PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit when already in that Guard Pos.

J-HovTheKnolls
05-02-2017, 07:44 PM
It used to happen once in awhile, seems like it has tripled.

HiTeHa
05-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Its old issue. Some ppls show video proofs here. Non working guard -> block and parry. Ubisoft have bad coders ...thats all!

Mia.Nora
05-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Does not have anything to do with coding. It is simply because they intentionally avoided using lockstep to mislead people into thinking their P2P model is very fast and reactive. What you see is simply that;

You input command
Your computer immediately displays the execution of that input
But in reality this input has to travel to host, get authorized and then come back to your computer to tell it is good to go
If by the time host received your input, it is already too late to block/parry then the attacks go through, but the block animation was already displayed on your screen.

Path of Exile tried to use that trick for years, they even insisted on not putting lockstep to keep the game *feel* faster and more reactive. It cost them majority of their playerbase due to the desynch caused, and even then they eventually had to change it and add lockstep to the game.

Pope138
05-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Does not have anything to do with coding. It is simply because they intentionally avoided using lockstep to mislead people into thinking their P2P model is very fast and reactive. What you see is simply that;

You input command
Your computer immediately displays the execution of that input
But in reality this input has to travel to host, get authorized and then come back to your computer to tell it is good to go
If by the time host received your input, it is already too late to block/parry then the attacks go through, but the block animation was already displayed on your screen.

Path of Exile tried to use that trick for years, they even insisted on not putting lockstep to keep the game *feel* faster and more reactive. It cost them majority of their playerbase due to the desynch caused, and even then they eventually had to change it and add lockstep to the game.

Interesting, I've never heard of this. I'll have to look up lockstep.
Do we have proof that this is happening in FH? If so, like we needed another reason for dedicated servers...

Mia.Nora
05-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Interesting, I've never heard of this. I'll have to look up lockstep.
Do we have proof that this is happening in FH? If so, like we needed another reason for dedicated servers...

Yes there is proof, there is a professional network analysis done in February measuring display desynchronization with high speed camera using two high end computers side by side.

Result was 110~ms desynch between two displays, where the computer input is given on immediately display the execution of that input and other one (obviously) has to wait for the input to reach and processed. Lockstep prevents this issue since all computers display input at same time including the computer input comes from. Every competitive team based game worth its salt has this inbuilt.

You can find that video on youtube

Pope138
05-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Yes there is proof, there is a professional network analysis done in February measuring display desynchronization with high speed camera using two high end computers side by side.

Result was 110~ms desynch between two displays, where the computer input is given on immediately display the execution of that input and other one (obviously) has to wait for the input to reach and processed. Lockstep prevents this issue since all computers display input at same time including the computer input comes from. Every competitive team based game worth its salt has this inbuilt.

You can find that video on youtube

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.