PDA

View Full Version : Can I play this solo?

guest-W09lZfCQ
05-02-2017, 04:04 PM
I am extremely shy, and although I love Star Trek I know crap about it. So I was wondering if there is any solo game play on this?

delatorre32
05-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Yes there is solo play included. :-)

Hiyate20
05-08-2017, 07:35 AM
yes you can play single player with 3 npc's filling in the stations. single players will always play as the captain. The only downside to this is that i think they mentioned somewhere in the forums that you will need internet connection so its going to be a lot like Diablo III (its the only game that comes to mind atm) where while you can solo play, you will need constant internet connection to play it.

SpaceCentreNZ
06-05-2017, 04:19 AM
The solo play does work but it becomes difficult because you're trying to do several people's jobs at the same time. Unless I'm missing something I have to keep taking over other stations to perform tasks and it quickly starts feeling like trying to herd cats. It's fun but it feels a bit too obvious that you're a single person trying to do things that were designed to be done by a team.

I'm also shy and not really interested in playing with other real people. I hope the single-player mode of this game improves because it's just so cool and I could see my retirement years (not too far away) being spent doing bugger all else than playing this game.

Lt._Cmdr._Ryan
06-05-2017, 05:33 AM
Well then, this is a perfect opportunity to step out of your comfort zone! Because the multi-player co-op is truly where this game shines. No one sees your face or knows who your are... you may find that you open up a little.

I'd say the only position that 'needs' an outgoing person is Captain. In my opinion, the Captain is like the dungeon master of the game, bringing the role-playing aspect out in everyone. If the captain can't play the part, it affects everyone. If the captain is too serious, the game isn't as fun.

You can play solo, but if you want a truly fun immersive experience, try joining a game. Play Helm or Engineering. The most you have to say is "aye aye captain."

Also, you'll find plenty of gamers in their 30s 40s and 50s. This isn't just a game for kids.

It's helpful to play through the missions in solo to learn how to best play them, and yes, you do end up jumping to positions a lot and quickly, but you're missing out in an amazing gaming/Star Trek experience if you don't try multiplayer co-op.

WeirdWizardDave
06-05-2017, 07:36 AM
The solo play does work but it becomes difficult because you're trying to do several people's jobs at the same time. Unless I'm missing something I have to keep taking over other stations to perform tasks and it quickly starts feeling like trying to herd cats. It's fun but it feels a bit too obvious that you're a single person trying to do things that were designed to be done by a team..

You do know about the AI order menu right? On the Vive it's UP on the right controller dpad. It's context sensitive to the crew member you're looking at, crucially there is also general orders when looking straight ahead which the whole crew respond to. For example if you want to attack a ship, target it in you map then give the general order Engage Target and helm will fly towards and try to keep it in the front arc, Tactical will fire phasers (and photon torpedoes if armed), engineering will balance power for combat, etc. Obviously you can jump to each station and take over if you want, but I've found the only station I need to do that with is helm if I'm trying to be stealthy. Everything else is easily done with crew orders and actually is a surprisingly fun way to play. Not as much fun as multiplayer with a half decent crew, but fun none the less, especially if you just want a quick bash without the hassle of match making, etc :)

I'd also echo what the poster above said regarding giving multiplayer a go and only really the captain needing to be outgoing. Its true, I've had several perfectly good games with non-talkative crew members (although they tend to start to come out of their shells eventually :D). Helm is a good station to favour as there really isn't anything the captain needs you to tell him and while an occasional "Ready to warp" or "course laid in" is fun its really just fluff ;-)

BB_Coolcat
06-05-2017, 07:58 AM
You might be interested to know that there are plans to integrate IBM Watson into the game, so you can give actual verbal orders to AI crew. We will have to see how smart the AI will be with that. My guess would be it will just recognize the few AI commands that are currently already there, just replacing the cumbersome menu.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15621930/star-trek-bridge-crew-voice-commands-ibm-watson