PDA

View Full Version : 60FPS on console this time?

mistados
05-19-2017, 08:21 PM
If I remember correctly, the excuse given by UBI for FC4 not being 60FPS on console was due to them being held back by last gen hardware of PS3 and 360

So if that was really the case, and now with those limitations removed, might we finally see a FarCry game running at a higher framerate?

Or is the reality more a case of engine limitation and or the fact that open world games are really hard to do at high frame rates.

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Yeah, an open world game of any significant scale is not going to be 60fps on this gen's hardware.... I don't know that i ever saw frame rate talk of FC4, but I don't think Ubi really has many 60fps games at all, let alone a huge open world one.... don't hold your breath....

WID992007
05-19-2017, 11:53 PM
doubt it .. buy or build a PC \ see
https://mspoweruser.com/bungie-says-playstation-4-pro-isnt-powerful-enough-run-destiny-2-60-fps/

consoles can't keep up with a decent PC

they lack the CPU power as they need to run cooler in a small box as well as Lack GPU power for the same reason

eccool24
05-20-2017, 01:18 AM
I honestlt don't care about fps in a title as long as it is stable.

HorTyS
05-20-2017, 07:30 AM
I honestlt don't care about fps in a title as long as it is stable.

Well, I want it to be a stable 30, I care enough that it should be that at least. a stable 15 fps would not be fun....

Fallen-Champ
05-21-2017, 10:16 AM
He has a point I think bringing out Far Cry 4 on all platforms at the time must have caused issues, I imagine this will be PC / XB1 / PS4 not expecting the Nintendo Switch will be able to run it so hopefully it will be more stable.

Primal looked really sweet in places, the fog, tall trees, lovely sunrises etc it almost looked like a new engine so my expectations for Far Cry 5 are high, unsure we will get 60 fps they say Destiny 2 won't be 60 either.

There was a test somewhere that had FC4 dropping into the 20 and possibly 15 in places, if it can hover around the 30 mark it should feel better, maybe PC / PS4 PRO and XB Scorpio might have a boost.

HorTyS
05-21-2017, 10:20 AM
He has a point I think bringing out Far Cry 4 on all platforms at the time must have caused issues, I imagine this will be PC / XB1 / PS4 not expecting the Nintendo Switch will be able to run it so hopefully it will be more stable.

Primal looked really sweet in places, the fog, tall trees, lovely sunrises etc it almost looked like a new engine so my expectations for Far Cry 5 are high, unsure we will get 60 fps they say Destiny 2 won't be 60 either.

There was a test somewhere that had FC4 dropping into the 20 and possibly 15 in places, if it can hover around the 30 mark it should feel better, maybe PC / PS4 PRO and XB Scorpio might have a boost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't play destiny, but it's not a fully open world is it? aren't the various maps just large zones that have loading screens (maybe disguised as cutscenes) to get to them?

Fallen-Champ
05-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Yes it has what feels like an open world but these are split into sections so although it feels like you can go anywhere in reality they are separate areas you are correct.
It also has MP levels for a set number of players and large coop areas.

With Destiny there are a lot of enemies on screen at once, the A.I. is good and it all runs quite smooth, just saying it's not 60 fps.
It would be difficult I imagine in Far Cry games, I would also be happy with a strict 30 fps but know very little with this stuff, hopefully at or after E3 news will start to filter through.

HorTyS
05-21-2017, 08:26 PM
My only point is that the larger scale the game/ world is, the harder it would be for them to make it a consistent framerate in general, let along 60. I don't think we'll ever see the FC franchise achieve 60 fps on console, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

HorTyS
05-22-2017, 02:54 AM
I'm sorry but i have to disagree on that. What is rendered and what's (in memory) ready to be rendered is what counts when dealing with performance. One of the techniques used to keep track of that is the Z-Buffering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering)

I mean, I won't claim to be a techie on the matter, I just know i've never seen a large scale open world game run at a smooth 60fps consistently (or at all)... however i'd venture to guess that in a large scale open world game, what is rendered and pending rendering in memory would no doubt be alot bigger than in a linear game like CoD or DOOM that can maintain 60fps

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
05-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Stay tuned for more information :)

The4orTy67
05-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Real question should be: Will this be another reskinned Far Cry 3?

HorTyS
05-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Real question should be: Will this be another reskinned Far Cry 3?

The problem with this question is that it's actually somewhat subjective. I've found that different FC fans have varying degrees to which they want gameplay changes. Some want sweeping overhauls to the entire structure, some seem to just not want towers anymore. I suppose I'd be somewhere in the middle. I do think Ubi has over used the tower mechanic. I would have no issue with it if it was exclusively a Far Cry thing, but the fact that the same system is also used in AC & watch_dogs made it get old even faster. I think they could find just a different way to accomplish the same thing. I'd like to see more depth added to combat, more options given to the player in all situations, increase in navigational abilities etc... but I don't want them to change the core gameplay structure to much. It works, i have no real issue with it. I think the formula/ structure they have is a marked improvement on what they'd done in FC2.... How different from FC3 do you really want it to be?

The4orTy67
05-22-2017, 07:08 PM
How different from FC3 do you really want it to be?

Well, I'd like them to redo all of the animations, I'm tired of seeing the same takedown animation 4 games in a row. And not reuse every asset. That is all I want. Make it 'look new'.

HorTyS
05-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Well, I'd like them to redo all of the animations, I'm tired of seeing the same takedown animation 4 games in a row. And not reuse every asset. That is all I want. Make it 'look new'.

I definitely agree with you on the animations. I'd love to see a massive expansion of animation in the FC games in general. One idea i've been throwing out there is that when you buy the "faster reloads" or "reload while sprinting" skills, those should totally change the reload animation, not just be the same one sped up 15-20% or while running... the starting animation should be one of inexperience and slightly clumsy, but when you get those skills you should see the progression of the character's abilities in the reload, he should clearly be better & more efficient at it...

Reloads are such a thoughtless act in FPS games. Everyone does it all the time without thinking. Most people reload after shooting just a couple rounds of a large clip it's so mindless. I think reloads could stand to have a bit more depth. There was a game called BLACK that came out around the end of the original xbox's lifecycle that took a small step in the right direction. When you reloaded, the background faded & blurred a bit, focusing on the reload animation itself, and that animation changed depending on if you were in danger or not. If you were in the middle of a fight, it was a quicker reload, nothing fancy about it, but if you reloaded while safe, the animation was a bit slower, more deliberate, and it played out in a way to show that the character you're playing as was checking the clip as he put it in to make sure it's full, and when he'd caulk (just getting around auto-censorship) the gun, he'd make sure it chambered correctly. Little details like that impressed me...

I think i read that Ubisoft Toronto are the devs making this one. They made the shangri-la missions in 4 (thank god this isn't a whole game of that) and helped on primal, but this would be the first time FC is made primarily by them. I'm interested to find out who the leads are. I know Clint Hocking, lead on FC2 works there now, wonder if he's involved.