PDA

View Full Version : Let's guess the setting

Shotyyy
05-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, Far Cry 5 lives and we know it.

The announcement is coming very soon, but we are yet to see the setting, what will it be?
I would love to see the rumor about wild west to be true, but if that's not that case then I hope it's somewhere tropical like Far Cry 3!

ElBearsidente
05-16-2017, 05:44 PM
1-4 contemporary, then one in the past. I guess it's time for the future. Far Cry Venus.

Inari_Whitebear
05-16-2017, 05:48 PM
The 5 is red, it looks sci-fi-ish. Red = mars.

Farcryisdead
05-16-2017, 05:50 PM
modern or near future (2020 - 2030) montana usa. theme - collapsed economy. small armed gangs fight for control.

EARTHSICON123
05-16-2017, 06:12 PM
A spaghetti western set in 19th century america.

GMAK2442
05-16-2017, 06:46 PM
The rumours what saying western so I got with that.

The4orTy67
05-16-2017, 07:53 PM
It's modern day Montana and you're playing a cop.

Frankie_Drums
05-16-2017, 08:11 PM
A spaghetti western set in 19th century america.Seconded. Specifically in Montana.

jmcc84
05-16-2017, 08:12 PM
It's 80's Colombia and you're in the middle of the colombian cartel drug war

Shotyyy
05-16-2017, 08:40 PM

Sounds like Battlefield Hardline which wasn't received well by critics and fans, doubt Ubi will go down that path.

BattlePHILd
05-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Honestly, not sure how much I care. I'm just glad it's being made! It just needs to be a good Far Cry game. Hence, Open-world, extremely expansive, first-person, lots of weapons (including some freaking guns!), lots of vehicles, 40 to 60 hours worth of fun-to-play missions, preferably a map editor with multiplayer.

But I will say, as for multiplayer, if they can't get it done with a lobby system and decent matchmaking, they shouldn't bother. FC3 was the closest they ever got to a good multiplayer, but getting into a decent match (especially with friends!) was nearly impossible!

AKAFootloose
05-16-2017, 10:39 PM
I'll just wait for the official announcement from Ubisoft. I don't pay any attention to rumors. No point in wishing and hoping. That decision was made a long time ago.

eccool24
05-17-2017, 03:03 AM
I hope for a modern setting myself no matter the location.

HorTyS
05-17-2017, 06:10 AM
The rumours what saying western so I got with that.

The only reason thats being suggested is because it was a choice in a poll from Ubisoft 2 years ago and now theres talk of Montana, so people are assuming they're one in the same. Nothing about the more recent leaks/ reports suggest it's a western theme.

I've heard this suggested as well and hope this is the case if MT is indeed the setting.

Sounds like Battlefield Hardline which wasn't received well by critics and fans, doubt Ubi will go down that path.

Ubi is not EA, Far Cry is not Battlefield. Battlefield failed because that franchise and that setting don't mix, it was a different team making that and it's EA, who honestly can't make good non-sports games to save their lives. I think being a cop in modern day MT has plenty of potential to not suck.

I hope for a modern setting myself no matter the location.

QFT.

phxrider
05-17-2017, 08:11 AM
I'm voting for modern day myself, I think the time jumps and weird settings should be left for spinoffs like Blood Dragon and Primal and keep the "main" releases present-day... Although I have no idea what they'll actually give us.

HorTyS
05-17-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm voting for modern day myself, I think the time jumps and weird settings should be left for spinoffs like Blood Dragon and Primal and keep the "main" releases present-day... Although I have no idea what they'll actually give us.

I agree. I've suggested this before, but I think it'd be a good compromise if they leap-frogged between modern day settings & the alternate settings. That way the people who prefer one to the other still get their games and they don't get burned out with the games releasing so often. And the people who enjoy both have a veritable smorgasbord of FC to play ( and even then they aren't quite an annual release just yet so it's not quite to AC levels of franchise fatigue)

Farcryisdead
05-17-2017, 09:53 AM
I like the modern setting. it's better for map editor pieces. modern setting gives a wider choice for map builders.

mluiga
05-17-2017, 11:03 AM
A spaghetti western set in 19th century america.

I would really, really love that kind of game. I sincerely think that if Far Cry 5 goes full cowboy experience, it would kick Red Dead Redemption 2's *** with it's first person view and detailed environments.

I got bored of the repetition that RDR offered, and the 3rd person didn't help either. Think about gun duelsl in first person? So much more intense, and shootouts in the alleys of a wind pined small town of the west would be lovely. Or probably I would just climb the rooftop with my lasso and use the height as a leverage.

And the crazy mad-man styled episodes that Far Cry has used lately would certainly work well in a western wasteland environment.

mistados
05-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Being set in the Wild West would be fantastic, a futuristic setting would also be cool. I wasn't big on the whole prehistoric setting personally.

Zebra_111
05-17-2017, 12:43 PM
I would also prefer a wild-west setting.
Why ? Cause its a bit something new.
How many modern fps are out now ?
As we have the logo now, it looks more like modern 1980 and not 1880.
Could also have been placed by Ubi by a good reason, so they can keep the fog until they rise up the sun.

RPGWiZaRD
05-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Honestly, I just hope it's something that would be moddable and that Ziggy finds an interest in after his awesome work on Far Cry 3 that made the game so much better. =)

The setting I don't personally care so much about, I just wish the game avoids feeling so "sandboxy & minigame"-based like FC4 suffered from, ie. you have these and these minigames splattered around that you can do, I want to feel a more adventurous and story-focused single player again, FC1 was best in that regard, since then it changes more into this kind of minigame-style game that distracts from the immersion you get into the game.

I also think the worldmap design got less and less "believable" with every new title.

OldFogeyGamer
05-17-2017, 01:46 PM
For me I am hoping and praying it's way up in the sky, way up in space. Would love to see what these guys come up with if it is in space.

akilyoung
05-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, Far Cry 5 lives and we know it.

The announcement is coming very soon, but we are yet to see the setting, what will it be?
I would love to see the rumor about wild west to be true, but if that's not that case then I hope it's somewhere tropical like Far Cry 3!

UBI was recording in Montana in a wild west type setting...no need to speculate. Also this was an option on their list of settings.

Vixerio
05-17-2017, 02:42 PM
I think it's in historic period on the american continent. Not the far west, the design look like a modern thing. In fact, i'm thinking that it could be a bit similar to Hotline Miami, idk why.
(I hope they changed their game engine btw)
Suggest ! :D

xylem237
05-17-2017, 04:24 PM
...My personal rumour.

- Longinus said to Mr Ghale that he will travel to South America or Cuba.
- The colours of the FC 5 Logo are red and blue.
- Chile and Kuba have this colours in their flag.
- I am not sure but Willis the CIA Agent flew to South America.
- In my opinion Montana is only a place where the Trailer was made, no indication for the Setting. A curch with 2 guys fighting could be in south america as well.
- I would bet Far Cry 5 takes place somewhere in South America. Present day. Following FAR CRY 2,FAR CRY 3 and FAR CRY 4.

I am a big Far Cry Fan. I have 100 percent achievements in all Far Cry games. Even on more platforms.

HorTyS
05-17-2017, 08:40 PM
I would really, really love that kind of game. I sincerely think that if Far Cry 5 goes full cowboy experience, it would kick Red Dead Redemption 2's *** with it's first person view and detailed environments.

I got bored of the repetition that RDR offered, and the 3rd person didn't help either. Think about gun duelsl in first person? So much more intense, and shootouts in the alleys of a wind pined small town of the west would be lovely. Or probably I would just climb the rooftop with my lasso and use the height as a leverage.

And the crazy mad-man styled episodes that Far Cry has used lately would certainly work well in a western wasteland environment.

Lol, no, if FC5 is wild west and comes out near the release of RDR2, RDR2 will annihilate FC in sales, it wouldn't even be close... Also, some people prefer 3rd person... I do, though FC is one of my fav first person games...I just prefer 3rd person in general...

UBI was recording in Montana in a wild west type setting...no need to speculate. Also this was an option on their list of settings.

Actually if you really read the details of all Ubi's work in MT, nothing about it suggests a wild west setting at all. People just think that because it was an option on Ubi's poll 3 years ago and people associate MT with cowboys (which, admittedly there are, but it's also 2017, it's not like we're all cowboys, I mean, I'm writing this on an online message board right now right?)

WID992007
05-17-2017, 11:48 PM
already i think i nailed it

http://steamcommunity.com/app/298110/discussions/0/1291816569115380283/

am i wrong most likely ..but its a decent guess

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 12:35 AM
already i think i nailed it

http://steamcommunity.com/app/298110/discussions/0/1291816569115380283/

am i wrong most likely ..but its a decent guess

There is more evidence supporting modern day than there is supporting wild west era... Would be cool if they have a compound bow in this one!!!

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 01:11 AM
This thread doesn't seem any different than this one: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1669259-Let-s-guess-the-setting

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Hey HorTyS,

You were right, I merged them. ;)

Cheers,

KitKoumal

EdEddnED-E
05-19-2017, 12:31 AM
I love the Western setting rumour but since the title is FAR CRY 5 and not FAR CRY 'something else' like 'Blood Dragon' or 'Primal', I'm betting that it is modern day setting linked to the universe of 2-3 and 4. Someone mentioned mars which I actually thought was an awesome idea but I think the environment would get stale very quickly.

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 01:31 AM
I love the Western setting rumour but since the title is FAR CRY 5 and not FAR CRY 'something else' like 'Blood Dragon' or 'Primal', I'm betting that it is modern day setting linked to the universe of 2-3 and 4. Someone mentioned mars which I actually thought was an awesome idea but I think the environment would get stale very quickly.
Whole lotta evidence supporting the modern day Montana setting. I think if it was mars that would also constitute not numbering the entry and being sort of in the "spin-off" Blood Dragon/ Primal camp.... The blue & red motif of the logo having such strong cop implications, it makes me wonder, if it is infact a cop we're playing as, if we will be able to arrest/ handcuff enemies.... and maybe we'll have a cop car that is used to swap weapons & such on the fly. I hope we still get a good variety of weapons. Setting it domestically will sort of hamper some of the weapons if they go for realism... I live in MT and it's not like i've ever heard of anyone who has an RPG or something, though finding ARs & such wouldn't be to much of a stretch.... So long as there is a bow in there, thats the most important weapon to retain....

karofskyk
05-19-2017, 02:11 AM
red and blue sounds like US and Police

Modern style sounds like future

EdEddnED-E
05-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Whole lotta evidence supporting the modern day Montana setting. I think if it was mars that would also constitute not numbering the entry and being sort of in the "spin-off" Blood Dragon/ Primal camp.... The blue & red motif of the logo having such strong cop implications, it makes me wonder, if it is infact a cop we're playing as, if we will be able to arrest/ handcuff enemies.... and maybe we'll have a cop car that is used to swap weapons & such on the fly. I hope we still get a good variety of weapons. Setting it domestically will sort of hamper some of the weapons if they go for realism... I live in MT and it's not like i've ever heard of anyone who has an RPG or something, though finding ARs & such wouldn't be to much of a stretch.... So long as there is a bow in there, thats the most important weapon to retain....

Yeah dude... I get it... it's probably not a western haha ;). I agree with you, its the fact that it has the number 5 in the title and not a 'word' like the snip-off titles. Yeah I did read into that the same way (the cop thing). Arresting enemies would be cool and your cop car idea is awesome! Going to the trunk of your car to swap out your load out! So cool! Like a mobile safehouse you could upgrade. I don't think a domestic setting would hamper it, it depends on the story. For example if you are from Montana and maybe some gang or military group has taken the area over and is using hostages to stop outside authorities from intervening (Far Cry: Paul Blart Montana Cop), and you're fighting back with no choice but to use their weapons againt them. There is sure as s**t going to be a bow in there man... no doubt

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Yeah dude... I get it... it's probably not a western haha ;). I agree with you, its the fact that it has the number 5 in the title and not a 'word' like the snip-off titles. Yeah I did read into that the same way (the cop thing). Arresting enemies would be cool and your cop car idea is awesome! Going to the trunk of your car to swap out your load out! So cool! Like a mobile safehouse you could upgrade. I don't think a domestic setting would hamper it, it depends on the story. For example if you are from Montana and maybe some gang or military group has taken the area over and is using hostages to stop outside authorities from intervening (Far Cry: Paul Blart Montana Cop), and you're fighting back with no choice but to use their weapons againt them. There is sure as s**t going to be a bow in there man... no doubt

Having some sort of militarized militia take over a big rural swath of land would certainly justify a sudden influx of weaponry, but I've actually been hearing that the antagonist/ enemy faction is some sort of religious cult, so I'm wondering, if that is true, how all the weapons would come into play with that...

I'm glad you liked that cop car thing, I actually kinda just came up with that on the fly as i was writing that post but as you say having customization for it could be cool, up it's speed and handling or defensive capabilities & such...

xylem237
05-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Maybe it is a NEO western like the MACHETE films. You're charakter is like Danny Trejo against freaky criminals.

HorTyS
05-21-2017, 09:35 AM
According to some posts from elsewhere that's true and i've never liked cultism in a plot http://www.elakiri.com/forum/images/icons/sq/12.gif

I dunno, I'm not gonna write it off just because I"m not particularly excited by the rumor of the general direction of the story... I'll wait & see how they handle it. The thing that has me worried more than the rumored story themes is the way those themes effect the gameplay. It will be hard for them to bring in some weapons in a believable fashion if the enemies are just religious fanatics. If they were some sort of militarized militia then it would make sense that they're bringing in advanced weaponry, some scientology-esque group would be harder to explain that kinda thing...

KOMMENDANTEKING
05-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Blank letters, blue around it...

The action will be in Antarctica, we will be shooting penguins and making armors from polar bear (if you don't die and the bear server you for dinner).

Zebra_111
05-23-2017, 06:52 AM
KOMMENDANTEKING, that's a cool plot! Welcome to the forums :p

why motivating someone to post such useless things ?
Antartica...polar bear...
He even might not buy this game, as he is for sure not even 14

HorTyS
05-23-2017, 07:37 AM
why motivating someone to post such useless things ?
Antartica...polar bear...
He even might not buy this game, as he is for sure not even 14

I dunno i mean, his post was less useless than yours... : /

With the Montana setting now official, and mountains, pine forests, prairies and meadows basically a given, I am wondering if this FC will have the largest town yet... It'd be hard to make a very big map, even taking the liberties they'll be taking, and not at least account for a minor hub of civilization...

D.DVD
05-23-2017, 08:19 AM
It really looks boring and cheap. But that was just the first impression from their teaser.

EdEddnED-E
05-23-2017, 02:11 PM
I dunno i mean, his post was less useless than yours... : /

With the Montana setting now official, and mountains, pine forests, prairies and meadows basically a given, I am wondering if this FC will have the largest town yet... It'd be hard to make a very big map, even taking the liberties they'll be taking, and not at least account for a minor hub of civilization...

It will be the first Far Cry set in a modern first world civilisation, so I'm eager to see what it's like to walk around a modern town/city. Looking forward to seeing gameplay

HorTyS
05-23-2017, 08:26 PM
It really looks boring and cheap. But that was just the first impression from their teaser.

I don't even understand how a person can get that impression based on the live action teasers we've been shown. I'd say you're jumping way to far to conclusions we have no idea about...

It will be the first Far Cry set in a modern first world civilisation, so I'm eager to see what it's like to walk around a modern town/city. Looking forward to seeing gameplay

Well, being based off MT, there is still no guarantee we will see a decent sized town let alone city. I live in one of the bigger metropolitan hubs in the state & I'd still call it a town before calling it a city, that being said, there are massive swaths of land with little to no civilization, so it's definitely not a given that there'll be a town or settlement bigger than things they've had in past games....