PDA

View Full Version : RFC : AI awarness

Grrrenouille
05-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Playing stealth usually imply knowing how to play with AI awarness.

I won't covering the "Engaged" state for an obvious reason : in the context of stealth, going "engaged" is a fail. However I will cover the "Hunting" state.

There are 2 main sources of awarness : sound and light.
There are 3 main "stealth" awarness level : unsuspecting, suspecting and hunting. I count "hunting" inside "stealth" because in this mode, the ennemy knows "there is someone" but doesn't known "where".

Sound can be modelized as a circle shaped zone around every tangos. Radius of this circle is a function of the volume of the noise.
Light can be modelized as a cone or a triangle in front of the tango. The light intensity makes this cone longer or smaller. The awarness level of tangos does change the area their visual/audible cone/circle cover.

In the unsuspecting mode, tangos are slow to react if they spot you, they do not care for cover and do not run. They live their happy tango life doing happy tangos things such as push up, taking phone calls, lazy patrol, etc.

In the suspecting mode, tangos affected are trying to find the source of an unusual event : spotting someone for a brief period of time, hearing a little unusual sound or seeing a flare. In suspecting mode, tango still do not care for cover and do not run. Their reaction time is much faster. Their state of awarness doesn't spread to other tangos. [check does it spread ?!]

In hunting mode, tangos can be in two different states with 2 substates each.
substates change the destination of the AIs : They remember the last ennemy position and can decide to go there or they might spread out and search an area. They do the last one when there is no place to look for or when the last ennemy position is declared "cleared" by the tangos.

the two states are "cold hunting" and "hot hunting" : cold hunting doesn't trigger the alarms. in cold hunting they behave "on guard" but aren't running or searching for cover. In hot hunting they do.

In the first state, tangos will take cover and run. They usually regroup themselves around the hotspot before assaulting it. In the second state however, tangos will spread out and walk in random directions. I am refering to those two substates as "hot hunting" and "cold hunting", or "Gunting" for hot hunting and "Hunting" for cold hunting.

Tangos are much easier to take on when they are, in order, unsuspecting, suspecting, cold hunting and hot hunting. It is usually a bad idea to try to take on tangos when in hot hunting if your goal is to avoid at all cost being shot at. The difference between both hunting mode is as wide as the difference between suspecting and engaged.

What makes a tango goes from unsuspecting to suspecting : showing yourself for a brief moment, running footsteps, lure grenades in range, flare in sight.
What makes a tango goes into hunting mode : finding a dead body, witnessing a shot impact or shot source, witnessing an explosion (mine/c4/grenades/ prop ), spotting you for "too long" amount of time.

a Note about the way AI "finds" the source of gunshots.

Somehow, when the AI witness a shot impact, it also knows the position of the shooter. Even with silencer. That's how the game works.
It doesn't apply to grenades or C4 but does apply to mortar. For mortar, the AI will go into "Hot hunting" towards the position you had when asking for the mortar shot even if you are far away from the zone where the actual explosion occurs.
It can be used to your advantage as a way to lure tangos where you want them to go. you can set up mines where you are, then call for a mortar away and move back to a third, safe, location : the mortar will shot down whatever you asked it to, the tangos will rally on your minefield and you will be safe, further away.
However it does not apply to prop explosion (shoting a fuel tank), mines, c4, grenades and rebel diversion. For those three, the "source" is located where the explosion/gunfire occurs.

Different notes about differents tools :

Lure and flare are mostly useless when in hunting mode or higher : the flare doesn't do anything, and the lure only become a "diversion" : the tango will briefly look in the direction of the sound crash and then immediatly resume his course of action without checking it as he would in unsuspecting/suspecting mode.

Lure and flares can be efficiently combined. The flare cannot make a tango look in a given direction. That's the lure's job. Hence, you can empty a building by throwing a lure grenade close to it, between the building and the position where you intend to shot the flare : they look for the source of the sound and find the flare, far away, and move towards it. (for any purpose : counting the tangos inside, intrusion where you take nearly 0 risks of having to shot a gun inside, or luring group of tango in open area for a kill zone set up).

Mines : they automatically trigger themselves in 2 scenarios :

1) a vehicule goes over it in any awarness mode (including unsuspecting). Your own vehicle can trigger the mine. The zone that makes the mine goes off is kinda big.
2) a person walks over it in any awarness mode that is not "unsuspecting". The zone that makes the mine goes off is smaller. In other words, "lure" grenades can be used as "detonator" to triggers the mines. You can probably make "chain reaction" by setting up mine in clever spot all over the camp before triggering a "suspecting" awarness that makes the mines "online". Making the whole camp going into "hunting mode", and producing chaos with explosion in distants positions that the AI won't link to your actual position as it would if trying this with mortar.

Is there something missing or wrong on this topic in this post ?

Grrrenouille
05-15-2017, 02:59 PM
edit

AI do not link player when triggering c4 and grenades as I thought they did

Hot and cold hunting have 2 substates : they remember the last known ennemy position and will eventually go back there, even if it was long ago.

Paranoimia
05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Good stuff. Thanks!