PDA

View Full Version : Why New ARCADE heroes are bad actually BAD BUSINESS

Mia.Nora
05-22-2017, 12:49 AM
OP/Balanced discussions aside, one thing we all can agree: Shinobi is an ARCADE character with arcade playstyle. Stance and art of battle is the last thing you care about vsing or playing as a Shinobi, and his high fantasy toolkit dont have any medieval sense to it either.

Centurion while not as bad an offender as Shinobi, the way his skills track like a heatseeking missile, and the way his engage is in the form of unblockables that lock you down for several seconds afterwards; compared to vanilla rooster he is also way more arcade than what For Honor claimed or used to be.

I totally understand the basic idea behind business decision that led to putting Arcade characters in the game;

1. New players could never catch up with the skill ceiling vsing the old players who have gotten ins and outs of Art of Battle and feints. So they made new heroes play arcade style.

2. Medieval combat fans are already on board, so putting arcade might draw some new players from arcade playerbase.

3. Their theme is fan service. So it is good for creating hype among certain communities.

But I think it was a very wrong decision and while it may have the expected above results to a very lesser extend, it will bear more negatives than it does good because of below reasons;

1. Arcade player would never bother with a game that doesn't have rankings. Even if they may consider For Honor thanks to new heroes, eventually seeing that ranked mode is not a things is an immediate turn off. And sadly a promise of 'coming soon' especially from a company with such poor reputation wont help it neither.

2. Injustice 2. Enough said I guess. Game is very good, balanced, working without errors, obviously have ranked mode (duh). In the same time IJ2 is released, you have no competition vs it to get arcade players.

3. Old players getting disappointed. This one may overshadow any small gains you may have. Reason is simple, while centurion have this to a lesser extend; vs an arcade playstyle character with a hero that is purely based on close quarters kit is not fun at all. The whole premise of Art of Battle is completely out of window. The more popular those new heroes get the more people might leave this game, since it is not the game they signed up for anymore.

Shinobi need to have their arcade heavy playstyle be tuned down by making the stamina costs of each arcade move as big as a Zone attack. That way arcade-like options will become possibilities that may be fit in, rather than spamfests.

Centurion, needs to lose those tracking, and his CC attacks should function the way Shugoki's Embrace works. That way his kit stays but actually needs to work for pulling it off, instead of pressing a button for a heat seeking CC chain.

Before anyone comes and says 'dodgeable/balanced', I dont care whether any single move is ok or not. What matters is how it compares to old rooster heroes' kits and skills. And new characters are absolutely not on the same page with old ones, they feel like they are from a different game all together.

Lord_Nirgal
05-22-2017, 01:03 AM
as i said in another thread: waiting for ermac!!!! \o/

CandleInTheDark
05-22-2017, 01:10 AM
Firstly, this is all your opinion presented as fact. The thing is it is against the opinion of the devs, and given it is their game,they know what belongs there and what doesn't in their mind.

Secondly, you said you don't care if they are balanced, you want aspects of them nerfed heavily, so...yeah, this character is balanced but screw that I don't like the concept...that really isn't going to fly.

Thirdly, bring up other games if you like, but I much prefer this and everything it entails much more than a reskinned streetfighter. Injustice 2 looks like it is very much a better graphics version of streetfighter 2 way back on the amiga I had as a kid with a different cast of characters. For Honor is a different game all together, I personally would not play what is essentially a 2d sidescroller on a flat surface when I can have a battlefield that for honor offers, I might be the only one, there might be more like me, but I'm here for the long term and as long as there is one other person I will be playing it with them.

Mia.Nora
05-22-2017, 01:17 AM
Firstly, this is all your opinion presented as fact. The thing is it is against the opinion of the devs, and given it is their game,they know what belongs there and what doesn't in their mind.

Secondly, you said you don't care if they are balanced, you want aspects of them nerfed heavily, so...yeah, this character is balanced but screw that I don't like the concept...that really isn't going to fly.

Thirdly, bring up other games if you like, but I much prefer this and everything it entails much more than a reskinned streetfighter. Injustice 2 looks like it is very much a better graphics version of streetfighter 2 way back on the amiga I had as a kid with a different cast of characters. For Honor is a different game all together, I personally would not play what is essentially a 2d sidescroller flat surface when I can have a battlefield that for honor offers, I might be the only one, there might be more like me, but I'm here for the long term and as long as there is one other person I will be playing it with them.

I dont understand your point at all. Of course they are my opinions, I said that in my post too, I never claimed those were research verified facts, since there is no such thing? You remind of the 'In your opinion' judge from Good Wife.

Anyway, what I said IS my opinion, but it is based on common sense.

You really think I am wrong in saying arcade fans would even consider a game that lacks ranked mode?

Or that FH DLC has any actual competition vs a game like IJ2 for the arcade playerbase?

Last one is probably way too subjective to say, so you are right, but still I am very disappointed in the difference vanilla heroes play vs each other to how vanilla heroes need to play vs new heroes. Maybe I was wrong to assume I would not be the only one, but still I doubt.

SplugeKing
05-22-2017, 01:25 AM
They royally messed up putting these heroes in the Gabe shinobi is ok still needs nerf but her vanish is incredibly stupid. Centurion is so broke he should be removed

YuBiShiGouShi
05-22-2017, 01:34 AM

Thirdly, bring up other games if you like, but I much prefer this and everything it entails much more than a reskinned streetfighter. Injustice 2 looks like it is very much a better graphics version of streetfighter 2 way back on the amiga I had as a kid with a different cast of characters. For Honor is a different game all together, I personally would not play what is essentially a 2d sidescroller on a flat surface when I can have a battlefield that for honor offers, I might be the only one, there might be more like me, but I'm here for the long term and as long as there is one other person I will be playing it with them.

This guy clearly plays the coward class shinobi.

CandleInTheDark
05-22-2017, 01:41 AM
I dont understand your point at all. Of course they are my opinions, I said that in my post too, I never claimed those were research verified facts, since there is no such thing? You remind of the 'In your opinion' judge from Good Wife.

Anyway, what I said IS my opinion, but it is based on common sense.

You really think I am wrong in saying arcade fans would even consider a game that lacks ranked mode?

Or that FH DLC has any actual competition vs a game like IJ2 for the arcade playerbase?

Last one is probably way too subjective to say, so you are right, but still I am very disappointed in the difference vanilla heroes play vs each other to how vanilla heroes need to play vs new heroes. Maybe I was wrong to assume I would not be the only one, but still I doubt.

I didn't say anything about ranked mode or the lack of it, fact is though that ranked mode is in the works, they are getting test serves together to get ranked and tournament modes tested.

Again, I said that IJ isn't to my own taste. Yes it is a successful formula, it's been going for the last twenty five to thirty odd years, side scroll setting,fireballs, punches, kicks, special moves, fancy scene in the background. People who would go to it aren't going to be more or less likely to by the heroes put in here.

Different people have different tastes. Honestly, I also don't like the elitist tone that some people are taking regarding this issue, like there is no skill involved because they are different to the characters that came before them. I had a guy send a two message rant on xbox calling me, I think (horrible spelling and grammar) a newbie attack spamming ledge pushing naruto wannabe, and that seems to be the tone, if not as crudely spoken, that people are taking with it.

This guy clearly plays the coward class shinobi.

Actually peacekeeper, I just don't think that the attacks on these new classes less than a week in are warranted.

Mia.Nora
05-22-2017, 02:29 AM
I honestly dont know what you are trying to say. You dont even appear to be disagreeing with what I said, since you are talking about something totally different.

Anyway, one week is plenty of time to see how a character will be played in the hands of community, and you really cant be serious to really think Shinobi is going to be played as anything but dodge>dodge> nothing/LightA/GB/Kick.

Combine this with the fact that old rooster can never initiate and attack on Shinobi and all they can do is wait and react to his dodge>dodge; I am very confident in saying that the complaints are valid about his playstyle being arcade and out of place with what FH used to be.