PDA

View Full Version : Blurry look while using the NVG

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Hello,

Ive been playing GR since it came out. Recently I did a reformat and BIOS update and had to reinstall GR,IT and DS.

When I use the Night Vision Goggles the screen becomes blurry and foggy. In the past Ive been able to adjust a display setting and it became clearer. I do not remember what I changed and I've tried everything including rolling back to an older Vid card driver.

I'm running a ATI 9700 PRO and have tried enabling and disabling Anti Aliasing and a ton of other things.

Anyone experience this and remember what you needed to do to clear it up?

Asus A7N8X
AMD 1.4Ghz
Slight FSB overclock running at 141Mhz/282Mhz CPU 1.5Mhz
512MB Corsair 3200 running at T2 timings
ATI 9700 PRO
DirectX 9.0b
Catalyst 3.6
Win XP OS
3D Mark2001 score: 12,012 points using DirectX 8.0

Message Edited on 09/02/0308:49AM by VirtualViper

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Hello,

Ive been playing GR since it came out. Recently I did a reformat and BIOS update and had to reinstall GR,IT and DS.

When I use the Night Vision Goggles the screen becomes blurry and foggy. In the past Ive been able to adjust a display setting and it became clearer. I do not remember what I changed and I've tried everything including rolling back to an older Vid card driver.

I'm running a ATI 9700 PRO and have tried enabling and disabling Anti Aliasing and a ton of other things.

Anyone experience this and remember what you needed to do to clear it up?

Asus A7N8X
AMD 1.4Ghz
Slight FSB overclock running at 141Mhz/282Mhz CPU 1.5Mhz
512MB Corsair 3200 running at T2 timings
ATI 9700 PRO
DirectX 9.0b
Catalyst 3.6
Win XP OS
3D Mark2001 score: 12,012 points using DirectX 8.0

Message Edited on 09/02/0308:49AM by VirtualViper

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Wow, Viper that's a tough one. My setup is almost identical to yours except for cpu and my 9500Pro. I don't have the problem - my NVG vision is clear but grainy - which is how I think it's supposed to be.

I don't have alot to suggest as we're running the "same stuff". The only time I've had "visual" problems with my 9500Pro was due to registry problems due to installing/uninstalling drivers. Supposedly, ATI is very fussy about a perfectly clean install. But even that doesn't have much merit if you've just rebuilt your system fresh.

I suggest going to www.omegacorner.com (http://www.omegacorner.com) and trying Omega's version of the 3.6s. His drivers automatically uninstall your previous drivers - no need to worry about that. It doesn't explain your problem but it's worth a shot.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Thank you for the responce. I've been reluctant to try the omega drivers because I've had good luck with the ATI drivers. I wish I wrote down what I did last time this happened. The NVG has never been completely clear, Like you say it's not designed to be perfect. Currently, its so bad that its useless on all but the darkest maps. I used to be able to use it somewhat "take a peek" on the desert day maps to contrast the hillside ridge but it's useless now. It's very blotchy.

VV

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 10:32 PM
I can't imagine what setting you would have tweaked to improve the IQ of the NVG. I'm using completely default settings in the ATI Control Panel except for 4XFSAA and 16XAF. I'm also using mostly defaults for ingame settings. I can't imagine why you would have the prob with a 9700 but I wouldn't with a 9500.

I wouldn't worry about Omega's drivers - a ton of people use them. Like you said, on some maps that are set at dusk or take place on a foggy island, the NVGs are useless. But yeah, I do use them sometimes "during the day" to increase contrast.