PDA

View Full Version : I shot down a friendly on Birds of Prey, ban me!

Jumoschwanz
05-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I was flying on Birds of Prey server this evening, it is full real with speedbar. I flew up behind a plane from dead behind on the deck in the fog and shot it down. It was a friendly. The guy was in a dogfight I watched and one of the planes went down. When it announced who had done the shooting I recognized it as someone who had been on the other team so I went after him. He had switched sides, on this scripted server, so not I or anyone else knew he was blue at the time.
The guy I shot down cried bloody murder. Not surprising, I might do the same thing at first. I got pi$$ed off though when the guy went on and on and on about it. First he said he was going to have me banned from some server I never heard of, Then he asked me if I just got the game yesterday, Then he said something about my ability to ID planes, then he said he was surprised that someone that had as many hours on the game as me could make such a mistake, and that was not the end of it but I am sure you get the idea.

I really wanted to, as I have in the past, let go with a salvo of four letter words. I kept my cool pretty much though. I told the guy that what I did would be hard to understand for someone like himself that never makes mistakes! That was a good one huh? But it was apparently over the head of the intended target because he kept at it, so I told him I was just some kind of a dumba$$ I guess.

On a full real server, anyone with a great number of hours on should not shoot down that many friendly craft. And I don't. That was the first time I have in as long as I can remember.

What absolutely should not surprise anyone that has experience flying full real, is that someone is shot down by a friendly. It happens all the time. And the more hours you fly on full real, the more the odds are that the time will come for you.
It was a fun server. Birds of Prey is a great full real server, smooth as silk. But the mood was put in the $hitter as this "pilot" went on and on about what a moron I was. Poeple started quitting the server, and soon it was just me and another blue,(big mouth had switched sides back to red),and four reds.

The death of a good server is always whining and crying. Nothing ruins the atmosphere more. Sure in the past I have done my share of cursing and crying and whining, but not since I have grown to see what it does to everyone's good time. These days I try and put things on the chat to keep others informed or make things light and fun. I have been flying on HL for three years and on other services before that. This is how I know what makes a server pathetic; pathetic use of the chat feature.

IF some moron like myself friendly kills you and you have to get even. Maybe next time instead of ruining it for everyone and turning the server into a crying kindergarten classroom, just keep your pie-hole shut, switch teams and shoot the **** out of me ok ace?
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam and thanks for your time. I will get out my little plane silouhette flashcards and practice so someday I can be flawless. Until then can I please still fly on HL?

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I was flying on Birds of Prey server this evening, it is full real with speedbar. I flew up behind a plane from dead behind on the deck in the fog and shot it down. It was a friendly. The guy was in a dogfight I watched and one of the planes went down. When it announced who had done the shooting I recognized it as someone who had been on the other team so I went after him. He had switched sides, on this scripted server, so not I or anyone else knew he was blue at the time.
The guy I shot down cried bloody murder. Not surprising, I might do the same thing at first. I got pi$$ed off though when the guy went on and on and on about it. First he said he was going to have me banned from some server I never heard of, Then he asked me if I just got the game yesterday, Then he said something about my ability to ID planes, then he said he was surprised that someone that had as many hours on the game as me could make such a mistake, and that was not the end of it but I am sure you get the idea.

I really wanted to, as I have in the past, let go with a salvo of four letter words. I kept my cool pretty much though. I told the guy that what I did would be hard to understand for someone like himself that never makes mistakes! That was a good one huh? But it was apparently over the head of the intended target because he kept at it, so I told him I was just some kind of a dumba$$ I guess.

On a full real server, anyone with a great number of hours on should not shoot down that many friendly craft. And I don't. That was the first time I have in as long as I can remember.

What absolutely should not surprise anyone that has experience flying full real, is that someone is shot down by a friendly. It happens all the time. And the more hours you fly on full real, the more the odds are that the time will come for you.
It was a fun server. Birds of Prey is a great full real server, smooth as silk. But the mood was put in the $hitter as this "pilot" went on and on about what a moron I was. Poeple started quitting the server, and soon it was just me and another blue,(big mouth had switched sides back to red),and four reds.

The death of a good server is always whining and crying. Nothing ruins the atmosphere more. Sure in the past I have done my share of cursing and crying and whining, but not since I have grown to see what it does to everyone's good time. These days I try and put things on the chat to keep others informed or make things light and fun. I have been flying on HL for three years and on other services before that. This is how I know what makes a server pathetic; pathetic use of the chat feature.

IF some moron like myself friendly kills you and you have to get even. Maybe next time instead of ruining it for everyone and turning the server into a crying kindergarten classroom, just keep your pie-hole shut, switch teams and shoot the **** out of me ok ace?
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam and thanks for your time. I will get out my little plane silouhette flashcards and practice so someday I can be flawless. Until then can I please still fly on HL?

Jumoschwanz

LEXX_Luthor
05-31-2004, 11:44 PM
And they Whine about Fantasy planes as a problem

"You will still have FB , you will lose nothing" ~WUAF_Badsight
"I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait..." ~Bearcat99
"Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age" ~ElAurens
:
"Damn.....Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

arcadeace
06-01-2004, 12:00 AM
I haven't participated in the forum much of late and I find it unusual responding to you, especially since I don't fly online. I usually don't care for people who bring such quarrels in here, for obvious reasons, but I can understand your frustration. If its as you say the guy's a complete baby and to your credit you didn't mention the jerk's name. You had your moment to vent, hopefully it will be your last http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/222_1082457373_222_1082441075_airaces.jpg

Dolemite-
06-01-2004, 12:05 AM
I doubt the admin of that server really cares if someone shoots down one friendly plane, its player abuse that gets people banned, not 1 TK.
Hyper lobby also has its own forums. So if you have a dispute you can take it over there.

T_O_A_D
06-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Mistakes happen. Was it a historical plane set? Axis against Allied. If so I understand his gripe. But he probalbly moaned about it too long.

My problem with full real is the player often forget to put on country markings and if the plane set is open any type both sides its a major PIA I have shot down my share of freindlies because of this. So I no longer fly open full real planes sets anymore.

Have you checked your Private Topics recently? (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=ugtpc&s=400102)
My TrackIR fix, Read the whole thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=15310285&p=1)
131st_Toad's Squad link (http://www.geocities.com/vfw_131st/)
http://home.mchsi.com/~131st_vfw/T_O_A_D.jpg

Osiris_X9
06-01-2004, 01:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:

Jumoschwanz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jumoschwanz. I'm one of the admin and owner of the Warbirds Birds of Prey servers. I just want to say that I'm sry that you had such an experience today . I know how you must feel because I've shot down friendlys in the past and been chewed out by the persons that I've shot down. Near full real is very hard to fly and get used to at first and at times very frustrating. I and the other Admins of the Birds of Prey server are currently working on a solution to cut down on the friendly kills and believe we have come up with a solution. But for now just hang in there keep your chin up and dont let someone elses bad behavior ruin your experience. I know who you are and you are always welcome on any of the Warbirds Of Prey servers. Team kills happen and they happened in real life too, the amin of the Warbirds of Prey servers are not going to go ballistic over tk-ing as long as it is not done on purpose. What we care about is that you increase your skill and keep learning because not only does that make you a better pilot, but it makes others around you better too. Salute and hang in there.

RAF238thOsiris

Jumoschwanz
06-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Well that is bad news. I did not say anything in this thread about full real servers should be "improved". I actually prefer full real servers. I prefer to have to identify the target I am going to shoot at. I had no problem with the Birds of Prey server or any other full real/no icons server, they are the best ones period. I was pi$$ed off at someone in the server.

Being killed by friendly fire because of mistaken ID is part of any war. Look at today's newspapers about Iraq. Full real servers are cool exactly because they recreate the pitfalls of actual combat more closely than servers with more "arcadeish" settings.
What my thread was railing against were those who go into a server that has it's full real settings posted and allows ground attack in it's brief, then proceed to cry when their planes or virtual lives are destroyed by the terms of the server.
These are the ones who have assigned the word "vulching" and it's negative connotation to GROUND ATTACKS.
Please don't water/dumb down Birds of Prey server to cater to the average HL pilot. Because the average HL pilot is not that smart or that good. Instead run the servers full real and let the masses rise to the level of the servers. IT is hard to find non-compromising, full-real servers on HL for the same reason it is hard to find anything else in this world that is uncompromised.

Jumoschwanz

ucanfly
06-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I don't fly online that often but suggest that full real servers have the following charateristics:

1) Historical matchups i.e. limited planesets that adhere to the same time frame.
2) No open planesets - - i.e. stick with Allied vs. Axis (no LAs vs. Mustangs for example). Even if someone does not use markings at least plane ID can be used in this instance.
3) No skin downloads - Force markings to be used, and mention that in all briefings.
4) NO dawn or dusk stuff (or very limited) or anything worse than poor weather.

Billy_BigBoy
06-02-2004, 03:46 AM
Blue-on-Blue happens, that's a fact, even in real life. And it has not much to do with recognation skills, it's more the heat of the fight, false decission when it's either him or you.
Besides AEP I play Lock On, and the Blue-on-Blue killratio is much higher in this game. Just a dot on a radarscreen without a label could be a MiG (east or west) or an Eagle, and one missile is usualy enough to bring down a plane without ever knowing it was a friend or a foe.
So don't be too sorrow, it just happens to almost every simpilot one day. (Me too, killing another Eagle with an AMRAAM)

http://www.forumsigs.com/users/Billy_BigBoy586/Billy_mod.jpg

Hawgdog
06-02-2004, 04:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by arcadeace:
If its as you say the guy's a complete baby and to your credit you didn't mention the jerk's name. You had your moment to vent, hopefully it will be your last http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, what he said