PDA

View Full Version : Dominion players, read this

ArlianDeBias
04-30-2017, 05:20 AM
I've made this guide to help out anyone who may be new or struggling in Dominion matches. These are a few tips and things I see which people could improve on to make them much more effective when playing Dominion. This guide also applies to experienced players, as this should be general knowledge for everyone.

1. Learn how your character gains Renown
Renown are the points you get during the round which unlocks your character Feats as time goes along. Every character has a class, and every class has a different way to optimally gain renown. For example, Heavy characters earn more renown by assisting and saving heroes and defending objectives, while Assassin characters earn more renown by killing enemy heroes and getting kill streaks.

Why is this important? Well, Feats are powerful and getting them first gives you the upper hand against your enemies. You should be using the optimal way to get renown whenever possible. This means that Assassins shouldn't be sitting on points engaging nobody, and Heavies shouldn't be allergic to defending their own points and reviving others. Sure, you can play this way, but you're going to be playing poorly and putting yourself at a disadvantage against enemies who play to their characters roles.

2. Stop camping the minion spawn
It is absolutely infuriating to see someone camping the minion spawn when their help is obviously needed elsewhere. There are multiple reasons why you shouldn't be camping the minion spawn:

You can't boost the minion spawn. If you're not engaging an enemy to stop them from taking it, and you're not killing soldiers to gain Renown as a Vanguard, there is no reason for you to be there.
You are putting your team at a disadvantage in team fights. Sitting on the minion spawn opens up the enemy team to group up and outnumber your allies, taking and boosting the other points and winning the game.
Your help could most likely be used elsewhere. Whether it's boosting a point or just helping your team mates out, it's most likely that doing anything other than camping the minion spawn will be helping your team better.

As mentioned above, there is an exception for Vanguards as they gain renown quickly from killing soldiers. This still doesn't mean you should ignore your team and kill soldiers all game.

3. Practice your team / game awareness
Dominion is all about holding points for long enough that you push your score over 1000 so that you can eliminate the enemy team first. This means that taking and holding points should be your top priority. You must be aware of how many points your team controls at all times, and be ready to take unattended points or help out in team fights on existing points. I have to stress that Dominion is not Elimination and ignoring objectives so that you can kill enemies is a quick way to lose the game.

Practice looking at who controls what point and consider where your time would be best used, and practice looking for your team mates to see if they are in need of any help when you are unoccupied. If there is an unoccupied point, go and cap it. If your team is losing a fight, go and help them. Doing these things will make you a much more valuable team member.

I know this may seem like common sense, but I'm amazed by the amount of people I see playing who don't understand the very basics mentioned above, and it sucks when they're on my team. I hope I can help at least some people so that they're less of a burden on their team.

JamaasK
04-30-2017, 06:09 AM
Generally, heavies should hold point, assassins run around looking for kills and to take points, and vanguard hold and kill soldiers.

Heavies are slow and can hold well - boost point priority

assassins are fast and can't kill soldiers quickly - Run around support other players

and vanguards can wipe soldiers quickly - Kill soldiers priority, boost and help other players if point is secure

kweassa1917
04-30-2017, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the excellent write-up.

Delta1038
04-30-2017, 08:21 AM
When I read this all I could think to myself was I am still amazed at people and not usually in a good way. OP, you are 150% right on this. Dominion is supposed to be a team based game focused on objectives and yet I see some of worst teamwork and sense of tactical thinking from people in my life here. I get so sick of watching people constantly attack the minion spawns and the other teams spawn until they die at which point they spam the 'revive me' quick chat and often times refuse to revive when the timer they can. Annoying I have found this more with higher ranked players in matches leaving me with the attitude where I would rather have less skilled people who are smarter on my team because we will do better in general because of it.

tonycawley69
04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
The reason people camp the minion spawn is the order for kill x minions in dominion. While that's still an order, people will continue to do it.

Delta1038
04-30-2017, 09:18 AM
There are plenty of people who do it even when it is not an order, for reasons that are beyond me. I also was referring to that as just one particular annoyance in Dominion. In general I tend to see plenty of skilled people with poor tactics and even worse teamwork. But in truth this is not the first game I have noticed that from the general population in games so I probably should not be surprised.

Evilpact
04-30-2017, 09:36 AM
All valid points however it requires a team. Objective-based PvP matches have ALWAYS been **** when there are other game modes that just require killing.

The prime issue in Dominion is if you queue solo, you have 3 other people the same color as you but not an actual team. Everyone is pretending its Skirmish or Elimination, some vaguely have some direction but and when they lose, they say " Don't blame me....I had the most kills. Git GuD! (with zero objectives)

kweassa1917
04-30-2017, 09:40 AM
All valid points however it requires a team. Objective-based PvP matches have ALWAYS been **** when there are other game modes that just require killing.

The prime issue in Dominion is if you queue solo, you have 3 other people the same color as you but not an actual team. Everyone is pretending its Skirmish or Elimination, some vaguely have some direction but and when they lose, they say " Don't blame me....I had the most kills. Git GuD! (with zero objectives)

Not really. All you need is experienced players -- since experienced players instinctively know what is needed where, and how the situation fares.

Been in plenty of games where a PUG of experienced individuals beat normal-level premades without even exchanging single word on chat or voice. Experience and playing makes it possible.

(ps) of course, by "experience" I mean general awareness, not pure combat skill. Sometimes I see people with really good 1v1 skills, and yet terrible understanding of what's going around them. Often a good combatant is also aware, but sometimes those traits may be separated.

Evilpact
04-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Not really. All you need is experienced players -- since experienced players instinctively know what is needed where, and how the situation fares.

Been in plenty of games where a PUG of experienced individuals beat normal-level premades without even exchanging single word on chat or voice. Experience and playing makes it possible.

(ps) of course, by "experience" I mean general awareness, not pure combat skill. Sometimes I see people with really good 1v1 skills, and yet terrible understanding of what's going around them. Often a good combatant is also aware, but sometimes those traits may be separated.

There are outliers however getting solid teamwork from Randos is not common in my experience.

Illyrian_King
04-30-2017, 01:19 PM
2. Stop camping the minion spawn
It is absolutely infuriating to see someone camping the minion spawn when their help is obviously needed elsewhere. There are multiple reasons why you shouldn't be camping the minion spawn:

You can't boost the minion spawn. If you're not engaging an enemy to stop them from taking it, and you're not killing soldiers to gain Renown as a Vanguard, there is no reason for you to be there.
You are putting your team at a disadvantage in team fights. Sitting on the minion spawn opens up the enemy team to group up and outnumber your allies, taking and boosting the other points and winning the game.
Your help could most likely be used elsewhere. Whether it's boosting a point or just helping your team mates out, it's most likely that doing anything other than camping the minion spawn will be helping your team better.

At this point I have to correct you drastically: This is btw one of the MOST effective ways to get a sh*t load of points! Every minion gives you 1 point, and if you slaughter them in masses with AoEs you get like 10points in 1sec ... a hero kill gives you only 5 points in most cases.

You can't imagine how often I had a score of like 700renown in the end of a match :rolleyes:

Camping the spawn point ... savaging minions and killing respawning heroes, while my "useful" team runs across the field with no clue, what they are supposed to do.

ArlianDeBias
04-30-2017, 01:45 PM
At this point I have to correct you drastically: This is btw one of the MOST effective ways to get a sh*t load of points! Every minion gives you 1 point, and if you slaughter them in masses with AoEs you get like 10points in 1sec ... a hero kill gives you only 5 points in most cases.

You can't imagine how often I had a score of like 700renown in the end of a match :rolleyes:

Camping the spawn point ... savaging minions and killing respawning heroes, while my "useful" team runs across the field with no clue, what they are supposed to do.

The issue arises when the enemy team ignores you and decides to cap the other points, which will be an easier task for them since your team is effectively down by one player.

Don't get me wrong, going back to the minion spawn every once in a while to clear minions for some extra points and to make sure it doesn't get taken easily is a good thing to do. It's when you camp the minion spawn and ignore your team and the other points that it becomes a major problem.

AgentCelt
04-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Another tip would be to not wait for enemies to engage you in the zone you're defending. When you hold a zone you get 2 points per second. When you're outside a zone you get 1 point per second. People tend to wait for an enemy to come into the zone and then the zone goes neutral and you're getting 0 point per second. If you engage before he gets to the zone you're defending, the zone generates 1 point per second while you take care of the enemy, then step back into the zone for 2 point per second again.

bmason1000
04-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Another tip would be to not wait for enemies to engage you in the zone you're defending. When you hold a zone you get 2 points per second. When you're outside a zone you get 1 point per second. People tend to wait for an enemy to come into the zone and then the zone goes neutral and you're getting 0 point per second. If you engage before he gets to the zone you're defending, the zone generates 1 point per second while you take care of the enemy, then step back into the zone for 2 point per second again.

For real. I don't know when it clicked in my head that this is the way to do it, but i immediately felt like an idiot that i hadn't always done that.

bmason1000
04-30-2017, 05:56 PM
As for assassins and minions, berserker is a minion killing champion. If you go parallel across the line with the zone attack, you practically neutralized that zone in one attack. Also if you lock and use his infinite chain, instead of free roam attacks, it just flows and annihilates hordes reallll smooth like.

xLeapingLizardx
04-30-2017, 08:16 PM
YESSS!!! Thank you for this!
I am soo sick and tired of anytime I play an assassin I get stuck defending a point because my team wants to go play skirmish... Especially when there is a rep 8 Conqueror on my team!?!

The way I see it:
Heavies: defend the point nearest the spawn (or if the points are equally distant from your spawn, whichever point you guys want)
Vanguards: should start off going straight to the soldier zone and cap that and then help where needed while routinely checking back in to recapture the soldier zone.
Assassins: With an assassin I usually like to start by going straight to the enemy zone/ the opposite zone my heavy is going to defend. 2 reasons why I believe it's smart: If the enemy aren't boosting it, that's is a free cap for you and you can stay there and boost it until the enemy finally realizes it and goes back to recap, or better yet, an enemy will be running back from an almost lost fight with little health to heal at the zone only to find out that they can't heal in that point. (So if the whole enemy team is 4 man gank squadding the soldier zone they will have to break off to come and get their point back, effectively helping your team point wise and enemy positioning control-wise.) The other reason why I think it's a good idea is if there is an enemy boosting it then once you go in there and fight the booster, you will be rendering the points they are getting from that zone useless while fighting and contesting it..
Hybrid: Should basically pick up where the team lacks. Or just help where the help is most needed.

My general Dominion tips:
If you are fighting outside of a zone an enemy has, you are doing it plain wrong... Any time you fight anywhere near an enemy held zone, fight your fight in that zone so they won't get any points from that zone during your fight.
Like AgentCelt said, try to fight/keep an enemy outside of a zone you have for as long as possible. This tip goes right along with the previous one.
If you ever want to know if someone is on a point look at the top right score and you should see the zones. If one of them has plus 2 on it then someone is currently on that point.. This has many uses. If you are an assassin (or any character really) you can immediately tell if you can capture a particular zone without a fight. You can tell whether or not your team is boosting like they should and if they are not you can go and do it yourself. If you are on the map "sanctuary bridge" (the map with the traps/gates that slam down from pulling the lever.) you can immediately tell if an enemy can pull the specific lever that is on the zone. If there is a plus 2 on the zone I won't go through the way with the trap that corresponds with the lever on that point, If there isn't a plus 2, you automatically know that no one will pull the lever because no one is there.
Realize the importance of stalling.. If you are getting outnumbered at any time, just remember that that means less resistance for your teammates at that time. There were many times where as an assassin I would go and cap the point closes to the enemies spawn zone and boost it. The enemy would then spawn and come running to that zone to take it from me. I may kill 1 or 2 but after a while the enemy may ask for help and then surely enough I've got 3 or 4 people running at me to finally take their zone back. I would just dodge around all of their attacks, roll around, block a few, dodge (but stay in that zone so they can't capture it). I may eventually die but guess what? I just had the entire or 3/4 or even 2/4 of the enemy team wasting their valuable time getting zero points for their team (except for the 5 or w/e they got from killing me) while my team was able to boost the other zone and capture the soldier zone and potentially come to help me.

Anyways sorry for this long post lol, just wanted to share my insight..

UbiNoty
05-01-2017, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the helpful guide ArlianDeBias! And everyone else for sharing dominion tips/strategies!

Supercool5150
05-01-2017, 06:01 PM
I play mainly Dominion and this thread has very good tips so I thought I'd throw my own in. USE your beacon!!! I don't care if I get a kill or not, but if I walk into a 2v1 situation I hit the beacon to let my team know help is needed. Now I may or may not win the 2v1 but I don't chance it because I know I am suppose to have a team. I get it, sometimes everyone is caught up in their own fight, but when I see 2 of our team fighting minions uselessly well................It just pisses me off. So I'll say it again...Don't be afraid to use your beacon. It also lets your team know it's cool to jump in because some people won't... thinking they are trying to do the right thing.

laugmanden
05-01-2017, 11:50 PM
I do appreciate the time you took to write this.
But you are blaming all the new players for failing in a game, that is filled with anti-social people.

I was of course camping the mob-spawn area in the begining, because I did not understand the mechanics behind it, and also because I felt safer inside with the crowd.
I then noticed that it wasn't optimal, and changed my play style. However more than often I see my teammates running away from combat because they are just cheesing and farming zones. (So it becomes a running game, instead of a fighting game.)
I always try to be a good teamplayer, I will always sacrifice myself so my teammate will live.
But when I go into a fight to help a teamplayer and he sees that as an oppertunity to run away and capture another zone, you just get demoralized, when you come to the forums, and get told to l2p by the sweet social people on these forums, you just further polarize the situation.
Combine that with your passive-aggresive and condesending "guide" to us scrubs, just goes to show that; "as you make your bed, so shall you sleep in it."

GL HF with a dying game!

laugmanden
05-01-2017, 11:51 PM
This thread is not a guide, its a place for pros to **********! (WTF I am not allowed to use that word.)

I will reformulate.

This is a place for pros to create their positive feedback loop.

xLeapingLizardx
05-02-2017, 12:04 AM
I do appreciate the time you took to write this.
But you are blaming all the new players for failing in a game, that is filled with anti-social people.

I was of course camping the mob-spawn area in the begining, because I did not understand the mechanics behind it, and also because I felt safer inside with the crowd.
I then noticed that it wasn't optimal, and changed my play style. However more than often I see my teammates running away from combat because they are just cheesing and farming zones. (So it becomes a running game, instead of a fighting game.)
I always try to be a good teamplayer, I will always sacrifice myself so my teammate will live.
But when I go into a fight to help a teamplayer and he sees that as an oppertunity to run away and capture another zone, you just get demoralized, when you come to the forums, and get told to l2p by the sweet social people on these forums, you just further polarize the situation.
Combine that with your passive-aggresive and condesending "guide" to us scrubs, just goes to show that; "as you make your bed, so shall you sleep in it."

GL HF with a dying game!

IDK why I am responding to this because you seem to be a For Honor hater going off of your ending sentence..

No one is blaming new players.. We are trying to help people who load up an objective based game and don't end up playing the objectives.. It may have been this game or a different one that said, on the loading screen, "share your tips and tricks to the community/forum to help continue a competitive gaming experience for everyone."
Even in my post I talked about a rep 9 conq who didn't boost an objective like they are supposed to do. He is rep 9 so he is by no means a new player.

No one said anything about being pro.

We just want people on our teams who know how to play/how dominion works as well as enemies who know how it works to create a fair and competitive/close game each time. No land slides one way or the other.

Just a small side note on when you said "you help a teammate but then they just use that as an opportunity to cap a zone." That can be a very good tactic because if they successfully cap it they can heal up and then potentially come back and help you finish the fight..

Anyways, as for myself, (and likely most everyone on here) didn't mean to offend you at all. Just giving tips for a game in the game's forums...

CaynAldan
05-02-2017, 12:07 AM
There is a reason to camp heroes spawn: neutralize them at the begining. But this work only with all the team doing it and... it sucks...

laugmanden
05-02-2017, 12:30 AM
*snip*.

I am not a "hater" whatever the f**k that means.
Listen to Bob; There is too little time in life for me to hate anyone.

If you want players on the team that plays exactly the way you want, you should be in a clan, not playing scrubs in pugs.

You are not trying to help, you are passive aggressive and condescending. While you are creating a positive feedback loop, where you can tell each other how pro and leet you are.

If I help someone being assaulted, and they use that help, to get away, leaving me to fight 2-3 players alone, I don't care if that is good "tactics" in your head, its bad teamplay.

Also, I am not offended, stop assuming you know anything about me, you are obviously stuck with your prejudice. (i.e. accusing of hate etc.)

xLeapingLizardx
05-02-2017, 12:56 AM
I am not a "hater" whatever the f**k that means.
Listen to Bob; There is too little time in life for me to hate anyone.

If you want players on the team that plays exactly the way you want, you should be in a clan, not playing scrubs in pugs.

You are not trying to help, you are passive aggressive and condescending. While you are creating a positive feedback loop, where you can tell each other how pro and leet you are.

If I help someone being assaulted, and they use that help, to get away, leaving me to fight 2-3 players alone, I don't care if that is good "tactics" in your head, its bad teamplay.

Also, I am not offended, stop assuming you know anything about me, you are obviously stuck with your prejudice. (i.e. accusing of hate etc.)

My apologies, maybe hater wasn't the correct word. Also, I didn't say you hated anyone, just that you hated the game (which again may not be the best choice of words). I was just going based off of you saying "HF with a dying game" already doesn't sound like you are too fond of the game to begin with... (Also I am weary of who I reply to on these forums now due to encountering people who say "I was just trolling you, idiot" after a simple discussion...)

I don't want players who play exactly like me, I want players to know that there are better ways to play it. Especially since the actual game does not do a very good job at all of explaining the game modes in detail. Tips are tips, take them or leave them..

To say I (we) are not trying to help doesn't hold when that is exactly my intention whether you see that or not... And "tell each other how leet and pro we are"? What? I don't consider myself pro.. I have just picked up on a couple things and wanted to share them with people who may not have the same knowledge.. If someone knew something I didn't that would help me, I'd happily accept the tips.

To be fair, in your post I responded to, you didn't say that you were helping someone who was getting outnumbered.. I thought you meant that you went to help a teammate fight vs. 1 guy and then he ran to cap a point and heal, which is a good play. But if you ran to him to help him fight against 2 or 3 enemies and he runs, then yeah that is pretty messed up for him to leave you like that...

Another apology then, I assumed you were somewhat offended since you took the time to write this and said that we were being passive-aggressive and condescending to you scrubs (not calling you a scrub, just going with the fact that you said "us")...
Lastly, I have no prejudice. I was just honestly shocked that you responded to a thread meant to help people in such a negative way is all....

laugmanden
05-02-2017, 01:09 AM
Hey Lizard, you are a cool dude.
My gripe is with Ubisoft, but then again, analyzing my ****, it's probably more about society as a whole. Which this is not the place to talk about something like that.

I think this game is EPIC, and I have been waiting for it for a long time.
I love the mechanics, the art and even the pop representation of knights, samurai, and Vikings.

You are not the representation of what is objectively a better way to play the game.
There are so many factors that play into a game, and I haven't even started to mention the meta.

You might be trying to help, my original reply was to the OP. (I might also have overinterpreted your; YES FINALLY SOMEONE SPEAKEST TEH TRUTH!)

To be fair to you, I took the worst example (the helping 1 teammate, and then all the sudden fighting 3 opponents, while he ran.) That example has only happened ONCE.
However, it is normal for me to be helping a teammate, only to see them run off. (Now you gave an explanation for that, and that might be the case, still leaving a teammate behind that just helped you, is a no go in MY world.)

Also, all apologies are accepted, and I will give you one as well.

I am sorry for being over-sensitive, and taking my frustrations out on you:
Thank you for taking the time to having a civil discourse.

xLeapingLizardx
05-02-2017, 01:28 AM
Hey Lizard, you are a cool dude.
My gripe is with Ubisoft, but then again, analyzing my ****, it's probably more about society as a whole. Which this is not the place to talk about something like that.

I think this game is EPIC, and I have been waiting for it for a long time.
I love the mechanics, the art and even the pop representation of knights, samurai, and Vikings.

You are not the representation of what is objectively a better way to play the game.
There are so many factors that play into a game, and I haven't even started to mention the meta.

You might be trying to help, my original reply was to the OP. (I might also have overinterpreted your; YES FINALLY SOMEONE SPEAKEST TEH TRUTH!)

To be fair to you, I took the worst example (the helping 1 teammate, and then all the sudden fighting 3 opponents, while he ran.) That example has only happened ONCE.
However, it is normal for me to be helping a teammate, only to see them run off. (Now you gave an explanation for that, and that might be the case, still leaving a teammate behind that just helped you, is a no go in MY world.)

Also, all apologies are accepted, and I will give you one as well.

I am sorry for being over-sensitive, and taking my frustrations out on you:
Thank you for taking the time to having a civil discourse.

Thanks!
As for my "Yes finally someone speakest teh truth" statement was rooted in aggravation from past games. People not boosting, not contesting, not capping etc. etc. often has me yelling at my tv for someone to please cap something lol. (Similar to like if I were playing basketball and I wanted my teammate to pass to the open teammate or to shoot the open shot, it sparks my competitive nature.) It had me wanting to do a post similar to this one; a post meant to help people know how to get points quicker and more effectively in dominion. So when I saw this post it sort of resonated with me I guess.

Thank you for accepting my apologies and I accept yours!

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to actually have a civil discussion stay and end civil! So another thanks to you!

guffffff
05-02-2017, 10:36 AM
How many Dominion players have had a game of Skirmish for a change and STILL gone to point A wondering why its not changed colour

Gray360UK
05-02-2017, 10:39 AM
How many Dominion players have had a game of Skirmish for a change and STILL gone to point A wondering why its not changed colour

LOL Yes :o

DrinkinMyStella
05-02-2017, 01:04 PM
I sit and defend A or C with my Valk.