PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Mini Game

Fallen-Champ
06-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Fishing Minigame (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FishingMinigame): Players will be able to fish in the game's rivers and lakes, a first for a Far Cry game.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/FarCry5

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/tGXajNMxdFXDPQdfutsXDF.jpg

http://www.thegamecavern.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/farcry5_announce.jpg

Anyone read or heard anything else about this ?
I played the fishing mini game in Zelda a lot of years ago, it was novelty - used it a handful of times so wondering what replay this will have in FC5, there must be something worth getting because fishing is damn boring, can't I just throw some C4 in or use a gun and pretend I am poaching?

mistados
06-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Would be fun, I wonder what kind of fish we could catch..lol

JakeyChappers
06-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Would love to be fishing and then casually end up reeling in a dead bodylike WTF? every one of us would loot that body and leave...

angstik
06-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Hope we'll get some kind of book notes for every species we catch.

HorTyS
06-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Would be fun, I wonder what kind of fish we could catch..lol

Trout, pike, sturgeon & the like. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_of_Montana) (Involuntary rhyme there, hahah)

One thing that has me curious about the introduction of an activity as casual as fishing is how they will justify you taking the time to participate. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the feature should not be there, I just think that for it to be there, there should exist narrative justification for our character to be willing to not worry about the cultist threat and spend the time to catch a bass or something. It always bothered me in open world games when you get to the end of a mission and story-wise it sort of sets up the next mission as something that requires a degree of urgency, but then we're free to go mess around for days at a time.

One of the things I appreciated in FC3 was that sometimes the objective would actually say "Go meet Citra, or explore the island" and it often encouraged you in the narrative to just go around and improve your skills, become more in tune with nature and progress your abilities. It is immersion breaking for me when hypothetically for example I play a mission and at the end it is scripted that I narrowly miss saving someone and another NPC is like, "we've got to go after them" but then I can go take over 3 outposts & hunt down the last 2 tigers to finish crafting my explosives pouch. I am just hopeful that the end of some story sequences in this game will end in such a way that you don't necessarily feel compelled to do the next mission right away, and you feel like your character might feel comfortable enough to go fishing for a few hours... Does that make sense to anyone else? haha...

mistados
06-01-2017, 10:41 AM
I agree. Perhaps if it was in the context of living off the land and fishing was a nessesity in order to eat.

strigoi1958
06-01-2017, 01:43 PM
I like mini games and activities set in games I haven't played a fishing game since Sega Bass fishing... probably over 15 years ago. But in GTA V my mates and I used to finish every session with 9 holes of golf... so I'm looking forward to this.

@GRAW2ROBZ Stardew valley got some rave reviews on steam. I always judge games on game play and how enjoyable they are, never on graphics.... there have been some incredibly good looking but incredibly dull games made, but there are also some brilliant games that are not (nor do they need to be) graphic masterpieces. But some people cannot see past their obsession with Ultra HD textures and realistic visuals... which is a shame as they miss a lot of good games.

Fallen-Champ
06-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Maybe there are quests on the map where we get the option to fish at specific areas and the end game is to provide food and get something back in return, might have to do this once then after that possibly only do it if the player wants to - could be that it keeps stats so the biggest catch or most caught in a set time and this can be seen on a leader board between online friends - just a guess.

I don't see me using this if the info is even correct that it is in the game but if there were racing areas like in FC3 where you delivered medical packages or in FC4 with Kyrati Racing I would do those again if there were times to beat with friends.

akilyoung
06-01-2017, 01:59 PM
It seems like FC5 is going a more realistic approach. Which I find great.

Fishing is much more realistic for someone in Montana than jumping in the water and stabbing a Demonfish...

Plus I would imagine imo that you can cast the road anywhere and catch fish, vs having to look on the map and go to a specific local to grab a fish, and wait for it to respawn when you need more.

angstik
06-01-2017, 03:52 PM
I used to enjoy games like Bass Master Fishing etc. Had quite a fun. Yet, since dynamite sticks are confirmed to be used as weapons, I guess that if I'm not managing to catch my trouts with a fine line, they'll get a nice boom stick instead.

Steve64b
06-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Perhaps the fish/wildlife act as a health regenerator, or maybe the game incorporates additional status indicators like sanity and hunger/thirst. Either way, I think IF there's interactive fishing, it would be pointless without a reward.

Then again, The Witcher 3 had a cardgame, and some folk enjoyed that a lot. Not me though.

HorTyS
06-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Perhaps the fish/wildlife act as a health regenerator, or maybe the game incorporates additional status indicators like sanity and hunger/thirst. Either way, I think IF there's interactive fishing, it would be pointless without a reward.

Then again, The Witcher 3 had a cardgame, and some folk enjoyed that a lot. Not me though.

Um yeah, GWENT was actually a lot of fun, and I had never really even played any type of collectable card game before, but gwent was very enjoyable for me. I definitely believe there will be some sort of incentive to do the fishing. I can't imagine it's mechanics being so enjoyable that people would do it just because it is fun. I was trying to think of what they could reward you with and maybe fish contain ingredients for syringes? That would encourage people to fish more once but to actually return to fish multiple times throughout the game. For example, maybe we have to use fish in order to craft the syringe to swim underwater/ hold our breath longer?

My hesitation is just that doing something so relaxing & nonchalant needs to be addressed in the narrative. All I mean by this is that they need to make it clear that your next mission or objective in the game is not an urgent matter. So often in these games it is implied that whatever the following mission is it is something that actually should be acted upon sooner rather than later, but then we're free to roam about & goof around in the open world for days at a time... So like, if completing one mission ends with the imminent death of a friendly, it's not going to make much sense if rather than going to the next mission immediately in a rescue attempt, we instead just go fishing....

Woodrow79
06-04-2017, 03:21 AM
You have to fish to feed the dog. And the dog can catch some fish in the shallow water. IRL anyway!

Good that games add in these little additions, much welcomed. Constructing lean-tos or other structure like bridges, or burying ammo, food, maps etc to be dug up and used later also a good idea.

A living environment adds immensely to a game.

IsAZebraACat
06-04-2017, 03:37 AM
But can you slap people around with a fish

D.DVD
06-04-2017, 02:04 PM

That would be soooooo funny :D

mistados
06-04-2017, 02:33 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/d21ab1626b8c781f578a50a606e30ea4/tumblr_nbhnqzMljL1tuud52o1_400.gif

Ubi-KitKoumal
06-04-2017, 04:31 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/d21ab1626b8c781f578a50a606e30ea4/tumblr_nbhnqzMljL1tuud52o1_400.gif

Thank you, I needed this gif in my life.

Kit

MikeJDRW
08-08-2017, 10:23 PM
It seems like FC5 is going a more realistic approach. Which I find great.

Fishing is much more realistic for someone in Montana than jumping in the water and stabbing a Demonfish...

Plus I would imagine imo that you can cast the road anywhere and catch fish, vs having to look on the map and go to a specific local to grab a fish, and wait for it to respawn when you need more.

Using your float plane to go get a specific fish (like the mini mission in FC4 where the old man wanted some specific food before he passed?) Maybe collecting different fish types is an idea for collecting things.

Ubi-Salvenius
08-09-2017, 10:08 AM
I wonder how does it feel in first person view. How is the HUD laid out.

https://m.popkey.co/bd4874/pVGLv_s-200x150.gif

As an Englishman and a fan of Monty Python, I'll certainly find out ;)