PDA

View Full Version : You turned the turtle breaker into a turtle

goldavian
05-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Congrats ubi, you turned the centurion, aka the "turtle breaker", into a turtle himself. His only guaranteed hit out of all his combos and "mix ups" as after a parry... congrats ubi you played yourself.

Ok so seriously now hear me out here. There was no reason to take the guaranteed hit after a kick out. Especially after you nerfed the kick to take more stamina, should've changed the pc version to match the console version, not the other way around.

Now that people are starting to figure out the timing of his attacks and how to PROPERLY dodge his moves, it's become incredibly hard to land any solid hits on people. despite having so many interesting ways to open someone up there's almost no way to reliably follow up with anything.

So let me break it down.

His kick is easy as hell to see coming and super easy to dodge AND punish if centurion misses, and yet even if he lands nothing happens. Why would I EVER go for a kick? I can only do it after a forward dash, so I can't even punish players that try and shoulder bash/shield bash, shove, whatever, against me.

Let's also talk about when you actually manage to get a guard break off. You have 2 options, get a guaranteed heavy, or go for the stamina drain attacks, push them back, if they're out of stamina you can jump attack them (which is very nice) or when you push them back you can kick them and then.... nothing... with the current "turtle" meta there's not even any point to draining a person's stamina unless you KNOW you can knock them down after 1-2 hits. Honestly, unless I know that's gonna happen, I'd rather get the guaranteed heavy. Which means there's no point to draining there stamina or going after the kick when you throw them, because there's no pay off. If I drain there stamina after doing 1-2 bashes then kicking them (assuming they aren't on the ground at this point) there's nothing I can do.

There's also the fact that, while he does have SOME long range attacks (that are all easy to dodge, parry, or counter in just about every way, and I'm sorry but if you can't do that at this point, you might wanna go practice some more), most of his attacks and unblockables are pretty short range, the kick and the charged heavies have SOME range to them, but things like his jab, his lights, and normal heavies can all be countered by simply dodging backwards and keeping distance from the centurion. This works better with some classes then others (looking at you assassin's classes with your rediculously fast dodges), but still, most classes can keep themselves out of his effective range and just kinda punish him to death after all his attacks. Going for a kick? Side dodge and attack/gb. Going for a charged unblock able heavy? Parry, gb/attack. Going for a jump attack? Parry, gb/attack.

I'm also gonna mention his feints for a second here... they're literally unusable... I get that centurion has to have some weaknesses but why are his feints the slowest in the game? It's almost as bad as conqueror where I basically have to commit to every attack I make, but even conqueror has a "pseudo feint" with his all guard. Not sure where the thought process was on that decision.

Honestly ubi, stop listening to your fans and start looking at the facts. Most people like to ***** and complain about literally ANYTHING. And since most people don't even really know how to use shinobi, centurion has been put on the chopping block by the community to try and take him down a peg. Realistically that doesn't need to happen though, he needs some slight buffs and tweaks to his kit, not nerfs. I mean hell go take centurion into a bot match against a level 3 bot and see how hard it is to not only reliably hit with any of your unblock ables but to also follow up with something. Especially that kick. If you ever needed proof centurion CAN be dodged and parried, you have the tools right at your fingertips, all you gotta do is use them.

Honestly though, I'd be pretty happy with just giving him back his guaranteed heavy after a kick... the rest can come later after more information is available. There's plenty of tweaks to be done to both centurion and shinobi as time goes on. But as it stands now, centurion is just kinda meh overall. (I mean hell, shinobi gets a guaranteed heavy after a kick... so why doesn't centurion???)

Also hurry and fix the turtle meta please.

GladiatorHood
05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Too long for me to read

bananaflow2017
05-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Nearly every character has got this Problem.

Eastw00tz.Pyro
05-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Conclusion:
He just cant button smash and spam kicks with centurion anymore.

Danioku
05-23-2017, 09:58 AM
TLDR

Buff Cent too weak

SnugglesIV
05-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Even if they left the free heavy after kick and nerfed the turtle meta, people would still turtle up because of Shinobi being able to interrupt any attack with his light-guaranteed light spam. I don't think people realise how much getting guaranteed lights off of lights enforces the turtle meta. If every attack I make is interrupted with a light-guaranteed light which does quite a bit of damage, my only option left is to turtle up and wait for the other person to attack.

And this isn't even considering his kick. Shinobi has so many tools which just encourage you to wait for him to mess up and punish.

OneManAlone
05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Try 1v2 Centurions in every 4v4 mode...u won't have chance even to defend yourself...