PDA

View Full Version : New game?

se7enX89X
05-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Or is it just going to be a carbon copy of it's predecessor's like the last 3 games? If it's just another clone I have zero interest in it and for christ's sake come up with something new other then towers to climb....

GMAK2442
05-16-2017, 10:43 PM
I guess it's going to be FC4 with a lot of cool new stuff and a new theme. I say that considering the time between the 4, the 5 and Primal.

HorTyS
05-17-2017, 05:34 AM
Or is it just going to be a carbon copy of it's predecessor's like the last 3 games? If it's just another clone I have zero interest in it and for christ's sake come up with something new other then towers to climb....

se7enX89X, i have the same feelings as you but there is no reason to be acting mad. It would be really helpful for you to tell us some of the ideas you've liked from the past titles and maybe share new ones you would like to see next. ;)

Exactly man, lets try to be a bit more constructive than just saying "don't do this, don't do that", how about offering ideas to take the things you don't like's place? Suggesting things you'd like to see changed & in what way etc...

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Thank you for joining the hype and be with us at the announcement of this new episode! What do you mean when you say "a carbon copy" of the previous?

Cheers,

KitKoumal

JakeyChappers
05-17-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm optimistic they've spent a lot of time on this. From what I read Primal wasn't made by the majority of the team that worked on 3 & 4. That leads me to believe they've been working on 5 since 4 came out, with Primal there to fill the void

Steve64b
05-17-2017, 10:34 AM
What do you mean when you say "a carbon copy" of the previous?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lluC3iq-8

JakeyChappers
05-17-2017, 10:36 AM
My own personal idea of a Far Cry game would be something along the following lines:

Imagine you're a soldier (WWII or Vietnam era) fighting in some unknown tropical island (doesn't have to be all blue waters and sunshine, swampy rain-forest style) towards the start of the game you're captured and in a POW camp.

First mission is you stealthily escaping the camp but you're now alone on an unknown island, army patrols searching for you and posted around the island but also unknown wildlife and natural threats. It sounds like a Rambo movie but I think that would be great, You could set traps similar to FC:Primal

Playing Far Cry using old school bolt-action and semi-auto rifles in a war setting would be incredible

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Hey Steve64b,

Cheers for the video, I'll make sure to have a look at it soon!

KitKoumal

Klossel
05-17-2017, 11:03 AM
If there is guns, vehicles, explosions and plus more like the farcry I've known and loved and not this primal crap I'll actually buy the game but this please does something new and stop reskinning the game everytime. Excited to see what this farcry is.

Steve64b
05-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Imagine you're a soldier (WWII or Vietnam era) fighting in some unknown tropical island (doesn't have to be all blue waters and sunshine, swampy rain-forest style) towards the start of the game you're captured and in a POW camp.

First mission is you stealthily escaping the camp but you're now alone on an unknown island, army patrols searching for you and posted around the island but also unknown wildlife and natural threats. It sounds like a Rambo movie but I think that would be great, You could set traps similar to FC:PrimalAs-is, an experience like this is possible with the Far Cry 4 custom maps already. Add some more scripting/storytelling to them in FC5, and suddenly "what do you want FC5 to be like", turns into "FC5 can be anything the community can dream of".

It's a no-brainer, if we get the editor capabilities of FC4, along with some more interactive/quests/scripting objects for storytelling in there. The main game had it already, why not make these gameplay constructs available to map makers?

JakeyChappers
05-17-2017, 11:44 AM
As-is, an experience like this is possible with the Far Cry 4 custom maps already. Add some more scripting/storytelling to them in FC5, and suddenly "what do you want FC5 to be like", turns into "FC5 can be anything the community can dream of".

It's a no-brainer, if we get the editor capabilities of FC4, along with some more interactive/quests/scripting objects for storytelling in there. The main game had it already, why not make these gameplay constructs available to map makers?

That's a great shout actually I completely forgot about the Map Editor, I never made my own but always played on others maps. There were some very good WWII maps. hopefully they bring it back with a lot more features

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Ubi-KitKoumal. A carbon copy is where you write something and theres a piece of carbon paper underneath that makes a copy of what you are writing onto another piece of paper under that. A carbon copy of the previous Far Cry games would have the same generic formula of gameplay which have been copied into the new FC5 with very little innovation or retrospective improvements such as adding a lobby system like in FC2 which would be both innovative and a retrospective improvement on previous MPs.

Cheers, I wanted to understand which aspect they didn't want to see produced in this new Far Cry. Reading the feedback and impressions of the community is always very interesting!.

Have a good day!

JakeyChappers
05-17-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm having a terrible day and it won't improve but thanks for your heartfelt sentiments.

I guess many people find fault with the last couple of Far Cry games. The thing is - you can easily find out for yourself what alot of people are referring to if you had already read all of the posts in the previous forums for Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4. Maybe start there if you want a definitive answer?

Waste of time being rude on a forum just for the sake of it?
That's your personal opinion, I've had no issue with previous Far Cry games and directing your negatives at Ubi-KitKoumal is both ridiculous and irrelevant as if you're holding them to blame for things you don't agree with.

You obviously need to be in the complaints section instead of a General Discussion about the new game

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Hey guys,

@Sabotur: Sorry to hear things are not great for you right now, hope tomorrow will be better. It is true that I could go in the previous forums to see what people are talking about, but having that specific user saying what they didn't like is just as important. :)

@JakeyChappers: thanks you for the kind words, your understanding is much appreciated!

Cheers,

KitKoumal

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 12:54 AM
I know people are sick of the towers and that that is the most often looked at feature when complaints of "carbon copying" are being thrown around but I've literally never seen anyone suggest an alternative mechanic to take it's place. It makes sense in the past games to have the map obscured as the characters do not know the area, so assuming you're a new resident of wherever FC5 takes place, what are people's ideas for a way to unlock the map & disclose activities in those areas?

My suggestion for shaking up that formula was similar, but kind of the reverse. I was thinking (assuming it's a modern day setting) maybe the enemies have placed EMP Devices in caves around the map and you have to fight and/ or navigate your way through them to disable the EMP device thus clearing up the signal so your phone works (a smart phone that acts as the map in this case) . Also instead of those towers/ caves unlocking free weapons, it should just unlock a mission that when you complete unlocks a weapon. Like maybe disabling the EMP devices made it so you intercept enemy communications talkin about a weapon cache they have so you go and get that weapon, fighting off the guards to do so....

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
05-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Stay tuned for more information :)

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Just paying a large amount of money to unlock map info? You can get more creative than that Vira...

Argonaut_Knight
05-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone,

Thank you for joining the hype and be with us at the announcement of this new episode! What do you mean when you say "a carbon copy" of the previous?

Cheers,

KitKoumal

In my personal opinion, one of the biggest flaws of the franchise was the "recycling of assets". For example, Far Cry 3 and 4 have the exact same weapons list and animations. As previously mentioned by others the lack of innovation is quite present in the series. Please do not get me wrong, this is my absolut favorite gaming franchise and I just simply care for it to be amazing with the next iteration. I hope the teams at Ubisoft are aware of our concerns and that they are being addressed. Nevertheless, I am still very excited for the next entry and hope it will be "fresh" in comparison to previous entries. Best of luck!
Kind regards
AK

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 07:48 PM
The reasoning behind it is: do missions = collect money = better map.
What improvement do you recommend on that system?

I already described my idea for a tower alternative. My concern with your idea, is that to get a better map you have to "do missions = collect money = better map" which sort of implies you can't have as much of the map unlocked until you get further into the campaign itself. One of the things I like to do in the FC games is go around & unlock the map first, that way I can always find what & where to go & do next when I'm not doing campaign missions. Your system seems to imply that we would be unable to have a fully unlocked map without significant progress into the game's story, especially if it's a "large amount of money" we'd basically have to choose between buying that weapon we really want, or unlocking the map... there are just some things about that system that I can see potentially being frustrating...

EdEddnED-E
05-19-2017, 12:18 AM
so assuming you're a new resident of wherever FC5 takes place, what are people's ideas for a way to unlock the map & disclose activities in those areas?

It depends on where the game is set I guess. If it's a western like the rumours state then I would like to see several ways implemented so that it is less mundane than tower climbing. First is bartering information from taverns and travellers (for points of interest like hunting grounds, ranches etc). Next would be the return of binoculars or a spyglass to 'mark' points of interest in view (mountain, ranch, fort, wreckage etc) and the immediate area around that thing would be revealed. If there is a camping system (I have RDR stuck in my head at the moment haha) for crafting and time of day change then maybe when you leave, a part of the map would be revealed in the area you were (as if your character decided to add to the map whilst resting. Finally have the wilderness areas on the map only unlockable by going there to explore! It makes exploring so much more satisfying IMO. As you can tell im big on roleplay and I don't feel FAR CRY games have hit the immersion itch for me since FAR CRY 2.

As for the map it self I want to see the return of the hand held map and compass from FAR CRY 2. And maybe instead of uncovering clouds from the map you would actually draw the map itself as you travel the world. Bear in mind this is me assuming that it is in fact a western which we don't even know lol. But the hand held map is somethig I have wanted to come back for ages now!

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 01:21 AM
If you recall, even a layer 2 map doesn't give all the infos you need. My intent is to incentivise exploration, which should be one important aspect of a survival game.

But FC isn't a survival game, not like RUST or the forest type survival game anyway. I believe a better way to incentivize exploration is to reward the player for doing it, not to withhold things to make them do it. The towers mechanic is annoying at this point, I don't think there is anyone out there who picks up an Ubisoft game and proclaims "I can't wait to climb a tower/ hack the circuit breaker/ whatever, to unlock the map" but they just need to find a new way of doing it. I don't think the tower mechanic de-incentivized exploration, they just put question marks on the map, you still had to go there to find what it was...

They should just a) put more interesting / useful things at these points of interest & b) have fewer instances of doing whatever system they implement to unlock the map, to the point where maybe doing them all doesn't even reveal everything... they should also make it so that if you forego doing whatever map unlocking system they have, that you can just "clear the fog" by exploration.... Really thats the best way to do it , I think, is just have multiple ways of unlocking map data....

It depends on where the game is set I guess. If it's a western like the rumours state then I would like to see several ways implemented so that it is less mundane than tower climbing. First is bartering information from taverns and travellers (for points of interest like hunting grounds, ranches etc). Next would be the return of binoculars or a spyglass to 'mark' points of interest in view (mountain, ranch, fort, wreckage etc) and the immediate area around that thing would be revealed. If there is a camping system (I have RDR stuck in my head at the moment haha) for crafting and time of day change then maybe when you leave, a part of the map would be revealed in the area you were (as if your character decided to add to the map whilst resting. Finally have the wilderness areas on the map only unlockable by going there to explore! It makes exploring so much more satisfying IMO. As you can tell im big on roleplay and I don't feel FAR CRY games have hit the immersion itch for me since FAR CRY 2.

As for the map it self I want to see the return of the hand held map and compass from FAR CRY 2. And maybe instead of uncovering clouds from the map you would actually draw the map itself as you travel the world. Bear in mind this is me assuming that it is in fact a western which we don't even know lol. But the hand held map is somethig I have wanted to come back for ages now!

With more & more mounting evidence that the game is actually modern day, what about a combination of our ideas (mine is back in this thread somewhere). What if when you deactivate the EMP device from my idea, rather than that revealing all the content in the area, it simply revealed the topography, but you still had to physically get near/ view through binos/ spyglass or barter for the info such as in your suggestion to actually see the various activities/ POIs.... And, the phone's map could be accessed in real time & held in your hand as you move around just like in FC2, and instead of swapping to smaller maps, when you zoom it just shows the player character's fingers do the pinch to zoom in, that way it's just like bringing back the physical map but in a modern context....

EdEddnED-E
05-19-2017, 01:58 AM
With more & more mounting evidence that the game is actually modern day, what about a combination of our ideas (mine is back in this thread somewhere). What if when you deactivate the EMP device from my idea, rather than that revealing all the content in the area, it simply revealed the topography, but you still had to physically get near/ view through binos/ spyglass or barter for the info such as in your suggestion to actually see the various activities/ POIs.... And, the phone's map could be accessed in real time & held in your hand as you move around just like in FC2, and instead of swapping to smaller maps, when you zoom it just shows the player character's fingers do the pinch to zoom in, that way it's just like bringing back the physical map but in a modern context....

Yeah I read your other comment on my post and I think your right, it will be set in present day. I like the idea of the phone, or any type of handheld device. Nothing says 'f**k immersion like a pause menu to see your map or change your loadout. Far Cry 2 had the map and come to think of it you had to go to a safe house and select your loadout from weapons on the wall!

The concept im bored of is having a clouded map to start with and then uncoverering it section by section. Its been like that since FAR CRY 3 and its getting repetitive and mundane. I like the idea of creating your own map as you explore but I don't know how that could work in modern day now that I think of it. I just don't want another go here and do this to unlock this area mechanic, I would love to see something less intrusive to the progression of the game. You know when a mission pops up in an undiscovered part of the map and straight away your like 'sigh' should I bother to climb that tower/ kill that EMP or just do the mission? Or should I run around the entire map and do all of them to get it out of the way but possibly ruin the experience of exploration before I'm even halfway through the game?

Maybe the map doesn't even have to be clouded at all. Just have no POI on it and you have to discover everything yourself (like in RDR). I don't know man but I am really excited to see what setting they have chosen for this one!

EdEddnED-E
05-19-2017, 04:14 AM
Since FC3: You-be-soft, so we hold hand, while you play game

https://youtu.be/rg3BvdqoZG0?t=6m1s

I just watched the video you link... I didn't even know you could select the time with a watch in FAR CRY 2! how did I miss that lol I thought that feature was added in FAR CRY 4 haha

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Not only have the towers become mundane in FC, but Ubi uses basically the same mechanic in multiple other games as well, so if you play a few Ubi titles, you're REALLY burnt out on the mechanic... I dunno, I don't hate it as much as other people, but with it literally being the exact same thing in both 3 & 4 and barely different in Primal, I'm ready for it to be much different now. My cave idea is admittedly not very different honestly, but even that would at least alleviate some of the copy & paste feeling I got in 4... at any rate, assuming there is a map unlocking feature, they should make it so that it is completely optional and that the map clears as you physically explore it as well, then you please everyone and hardly have to change a thing... win win...

Twili-letmedie
05-23-2017, 10:09 PM
There are some really good points being thrown across! I'm really excited for Far Cry 5. I hope with them bringing it to the States that means it's going to be a huge step forward and integrates new things to make it fresh!

HorTyS
05-24-2017, 08:58 AM
There are some really good points being thrown across! I'm really excited for Far Cry 5. I hope with them bringing it to the States that means it's going to be a huge step forward and integrates new things to make it fresh!

Have you any thoughts or examples of how they could do that? Everyone wants that, but what that means to people isn't always the same.... Care to elaborate?

angstik
05-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Have you any thoughts or examples of how they could do that? Everyone wants that, but what that means to people isn't always the same.... Care to elaborate?

Protagonist witnesses a brutal murder in a barn.
Press "X" to call reinforcements.
Light chopper sounds.
The whole farm is soaked in napalm by the army.
Credits roll

HorTyS
05-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Protagonist witnesses a brutal murder in a barn.
Press "X" to call reinforcements.
Light chopper sounds.
The whole farm is soaked in napalm by the army.
Credits roll

That is the kind of huge step forward you want to make the game feel fresh? To each his own I guess...

Butcherbird59
05-25-2017, 03:06 AM
I think Ubisoft is not about being innovative no matter which game genre on offer - same engine, same limitations.. just the location/artistry is changing.

I may buy FC5 when it's down to $20...

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 04:49 AM
I love the misconception that for a game to make any sort of significant change it has to run on an entirely new engine. People who complain about the engine of a game don't seem to have any real understanding about what the engines are actually capable of or how much they change between the multiple games that use them.

Butcherbird59
05-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Okay, you just confirm it's coders' laziness to not advance a game properly coz it's too cumbersome to do so - I adjust my offer... $15 for FC5

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Okay, you just confirm it's coders' laziness to not advance a game properly coz it's too cumbersome to do so - I adjust my offer... $15 for FC5

I confirmed no such thing. If I did anything with that post it was reveal your expectations as being unrealistic and out of touch with reality.