PDA

View Full Version : Parry has to go!!

pRo-Olowain
05-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Title says it all.

For me 200+ hours played. it is clear as anything that parry in its current state is ruining the game.

Hope the devs come finally up with something more balanced. I appreciate their work they put in however they have to realize that parry in its current form is frustrating. The risk vs reward is tremendous. And to be honest its not really risky.

Varakharne
05-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Now you want to remove parry ? Probably one of the most skillful defensive moves in the game ? WOW !! Parries are not actually all the easy to do, its not like everyone can do them consistently. This is why feint attacks are a thing, use it.

Dhaleks
05-02-2017, 09:21 PM
I read somewhere that devs were experimenting on nerfing the parry.
Honestly, it wouldn't hurt the game to nerf the defense/turtle meta - and the parry (with that ******* free GB behind) is one of its most painfull aspects.

buhahh125
05-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Is this thread for real? :confused:

DrExtrem
05-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Now you want to remove parry ? Probably one of the most skillful defensive moves in the game ? WOW !! Parries are not actually all the easy to do, its not like everyone can do them consistently. This is why feint attacks are a thing, use it.

Yes ... but we are playing on console, where parrying is not that easy - especially light attacks.

He probably plays on PC.

Nerfing parry would utterly destroy the console version of the game.

pRo-Olowain
05-02-2017, 09:51 PM
indeed i play on pc! dont know how its on console with parry. But on pc i cant do a 2nd attack without being parried. unless ur lights are as fast as valk etc.

Pope138
05-02-2017, 10:11 PM
IMO, there is no game without parry. Even nerfing it is a bad idea.

DrExtrem
05-02-2017, 10:28 PM
indeed i play on pc! dont know how its on console with parry. But on pc i cant do a 2nd attack without being parried. unless ur lights are as fast as valk etc.

Totally different ball game.

Partying light attacks on console is something only the bots can do whenever they please.

I play warden and even after several hours of pure parry training I am not able to land crushing counters on light attacks it parry them. If I do, its luck. Over 350 hours and over 7k bots shanked.

Parrying valks and pks lights is nigh impossible. If you do it, its mostly luck or the result if an almost simultaneous attempt to attack each other. If you don't block the first light, the whole light combo is very likely to hit you.

Side dash attacks however, are not a big problem, because their wind up is usually long enough to memorize the sweet spot and they are easier to parry in general.

coll9502
05-02-2017, 11:11 PM
i seriously wish there was a thumbs down button on posts like there is for thumbs up. why the hell would you remove parry?!?. i never say this but...you need to get good. For people saying parrying on consoles is hard.....i really dont know what to say. If you cant react to an indicator you have problems. Not fast attacks obviously since they are almost impossible to even block with a slow character such as PKs or Valks lights

DrExtrem
05-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Heavy attacks are not the problem. Their reward is high and so is the risk (parry) of using them.

SlashingElbow
05-02-2017, 11:40 PM
You idiots are getting worse and worse lol. At this point all this nerfing requests has to be trolling. U cant have a damn weapon fighting system without parries.. You are really something else. You should go play ryse son of rome. There u can keep pressing x to attack. Think this game is to advanced for some of you. Your parents should not have bought you this game

Im on xbox one and the parry system is just fine. No problems at all. Whoever has probs with it is just slow in general

UbiJurassic
05-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback, pRo-Olowain. We currently don't have any intentions to remove parrying from the game, but we may look to adjust it in the future.

The_B0G_
05-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Can we get rid of light attacks too? And dodging as well? They are OP!

mrmistark
05-03-2017, 01:35 AM
Listen, parrying is something that isn't even that easy to master. You need to time it perfect and with many characters in the game all with different pace hits, it takes a lot of reading your opponent and often times a couple test parrys that can be detrimental to your health bar. The initial risk just to confirm the timing against the typical attacks when first getting warmed up is high. If you're going to be obvious about an attack then you SHOULD get parried and punished. That's where feinting comes in. Try practicing your skills at feinting and being unpredicatable in the bot duel mode against a lv3. You'll get so much better if you play against them over and over again.

Egotistic_Ez
05-03-2017, 02:05 AM
Parrying, even on console, isn't that hard. Light spam from a couple of characters on console is hard to parry, but that's it.

That said, removing parry isn't the answer. What they need (and are possibly doing) is to lower the amount of guaranteed follow ups and remove guaranteed GB. Then increase the penalty for out of stamina. That way parry is useful ONLY if you then go on the attack but, unlike now, that attack can be defended against.

Essentially it adds an ebb and flow to the game, rather than this turtle meta trash. It also makes parry more of a tactical option, rather than a requirement. If you think you can take the enemy without running them oos you don't need to parry (except unblockables ofc).

Jracoz
05-03-2017, 03:35 AM
I don't think parrying needs to be changed at all, since I main LB, (and no I am not a part of the Turtle Meta) a change to how the parry system works would throw off all of the LB's counter combos. Thus destroying the character in the process, I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of people out there that would see a change to the parrying system as a difference to the original mechanics of the game. I will agree that we need to find some way to work against the Turtle Meta, but changing how the parrying works is not the way to go about it.

l8knight347
05-03-2017, 06:37 AM
why not just get rid of the attack indicator?

Butonfly
05-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Is this thread for real? :confused:

It costs nothing to move your stance defensively, wait for your opponent to attack, then punish them for doing so followed with guaranteed damage just to rub it in.

Parries, unlike deflects, are super easy to do given the window to "catch" the incoming attack is the size of a football field.

Kitsune..
05-03-2017, 08:06 AM
I'll duplicate my post here probably :o I should also mention that I play on PC and that I'm convinced that balancing should be separate for PC and console. Also I believe that parry is not the core problem of this game, but the almighty blocking that counters almost every attack spoils all the fun.

Parrying a slow attack (despite it's light or heavy) should give a guaranteed light at best. Parrying a fast attack should be really well rewarded, maybe with an uncounterable GB.
Dividing attacks into light and heavy won't do much good here, because parrying Kensei's light attack != parrying PK's light attack, thus rewards should differ. Significant reduction on parry rewards might enforce people to simple blocking and negate feinting in general, so there should be an incentive to go for a parry.

UPD: Slow attacks (despite light or heavy) can also use some good amount of chip damage to encourage people to use them and to discourage simple blocking. The slower attack is the higher chip damage should be. Fast spammable attacks should not have chip damage in order not to encourage mindless spam. This way feinting will stay viable and ppl will look for ways to outsmart opponents by mixing lights and heavies etc rather then to spam the same stuff. Anyways, I'm completely sure that such changes need individual approach rather than some kind of overall one just to handle exceptions in the best way possible.

matt89connor
05-03-2017, 08:52 AM
parry has to remain,the problem is the defenive meta...for mine idea Parry should give only free light attack, GB and heavy can be stopped ,with right timming of course.

CoyoteXStarrk
05-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Parry doesn't need to go it just needs to be nerfed somehow.

Its far too easy to do and it has ridiculous upside.

As of right now it renders combos basically useless.

Hillbill79
05-03-2017, 09:47 AM
I play warden and even after several hours of pure parry training I am not able to land crushing counters on light attacks it parry them..

A crushing counter should not parry if you miss time it... It uses the wrong button for a parry. Or have you just miswrote the last bit?

bananaflow2017
05-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Dunno but on console l meet warden who definately parry my valks second light atack. I Feel like I hit a point in the game and it says: never chain anything that can be parried.
Yes i know valks lights are fast, but only the first one is really fast and the second one is slower. This wardens know that after a light allways fallows a slower light they an parry.
The parry goes so far that the only atack wardens do is a zone otherwise they wait dir a parry.....

firehead2015
05-03-2017, 03:01 PM
If parry gets removed it would put Kensei and Beserker into trash teir, having them to never resurface again. Both characters rely on feinting to get hits in. No bs combos, just feints and skill. If parry gets removed, there would be no reason for players to fall for feints and it would only reinforce the turtle meta even further. Please, before posting, please think about your post and whether or not you sound like someone who spent 20 hours on the game and then went and downvoted it on steam.

wethebishop
05-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Hmmm....

But, in my experience, people who try to parry everything are the easiest to beat because they are so susceptible to feints. When they try to parry, you have a window for a light attack, or, depending on the character, a GB.

The problem is people who just block everything because you have no opportunity to get any damage on them. Parrying carries risk in this game, whereas blocks are completely safe.

However, the existence of parrying, and the fact that light attacks that are blocked stop a chain, makes it so you can't finish chains, and so the flow of the game is disrupted. The combat doesn't flow very well nor does it feel exciting. They can find a way to fix this by adding more depth into the mechanics.

DrExtrem
05-03-2017, 04:08 PM
A crushing counter should not parry if you miss time it... It uses the wrong button for a parry. Or have you just miswrote the last bit?

It should have been an "or".

Crushing counter and parry are using the same time frame.

JonYurBz
05-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Totally different ball game.

Partying light attacks on console is something only the bots can do whenever they please.

I play warden and even after several hours of pure parry training I am not able to land crushing counters on light attacks it parry them. If I do, its luck. Over 350 hours and over 7k bots shanked.

Parrying valks and pks lights is nigh impossible. If you do it, its mostly luck or the result if an almost simultaneous attempt to attack each other. If you don't block the first light, the whole light combo is very likely to hit you.

Side dash attacks however, are not a big problem, because their wind up is usually long enough to memorize the sweet spot and they are easier to parry in general.

Yep. The light spam is a different beast on console. Not fun.

King_Duncan_VII
05-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Maybe it's not a good thing to have such a high frame rate on PC since things are so easy to counter and block.

wethebishop
05-03-2017, 04:58 PM
You can easily parry light attacks on console, especially the valk's and nobushi's.

You should move the stick into the direction of the attack and do the heavy attack simultaneously, as soon as you see the indicator. Practice it against a level 3 valkyrie bot. It will become easy quickly.

Maybe you guys are using TV's with input lag. Check this by seeing how long of a delay there is after pressing a jump button in some game. You can't play this game with input lag.

PDXGorechild
05-03-2017, 05:32 PM
I think they should take parry out and make it so everyone has to deflect like us Assassins. Everybody but the shield users, cause realistically all you have to do is hold it there. If a warden held up his sword to parry like he does in the game he'd be getting his own sword driven into his neck after a couple blows.

DrExtrem
05-03-2017, 06:31 PM
You can easily parry light attacks on console, especially the valk's and nobushi's.

DON'T switch guard AND THEN press heavy attack. Instead, you should move the stick into the direction of the attack and do the heavy attack simultaneously, as soon as you see the indicator. Practice it against a level 3 valkyrie bot. It will become easy quickly.

Maybe you guys are using TV's with input lag. Check this by seeing how long of a delay there is after pressing a jump button in some game. You can't play this game with input lag.

And how much neurotransmitters do I have to take to taste the change?

Really. ... this can not be perceived by the human eye.

There is a delay, the 30 fps restriction is not helpful and the controller and network lag do the rest.

But your parry tactic is guessing, that the enemy will attack from the sane angle and then preemptively press rt.

Great strategy ... :rolleyes:

bananaflow2017
05-03-2017, 07:07 PM
The atack doesnt need to be hit at the same direction für the parry.
I allways switch directions with my valk lights and really good wardens often parry it. And yes i try every direction.....

It's just a question of practise.

wethebishop
05-03-2017, 08:22 PM
And how much neurotransmitters do I have to take to taste the change?

Really. ... this can not be perceived by the human eye.

There is a delay, the 30 fps restriction is not helpful and the controller and network lag do the rest.

But your parry tactic is guessing, that the enemy will attack from the sane angle and then preemptively press rt.

Great strategy ... :rolleyes:

No, my parry tactic isn't guessing. It's not even a tactic. It's just parrying light attacks. You don't need to guess at all. Just react. If I fail on parrying the first light attack of a valk, then I easily get the second.

It really isn't difficult. I play on xbox one.

I think you misunderstood me because of the way I worded and capitalized my post. I'll edit it.

What's your gamertag? I'll add you tomorrow.

pRo-Olowain
05-03-2017, 08:45 PM
May idea was never removing parry from the game. I perhaps didnt make that clear enough. But as you can see on several posts that people find it even easy to PARRY valk light attacks says it all.

And thats the point where im coming from. WHY having chainattacks? You simply cant use any kind of chain against a better player because you will get parried 95%. Therefore what is the whole

idea of this game if the only attacks you can do are "save attacks (Warden zone attack, pk lights ......). Everyone is more or less just waiting for that parry meanwhile they just spam save attacks over

and over again.

And that takes the joy out of the game.

I am enjoying it when you play lower skilled players because you think, "hey for **** sake i was just able to do a chain of 2 attacks without being parried, awesome."

DrExtrem
05-03-2017, 08:54 PM
And those people play on PC to about 99%

wethebishop
05-03-2017, 09:08 PM
And those people play on PC to about 99%

You can parry light attacks on console consistently, too... if you can react to block it, you can react to parry it.

If you're having trouble reacting, then I really think you should check your TV's input lag by using a different game and seeing how responsive it is to your commands.

DrExtrem
05-03-2017, 09:18 PM
I can react to block ... the first strike is not a problem.

Except pk.

But I fail to parry light attacks. I simply can not find the sweet spot.

Nonetheless. You can not expect that people buy a 5 thousand € tv screen, to squeeze out the last few milliseconds. Its simply bad balancing.

wethebishop
05-03-2017, 09:24 PM
I can react to block ... the first strike is not a problem.

Except pk.

But I fail to parry light attacks. I simply can not find the sweet spot.

Nonetheless. You can not expect that people buy a 5 thousand € tv screen, to squeeze out the last few milliseconds. Its simply bad balancing.

As soon as you see the attack coming, slam the right stick into the proper guard stance while simultaneously pulling the right trigger. Do those two things together as soon as you see the red. That will parry the light attack.

King_Duncan_VII
05-06-2017, 06:57 PM

You should move the stick into the direction of the attack and do the heavy attack simultaneously, as soon as you see the indicator. Practice it against a level 3 valkyrie bot. It will become easy quickly.

You cannot "easily" parry. You are an outlier of the many who can "easily" parry lights. I doubt there is any input lag. It's the 30 FPS that even top PC players say is more difficult to play and parry lights.