PDA

View Full Version : An observation (Dominion)

Evilpact
04-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Two players working together in a voice channel can GREATLY change the outcome of this game type. Now, Take with that, quite a few players (All of us) are having to play vs players that are not only on a team (in a group), they severely out gear everyone. It become s a farmfest and not fun very quickly. That due to the filters not working or that the player base is low enough that any match is better than no match so the system makes groups....any groups.

Seeing there is no Honor (aka 1v1) in Dominion, if you take all the aforementioned information and 2v1 3v1 and the blessed 4v1 become common. Also, now factor in they have cut the balls off of revenge...it makes the game mode....terrible. literally just being farmed in record times.

Why dont i play another game mode you ask? I cant connect to one. Haven't been able to for a week. However,that is beside the point. I think Dominion should be a solo queue. I think it will help IMMENSELY or at least until the filters are working.

Thoughts?

Arekonator
04-29-2017, 12:13 PM
- team-based mode
- "lets prevent players from forming teams"

Yeah, not hapening.

Evilpact
04-29-2017, 12:16 PM
- team-based mode
- "lets prevent players from forming teams"

Yeah, not hapening.

Then a team queue and a solo queue. If you read what i wrote.....its growing pointless to solo queue. about 1 out of 9 are competitive matches. The rest are steamrolls. You may think that's working as intended....as the filters are BROKEN...i assure you it is not.

Tundra 793
04-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Two players working together in a voice channel can GREATLY change the outcome of this game type. Now, Take with that, quite a few players (All of us) are having to play vs players that are not only on a team (in a group), they severely out gear everyone. It become s a farmfest and not fun very quickly. That due to the filters not working or that the player base is low enough that any match is better than no match so the system makes groups....any groups.

All those variables don't guarantee anything.

Being rep 20 with 108 gear doesn't make you good, and being level 1 with no gear at all doesn't make you bad. People on mics help the team work, but doesn't guarantee a victory.

Seeing there is no Honor (aka 1v1) in Dominion, if you take all the aforementioned information and 2v1 3v1 and the blessed 4v1 become common. Also, now factor in they have cut the balls off of revenge...it makes the game mode....terrible. literally just being farmed in record times.

By that logic, the only "honorable" game mode is Duel, since all others allow the option for 1v2+ combat.
I fear too many players have grown to rely far too heavily on the old Revenge. You were never supposed to go into 1v2+ engagements and expect to win.

Dominion is a team based mode. 4v4, working together.

It's not 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.

Gray360UK
04-29-2017, 12:40 PM
I think this is just what's known as having a bad game. It happens, all the time, in just about every online team PvP game I have ever played. You can be playing Battlefield 1 and notice the opposing team has a load of players with the same clan tag. Chances are you will get stomped. Back in my World of Warcraft days, there was one Horde team that would turn up, full raid gear, all on voice chat, healers and buffers keeping the tanks and dps up no matter how hard we hit them. We would get stomped.

You either rage quit, get your own group of friends, or suck it up. I really don't think you can try to ban good teams / teamwork in team PvP. At the end of the day, they are doing it right, the solo guys in random PUGs are technically the ones doing it wrong, even if they are the majority and the norm. You can't penalize people for being good.

One thing they could do is matchmake pre-made teams against other pre-made teams only, but with the low population and non-existant matchmaking we currently have, this is probably asking too much and pre-made teams would end up sitting in the queue for hours. This also gets awkward when their team is only 3 players, then you're going to need randoms to fill the empty slots.

Being honest, I see good coordinated enemy teams far less in For Honor than in other games. Still seems to be a random lottery of total strangers with widely varying gear and levels 99% of the time.

CitizenPuddi
04-29-2017, 12:42 PM
in dominion, if the enemy team is trying to 4v1 someone, that means at minimum there are two objective points undefended and ripe for the taking

if they're trying to 3v1 someone, that means there is at least one objective point undefended and another one defended by just one person-- ripe for the taking if you bring a friend or are better than the lone defender

they trying to just 2v1? buddy up and even the odds

if the enemy team is focused more on killing and treating dominion like a match of skirmish, they'll just wind up losing with high kda if you focus on objectives and group up to attack when they're breaking

Mia.Nora
04-29-2017, 12:44 PM
In League of Legends if you want to play as premade, you only face other premades. Riot does not allow premades to faceroll solo queuers.

But they have a stable playerbase, while For Honor is scraping the bottom for being able to form a lobby, and fails to do so except peak time in a lot of regions.

But I agree, something has to be done for premades facerolling solo queuers.

AKDagriZ
04-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Why dont i play another game mode you ask? I cant connect to one. Haven't been able to for a week. However,that is beside the point. I think Dominion should be a solo queue. I think it will help IMMENSELY or at least until the filters are working.

Thoughts?

i was playing dominion for the most . ganking is an aspect of dominion game but i've almost stopped playing dominion for that reason . i only play dominion with friend or with my brother cause it is his prefered mode

I don' find ganking funny in this game . i enjoy 2 v 1 but i dont find anything interesting on either being ganked or ganking other player . this is why lately i almost only play duel and brawl and some elimination. Ganking is not always a thing in elimination

AKDagriZ
04-29-2017, 12:51 PM
in dominion, if the enemy team is trying to 4v1 someone, that means at minimum there are two objective points undefended and ripe for the taking

if they're trying to 3v1 someone, that means there is at least one objective point undefended and another one defended by just one person-- ripe for the taking if you bring a friend or are better than the lone defender

they trying to just 2v1? buddy up and even the odds

if the enemy team is focused more on killing and treating dominion like a match of skirmish, they'll just wind up losing with high kda if you focus on objectives and group up to attack when they're breaking

yea you said it all

Evilpact
04-29-2017, 01:16 PM
In League of Legends if you want to play as premade, you only face other premades. Riot does not allow premades to faceroll solo queuers.

But they have a stable playerbase, while For Honor is scraping the bottom for being able to form a lobby, and fails to do so except peak time in a lot of regions.

But I agree, something has to be done for premades facerolling solo queuers.

this.

CitizenPuddi
04-29-2017, 01:22 PM
I wonder if there's anything that can be done without largely excluding groups of friends altogether, playerbase being what it is.

SwellChemosabe
04-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Even without a group of friends and a party chat it's still possible to work as an effective team with players you don't even know. Implementing situational awareness could provide much needed support for your team. So this guy is holding the objective? Ok, I'll head over to the battlefield objective and make that my priority till it's cleared or someone else needs help. No one's reviving anyone? Roger that, I'll be your medic! I've been in plenty of games where the players have an unspoken understanding of each others roles in a match. So it's not always about the team that's stomping you being in communication with one another.

Also, You should never go into a match expecting the enemy team, or yours for that matter, to be honorable and let you and your opponent duke it out 1v1. It's a pleasant surprise when it happens but more often than not you're going to get ganged up on. My suggestion would be to just practice with friends or just intentionally put yourself in 4v1 situations until you learn to handle it just as easily as 1v1. It takes a lot of practice but F**k if you aren't the baddest Mofo in the match if you can pull it off.

SnugglesIV
04-29-2017, 01:53 PM
All those variables don't guarantee anything.

Being rep 20 with 108 gear doesn't make you good, and being level 1 with no gear at all doesn't make you bad. People on mics help the team work, but doesn't guarantee a victory.

By that logic, the only "honorable" game mode is Duel, since all others allow the option for 1v2+ combat.
I fear too many players have grown to rely far too heavily on the old Revenge. You were never supposed to go into 1v2+ engagements and expect to win.

Dominion is a team based mode. 4v4, working together.

It's not 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.

Nobody is saying that coms and full gear guarantee the victory. I have beaten several teams where there are 108s on their side and at best we have a 90 GS player. What we are saying is that grouping with a full team of people who you know and are willing to communicate and work together will give you a much greater advantage over a team of randoms who may or may not be willing to communicate or work together. In many team games, this advantage is accounted for in the match maker by trying to match up a full group against either another full group/two duos/team of three and a random to offset the natural advantage.

Ultimately what you're suggesting is a fantasy. Ideally, a group of strangers will try to communicate strategy and perhaps call out GB attempts or CC in team fights, in order to work towards a common goal. However this is rarely the case. Often people don't even use their mics or may not even have one connected, so when you are matched against a full team you generally get stomped as it is hard to offset the massive difference in coordination.

kweassa1917
04-29-2017, 01:58 PM
It's a premade problem, not a game mode problem. Totally irrelevant.

In principle premades should be only matched with premades, but PUGs with only PUGs. Although reality of online gaming rarely sees principles kept.

Evilpact
04-29-2017, 03:00 PM
It's a premade problem, not a game mode problem. Totally irrelevant.

In principle premades should be only matched with premades, but PUGs with only PUGs. Although reality of online gaming rarely sees principles kept.

Then a team queue and a solo queue. If you read what i wrote.....its growing pointless to solo queue. about 1 out of 9 are competitive matches. The rest are steamrolls. You may think that's working as intended....as the filters are BROKEN...i assure you it is not.

if only someone would have said....

kweassa1917
04-29-2017, 03:41 PM
The problem is, separation of queues isn't much of a big deal with a game with huge player base -- for example WoW in its prime.

However, for a game with smaller number of overall players and niche group of enthusiasts, the separation means available player pool is cut down even smaller. It's not much of a big problem for solo-queuers in that absolute majority of casual players usually go solo to play a few matches randomly, but for team-queues, the available player pool is much, much, much smaller -- meaning the waiting time for matchmaking could potentially go up a LOT, and they'll be seeing same opponent groups over and over again.

Besides, the skill variance is usually much higher for premades in that higher level players who really want to be "competitive" tend to make teams -- whereas in normal, random PUGs you'll sometimes meet cakewalk opponents, other times outmatched terribly, and a lot of times opponents of similar skill level, in a premade queue with a smaller playerbase, it is highly likely you'll meet the "deathsquad" of super-talented players all grouped together, over and over again. People usually make premades to enjoy easier wins, and instead, they'll be meeting other premades that they've got no chance of beating, which is problematic.

It's something which requires a lot of consideration for the devs, and a risky move.