PDA

View Full Version : Not Fun

salsberry101
05-26-2017, 08:20 PM
So I just bought the game 4 days ago (no season pass) and I'm finding it literally impossible to learn with this current "meta" of new heroes that apparently just came out. (I had no idea about Season 2 just starting previous to purchase) which is fine if the MMR system made any sense. I keep getting paired against teams with 100+ gear scores and 12+ ranks in prestige while I am a whopping lvl 4 gear score and 0 prestige. Not a fun gaming experience at all.

Lyskir
05-26-2017, 08:28 PM
play vs Ai to level up your heroes and lern some important stuff

T_Sesh
05-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately MMR has never really had much bearing on match making, as it seems to prioritize fast match making much more. This is probably exacerbated by the lower player counts per region, where that would likely get prioritized over skill. For that reason, it is highly, highly recommended you play against AI until you can beat them fairly reliably. I also recommend going in to AI practice under "How to Play" where you can change the bot level. I recommend starting at bot level 1 in training and purely focus on blocking and parrying, then work on your chosen character's specific moveset once you're confident you have the basics of defense relatively nailed down. Once you can beat a level 3 bot reliably, you're realistically ready for PvP. Also highly recommend beating the single player on hard to get 8000 steel for customization of your favored character, and experience with several of the heroes in the game so you can get an idea of what they are capable of. This is effectively a fighting game, and like any fighting game, if you come in late, you're likely to get slaughtered if you go straight to PvP without some extensive practice.

I know it sounds like it might be boring sticking to fighting bots, but its actually pretty fun - I've always found the bot AI to be pretty good in most cases, and their level actually does scale with MMR of the team (from what I can tell anyway).

DrExtrem
05-26-2017, 08:40 PM
This game is very difficult to get into.

Hard to learn and even harder to master.

You have chosen a ****ty moment to buy the game though. Most moderate players have left, because of the games difficulty level and the community. This game needs commitment and training. If you don't play it for at least an hour every evening, you will not progress - skill wise.

Playing vs. AI is a way to learn how the game works but it will also teach you some very unhealthy and dangerous habits like offensive gameplay.

My advices:

- if you can not spend a lot of time with this game, try to get a refund or trade it in. This is really not meant in a mean way.
- play vs. bots to train parrying and dodging only, if you want to play mp
- get a guild
- get ready to loose you **** over the matchmaking and disconnects.

This game is pretty hardcore and if you can not commit, you are restricted to playing vs. bots. I have no problem with that anymore (****ing connectivity killed mp for ne) but each to their own.

FootlessRhino
05-26-2017, 08:52 PM
or play modes where gear is irrelevant, although those usually have a higher concentration of skilled players. picking a faster character helps since they're easier to handle. but generally, if you don't want to play against AI, prepare yourself mentally for getting your *** whooped for a week or two until you'll understand general mechanics of the game. new characters (and some old ones) punish mistakes very hard so you'll die a lot before learning how to counter them.

razabak10mm
05-26-2017, 09:02 PM
There's a pretty steep learning curve with this game. And even when you think you have it figured out your still going to come across matches where you get curb stomped. But honestly that's part of the fun.

My advice would be:

Lower your expectations. You're going to lose. A lot. That's ok. There's some really good players out there. Maybe focus on just getting one kill a match. You will slowly get better. Don't get frustrated when someone annihilates you. Just get frustrated on the close matches you lose where you know you made a mistake.

Play an ez-mode hero. I'd go with either PK or Cent. The game seems to be tuned for these in particular right now. With either of these you can learn 2-3 moves/combos and compete with most of the people you will encounter. Play one of those for awhile before you move on to more advanced heros.

Y_Shrewditch
05-26-2017, 09:06 PM
I agree with all of the above, and I'm an average player with a winrate slightly over 50%. So if you're on PC, you'll at least have a good chance against me ;)

First thing I do when I'm on a new character is train in custom matches against bots of increasing level, with no time constraint, no gearscore, no revenge and no damage. I also do that to learn how to counter specific heroes, lvl3 bots are actually quite nasty. (My first experience with a lvl3 Shinobi bot in the Forge is the stuff of nightmares ;) )

I like duels better anyway but would never seriously consider the 4v4's where gearscore matters until I at least have 3reps and some gear from dueling. My thinking is if you aren't trained in 1v1, you'll have way less chance 1vMore with lower gearscore on you.

When I find I'm having real difficulty playing against specific heroes, I'll go and train with them the same way, maybe even to a rep or two.

The game has a steep learning curve on the specifics, but rather basic fundamentals. So stick with it, train in custom matches, ask a mate to join if they want to train along, and use YouTube for tons of guides and examples.

I hope it helped some.

PS: Conq is a good start-up hero, he has a limited kit but focused on the basics and a very forgiving defensive play with the superior block on a heavy in case you're too triggerhappy on the parry.

PS2: Play for fun first, wins second. Some heroes are just harder to master For instance, it's been a real struggle for me to get to grips with Nobushi. Up until rep4 I often thought of just rage-quiting her. At rep8 she's now my favourite character to play.

FootlessRhino
05-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Play an ez-mode hero. I'd go with either PK or Cent.

ugh, I would not recommend him to play Centurion. he's very clunky, slow and is not very good in 1v1, not the best option for a beginner. PK does well in 1v1 and team-based modes, so would be a far better option.

razabak10mm
05-26-2017, 09:58 PM
I don't find him clunky at all. His heavies are as fast or faster than any hero in the game. Lunge attack and kick are super easy to pull off.

I played him for the first time recently (didn't buy season pass) and found him at least as easy as PK.

I'm not saying I mastered them by any means. But he's OP enough that it doesn't take long to get competent enough to hold your own against most players.

The first two matches I played with him were dominion and I topped the board on both. I even had to push pause to see the moveset. My experience was the same when I first tried PK.

That's not a comment on how skilled I am. I'm not. Most ppl would prolly tell me to git gud. It's just that PK and Cent are that much easier to play with a couple of moves that most people either can't/won't counter.

bmason1000
05-26-2017, 10:51 PM
The trick to enjoying this game is sticking it out. Thats really it. Its incredibly frustrating starting out but it can be very very satisfying. Every time you hit a skill cap it gets frustrating again. Then you learn a new technique and wipe people out again and the satisfaction comes back.