himself.. and the devs made that BLATANT.. there's even a scene with him holding a rosary.

there is also more than just white people that are the bad guys.

so people need to take a chill pill and actually do research before overreacting.

be that as it may, since this thread is clearly talking about more than just the game.. i do want to say something.

i do wish we had a game that showed the harsh realities of radical islam. just as there are people that overlook the actions of Westboro and other organizations like them.. there are just as many people that overlook the actions of ISIS.. and right now i feel that, as a country, we are naive about the threats we are facing:

we have a faction of society that are white supremacists and racists.

we have factions of society that want to start a civil war in the US.. both on the radical right AND the radical left.. and yes, when you have folks on the left justifying the dallas shooting of police officers.. when you have folks on the left saying "take that S (referring to riots) to the suburbs" and folks on the left saying "people have to die to make change in this world".. we have a faction on the left that want to start a civil war.. obviously we have a radical right thats no different.. but we are fooling ourselves if we are to believe the movement is only on the right.

on top of that, we have a segment of the population that is radical Islam and are here to destroy us and our way of life. this isnt a conspiracy theory.. this isnt paranoia.. this is FACT.. and all you have to do is look at whats going on in Europe, and what's happened in the US over the past few years. they are here.. and they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

i also think that just as we need to wake up to the radical right.. we need to understand what sharia law actually is.. and what its doing to not only Christians outside of the US.. but to millions of muslims all across the world. we have been blessed to be in a country where we only see a fraction of the problems.. it doesnt mean those problems dont exist outside the US.. and it doenst mean ISIS is inconsequential or the "JV team" as Obama said a while back. and just as we need to identify the radical right.. we need to identify radical Islam as well.

again, i want to make it clear, im intrigued about farcry 5 and im looking forward to playing it..here's to hoping farcry 6 continues being bold and shows the evils of ISIS and sharia law next.

While I agree with most of what you say honestly fighting terrorists in the middle east just sounds boring to me.

IsAZebraACat
06-06-2017, 12:49 AM
I wonder if these people boycotted all World War II games, since Adolf Hitler and most, if not all, of his followers were Christians.

Therefore killing them is just as anti-Christian as killing cultists.

strigoi1958
06-06-2017, 01:00 AM
@jbonczyk this is not a game about Nationality or ethnicity or religion. So why are you so full of hatred that you want a game about religion? That is the sort of thing extremists say.
It worries me when I read the fear and hatred in posts like yours... you try to offset it or justify it, but it is just a lack of understanding and a knee jerk reaction. :(

HorTyS
06-06-2017, 04:46 AM

Very much disagree with this little nugget thrown in at the end. The FC is not a series about taking part in all out war in real-world conflicts. Nor is it a military game. And continuing to focus on religious themes would be boring & uninspired. The next game should find some off the beaten path part of the world & take us somewhere new, with a wholly unique story unrelated to the previous entries, just as each entry has done before. . FC games do not use actual conflicts with actual groups, and it should remain as such. A FC set in the middle east would not be very exciting in my estimation....

While I agree with most of what you say honestly fighting terrorists in the middle east just sounds boring to me.
QFT.

Paranoimia
06-06-2017, 08:13 PM
I'll shoot anyone. I'm not fussy.

It's a video game, after all.

MikeJDRW
07-26-2017, 07:47 PM
you forgot this WAKO who also claimed to be a Christian minister

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_M._Heidnik

In October 1971, Heidnik incorporated a church called the United Church of the Ministers of God, initially with only five followers. In 1975, Heidnik opened an account under the church's name with Merrill Lynch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Lynch). The initial deposit was $1,500. Heidnik eventually amassed over $500,000 (US$ 1,092,440.80 in 2010). By 1986, the United Church of the Ministers of God was thriving and wealthy.

The general belief of foreigners (or so I am told) is that anyone who attends church in the U.S. is a "Christian". That simply ain't so. As others have mentioned our history is full of peeps who claimed that God was speaking to or through them. Waco, TX comes to mind. Those communities/churches, etc., usually have ended up having their buildings burning, dying out and disbanding in someway. Others in S. America killed their members - don't drink the kool-ade!
In Idaho it was the Aryan-nation - a huge cult of neo-nazis. You can google them if you want. Even in our news we see some sort of thing that brings up past memories of those people. Ruby Ridge comes to mind as well.

Here in my area we have churches that have pastors and some that don't - those that don't usually just share the preaching by different elders every week, and those that do preach aren't going by the word of god, or maybe using it out of context to make a point. Just what they think they want their people to hear. There's also a church of the misguided who regularly combine church and state together - letting politics into their message all the time. I have another friend who buys a license to preach every year and he thinks that makes act him a Christian. Unfortunately he's not, you can tell from his behavior and what he says.
The Baptist church doesn't do that. They're the only one with a pastor who preaches from the word. But that's in my town....

GameGuru2018
07-28-2017, 04:50 PM
It is good that Far Cry touches religion! Far Cry should touch every mankind's problem in the future! Corruption, consumption, deforestation, nationalism, dictatorship........

abhishekvaid13
07-29-2017, 07:25 PM

Also,

In reply to that diplomatic ******** I have a lot to say
I was the biggest farcry fan and had played every edition to the series but now I see that you made a game against Christianity against my religion and tear a bible with a gun in it scene plus making the last supper a game joke . Ubisoft developers u may like blasphemy but I don't. So I am going to start a campaign against this game and tell every Christian and every other religion person if you respect your religion don't play this game, today they made fun of Christianity tomorrow they will make fun of some other religion. This is not acceptable and I hope this game is a total failure.

abhishekvaid13
07-29-2017, 07:29 PM
@jbonczyk this is not a game about Nationality or ethnicity or religion. So why are you so full of hatred that you want a game about religion? That is the sort of thing extremists say.
It worries me when I read the fear and hatred in posts like yours... you try to offset it or justify it, but it is just a lack of understanding and a knee jerk reaction. :(

I was the biggest farcry fan and had played every edition to the series but now I see that you made a game against Christianity against my religion and tear a bible with a gun in it scene plus making the last supper a game joke . Ubisoft developers u may like blasphemy but I don't. So I am going to start a campaign against this game and tell every Christian and every other religion person if you respect your religion don't play this game, today they made fun of Christianity tomorrow they will make fun of some other religion. This is not acceptable and I hope this game is a total failure.

abhishekvaid13
07-29-2017, 07:33 PM
There was a real life cult called Heaven's Gate that believed if they killed themselves they would be transported onto a space ship that was traveling behind a comet.

So unless that sounds like something you can relate to, you probably shouldn't be offended by us shooting at them in a fictional video game.

Ubi-Zoro
07-29-2017, 07:59 PM
We appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on this aspect of Far Cry 5's story!

The religious cult featured in Far Cry 5 is not representative of Christianity as a whole or any real life organization or religious group. Furthermore, Far Cry is not attempting to make any commentary on any real life persons, organizations, or religious faiths.

To prevent the discussion from getting into problematic territory I will be closing the thread.