PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the faction war.

Liv3rp00l
05-10-2017, 03:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLaHgpC8Hs

Original Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLaHgpC8Hs

Egotistic_Ez
05-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Gotta disagree with the rewards not being worth it. I think ornaments are the best way to go. It's a unique cosmetic. Though I think you should only get ornaments for the winning faction, which goes to the loyalty issue he was talking about.

As for the mechanics, well my opinion is probably well known by now. It's the type of thing an beginner designer might put in his first game and I can only assume it's the pet project of one of the lead devs because otherwise it would've been trashed in beta, if it had even made it that far.

razabak10mm
05-10-2017, 03:41 PM
They're not worth it when you win and still don't get them...

Father_Giliam
05-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Brings up good points, but didn't really talk about the main issue, the non-existant balance. As he said, only the last 24 hours matter, but what truly matters in those 24hrs is to lose at the right time to gain the "loser" bonus during the last 2 refreshes. Doing this pretty much gaurentees the round win for the faction. Another issue is the population gap. According to the devs, the population was fairly even this season. Problem is, people are gonna start hopping ship. This will continually get worse as time goes on unless incentives are given to join the lower population factions.

Liv3rp00l
05-10-2017, 05:17 PM
but what truly matters in those 24hrs is to lose at the right time to gain the "loser" bonus during the last 2 refreshes. Doing this pretty much gaurentees the round win for the faction.

I didn't even know that this was a thing? I know that in the final two hours of each refresh you get extra assets; but what you say is very new to me. Can you link me to where that's confirmed, please? It's very interesting.

FizNpop
05-10-2017, 05:36 PM
7 minutes in, he hits the perfect idea.

A incremental reward system. For each season you remain with your faction, your reward increases.

I'd say a good number is 3 seasons.

Season 1 - Rank 1 reward
Season 2 - Rank 1 and 2 reward
Season 3 - Rank 1, 2, and 3 reward.

Of course the reward ranks would be chosen based on the prestige/rarity.

Father_Giliam
05-10-2017, 07:30 PM
I didn't even know that this was a thing? I know that in the final two hours of each refresh you get extra assets; but what you say is very new to me. Can you link me to where that's confirmed, please? It's very interesting.

I can't link to anything official, but have you ever noticed a faction will lose territory 1-2 refreshes to a faction then suddenly resurge? Its because theres a "loser bonus" that activates for a faction upon losing a certain amount of territories to another faction. The bonus is a 5% start on defense and offense against that factions front.

Example being, say the Knights lost 2 refreshes to the Samurai, which crosses the threshold and triggers the bonus. On the Knight v Samurai front, instead of both factions starting at 50/50, it starts at 55/45 in favor of the Knights. You can see this directly after a refresh. This effect can last through multiple refreshes. Its to prevent a faction from being entirely wiped out quickly from a combined effort.

Its the reason the Knights won the Open Beta War, which closed after the losing bonus surge for them.

Edit: Looking into it there seems to be an asset gain booster applied aswell during it. Not sure if that part is true.

Liv3rp00l
05-10-2017, 08:16 PM
7 minutes in, he hits the perfect idea.

A incremental reward system. For each season you remain with your faction, your reward increases.

I'd say a good number is 3 seasons.

Season 1 - Rank 1 reward
Season 2 - Rank 1 and 2 reward
Season 3 - Rank 1, 2, and 3 reward.

Of course the reward ranks would be chosen based on the prestige/rarity.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar; for example:

Season 1: You're with Faction (A), you lose the season.
Season 2: You stay with Faction (A) and as a reward, at the END of Season 2 (to ensure you stick with them the whole way through), you get a Cosmetic override for your armour.
- Season 3: You stay with Faction (A) and get a season 2 matching main-hand and off-hand cosmetic, along with some steel (numbers can be crunched/debated).
- Season 3: You leave Faction (A) for Faction (B) and your loyalty rewards now reset to indicate this.
- Season 4: Had you stayed with Faction (A) you now get an exclusive colour kit, emblem outlines, steel and ornaments, to match the rewards from Season 2.
- Season 4: Had you stayed with Faction (B), you now get your Cosmetic override on armour.

Of course each reward would be granted at the end of the season, to ensure all players remain and fight for said faction. They would also only be granted if said player had fought from the start of the round for said faction. No hopping in at round 3, or whatever.

This is all conjecture, and actual rewards and such could be debated and hashed out over time, but the idea and principal remains the same!

razabak10mm
05-10-2017, 08:20 PM
This is the whole problem. No one really knows how the faction war works. And the devs either don't know either, or don't want to share it with us.

I'm hoping this gets fixed next season. At least give us some transparency on how it works!

But I'm also hoping for my rewards from last season, stability issues to be fixed, hero balance, and my Raider buffs that were all promised a long time ago.

Needless to say I'm not holding my breath.

Lumina-US
05-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Brings up good points, but didn't really talk about the main issue, the non-existant balance. As he said, only the last 24 hours matter, but what truly matters in those 24hrs is to lose at the right time to gain the "loser" bonus during the last 2 refreshes. Doing this pretty much gaurentees the round win for the faction. Another issue is the population gap. According to the devs, the population was fairly even this season. Problem is, people are gonna start hopping ship. This will continually get worse as time goes on unless incentives are given to join the lower population factions."Loser" bonus my anus - if there really was/is such a thing, the Knights would have probably won the season by miles to go, considering we didn't even score a single round - Next!

There's not a single candylick of "strategy" or "tactic" in this thing - it's a poorly thought through wannabe Risk-Map game which is purely based on random luck and also clearly favours EST- over EU-based players, time-zone wise, nothing more to it.

UbiNoty
05-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Your concerns regarding the faction war are well-noted and we do want to look into ways to improve the faction war so that it is not only satisfying, but provides rewards and incentives that are consistent with the assets you deploy. While we might not see changes to the faction war system in S2, it is on our minds for the future. We've still got a lot of work to do and your feedback will help us a lot as we move forward and continue to make improvements.

Karma_Ghost
05-10-2017, 11:59 PM
"Loser" bonus my anus - if there really was/is such a thing, the Knights would have probably won the season by miles to go, considering we didn't even score a single round - Next!

There's not a single candylick of "strategy" or "tactic" in this thing - it's a poorly thought through wannabe Risk-Map game which is purely based on random luck and also clearly favours EST- over EU-based players, time-zone wise, nothing more to it.

There's a bonus for having a low territory count. That's why every time one faction drops in the 8-12 range, by the next 2 turns they're leading. Knights never won because they never got that bonus at a good time except in open beta. Because they generated less assets on average, they couldn't win without it. There were plenty of times where knights got it and gained majority control for 1-3 turns.

razabak10mm
05-11-2017, 12:06 AM
I cam in way after round three. like tha tail end of round 4... and I got my rewards for the faction war... dont see how others didn't. unless theirs a genuine bug preventing it, or people switched after the end of round 1 which would null any season rewards you would get... but that suckls for you and others either way.

Legit bug. Both the general board and support are full of threads about this. Ubi knows about it and supposedly is "working on it".

Liv3rp00l
05-11-2017, 12:24 AM
There's a bonus for having a low territory count. That's why every time one faction drops in the 8-12 range, by the next 2 turns they're leading. Knights never won because they never got that bonus at a good time except in open beta. Because they generated less assets on average, they couldn't win without it. There were plenty of times where knights got it and gained majority control for 1-3 turns.

"Loser" bonus my anus - if there really was/is such a thing, the Knights would have probably won the season by miles to go, considering we didn't even score a single round - Next!

Who do you believe with no tangible evidence... Personally, I've never heard of this, and feel the same as Lumina, though I did notice the Knights pushed right back to their 'Events' home point several times, before the next refresh they had pushed right back out again. So, who knows, until Ubisoft decide to tell us more intrinsically about how the Faction War works, all we're stuck with is speculation.

Father_Giliam
05-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Who do you believe with no tangible evidence... Personally, I've never heard of this, and feel the same as Lumina, though I did notice the Knights pushed right back to their 'Events' home point several times, before the next refresh they had pushed right back out again. So, who knows, until Ubisoft decide to tell us more intrinsically about how the Faction War works, all we're stuck with is speculation.

It was pointed out early on in the Closed Beta. You can literally see the bonus. Normally fronts start off at 50/50, when the bonus kicks in, its starts at 55/45.

Also, theres no way in hell that a Faction would not have lost is core territory by now if some kind of bonus wasnt in effect.

Kalsiner
05-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Also, theres no way in hell that a Faction would not have lost is core territory by now if some kind of bonus wasnt in effect.

Maybe because it is impossible to invade a core territory ?

Father_Giliam
05-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Maybe because it is impossible to invade a core territory ?

I was referring to the few territories surounding the "events" tile, should have made that more clear. I have yet to see one taken, although I may have missed one if it happened. They get pushed that far every so often.

Liv3rp00l
05-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Your concerns regarding the faction war are well-noted and we do want to look into ways to improve the faction war so that it is not only satisfying, but provides rewards and incentives that are consistent with the assets you deploy. While we might not see changes to the faction war system in S2, it is on our minds for the future. We've still got a lot of work to do and your feedback will help us a lot as we move forward and continue to make improvements.

This is very reassuring, thank you. I do hope that there will be a more direct discussion with the community, when the time comes to apply changes, before the changes are implemented. Thus making transitions smoother and negating any negativity that may come, if updates were pushed without consulting the community first.