PDA

View Full Version : Various Questions

Lateralus_17SS
08-14-2004, 03:44 PM
How does the MW-50 boost system work? I usually just turned it on right before turning over the engine, and didn't touch it at all, just let it run out of fuel on its own. The engine ran fine the entire time.

For a while I thought this was the ideal way, but then I did a little research on it, only to find myself even more confused than before.

I read that it should only be used when the plane is going fast, and with the throttle fully back to achieve low RPMs, engage MW50, then throttle fully forward to 110%. Then, to disengage MW50, throttle fully back for low RPMs, disengage, then throttle back up. This seems like a bad idea when one has an enemy on his six and is trying to squeeze every ounce of speed out his aircraft.

Another said only to engage MW50 while at 110% throttle, and don't move throttle away from 110%.

I'm looking for maximum performance; increased engine degredation doesn't much matter to me as long as the engine doesn't conk out in mid-flight. Don't tell me to do it a certain way 'because any otherwill cause engine damage after 20 hours of flight' or somesuch; usually a sortie in a dogfight server doesn't last 20 minutes, much less 20 hours.

What are the differences between the Soviet rockets? Some of the loadout options include RS-82, RS-132, BRS-82, BRS-132, and M-13. I think the -82 and -132 indicate the weight or size, but what about the letters? The M-13 rockets look a lot different, how are those different from the others?

What are AJ-2 Cassettes?

What are AO-10s?

The Soviet general purpose bombs seem to be called FAB-x, where x = the weight of the bomb. What are the VAP bombs?

On certain models of MiG-3, one can select BK 12.7mm gunpods. What is BK? Are these the same as the UB 12.7mm machine guns found on many early war Soviet aircraft?

Regarding the German bombs, what are the differences between them? The SC bombs I think are general purpose, but what are the AB, PC and SD bombs? How are they best utilized?

Lateralus_17SS
08-14-2004, 03:44 PM
How does the MW-50 boost system work? I usually just turned it on right before turning over the engine, and didn't touch it at all, just let it run out of fuel on its own. The engine ran fine the entire time.

For a while I thought this was the ideal way, but then I did a little research on it, only to find myself even more confused than before.

I read that it should only be used when the plane is going fast, and with the throttle fully back to achieve low RPMs, engage MW50, then throttle fully forward to 110%. Then, to disengage MW50, throttle fully back for low RPMs, disengage, then throttle back up. This seems like a bad idea when one has an enemy on his six and is trying to squeeze every ounce of speed out his aircraft.

Another said only to engage MW50 while at 110% throttle, and don't move throttle away from 110%.

I'm looking for maximum performance; increased engine degredation doesn't much matter to me as long as the engine doesn't conk out in mid-flight. Don't tell me to do it a certain way 'because any otherwill cause engine damage after 20 hours of flight' or somesuch; usually a sortie in a dogfight server doesn't last 20 minutes, much less 20 hours.

What are the differences between the Soviet rockets? Some of the loadout options include RS-82, RS-132, BRS-82, BRS-132, and M-13. I think the -82 and -132 indicate the weight or size, but what about the letters? The M-13 rockets look a lot different, how are those different from the others?

What are AJ-2 Cassettes?

What are AO-10s?

The Soviet general purpose bombs seem to be called FAB-x, where x = the weight of the bomb. What are the VAP bombs?

On certain models of MiG-3, one can select BK 12.7mm gunpods. What is BK? Are these the same as the UB 12.7mm machine guns found on many early war Soviet aircraft?

Regarding the German bombs, what are the differences between them? The SC bombs I think are general purpose, but what are the AB, PC and SD bombs? How are they best utilized?

Dawg-of-death
08-14-2004, 08:31 PM
MW-50 boost ?
What is that..............

S~

Bad-MF(Mongrel Fighter) AKA .......Dawg-of-death

WaffenKatze
08-14-2004, 09:19 PM
- Another said only to engage MW50 while at 110% throttle, and don't move throttle away from 110%. -

way of ruin engine.. dont do it with 109 but may be dora 45 model and Ta.. dunno exactly

- This seems like a bad idea when one has an enemy on his six and is trying to squeeze every ounce of speed out his aircraft.-

yep, but much better than lose engine power.

AirBot
08-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Engage MW50 at low RPMs to avoid damaging the engine. You can do this on the ground if you wish. The boost system only kicks in when above 100% throttle, so even if you have engaged the system on the ground, you won't be wasting it during cruise. (As long as you don't cruise at above 100% power, of course.)

Lateralus_17SS
08-15-2004, 01:50 PM
So no one on this forum knows the answer to any of my other questions?

Zeus-cat
08-15-2004, 07:25 PM

Russian
RS-82 - Unguided Rocket (light armor and soft targets)
RS-132 - Unguided Rocket (light armor and soft targets)
BRS-82 - Unguided Anti-Armor Rocket
BRS-132 - Unguided Anti-Armor Rocket
M-13 - Unguided Incendiary Rocket (soft targets and area)
FAB-50 - General Purpose Bomb (50 Kg) (light armor and soft targets)
FAB-100 - General Purpose Bomb (100 Kg) (light armor, buildings and soft targets)
FAB-250 - General Purpose Bomb (250 Kg) (anti-tank, buildings and bridges)
AJ-2 - Cluster Bombs (2Kg) (soft targets and area)
AO-10 - Cluster Bombs (10Kg) (soft targets and area)
PTAB-2.5 - Anti-Armor Cluster Bombs (2.5Kg)
VAP-250 - Napalm-Like Canisters (250Kg)(soft targets and area)

German
SC50 - General Purpose Bomb (50 Kg) (light armor and soft targets)
SC250 - General Purpose Bomb (250 Kg) (anti-tank and bridges)
SC500 - General Purpose Bomb (500 Kg) (anti-tank and bridges)
AB250 - Cluster Bomb
AB500 - Cluster Bomb
SD500 - Fragmenation Bomb (535Kg)

I think BK and UB refer to the manufacturer of the gun.

Zeus-cat

WTE_Galway
08-15-2004, 07:46 PM
the german AB is a sub-munitions container

basically ...
SC = SPRENGBOMBE CYLINDRICH (thin cased general purpose).
PC = PANZERBOMBE CYLINDRICH (armour piercing).
SD = SPRENGBOMBE DICKWANDIG (thick cased semi-armour piercing).
LC = LICHT CYLINDRISCHE (LC 50 parachute flare).

in detail:

SC = SPRENGBOMBE CYLINDRICH - designed for maximum blast effect having a high charge-to-weight ratio of 55 per cent explosive SC bombs were used primarily for general demolition. Approximately 8 out of 10 of German high explosive bombs dropped on the U.K. were of the SC type. Sizes included 50 kg, 250 kg, 500 kg, 1000 kg "Hermann", and the 1800 kg "Satan". There was even a 2500 kg type although rarely used.

PC = PANZERBOMBE CYLINDRICH - Having a charge-to-weight ratio of 20% explosive, because of their penetration qualities they were used primarily against ships and fortifications. The 1400 kg "Fritz" is a good example of this type.

SD = SPRENGBOMBE DICKWANDIG - Medium cased steel weapons and, being either anti-personnel or semi-armour piercing, had a charge-to-weight ratio of 35 per cent explosive; 50, 250, 500 and 1700 kg versions.

LC = LICHT CYLINDRISCHE - About the same size as a conventional SC 50 bomb, hence its designation "50". Used for target illumination and marking at night.

Lateralus_17SS
08-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses everyone, very helpful.