PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft's stance on modding

leechtime
05-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Hi there,

From what I can tell, Ubisoft do not want people modding their games.

Cheating / Modding / Hacking: Player is running a modified or otherwise unauthorized version of the game client or a third party software providing an unfair advantage (wallhacks, aimhacks…) or causing detriment to other players’ experience:
- Maximum penalty is permanent ban.

I can understand if this causes cheating that it would be a problem. But the amount of enjoyment people can add to a game (free of charge) from modding PURELY AESTHETICS is huge. I'm not talking about mechanics, I'm talking about models, skins, sounds, textures...

I like to mod games as best I can, simply by changing the sounds in the game. I hoped to do this with For Honor for added hilarity for me and friends. But it appears impossible.

I thought this would be the best place to ask the question and see what other people thing. A long of long lasting and successful games not only allow modding but encourage it, and I think it's a big onus on Ubisoft to keep people invested in a game if they're the only people that can create content for it.

On a side note, why For Honor has "Gangnam style" buried within it's 20,000 plus sound files (for English anyway) is hilarious. I wish I knew the origin behind that. There's actually a lot of strange stuff we've all got downloaded that we'll never know about.

Long story short, if Ubisoft let us create and modify .pck files without endangering the risk of cheaters, and simply let people change the aesthetics of the game, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had. Food for thought.