PDA

View Full Version : guardbreak timing

hallower1980
05-21-2017, 03:30 PM
I'm tired of being grabbed AFTER pressing X (Xbox One). At least, it should be a draw and we should push off each other. If my opponent grabs first, fine... but I expect to see the animation begin before I go to grab.

I play against AI more often than not, so this should not be a problem of server communication.

Lord_Nirgal
05-21-2017, 03:39 PM
i don't understand the problem.

the guard break mechanic works by setting the first one to try to make a grab as the attacker and giving a window to the defender to escape the grab.
In certain situation a grab is garanted and cannot be resisted, in others a grab cannot be initiated (for ex. during the startup of an attack).
If both character start at the same time a grab both are pushed back.

Mudflaaaps
05-21-2017, 03:50 PM
The simultaneous GB push back NEVER works. I don't think I've ever actually seen it, only heard of it.

Also, bots don't adhere to any actual game rules. If they want to guard break you they will.

Try going against a non ai berzerker who feints into guardbreak. That is impossible to counter.

Vingrask
05-21-2017, 03:53 PM

the guard break mechanic works by setting the first one to try to make a grab as the attacker and giving a window to the defender to escape the grab.
In certain situation a grab is garanted and cannot be resisted, in others a grab cannot be initiated (for ex. during the startup of an attack).
If both character start at the same time a grab both are pushed back.

But there is a problem and I made a topic these days about that.

The window where two GBs draw is too short, and this is annoying. I'm not the kind of player who spam buttons, so when I do an action I'm buffering another in sequence and I wait the result for the buffering to decide if I change it or buff another action.

The GB animation is too long and the draw window too short, making everytime two players throw a grab it is a gamble. Doesn't matter if one player did it 0,5s after, given the huge animation time, the decision is basicaly taken at the same time, so a draw should happen.

hallower1980 is totally right here.

hallower1980
05-21-2017, 03:56 PM

the guard break mechanic works by setting the first one to try to make a grab as the attacker

This is the problem. If I press X to grab BEFORE I see my opponent try to grab, then I should have the initiative and he should have to counter. If we go to grab simultaneously, it should be a draw. Instead, it seems that I go to grab first and yet I'm the one being grabbed.

It's most noticeable against the Nobushi. Does she have an unblockable grab move?

Lord_Nirgal
05-21-2017, 03:59 PM
The simultaneous GB push back NEVER works. I don't think I've ever actually seen it, only heard of it.

Also, bots don't adhere to any actual game rules. If they want to guard break you they will.

Try going against a non ai berzerker who feints into guardbreak. That is impossible to counter.

1: heppened to me a few times, depends on the speed of the animation mostly.
2: never been guardbreaked by a bot if not a garanted guardbreak, actually bots sucks at it.
3: feints do not change the window of opportunity of a gb, so it is up to you to not fall for a feint and waste your counter guard

Lord_Nirgal
05-21-2017, 04:05 PM
This is the problem. If I press X to grab BEFORE I see my opponent try to grab, then I should have the initiative and he should have to counter. If we go to grab simultaneously, it should be a draw. Instead, it seems that I go to grab first and yet I'm the one being grabbed.

It's most noticeable against the Nobushi. Does she have an unblockable grab move?

maybe you are trying to grab when you can't. For ex. you try to grab when the enemy is in the startup of an attack or you try to grab during one of your own animations.
if you try to use the gb when you can't initiate one you lose the ability to counter gb for a few frames. Ex. you whiff a gb and your enemy immediatly gb you that gb is garanted and cannot be countered.

Mudflaaaps
05-21-2017, 04:37 PM
You've been lucky. I've been guard broken by bots in the middle of attacks, unblockable attacks, even just after a guard break. The bots are evil.

With berzerker the Windows change. They addressed this a while ago, the debuff resistance was making GB counter Windows shorter for him. It's still broken and its not the debuff, it's his guard break after a feint.

Lord_Nirgal
05-21-2017, 04:43 PM
You've been lucky. I've been guard broken by bots in the middle of attacks, unblockable attacks, even just after a guard break. The bots are evil.

With berzerker the Windows change. They addressed this a while ago, the debuff resistance was making GB counter Windows shorter for him. It's still broken and its not the debuff, it's his guard break after a feint.

the debuff resistence stat was bugged and gave the ability to counter gb even if when wasn't supposed to.
anyway i don't know on consoles, i'm on pc and never happened to suffer a gb from a bot when it wouldn't have been possible to gb for a player.

don't know how to help with that.

hallower1980
05-21-2017, 05:00 PM
On Xbox, I get grabbed by AI all the time in the middle of a heavy attack. And we frequently push off.